Respiratory Disorders Community
Low oxygen levels while standing and moving

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have COPD with Asthma and also Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, and Multiple Sclerosis. I am currently on 6L of O2 24/7. I use a BIPAP at night, and several times during the day when napping. I use a walker most times in the house and occasionally use my power chair too. My oxygen drops from 92 while sitting to 80 when standing up. I am having extreme difficulty staying in a standing position and trying to move about the house. When in the kitchen I have to hang on and lean on the counter top to keep standing...while I try to cook, and prepare my meals. I don't know what to do that will enable me to stay upright and get anything done. My pulmo doc says it''s the MS, my neuro says it' the copd, I don't care what it is,I just want to be able to function better. Oh, I also have an immune defiency and get IV IGg treatments via a port every three weeks. The treatments are about in excess of 4,000 a month and still I can't stand up for very long. What should I do?? Thank you in advance
You asked "What should I do?"
I have one exercise for you, which will gradually increase your oxygen level and help you in getting better.Come back to report your progress and I will be able to suggest more exercises.
Build up your timing very gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Thank you. I'll give it a try. I  have never heard of an exercise like that, but I'm willing to give anything a try. I appreciate the input. Have a great day!