Respiratory Disorders Community
Lung Nodules?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 601-612 comments:
Thanks Hudsongrl,

For how long lung nodules have to be followed up depends of their sizes.
A 2 year follow up is required for nodules of 5mm (or bigger).
For what i have read the one applying the protocol is actually the oncologist that suggests just another scan. On the other hand your GP is applying a "generic" protocol as in most cases lung nodules are followed up for a couple of years. A nodule of 5mm has an extremely little chance to be cancerous (1 to 2 %?)...let alone a 3mm one...you make the calculations :)  Hope this helped!

Keep smiling,

Anto

Hi Patrick,

Please update us on your situation...I know how it is to wait for the results and how hard it gets when that moment gets closer....I really empathize with you!
Hope you got good news!

positive vibes to you!
Thanks Antoit. I guess we will decide these things after next scan in August. One scan at a time...ugh.
I am new to this board and want to say thank you for all of your many stories and follow-up posts - your encouragement and thoughtfulness for one another - SO calming!!  You have all helped me IMMENSELY! THANK YOU!!!!  You all are WONDERFUL  - the way you all check in with each other on this board!

Just had a chest x-ray show a 12mm dense nodule in the middle lung field and I am going for a CT scan tomorrow night.  

In 1997 I came down with walking pneumonia (right lung collapsed), while at school in Israel, and was left with 2  - 3 mm scar tissue in my right lung and an on-going problem with mucous being trapped in my Aveoli and popping up in my throat frequently.  A doctor at Mayo checked me out - did a Lavash (lung rinse) and came up with nothing. He informed me that I did have a problem, but that even Mayo Clinic does not have all the answers...I used to run cross country in college and would run 3 miles here and there, but I started becoming a running maniac because it kept my lungs clear!  I ran 3 marathons, numerous 1/2 marathons, running approx. 50 miles a week until 2002 when I was pregnant with my first child.  I now exercise frequently, but backed off of running after 2 surgeries on my big toes (because I wore out the cartilage).  Still have mucous coming up all the time though since 1997.

SO, in 2006 there were no nodules and this one has showed up and from your posts on this site - I am wondering if it is from an on-going (17 year) unidentified lung infection.  Has anyone been diagnosed as an infection being the cause of their nodules??  Can non-cancerous nodules go away on their own?  

This site has been a great encouragement and I am now hoping that it is from an infection and maybe they can give me something to cure the infection and solve BOTH problems!!

Hi and welcome, wish you didn't have to be here because of nodules.  In 2006 you say there were no nodules.  Did you get a chest X-Ray in 2006 or a CT Scan?  My nodules did not show up in a chest X-Ray prior to having the CT Scan because they were too small to show up on the X-Ray, so that could be why the nodule did not show up in 2006.  And yes, nodules can be caused by infection.  Unfortunately they cannot usually distinguish what the nodule is so that is why they check you for approx 2 years after the nodule is discovered.  You'll have a better idea about the nodule when they perform the CT Scan.  Non-cancerous nodules are really not a concern even if they do not go away.  Please let us know how your CT Scan goes.  Best wishes, Julie
Thank you for your response!  They did not show up on a 2006 x-ray.   I had assumed that I did not have any nodules back then, since it did not appear on the x-ray. Thank you for your insight.

Does anyone know, once you get one are you prone to get more?  I am getting ahead of myself...first, find out what the CT Scan shows...

I will keep you posted!

Cyndi

As I am reading the posts, it seems 12 mm (a little over a centimeter) is a rather large nodule...is this true?

Cyndi
I have multiple nodules.  They can be nothing more than scar tissue.  My lagest nodule was originally 7 mm in 2009 and had stayed stable for a year.  On my 2 year CT Scan my nodule grew to 11 mm, which was large enough to biopsy.  I did have a needle biopsy in 2011 whch was negative for malignancy.  I also had a PET scan before the biopsy in 2011 which had showed some activity - (0.8 SUV) that is why I had the needle biopsy. Your probably OK, but once they find a nodule they usually follow up for 2 years.  Let us know what your CT Scan report shows when you get a copy of it.  Hugs, Julie
Sorry about the late update. So, the 6 month scan said no change! It also said there was a 1-2 mm nodule in my lower lobe which, on retrospect, was there 6 months ago and is also stable.

