Low Lung Capacity
Hi there, I was diagnosed by my GP as having ashma but when the meds did not work I went to a specialist who told me that I did not have ashma but a lung capacity of 66%.

I am 36 years and am relatively fit but battle on the cardio side - though I do cycle and run regular.

However, he did not tell me anything expect that nothing can be done to help me and that I will always battle with cardio.  What does this mean for me long term and will cardio help increase my lung capacity?  Is there anything else I can do?

Any advice would be really helpful as I am feeling a bit lost as what to do.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.

It needs to be seen, what has caused your decreased lung capacity. If it is due to causes like Asthma, it causes bronchospasm, so bronchodilators can help relieve that and lung function can be improved. But if it is due to permanent damage like fibrosis, the lung function cannot be reversed. And if you are a smoker and have developed long standing lung infections/inflammation it can compromise your lung function.  Breathlessness on exertion could be due to the decreased lung function. To improve lung function practice breathing exercises and quit smoking.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.