Lung Issues
I recently did the overnight sleep study because my Doctor did the overnight oxygen level finger test and my oxygen level was at 66%.  When I did the sleep study I did not require the CPAP during the night however the tech told me my oxygen level were very low and I would have to discuss them with my doctor.  I am on oxygen at night currently until the results of the study.  In my past I have had a pulmonary embolisim and had a severe lung hemmorage from a bronchooscopy that went bad.  These were years apart.  Could it be possible that I might have lung issues causing my oxygen to be that low and not sleep apnea and would the overnight study indicate that?
How are your levels during the day? 66 is very low, I am glad that you are on O2 for that....The sleep study looks for apneas, how you move (restless legs/body), how often you go into the REM stage, O2 sat etc...As far as I know or remember from what I went through when I got mine done, that is what they look for. If your study doesn't show apnea, just desaturation then your doc probably will look into other causes and run some more tests like imagining (CT scan, xray etc..), pulmonary function tests (PFT"s) etc to find answers.
Good luck with getting answers...Sunny