Respiratory Disorders Community
Lung Nodules?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 601-636 comments:
I agree with antoit, and reply just to add positive emphasis.

Anything smaller than 2mm is likely not even noted.
Report said the 2 mm one is now a calcified granuloma and stable. The 3 mm one hasn't changed and is marked stable as well.  They said  no more follow ups needed...finally. I swear we aged10 years these last 18 months. Thanks everyone for your support!
YAY!! this calls for celebration!!!! Enjoy the news! :)
How is everyone else doing? It's been so quiet here?
Awesome news. I had a 5mm or so sized one found in March.  I was told to wait a year and after six months, I'm freaking out feeling like I should have one sooner.  I'm so glad everything with your husband turned out.  I hope I get the same news!  
Im going next month to check on a 5mm, 3mm & 4mm they found in April. I was supposed to wait a year. But I can't take it. I have to go next month.
Good luck.  Yours are very small.  Keep us posted on the results.  What are the characteristic of yours (size, type, etc.)?
Keep in mind "large" for lung nodules is generally considered over 1 cm, that is 10 mm.  Even a 1 cm can be benign if inactive/stable.  That's why there is a wait... give the nodule time to show growth if it is growing.  Besides, the number of CT scans one can take before it does damage is limited, just like X-ray.  It might be comforting to get one a month and be told nothing wrong, too bay the X-rays are killing you.
New to the group. I want in for a chest X-ray last week to check for plaque build up in arteries.  Got a call  few days later that they found a 12mm nodule on my lower left lung.  37 years old, never smoked.  This site has been extremely helpful at easing my mind. Doctor does not seem very worried but sending me for a ct scan tomorrow. Seems the size is larger than most on here have reported which is worrisome.  What should I be looking for tomorrow?
Guess, it is "tomorrow"... but doubt you'll have any readout on the CT for a few days.

I believe the CT will be a base-line, not an answer.  The answer is what happens over then next month or months when you get a follow up CT scan.  Activity is worrisome, stability is in general good news.

Best wishes
Thanks, they did actually get back with me the same day of the ct scan. Very fast. Only problem is I talked to the nurse and she was no help at all explaining all of this.  They have referred me to a pulmonologist next week. That doesn't sound good.  Here is what was on report:
No definite auxiliary, hilar, or mediastinal adenopathy is identified.  A irregular lobulated nodule is seen in left lower lung. App 1.5cm by 1.2cm. Adjacent additional satellite pulmonary nodules are demonstrated well with a "tree in bud" appearance.   Impression: findings are most just above an inflammatory process. While neoplasm is not completely excluded, this is thought to be less likely
It would going well beyond my knowledge to comment specifically on the meaning of your results.  I have heard the term "salt and pepper" to describe numerous small nodules.   Small is generally good, even if numerous.  

It is my guess that the over 1 cm size is the main concern and that by itself proves nothing, I believe.  Follow up is clearly indicated to see if there is growth in size - I'd think another look via CT would not be sooner than a couple of weeks as CT presents form radiation risk, which is lowered by limiting the number of scans.  My wife gets a scan at least a couple times a year.
Inflammatory process could mean something like histoplasmosis. Do you live in the midwest by chance? My husbands radiologist said that is what he likely has. The impressions on your report state neoplasm less likely. That is good news. Keep us posted as to what the doctor himself tells you. It's unfortunate he did not call you back himself so you could ask questions.
Thank you for the response.  I live in Nashville and the radiologist suggested the same thing. He said he sees this a lot with patients that live near caves?  I am scheduled to see a new doctor tomorrow at Vanderbilt. My guess is either a biospy or wait 3 months and a follow up ct scan.  
I never received a description just the size. Waiting is awful.
Thinking of you. Hope you got a good report from doc last week. Histoplasmosis is a fungus, so yes caves makes sense.
CT scheduled for Dec 17th Will me about  9 months since the first one. I couldn't wait till a year. Im so nervous. Not sure how i feel about doing it a week before christmas but whatever
I'm sure you'll do fine, every nodule is stable/benign.  Best you think that way too, as that is what matters.

Enjoy Thanksgiving and preparation for Christmas when you will celebrate the good news from you December 17, CT scan.

I say this because I believe the "odds" are all on your side, many, many people have nodules that are not cancerous.
Hi im new this the group . Im 21 and I found out about a month ago I have two nodules in my right lung 3-4mm and 7-8mm .I have bad anxiety And I also have like swollen glands I dont know if its from my nodules or not . But im very scared and I also have a son . Comments would help
Hi Howard,

While this thread appear to be a "blog" ... perhaps is in its own way.  I'd usually prefer someone start a new thread, rather than tie into a thread that is several years old.

That said/noted the only specifics I can make:
1) 3-4 mm is very small, rather common and usually not a problem.
2) 8 mm is approaching the "large size".. a centimeter being considered large in my understanding.
3) regardless of size, stability is the non-invasive way to determine not cancerous.  The key hope/objective.

I assume you'll have follow up with you doctor, if not I suggest you discuss a follow up after some time, perhaps a month to year, as the doctor think best.
Hello there, at age 21 it would be unlikely your nodules are cancerous...and the size makes them not very suspicious as well. Are you scheduled for a repeat CT scsn in a few months? If the nodules stay the same size odds are good, all is well.
Hello,  first post here.  Just need to vent a little bear with me pls.

I just retired last December 13, since then I have had a kidney stone with the usual renal colic, etc. In the process of diagnosing with CT and US they tell me I have liver disease and then tests for cirrhosis.   In the process of that, more US and MRI  they said I have kidney cysts, one of them complex which could be cancer.  So now more CT's for that and then finally on this last CT (november) I'm told I have a lung nodule.   This has been a hellish year for retirement.   On the bright side, now they don't believe I have cirrhosis and the complex kidney cysts don't appear cancerous on CT with contrast, so scans yearly on that.

On the lung nodule, the CT scan only went to lung bases so it just happened to show up on the very last slice/image at 4mm. Noted as middle lobe though.  No mention of borders, calcification/solid or not. I went and saw a pulmonologist and she said I need a full chest CT for baseline because there could be more nodules and this nodule showing up on the last slice might just be the 'tail' of a larger one.  This is all just crazy after all these other problems. I have NEVER smoked. She says I am low risk even tho I'm 59 and it is probably benign but have to check.

I'm just as anxious about all these scans. I've had a documented 110mSv of radiation fronm CT due to many many abdominal/pelvic CTs for kidney stones. Now I'm worried that this could cause a cancer.  I read 4mm is small but from everyone's experience, if it were cancer what is the average doubling time? Reason I ask is I want to put off this CT for awhile because I've already had more than the recommended amount of radiation this past year.

thanks
STABLE! AMEN! and ALLELUIA! He even said he doesnt think its necessary to do another one in a year! I didn't ask the sizes. Id rather just know they are stable and that be the end of it :)
At the moment what you have is a 4mm nodule in your lung which is, given the size, very low risk of being something dangerous and quite a common finding... It's not clear to me why your pulmonologist talked about multiple nodules before having a full chest CT scan....

Regarding the number of scans our body can take you are right...they are definitely NOT healthy. Few doctors are aware of that. The thing is that even if there is a risk due to radiation exposure it's still way lower than the risk of having you not having the scan and not knowing if something that needs treatment is there.

About the doubling time: this is uncertain. In case a nodule turns out to be a cancer the doubling time would depend of the kind of cells (kind of cancer)...There are many kind of lung cancer cells...some multiply very fast, some others extremely slow. Keep in mind that even benign nodules can grow...therefore the growing factor alone doesn't give a diagnosis...only a biopsy does.

Keep us updated if you like...

Congratulations and awesome news.  Perfect for the upcoming holidays!  I'll have my follow up on December 29.  My nodule is part-solid, which has me must more worried than solid.  Obviously, the hope is it is gone, smaller, or even stable.
Wishing all of you a wonderful holiday season and a healthy - happy New Year.  Have been busy and haven't been on line for awhile, nice to come on and see how everyone is doing.  Take Care, Julie
Wonderful news!
Finally got my results.  I won't go into the mess it's been to get, but so frustrating as you can imagine as it's been almost two weeks.  They said it's "probably" 0.6 x 0.4 cm and "probably stable."  I don't know if they always speak this language, but maybe it's to cover their butts as one can't be positive.  Happy with the results.  Will likely have my next scan in a year.

Best of luck to the all others.  This forum is fantastic.
Brad thanks for sharing the very good news about the CT scan!  Happy New Year.  Enjoy 2015.  
Julie, good to see you back on your thread.

The struggle here with cancerous lung nodules goes on.  Happily most of what I read here are nodules that are benign.  

