Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lump in throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lump in throat

Hello.  I have been experiencing a sensation of a lump in the throat or tightness/pressure in my upper chest in combination with a pain in my back/spine at the same level of the feeling in my chest.  This feeling has persisted for about 4 weeks.  I don't seem to have diificulty breathing, although I do feel the sensation more when I breathe deeply. Could this be a respiratory problem?  Does this sound like anything you've heard of?  I'm trying to decide if I should see my PCP or if this will just go away.
It is very difficult to assess what you have described.  I would highly recommend seeing your primary care physician (PCP) to evaluate this problem.  This could be coming from a lot of different sources and can be easily evaluated.  Although you are not having any breathing problem, this does not rule out the lungs as a possible source of the discomfort.
That is funny that you should post this...because I have been experiencing the EXACT same symptoms as you are.  Lump in my throat, pain in chest that radiates straight back to my spine/chest.  I have a histroy of GERD and have a hiatal hernia.  Also had my gallbladder out last April.  I go to my gastro today at 1:15pm to talk to him about it. I will let you know what he says.  In the meantime, maybe someone will answer your post and we can both get some answers.

Melinda
I would be really interested to know what your doctor says.  It's a terrible feeling and I've been waiting for it to just disappear, but I get the feeling that it's not going to happen.
Mine is not going away either.  I have had this for about a month or so now.  My gastro set me up to have another endoscopy done.  My appointment is not until April 7th, so I won't have any more news until then.  The doc said it could be anything....but is probably related to my GERD.  I could have something called globus, which is the sensation of having a lump in your throat, but nothing is anantomically there.  Or I could have esophogeal strictures, which is a narrowing of the esophogeal wall due to constant reflux.  It really could be anything...it could even have something to do with your thyroid.  Anyway...I would encourage you to call your doc and see what can be done.  My PCP did not feel any lumps when feeling my throat and did not seem concerned, but I was not about to take that for my answer.  So, I went to my gastro and they will look down my throat with the camera to see what can be found.  Call your doc....this will not go away if it hasn't already and should be checked out.  I don't know how old you are, but I am only 31.  Docs seem to dismiss you if you are young as if you could not possibly have anything wrong.  Be persistant and let me know what they say.  I now have to wait two long months before my scope, and I will let you know the results when I have this procedure done.  Good luck!

Melinda
Thanks for the information!  I am going to my PCP next week, I'll let you know if they have anything useful to say.  I am 33 and normally in excellent health, very active, etc.  I appreciate you letting me know what your doctor told you.  

Colleen
I know...it is frustrating.  I am usually in good health, exercise and drink lots of water and try to stay away from fats.  I am glad that you are going to see your doc.  Be persistant that there is something wrong.  They may try to dismiss you if they can't feel something by pressing on your throat.  Ask to see a gastroenterologist or and ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat doc).  Do you have really bad pains in your back?   was just curious, because my back is killing me and I don't know if it's related or not.  Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Melinda
you could also have a cardiac arrythmia which can present itself like a lump in your throat...have it evaluated soon
I have been experincing the feeling that there is something stuck in my throat as well as diffuculties breathing.  I went to ears nose and throat doctor who said that he did'nt see anything, maybe a little rhinits.  He gave me something called nasal crom but it has'nt help at all.  Has anyone experienced the same.  If so are you cured of this problem and what did you do.
I am experiencing pain in my back and abdomen.  I had my gall bladder removed on May 14, 2003.  I am 32 years old and suffer from acid relux, gerd, you name it.  I thought I would feel much better after the surgery but I feel the same as before surgery.  I want the pain to go away!! I have the lump in the throat issue too.  I cant really eat anything.  I eat a lot of cereal.  It seems to soothe me.  I am trying to get an appointment with the gastro dr but he is booked.  Apparently, this illness is the "in" thing.  Lots of people suffer from it.  Nexium gives me bad headaches and even zantac bothers me.  I will keep telling my doctors how I feel.  I am scared that I am doing so much damage to my digestive system and esophagus.  I don't want the doctors to catch it when it's too late.....