Respiratory Disorders Community
Lost....looking for suggestions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Lost....looking for suggestions

I'll keep it as succinct as possible. Might be better placed in another forum but I thought I'd start here. None of my symptoms are chronic or prevent me from doing everything I normally do but nonetheless I'm eager to get to the bottom of things. The respiratory element of the symptoms developed suddenly.

I've had a small muscular type stiffness/soreness/pressing feeling under my right rib cage for 6/7 months. I presumed it was muscular. At the end of that period a feeling of skin surface tenderness developed along my right side over a couple of days. Over the same couple of days and maybe a bit before when I ate a large meal this feeling under my right rib cage became much more noticable to the point of significant discomfort, this lasted for only a couple of days and hasn't returned to the same degree. Over a couple of days following that period I had minor cold like symptoms (may not be related) with a slightly peculiar feeling in my chest.

Roughly 4/5 days following that I developed a slow inhale and a very slow exhale (during these 4/5 days I was doing a fair bit of gym work which may have irritated something). There was no cough, no sputum and only a marginal shortness of breath compared to normal. The whole top half of my body was "lifting" when I was breathing and it seemed to take an age to breathe out but I never felt the need to force breath out, I can't be certain but it seemed to be my diaphragm that was taking an age not my lungs. When I tried to breathe in such a way that it isolated all muscles (ie used the bare minimum of muscles ) it felt almost normal to breathe. It passed after 3/4 days and I felt almost completely normal for a few days like it had all gone away. Now it has come back a week later but not to the same degree. At the worst of it I had a feeling I could only describe as extremely peculiar, it wasn't flu like, or cold like just very odd. My legs felt very light. Another symptom I feel is it's as if I have a "dry" respiratory system. Still no cough, no sputum and only a very marginal shortness of breath. Again this seems to be resulting from the right side under the rib cage an all through this the "something" on my right side under the rib cage hasn't gone away. These symptoms seem to magnify a fair bit when I stay up very late, which I need to do some days.

I've had a chest x-ray (though this was done before the worst of the symptoms arrived), bloods and an ultrasound. All normal except for an enlarged spleen within normal limits. I've been on a course of anti-inflammatorys with no change. Normal appetite, not losing weight, normal bodily functions except perhaps for a noticably reduced tolerance for alcohol. The doctor thinks he might have felt something on the "muscle wall" of my chest area that's catching me when I breathe. Can an irritated muscle result in respiratory symptoms? I'm not sure.

I have sympathy with my doctor, it's not easy to diagnose nor am I looking at anyone to diagnose it here. But I am at a loss and would like suggestions on what tests I should push for to be done or what the doctor could look at a cause. I understand the symptoms may not all be related. It's just very perplexing and I wouldn't be concerned except for that fact it's giving me this very, very odd feeling. A feeling I've never felt before.

Thanks for reading.
You can do this breathing technique, twice a day, and let me know, how long you can do it, after 7 days. Later I will post other techniques to help your body get back to normal.Stop or reduce the gym activity. You will feel the benefit of pranayam in the next 9 days, as you do it twice a day.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
June 10, 2011