Respiratory Disorders Community
Low oxygen levels while standing and moving

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have COPD with Asthma and also Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, and Multiple Sclerosis. I am currently on 6L of O2 24/7. I use a BIPAP at night, and several times during the day when napping. I use a walker most times in the house and occasionally use my power chair too. My oxygen drops from 92 while sitting to 80 when standing up. I am having extreme difficulty staying in a standing position and trying to move about the house. When in the kitchen I have to hang on and lean on the counter top to keep standing...while I try to cook, and prepare my meals. I don't know what to do that will enable me to stay upright and get anything done. My pulmo doc says it''s the MS, my neuro says it' the copd, I don't care what it is,I just want to be able to function better. Oh, I also have an immune defiency and get IV IGg treatments via a port every three weeks. The treatments are about in excess of 4,000 a month and still I can't stand up for very long. What should I do?? Thank you in advance
You asked "What should I do?"
I have one exercise for you, which will gradually increase your oxygen level and help you in getting better.Come back to report your progress and I will be able to suggest more exercises.
Build up your timing very gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Avatar n tn
Thank you. I'll give it a try. I  have never heard of an exercise like that, but I'm willing to give anything a try. I appreciate the input. Have a great day!