Whew!!

I know I'm not out of the woods just yet but now I am going to do some hard work at reversing any possible dysplasia in my lungs.

I must say, it is amazing how sick a person can make themselves feel upon hearing they have a lung nodule. I was convinced mine had spread into my lymph nodes, into my upper lobe, my liver, my chest wall, my ribs, and on and on....I had pain in all areas of my right side. Funny how it really doesn't hurt at all now!

Love you all. Peace and good tidings from NJ, USA.

Patrick
Thank you for your return post.  Did the needle biopsy hurt?  I reread my 2006 report and it actually was a CT scan.  It said my right lung had two 3 mm nodules that they believed were scar tissue from the pneumonia in 1997, but my left lung was clear!

Just had the CT Scan - nice guy and it was quick - he said most nodules are benign, but he did say that 12 mm was on the large side from what he has seen...I told him that maybe the x-ray overshot the size and maybe it was smaller (any chance of that?)

I was fine until a few moments ago - googled (shouldn't have) and read an article on nodules which said larger nodules have a greater chance of being cancerous...It had two columns  - chances are "cancerous" in one column and "non-cancerous" in the other...in the cancer column was 1) Over 30 (yes) 2) large nodule, over 6 mm (twice the size) etc etc.

Came to this site to calm down.  They should have the CT results in two days.

Good night!

Cyndi

Cindi - your working yourself up!  I did the same thing though for 2 years, I was sure I had cancer!  When I had the needle biopsy done, I had made plans for what type of treatment I was going to have, etc... When I called the radiation oncologist the next day and he told me it was benign I almost fell off my chair, I couldn't believe it.  As for the biopsy - they gave me conscious sedation, and I did not feel a thing.  I felt like I was fully awake but had no pain.  They biopsied the 11 mm nodule in 2 places, felt nothing - but my lung collapsed and they had to insert something for a few days - but it did not hurt at all.  

Also, I did too much reading on the internet - and I became anxious, thought the worse, it was horrible what I put myself through.  I hope that the doctor will be able to reassure you about your CT Scan.  Do you have an appointment to see the doctor?  

Patrick - Your CT Scan sounds good!  Glad to hear that are no changes.  But I know exactly how you've been feeling, been there done that!  You have a CT Scan scheduled at 1 year?  Thanks for sharing the great news.

Best wishes to everyone.  Julie......

Great news Patrick. Thanks for letting us know!
Once again, thank you for your encouragement.  Your story has really helped me!  I will google no more!  This is a great site for encouraging information and support - no need to go elsewhere right now!

I am back to positive thinking and relying on my faith and trust in my LORD to take care of this, and me!

I do not have an appointment scheduled with the doctor who ordered the x-ray - she said she would call me with the results.  I do have an appointment in August with my lung specialist in Chicago which I set up before all this came about (hadn't checked my lungs since 2006 and have a lot of mucous going on so I thought I would go in to see him).  He is hard to get an appointment with so I will bring all this to him when I go to see him and see what his opinion is...

Right now the next move is a win-win.  Either they don't see anything remarkable and they tell me to come back in 6 months for another scan or they choose to do a biopsy and then we see what is really going on and take care of it if it is anything!!

The CT tech said that most of his CTs are now for lung nodules!  He said that they are SO common now and they really rarely grow.  I found this interesting...

Peace to everyone on this site!  Enjoy THIS day!

Cyndi

Excellent Patrick!!!
Thanks for coming back to us with updates...

You know in march, as my scan date was getting closer, I started feeling a weird shoulder pain? I knew that if the scan was stable it would have disappeared the same day... And guess what as I came back from the doctor it magically went away!

If I'm not wrong this was your first follow up! The first one is the most scary one probably... It gets better with time... Furter follows up, if needed, are way less scary...still scary ( feeling scared is part of us human beings) but I'm sure you'll go through it with a complete different approach and attitude!