Wishing all a great 2015, world news doesn't make me optimistic.
I had a Chest CT (w/o) in Oct. 14 and my oncologist said 'Oh, and there's no change in the 2mm nodule. Hmmm. Well it seems it was on the CT in Apr. 14 and that radiologist didn't mention it'.  He said he'd called the new guy and they looked back at my Chest CT from 2009 and it wasn't there but since I'd had 5 PET scans instead of CT scans since Feb. 2012, they couldn't compare.  I could not convince my onc to ask the new guy to look back at mid 2009 - Feb. 2012 to see how long it's been there.

The good news was there had been no change in that 6 months. I go tomorrow (at my insistence) for a 3 month CT scan.

I had colon cancer in Jan. 2009 and a liver met in Feb. 2012. I'm so very scared!  

The recommended follow ups for lung nodules do not include previous cancer patients for something that small.  
Since no on answered, I'll update.

Scan was fine.  My onc had the head of radiology check every scan I've ever had. He even went back to Jan. 2009 when the hospital had the old scanners and found the same 4 tiny nodules. (I thought 1)  They couldn't be measured against the newest machine but were same shape, number and appeared to be the same size.  

In Oct 2013 my PET / CT said NO CHANGE, referring to my first use of the new machine in April 2013.  In April 2014, since they had not changed for so long, they were no longer noted. In Oct. 2014, a new rad (just out of school) noted 1 that was 2mm and said it had not changed since the previous scan.  Head of radiology verified that nodule had always been there and so all four nodules have been declared benign.

1 is just under 4mm and 3 are 2mm or smaller.  Onc and radiologist said these are all benign due to being there on my first ever CT scan on Jan. 5th, 2009.
Awesome news Diane! Thanks for letting us know.
Hi Jerry, Glad to see your still on the site also.  Yes, I know what you mean - no optimism here either regarding the world news.  Take care, and Happy Valentine's Day.  How is your wife doing?
New here. But I must say all my goggling had my a nervous wreck - reading here I feel a little better. Had a 3mm nodule found about 3-4 years ago, routine 3 month, 6 month and finally 1 year CT scans with no change. In October I had my yearly scan done and at doctor's appointment he said 3 new nodules 3-4 mm each. I again am freaking out. Why no change to one in all this time and then suddenly 3 new ones. Don't have my follow up scan until April and I've been so anxious and have myself believing I've got all these symptoms. Worst part I am a smoker trying to quit but the more anxious I get the more I smoke.  
don't freak out...if you scan your lungs time to time you will notice things popping out and then disappearing based on the things you have had (flu, cough, chest ifections etc etc...even exposure to chemicals you havent noticed.... You should be more concerned if it was a single nodule popping out ...not 3....Multiple ones are usually something related to a systemic thing. Lung cancer usually shows up as a single mass...certainly not as 3 different tiny nodules.... `Your new nodules are way too tiny for anything to be said...
Also think about it this way: if you didnt know you had that first nodule and you would have taken your first scan today they woyuld have told you that you had 4 nodules...you wouldnt differentiate in between new ones and old ones...Many of us on here have moltiple ones and that doenst mean they all appeared together...some is newer that others for sure for everyone with multiple nodules.
glad to hear happy endings!

hope everyone on here is doing well....

Thanks for the information.  I try not to stress over the news of new nodules but it's hard, specially when you start goggling - but hearing from others certainly helps calm some of the fear.
Hi not sure what to think I am a chronic pancreatitis patient have had numerous ct scans  this past oct14  I had a ct that showed a 12mm irregular density nodule   The report said to have a follow up ct in 3-6 months well it's been 6 months and I havent had a follow up done yet.  My family thinks I'm just fine and no need to worry   I went to the doctor today for shoulder pain and the doc never saw the past ct but he read the report from the ct  done in October   By a differnt doc.  The doc said this could likely be malignant.   Is this to soon to be worried or should I wait for the follow up ct before jumping to the malignant possibility
I have three nodules in the right middle and lower lobe. Had three scan over last year. Two are stable but the third is new. Largest nodule is 10mm with ground glass opacity. I'm nervous.
I just found out durning a ct of my kidney that I have 2 nodules in my lung and i am freaking out and crying
Hi there,  i hope you have calmed down  some. My husband had an abdominal CT scan that caught 2 small lung micronodules. We had to follow them for 18 months. They remained stable. What size ate yours? Ate they following them?,
my father found out he had a tumor on kidney in Feb. Doc saw a few places on lymph nodes and lower lung. Lymph nodes checked out fine. Yesterday he got results from CT scan done last friday. The spots on lungs have gotten much smaller, but they found another spot. He had no type of treatment other than removal of kidney. I am just sick to my stomach and I know he is scared out of his mind, just not showing it. They have referred him to lung Dr. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone???
Hi. I had a chest x-ray in 2007 whch showed a few small pulmonary nodules. I then followed up with CT scans every 6 months for 2 years and thankfully they were considered stable.
So I just had another chest x-ray done last week for a completely unrelated event and they spotted a 3mm nodule in my right lung... having CT scan today to start the follow-up process yet again.
From all that I've read, it appears that these nodules can come and go so I want to assume that this may be a new one, and the dr. only mentioned one whereas last time there were a few within both lungs.
This is such a common finding and the vast majority of them are benign... always want to remain positive!
I had a CT scan done almost a week ago and have to go for another one in 3 months time.  I am very worried!  I have smoked for about 40 years.  (started young).  I have dull constant chest pain, pain in the back, very short of breath, almost constant cough.  Only answer I got from my CT scan was...."nonspecific changes" and return for scan in 3 months!  Very very scared at this point.
Hello I am 44 yr old female (non smoker) and had random ct scan for stomache issue (which is fine), and found a 3x5 nodule on my lower right lung along major fissure.  Asked friend who is Pulmo and going to see one next wk.  These are common etc. and look again in 12 months earliest 3-6. I am of the mind that I want it removed yesterday.  Gone.  Or at least biopsied.  Can anyone give me 2 cents on this who has been there?  THank you.
Hi group - I also looking for advice and a listing ear - I'm 46 and have asthma . In 2002 I became very ill . This went on for we over a month with fevers - chills , weight loss . I kept being placed on different meds as I was told I had Pneumonia . Finally as I became more ill they put me in the hospital and gave me Iv meds they were not helping . After a bronchoscope they biopsy came back with a lipid pneumonia - who knows how I got it or why . I was good for a while and over the year have had several bouts of pneumonia . I finally went to a better pulmonary dr who did all kinds if scans And told me I could have MAC and I had mild Brocheestisis sp. and lung nodules - he was very you showing that these nodules were nothing to really worry about that every year we would do scans they were part of my lungs due to the asthma , the bronch issues  etc ... I switched dr because he was far and I was doing ok . My last scan was over 2 years ago but recently I was sick 2 times in
May and my chest and asthma were really in a uproar . I dud get better after 2 rounds if meds - about 2 or 3 weeks ago my asthma was really so bad was using my nebulizer 3 to 4 times a day with no relief- I made an appointment to see the pulmonologist and he immediately did an x-ray. He told me there was a nodule seen in my lung that had not ever been in the lung before and sent me for car scan . Reported back that the nodules is 6 mm I think I got so nervous I'm sure he did not say centimeters ( correct) and protocol says anything over six not 5 mm you need to follow up with the pet scan in six months.  Needless  to say I immediately went on Google and found myself already dead of lung cancer. Not funny because I'm panicking ! Can anyone just lend a ear give me advice - similar situation - after reading some message boards people are like get it out no matter how small it is others are like they should go in and do a biopsy right now! Why Waite . I'm so confused :( no this was a really long post but again just looking for someone to talk to and share, I feel so alone . I have two kids 11/16 and trying to be ok for them  
I went in for a cough that has been going on for almost a month. Before moving to Texas I would get a cold every year and it would turn into a sinus infection and the cough would linger for a month. So, the doctor says I have upper respiratory infection.  Prescribed Doxycycline. Then he calls back the next day to say he say a 4mm spot middle lobe and wants me to have a CT scan with contrast to see if it is from the infection. Does anyone know if this contrast is injected or if I have to drink something. And, is all the coughing coming from the infection or the spot he saw.
I am also facing the same as you.but the only difference between you and me  is you are/were smoking but i never but i have more cough and asthma   .

Can please tell me how is your heath now and what doctor told you finally .
I am 31 .I am having a cough from long times.Lastday i did CT scan and got 3mm calcified nodule in right lower lube.And also i am having back pain,neck pain,solder pain and some times also bone pain.so i am very scared for thing .
Can you please any one help me on the same ?
Viewing 601-636 comments: