Respiratory Disorders Community
Low oxygen level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Low oxygen level

My father was recently told that his oxygen level drops to the low 60's while he is sleeping.  How low can it drop and still be safe?
Your father may have sleep apnea.  He can get an overnight sleep study test in his home.  If it is sleep apnea, he should probably be put on oxygen at night while he sleeps.  The 60's is very low and I doubt that it is safe that low.  
Anything under 90% is too low.  If he has sleep apnea, he needs to be on CPAP or BIPAP at the minimum.  O2 will not do him any good if he isn't breathing!  He might be able to have a sleep study in his home, but more than likely they will want him to go to a sleep center.  It's not really that bad, I've had 5 and survived.  Untreated sleep apnea leads to added work for the heart so it can enlarge and cause heart muscle disease, as well as high blood pressure, arrhythmias, weight gain, etc.  It is nothing to fool with.
Have you ever  heard of anyone on 10 liters of oxygen? I was shocked to hear that a friend was placed on the amount. A different doctor changed it to 5.
I thought it could lead to brain damage to go that high.