Enjoy the good news,

Hi Cyndi,

There are many causes for lung nodules...
2006 seems yesterday but still it's nearly 8 years ago. The scan you had at that time surely shows you didn't have that 12mm nodule but I wouldn't take it in consideration. Everyone on this board if was scanned 8 years ago probably would have had scans with no nodules...
Mine were found by accident... Probably there's been a day where my 7mm nodule, if scanned, was a 2mm nodule... Actually I'm sure it's like that.. Nodules do not appear straight away in the size we discover them.

A 12mm nodule is still a nodule and certainly not a mass (which are at least 3cm)... Masses are usually more concerning. The size of your nodule still sounds to me in the 'safe' range. Granulomas (a benign condition) can generate lung masses even of 4cm...and still be benign.

Did you get to know a visual description of this nodule? Or the report states just "12mm nodule" and that's it?

Don't google!!!

Anto

Where is everybody? I checked in looking for some good news. Hope everyone is well!
hey Hudsongirl...
no news is good news right? :)

hope everyone is well too...

A.
My husband had an operation 7 weeks ago to remove a kidney and a tumour. Today we went for the follow up appointment and we're told that the op went well, but the tumour was a "stage one" cancer. The consultant then told us that a CT scan would be arranged in 3 months time to check on the "nodules" in his chest which were apparently found in 2011 when he had a CT scan. (They thought he had bowel cancer at the time). We were shocked to be told this news as we had hoped to be given the "all clear" today. We don't understand why nothing has been said or done about theses "nodules" before now! During the op the surgeon noticed abnormality of the liver and suggested my husband had cirrhosis. He had an ultrasound scan and this week his GP said there was no need to worry and no further action was needed. We were so relieved about that. But now we are feeling so down again and worried. Normally we are both fit and active 70 year olds. We cycle and walk and like to get out and about in our motorhome.
Hello, the only information I can give you is that even people with diagnosed lung cancer have lung nodules not related to the disease.
If the nodules were present already in 2011 and found stable after 3years I would not be concerned much about them. The usual wait and watch time is 2 years... If 3 years have passed it seems highly unlikely that these nodules are related to any form of cancer as there's no literature about cancerous nodules being stable for more than 2 years...
I am no doctor, just a medial science junkie ;) you can ask your oncologist and see if he confirms what I am telling you.

Anto
Thank you for your comments. The main reason I am worried is that until yesterday we were not aware that these nodules existed. There has been no scans or checks of any kind during the past 3 years. The CT scan t.hat showed the nodules was for the kidneys. Once a problem was detected with the kidney, it seems to me that the chest nodules were put on hold.
As a fellow 70s couple "we" can report that lung nodules that are cancerous are very active, changes can be seen between CT scans only a few months apart. I believe lung nodules are rather common, even in the younger folks, but most are not malignant.... do not require any treatment.  Seems you doctors low key approach suggest that is your case.  As them for specific advice, I would.  

Actively growing lung nodules may be tested using a needle biopsy - an same day (out-patient) test in our experience.
Hi there my husband has 2 micronodules 2 mm and 3 mm stable so far, that we have been watching for 15 months.  Next scan in 6 weeks. If your husband had lung nodules for 3 years and they end up being stable on this next scan i would not worry. As others have said cancerous nodules change in that amount of time. Lots of people have benign nodules. Glad the liver ultrasound went well. I was once told my liver looked " odd" during removal of sn ovary and went thru a zillion tests to rule out liver issues. That was 8 years ago...nothing was found and I am still here. But, it scared me to death. I am not much of a drinker and never have bern , so i couldn't figure out why my liver looked odd. I have since learned livers ....even normal  ones can look odd. Who knew?
Hubby going for  repeat CT scan of a 2mm  and 3 mm nodules.  I am freaking out tonite as usual. It has been 18 months since these were first found. Praying for stability. Like last time. Anyone out there to talk me down?
Don't worry Hudsongrl!!! as i recall they were already stable after nearly a year...plus they are very very tiny!!! All the odds are in your favour!
Let us know how it goes!!!

