Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Low oxygen levels

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Low oxygen levels

A friend of mine has very low oxygen levels. In june she had an infection of somekind in her lungs that took over a month of antibiotics to get rid of.  She uses an inhaler and used it more often then. She had thrush mouthalso at this time. Her breathing got worse over the last 6 months. She went to the doctor and they put her on oxygen to raise her levels. One doctor said her blood was going the wrong way in her heart. The heart doctor erformed tests and said he could find nothing wrong with her heart and sent her to a lung doctor. The lung doctor said he could find nothing wrong with her lungs and it must be her heart. Her blood count in Dec. was 13-16. Her breathing is getting worse even though she is on oxygen all the time now. Her lips are blueand her fingertips are blue. Before she started the oxygen her lips and fingers were blue, but after she started the oxygen they were fine for about 30 days. now they are blue again. She can't walk as far as she did and it is afting her memory. Has anyone got any ideals to what is going on? thank you for your help
Your friend has either lung or heart disease.  As you mentioned one of your friend
Look up interstitial lung disease, and restrictive lung disease. She needs a CT of her lungs. For some people, they progress rapidly. The outlook in these diseases is very poor if they progress rapidly. Lung transplant is the only long term solution in the worst cases. As far as it being her heart, it should show up on an echocardiogram (heart ultrasound) if it is heart related.
Her lung doctor says her lungs are fine. She has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Her heart doctor says it is not this or anything else with her heart. She is going to Duke to the doctors. She has had a TTN., EKG, Elecardiogram, Blood work,Breathing test, Blood gases, Alcohol ablation, Catherization, Cat scan for blood clots, just a cat scan,sonagram, cat scan-vititus, x-rays. she is going to be admitted on March 22, to try some medications to see if they help. They don't know whats wrong, but they are going to medicate her.  We met a man who told us there was something wrong with his blood and he was in her position about a year ago. that the doctors liked to not have found it. I know it was not low iron but I don't remember what he said it was. Does anyone know what will cause this to happen? Thank you.
hasn't anyone thought of the possibility that her CO2 level is too LOW maybe? Because then you wont be able to absorb enough oxygen in your blood.

Just read a bit about Buteyko, it could help...

http://www.buteyko.ru/eng/method.shtml
Actually my mother is 48yrs. old ,shr is suffering from interstitial lungs disease for the last 5 years.She is seeking oxygen therapy at home for 19 hrs. per day. She is taking (omnacortil 5mg) medicine daily .
Wow.  I'm glad I found this post, although now I'm scared I need more tests.  Check out my super long post toward the end of the main menu.
A related discussion, light headedness was started.
A related discussion, low oxygen level was started.
A related discussion, Low Oxygen level was started.
A related discussion, low oxygen was started.