Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lump in Lung

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lump in Lung

My husband is in Korea with the Army.  He had a chest x-ray and they found a lump in the top part of his lungs and bottom part of his traec. They also stated his white cell count was high. I am not sure of how high the level was. He also had an ECG the a result stated a marked sinus bradycadia abnormal rythm.  He had a chest x-ray 6 months ago and there was no sign of this.  Please help me figure out what this could mean.  He is going in for more test on Wednesday but I just cannot wait that long. I need some more answers.  
Thank you,
Kristina Carlson
Since the chest x-ray done 6 months ago was normal it is unlikely that the "lumps" are cancerous.  However, certain types of tumors, for example those called lymphomas, grow rapidly.  The high white cell count could be a response to tumors or could be a sign of infection.  Some type of infection is most likely the cause of the high white cell count.

Your husband's doctors will have to do a variety of tests to find the problem.  These tests may include looking inside his lungs and taking tiny pieces of lung tissue for further testing.