A.
I agree with antoit, and reply just to add positive emphasis.

Anything smaller than 2mm is likely not even noted.
Report said the 2 mm one is now a calcified granuloma and stable. The 3 mm one hasn't changed and is marked stable as well.  They said  no more follow ups needed...finally. I swear we aged10 years these last 18 months. Thanks everyone for your support!
YAY!! this calls for celebration!!!! Enjoy the news! :)
How is everyone else doing? It's been so quiet here?
Awesome news. I had a 5mm or so sized one found in March.  I was told to wait a year and after six months, I'm freaking out feeling like I should have one sooner.  I'm so glad everything with your husband turned out.  I hope I get the same news!  
Im going next month to check on a 5mm, 3mm & 4mm they found in April. I was supposed to wait a year. But I can't take it. I have to go next month.
Good luck.  Yours are very small.  Keep us posted on the results.  What are the characteristic of yours (size, type, etc.)?
Keep in mind "large" for lung nodules is generally considered over 1 cm, that is 10 mm.  Even a 1 cm can be benign if inactive/stable.  That's why there is a wait... give the nodule time to show growth if it is growing.  Besides, the number of CT scans one can take before it does damage is limited, just like X-ray.  It might be comforting to get one a month and be told nothing wrong, too bay the X-rays are killing you.
New to the group. I want in for a chest X-ray last week to check for plaque build up in arteries.  Got a call  few days later that they found a 12mm nodule on my lower left lung.  37 years old, never smoked.  This site has been extremely helpful at easing my mind. Doctor does not seem very worried but sending me for a ct scan tomorrow. Seems the size is larger than most on here have reported which is worrisome.  What should I be looking for tomorrow?
Guess, it is "tomorrow"... but doubt you'll have any readout on the CT for a few days.

I believe the CT will be a base-line, not an answer.  The answer is what happens over then next month or months when you get a follow up CT scan.  Activity is worrisome, stability is in general good news.

Best wishes
Thanks, they did actually get back with me the same day of the ct scan. Very fast. Only problem is I talked to the nurse and she was no help at all explaining all of this.  They have referred me to a pulmonologist next week. That doesn't sound good.  Here is what was on report:
No definite auxiliary, hilar, or mediastinal adenopathy is identified.  A irregular lobulated nodule is seen in left lower lung. App 1.5cm by 1.2cm. Adjacent additional satellite pulmonary nodules are demonstrated well with a "tree in bud" appearance.   Impression: findings are most just above an inflammatory process. While neoplasm is not completely excluded, this is thought to be less likely
It would going well beyond my knowledge to comment specifically on the meaning of your results.  I have heard the term "salt and pepper" to describe numerous small nodules.   Small is generally good, even if numerous.  

It is my guess that the over 1 cm size is the main concern and that by itself proves nothing, I believe.  Follow up is clearly indicated to see if there is growth in size - I'd think another look via CT would not be sooner than a couple of weeks as CT presents form radiation risk, which is lowered by limiting the number of scans.  My wife gets a scan at least a couple times a year.
Inflammatory process could mean something like histoplasmosis. Do you live in the midwest by chance? My husbands radiologist said that is what he likely has. The impressions on your report state neoplasm less likely. That is good news. Keep us posted as to what the doctor himself tells you. It's unfortunate he did not call you back himself so you could ask questions.
Thank you for the response.  I live in Nashville and the radiologist suggested the same thing. He said he sees this a lot with patients that live near caves?  I am scheduled to see a new doctor tomorrow at Vanderbilt. My guess is either a biospy or wait 3 months and a follow up ct scan.  
I never received a description just the size. Waiting is awful.
Thinking of you. Hope you got a good report from doc last week. Histoplasmosis is a fungus, so yes caves makes sense.
CT scheduled for Dec 17th Will me about  9 months since the first one. I couldn't wait till a year. Im so nervous. Not sure how i feel about doing it a week before christmas but whatever
I'm sure you'll do fine, every nodule is stable/benign.  Best you think that way too, as that is what matters.

Enjoy Thanksgiving and preparation for Christmas when you will celebrate the good news from you December 17, CT scan.

I say this because I believe the "odds" are all on your side, many, many people have nodules that are not cancerous.
Hi im new this the group . Im 21 and I found out about a month ago I have two nodules in my right lung 3-4mm and 7-8mm .I have bad anxiety And I also have like swollen glands I dont know if its from my nodules or not . But im very scared and I also have a son . Comments would help
Hi Howard,

While this thread appear to be a "blog" ... perhaps is in its own way.  I'd usually prefer someone start a new thread, rather than tie into a thread that is several years old.

That said/noted the only specifics I can make:
1) 3-4 mm is very small, rather common and usually not a problem.
2) 8 mm is approaching the "large size".. a centimeter being considered large in my understanding.
3) regardless of size, stability is the non-invasive way to determine not cancerous.  The key hope/objective.

I assume you'll have follow up with you doctor, if not I suggest you discuss a follow up after some time, perhaps a month to year, as the doctor think best.
Hello there, at age 21 it would be unlikely your nodules are cancerous...and the size makes them not very suspicious as well. Are you scheduled for a repeat CT scsn in a few months? If the nodules stay the same size odds are good, all is well.
Hello,  first post here.  Just need to vent a little bear with me pls.

I just retired last December 13, since then I have had a kidney stone with the usual renal colic, etc. In the process of diagnosing with CT and US they tell me I have liver disease and then tests for cirrhosis.   In the process of that, more US and MRI  they said I have kidney cysts, one of them complex which could be cancer.  So now more CT's for that and then finally on this last CT (november) I'm told I have a lung nodule.   This has been a hellish year for retirement.   On the bright side, now they don't believe I have cirrhosis and the complex kidney cysts don't appear cancerous on CT with contrast, so scans yearly on that.

On the lung nodule, the CT scan only went to lung bases so it just happened to show up on the very last slice/image at 4mm. Noted as middle lobe though.  No mention of borders, calcification/solid or not. I went and saw a pulmonologist and she said I need a full chest CT for baseline because there could be more nodules and this nodule showing up on the last slice might just be the 'tail' of a larger one.  This is all just crazy after all these other problems. I have NEVER smoked. She says I am low risk even tho I'm 59 and it is probably benign but have to check.

I'm just as anxious about all these scans. I've had a documented 110mSv of radiation fronm CT due to many many abdominal/pelvic CTs for kidney stones. Now I'm worried that this could cause a cancer.  I read 4mm is small but from everyone's experience, if it were cancer what is the average doubling time? Reason I ask is I want to put off this CT for awhile because I've already had more than the recommended amount of radiation this past year.

thanks
STABLE! AMEN! and ALLELUIA! He even said he doesnt think its necessary to do another one in a year! I didn't ask the sizes. Id rather just know they are stable and that be the end of it :)
At the moment what you have is a 4mm nodule in your lung which is, given the size, very low risk of being something dangerous and quite a common finding... It's not clear to me why your pulmonologist talked about multiple nodules before having a full chest CT scan....

Regarding the number of scans our body can take you are right...they are definitely NOT healthy. Few doctors are aware of that. The thing is that even if there is a risk due to radiation exposure it's still way lower than the risk of having you not having the scan and not knowing if something that needs treatment is there.

About the doubling time: this is uncertain. In case a nodule turns out to be a cancer the doubling time would depend of the kind of cells (kind of cancer)...There are many kind of lung cancer cells...some multiply very fast, some others extremely slow. Keep in mind that even benign nodules can grow...therefore the growing factor alone doesn't give a diagnosis...only a biopsy does.

Keep us updated if you like...

Congratulations and awesome news.  Perfect for the upcoming holidays!  I'll have my follow up on December 29.  My nodule is part-solid, which has me must more worried than solid.  Obviously, the hope is it is gone, smaller, or even stable.
Wishing all of you a wonderful holiday season and a healthy - happy New Year.  Have been busy and haven't been on line for awhile, nice to come on and see how everyone is doing.  Take Care, Julie
Viewing 601-612 comments: