Respiratory Disorders Community
Lung Nodules?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 401-590 comments:
Antoit, Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts as you wait for results!
Thank you so much Sharon... It's 1am over here and I will get my results in few hours when the clinic opens... I'm not sure I will get any sleep.
Will write results as soon as I can tomorrow
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to update you about my scan report... NO CHANGES!!! As some of you knows this was my 7 months one. Pulmonologist said next one in 8 months!!!
Needless to say I am quite relieved. Thanks to anyone who sent positive thoughts and prayers. Anto
Glad to hear all is well with you!  Great news.  
That is wonderful!  Thank you for sharing the good news!
Great, tell the lungs to keep up the good work.

I forget what size you are dealing with, but under 10 mm is good I think, yes, and stable, no growth, inactive, dormant !!!

What do you expect, have to get a periodic CT scan for the rest of your life?  Just wondering.

My wife's next CT scan is coming up in a couple of weeks.  Her last one showed great reduction in the nodules she has/had.  We're praying for more gone and stable or reduction in size. She's on a form of chemo and that in itself is no fun.

It is always good to see a good news report, keep them coming.
Hey Jerry, my nodules are 3 ( two of them measure 5mm and the other one is 7 mm). Apparently i am due for another scan in 7/8 months and if still stable just another one after 1 year.

I do remember the great improvement your wife had few months ago... She is in my prayers!!! Please keep us posted about the scan date and results so that my positive thoughts (from over the ocean) will arrive in time!!!!

Hi to all.

I hope someone can reassure me,here is my story. It is quite long I am afraid!  About 2 months ago I was working out in the gym pretty intensively 5 days a week when I started to feel tired all the time and had slight chest discomfort. My wife had some penicillin left over from a kidney infection and I stupidly decided to take a tablet in the hope of a relief.
The thing is I had forgotten that I am severely allergic to penicillin  as it was 10 yrs ago since I was last sick.
Anyhow I had a pretty bad reaction with tightness in my chest and breaking out in huge soft kind of boils all over my face and body, and this was only after one tablet and in a half and hour!

Anyway I took anti histimane and I was fine except for the chest tightness which persisted until the next morning.
I decided to go to the medical assessment unit and they ran tests, everything was clear except for an increase in an enzyme called Troponin.
This usually indicates a heart attack!  However the levels were really low and I felt fine by now, nonetheless I was kept in for almost a week for observation.

So then I was sent for a coronary CT to see if any damage was done to my heart. The results came back clear and the report showed no heart disease or build up of plaque or calcium in my arteries. At this point a heart attack was all but ruled out and although nothing was confirmed the docs said I possibly had an infection which triggred a slight release of the troponin and that it was totally resolved now. He declined to make a link between my penicillin reaction but said "anything can happen with allergic reactions"

However on the CT it did show " multiple bi-lateral nodules"  9 in total in the lower lobes of my lungs, the biggest is 6mm.
It was recommended I have a follow up in 3 months time.

I did some research and I believe it is better if they are calcified so I asked my GP if they were indeed calcified but she said that as it is not mentioned on the report that we can infer that they are non-calcified.

Obviously this has me worried. I know there are several benign causes and can only hope this is the case. I am hoping that my penicillin reaction has caused this to happen in my lungs because I really cannot say I had any other illness such as TB or Pneumonia recently.  

My scan is scheduled for 28 nov and  I will update but I am hoping someone on here can shed some light for me.  Thank you for reading!
It seems to be standard procedure when nodules are detected... check after some period of time, usually more than a month, and see it the nodules are active or dormant/benign I assume.

6 mm is on the big side, but that is based only on my experience, or my wife's.

One thing is clear, worry will not make them go away or better, but it may make them and other health issues worse.

You provided a lot of heart test information, you may get more input on that aspect by posting on one of the Heart Communities.
Thank you for your reply Jerry.  They were found incidentally which gives me some hope. They are of various sizes with the biggest being 6mm,my doc told me she would bet her house they are benign but when I asked her about the fact that they are non calcified she just looked blankly at me,like she didn't know what the significance of that meant.  In other research I have done apparently sometimes the nodules are classified as "indeterminable" ie they cannot say if they are calcified or non calcified until they grow a bit. It is still a big worry though.

I am only 47 and very fit don't drink and gave up smoking 15 yrs ago, I eat healthy whole foods 80% of the time too so if these nodules are of a cancerous origin it will be a real blind sider ! But hey isnt it for everyone?

On top of all this my wife is also going for testing for cancer because of blood in her urine which hasn;t cleared up, ye just never know what is in store for you eh?

Finally Jerry I hope your wife is doing well I have read through this thread and I can see she has been through the mill with her  own cancer ,my best wishes to you both and its really nice to have a little community here where we can talk about these things. All the best.
Hello, I hope i can join your circle, just yesterday my doctor called to say i have a nodules in one lung, I request a xray, also my left shoulder has been killing me, and it hurts when i take a deep breath??? tonight at work i noticed i started to wheezing, with a little cough,,why my shoulder? I'm so scared :(
Sorry to read you are frightened.. we all have times of fear, but the best we can do is be positive and work with a doctor to get answers, and better a cure.

I don't know of any others having relating a lung nodule with shoulder pain, but it I do not know it isn't related.

I belive it takes a CT scan to detect lung nodules.  

I had a chest X-Ray exam a few months back because of what turned out to be a mild case of obstructive sleep apnea.  The X-Rays were taken to look for  signs of COPD/emphysema.- none were found, thank god I quit smoking 25 years ago.  No mention of nodules, but I think X-Ray will not show nodules.
Hi Crossfitguy,
please don't panic. Lung cancer doesn't show up as multiple nodules. Usually it is a single mass which if big enough has some nodules around as sign of advanced disease. You don't have any mass right? Even the biggest of your nodule cannot be considered a mass. 6mm is extremely small...even smaller than mine that was stable after 7 months :) please see above all my posts.
I know it might sound absurd but it's better to have several ones than just a big one....Several bilateral nodules are in the vast majority of the cases just nothing...probably scars from past infections.
You mention TB and that you dont remember any symptoms that might be associated with TB. Well you might have had TB without being aware....weird but true... You can make a very easy test on your arm wich shows if you have or have had it.
You are now due to wait for a few months before getting rescanned...I suggest to use this time to investigate in other directions. It might help making a list of symptoms you have had during your life which have never been investigated (night sweats? long lasting cough?) everything helps to get a clue of what might have caused them...That's what my pulmonologist asked me to do on the first visit.
I have many time suggested to watch the podcast on lung nodules on the cancergrace website...( you will find the link in some of the messages above)...I have spent time and time on the web getting scared...please dont google too much...Just watch that podcast and i am sure you will feel relieved at the end...

keep us posted

A :)
Please let me know if i can help in any way...
Hey Lacyca,
do you know how many nodules you have and what size they are?
As i just suggested to Crossfitguy please don't panic...
I too, after my first scan that showed up my nodules, started experiencing all the lung cancer symptoms...They then disappeared after a while...
Maybe i was just way too scared and was so convinced i had LC that i started feeling pains that probably werent there...
Try to calm down...i know it is hard...but try...keep yourself busy...that's the key!!!
Let us know

A. :)
I am new here and I am looking to gather information or just simply what you think is going on... my husband went to the ER on the 12th and had a CT of his kidneys and they caught the very bottom portion of his lungs and they found 9.5 mm soft tissue nodule in the posterior aspect of the right lower lobe and a 5.6 mm soft tissue nodule in the posterior aspect of the left lower lobe.   11 days later he went in and got the High Resolution full chest CT and it came back with several subcentimeter bilateral pulmonary nodules to include a 6.9 mm medial nodule within the right upper lobe, a 9.7 mm nodule medially within the right lung base, a 7.0 mm anterior nodule within the right middle lobe, and a 9.2 mm nodule within the left lower lobe.  No consolidations or pleural effusions are identified.  Problem is if you look at the two CT scans the ones mentioned on the lower lungs on the first CT do not have the same size as the ones mentioned when he got the 2nd CT done... are they in addition to the ones on the 1st or did they grow in 11 days or mis-measured?  secondly... my husband had another CT in 2011 of his kidneys that showed that the lungs were clear and nothing what so ever being mentioned of any nodules.  Can anyone enlighten me in this matter?  What is the likely hood of this being cancer?  nothing showed up in 2011 but many showed up this month.....  We are worried sick.  Has anyone experienced this kind of rollercoaster ride?  
Hello Dcpsap,
i understand what you and your husband are going through....All that uncertainty....But please do not freak out.
As you can imagine i am not a doctor and what i know comes from my personal experience and lots of research made online during this year.
What i would do if i were you is trying to get a copy of the 2011 CT scan and compare it once again just to make sure that they were not there. Sometimes it happens that things do not get reported by the radiologist...It is not common, but still can happen.
But keep in mind that if in the 2011 they just scanned that portion of the abdomen (where kidney are) it is improbable that they could have had a look at the lungs which are higher.
Is the report from the second scan saying that the 2 nodules found on the first scan your husband had this year bigger in size or the full chest CT scan just found other ones in addition to the first two? was the size of the first two found confirmed by the second scan? This is not clear to me.
Does your husband have or had any symptoms lately? any significant weight loss?
What are the next step your doctor suggested? Nodules bigger than 8mm show up on a different kind of scan named PET. This scan basically shows if those nodules are 'active' but again it doenst tell you what they are.
Probably they can proceed even with a biopsy (where they take a sample of the nodule to get it analysed under the microscope). A biospy is the only test able to rule out cancer.
Nowadays whatever they find on scans generate cancer scare but we need to stay positive and remember that there are many other diseases out there and most of them are treatable.
Has your husband had any test for TB or other bacterias/viruses?
As i am sure you have read in the previous posts these nodules might also be scars from past infections....I will send positive thouths this is the case of your husband too...
Maybe someone else on here can give you more info...

Please keep us updated...

A.

I recently went to the ER with chest pain and a CT scan showed a 7mm nodule. I had a CT a few years ago and there was no nodule so this is new. I have been having a lot of pain in my upper left chest (nodule is in upper left lobe) My doctor thinks I have Pleuricy. I'm wondering if the pain is from the nodule, its suspiscious to me that the pain is in the same place as the nodule. Has anyone else had pain with nodules?
Can relate directly to your question, but I ask what follow-up are you doing?  I would think a needle biopsy would be in order... 7mm is pretty big, bu *** may be best to wait a few months and have another CT.  If no growth the a biopsy may not be necessary.  

My experience with a needle biopsy is it is relatively quick and pain free - my experience being my wife's needle biopsy, gave me no pain at all.
I think a 7 mm nodule would be too small to cause symptoms of pain and I believe it is too small for a biopsy - is the doctor recommending a repeat CT?  I had multiple nodules, largest 5 mm, and was told to retest in six months.  

As you know, the nodules may appear after past infection/inflammation.  I've heard pleurisy can be very painful - good luck and let us know what your doctor recommends.  
Hi Cutencurly,
i do not think your pain is from the nodule for 2 reasons:
1- the nodule is very small
2- lung cannot cause pains as there are no nerves able to send a pain signal to the brain in lungs.

Advanced lung cancer can cause pains though...But thats when the mass is big enough to push to other surrounding organs or muscles which are able to send those pain signals to the brain.

You don't have any mass...a 7mm nodule is not a mass :)

Last march a had a similar pain in my shoulder...it went away by itself in a couple of months... Dont panic and keep us updated...

A.

I am happy to be corrected on calling 7mm big.  That was because I recalled my wife having 10 mm nodule that was biopsied.  Looking back I see it was in fact 20 mm, much larger than your 7mm. It is also the case that my wife had active growth in the size over a period of a month or two (forget the time between CT scans)... happily the size has been greatly reduced through treatment.  
Hey Jerry,
yes, it seems that 7mm when it comes to lung nodules is not that big...
7mm is just slightly larger than a pencil eraser.
I am sure that all the people who posted on this thread would have preferred to have none...not even a 1mm one..but...what can we do? we have them and we have got to check them time to time.

I remember your wife had a huge shrinkage after therapies!!! I hope she gets better and better with time!!!

A.
hi..,new to all this.the doc's found a mass under my mams collar bone.had all the scans.thank god it was nothing,but after reading about it,it;s more worrying as they have found lung nodules in her lungs.had a follow up and no change in size. which is wonderful...the problem being my mam is so breathless  doing any activity.she has an asthma pump of her own but for the past year has said it does no good.she had a puff of her friends asthma pump and found it wonderful yet the doc wont give her one.why??because he doesn't want to give her steroids..btw my mam is 81.dont get me wrong she's like a spring chicken.she's fitter than me...don't know if its her age they wont give her a steroid pump because she doesn't suffer from repeat infections she cant have one..why wont they give her one with steroids? especially if it helps her.
Sorry I don't have any answers for you question.  Many others read this thread, maybe on of them will have an idea.

In my limited experience steroids can do great things to reduce symptoms, but do nothing to effect a cure. That said I'd guess the older one was the more likely it would be that a doctor would resort to them..seems I got that all wrong.

My posts on this thread is driven by my wife's lung nodule issues.  In her case cancer was found after it was determined the nodules were actively growing.  She has been on chemo for several months now and her Oncologist says it is time to take another CT scan... that will take place in the coming weeks.

Breathing problems can be caused by many other health problems besides asthma - did the doctor say anything about other possible problems?  Not trying to bring up new things to worry about, but here again going from personal experience I have developed some problems with obstructive sleep apnea - this as the name implies is most troublesome when relaxed especially asleep

Hope you find an answer, and one that will help in the coming going forward.
My wife goes back for the second (from start of chemo) CT check on Friday.  We are praying for the further reduction of nodules.  For those who haven't followed this particular story on this thread, please do not take the existence of lung nodules to mean cancer.  My wife is a cancer survivor who had large and active lung nodules detected about a year ago during one of her periodic follow up checks with her oncologist. From what I have read here, most lung nodules are rather small and stable and NOT cancerous.

I will guess we will not know the resuts (good news) until late next week.  I'll share the results when they come as some of us active "members" of this thread keep a watch over one another.

For those who celebrate the USA special day of thanks: Happy Thanksgiving.  and to all Be Thankful, and enjoy every day.
Hi, Jerry, I am joining in your prayer for further reduction of your wife's nodules.  I hope she is feeling well.  She is lucky to have such a caring husband!

Please do update with the results.  
Take care,
Sharon
I agree with Sharon...Your wife is very lucky to have you caring for her!!!
sending positive thoughts...

Anto
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too!  Let us know how your wife does on the tests - (hoping for very good news)!!!  
Well, here we are a good 36 hours since the CT scan, and no results --- ha, but the Barium Sulfate lingers on.  

The Barium drink has had the usual unwanted side effect:  intestinal distress, plus a head ache and ringing in the ears.  That didn't happen last time she had a CT scan.  We're holding to the hope it will just go away.

I post mostly to let folks know the Barium Sulfate drink that provides the needed backdrop for the CT scan can have some bad side effects.
Sorry to hear the effects of the test are still lingering on.  My brother had a similar test and he was not feeling well for days.  Hope she is feeling well soon. Hugs, Julie
Still intestinal distress ...  the Barium Sulfate may only have triggered it but it goes on, so much so I took her into the Oncology center were they gave her a hydration IV and prescribed taking the over-the-counter (Imodium (immodium) or similar) medication every 4 hours, not to exceed 12 mg (6 in 24 hours).  She has a chemo tomorrow and will follow up on that then.

The doctor who checked her is not her regular Oncologist, but he said the CT results were back and they look good, I asked about the nodules and I understood him to say the smaller ones are gone and another is stable against the last CT.  I hope to see the full report tomorrow and to hear her doctor takes her off of chemo or maybe changes from once every two weeks to once a month - chemo isn't any fun, seems worse this time, but we are 3+ years older than when she underwent the first series.  

Again, please, this is my/our story it is not a statement that lung nodules are cancerous, most are not.  In fact when I commented to the doctor that I believed lung nodules are present in many people who do not have cancer, and he said, in effect, "we could both have nodules and not know it because we have never had a CT scan".  This doctor couldn't be much over 40 years old thus his comment/statement says even young people can have nodules. He went on to suggest (I wasn't taking notes or recording, and my memory...) that dirty air (not necessarily smoking) can cause lung nodules/blemishes.  My wife smoked for about 25 years, I for about 30 years.
Glad to hear your wife's CT Scan looks good!  Happy Holidays!
Im glad too for your wife's  scan looks good :)
Good news on the CT!  Now I hope the hydration helped and your wife is feeling better - a break or reduced schedule from the chemo would be a nice holiday gift!  
New to board.  3 month ago found nodule during scan for other issue.  Just got report from 2nd CT scan which  says" Nodule 12x7mm. Stable right lower lobe pulmonary nodule. Continue short term follow up CT, this could be at a three month interval.

From those of you who have had more experience with this, I don't recall the info from first scan with regard to the shape, I did have a good PET scan.

Doc is checking with his team, and either recommending 3-6 month follow-up CT or removal ???
48 Years Old. Former Smoker.

Thanks for your input. Is this a fairly large nodule?
Tammy
Seeing no replies, I'll jump in with the simple advice:  be positive and optimistic!

I don't have "hard data" but the little I know from reading is most nodules are benign and the lowest risk way to determine that is to take additional CT scans.  It they are not growing in number or size they are likely something many of us have and don't even know and that is fine we don't need to do anything.

I bet you are gong to get good news on your next CT scan.

Merry Christmas
Hi Tammy,
stability after 3 months is already an excellent news.
What did the PET scan say? is the nodule active?
As far as i know nodules around 1cm in size are good candidate for biopsies...
Have you tried to ask your doctor if you could have it done? I personally would go for it ...

Let us know

Yes Tammy Antoit is right.  Your nodule is 1 cm so you could ask the doctor about a needle biopsy.  The doctor may not want to do a biopsy since you indicated that your PET scan was normal.  My PET scan showed some activity so I had a needle biopsy which did not show any malignancy.  Hope to hear more good new from you.  I am also a former smoker.  And a Merry Christmas to all.
I had my follow up scan on 28th Nov and got the results that everything is good. No real growth in nodules and all indications are they are of a benign nature. I get another scan in 6 months just as a matter of routine but I am not unduly worried about that. I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread as it has been a great source of information and comfort to me whilst I was going through the stress of waiting for my scan to come back. I wish everyone a great Xmas and a prosperous and most importantly a healthy new year. Again Thank you!

Congratulations, keep up the good work !!

Merry Christmas and Happy/healthy New Year(s)
Thanks for taking time to share the good news - this is great to hear.  I also have multiple small nodules and will have a follow-up scan next month.  

Merry Christmas and happy New Year!
Very happy to see that even crossfitguy s scan showed stability....:)

Christmas is coming and i want to wish every one on this board a happy one and a new year of stable scans!!! LOL :)

Anto
I'm new here, 43 year old male smoker, smoker for 29 years.

Had CT scan about 11/22 and they found a single 5 mm nodule in my middle right lobe. It also said there were early emphysemous changes in my upper lungs. Haven't found a pulmonary doc yet, but the radiologist recommended  a follow up scan in 3 to 6 months. My primary wants me to get the scan March 1st, so that's what I will likely do.

From what I have read it's unlikely to be malignant, but that sure doesn't keep me from worrying. I have to quit smoking. I've tried some of the e-cigs and they're not bad, just expensive.

The other thing that's disheartening is that I now know that I will have to keep an eye on my lungs for the rest of my life. I'm beginning to realize that you can't smoke for 30 years and get away scot free.

I read about something called myo-inositol powder than can reverse early malignant changes in some people's pulmonary tract muscosa.  I may start taking that too.

Thanks for reading. Just wanted to connect with others who are in the same situation as I.
Hello MdntCowboy,
I am sorry you had to join this board...
I have been a heavy smoker for 13 years and my scan also showed emphysemous changes in my upper lungs...My pulmonary doc never even mentioned like something that needs attention...so i wouldn't be worried about that at all...Of course, it would be great, if you manage, to quit smoking as those emphysemous changes are surely smoke related and can worsen if you keep on smoking.

I quit smoking normal cigarettes 14 months ago thanks to the electronic cigarettes...You are right , at the beginning they seem expensive. I suggest you buy a good one and make the e-liquid by yourself....In the long run you will save lots of money. Feel free to ask if you need tips on this...

Don't be scared for the nodule...read all the posts above...you will understand that lung nodules are quite common on chest scans...

Keep us posted,

A.

I smoked myself from about age 15 to 45. I would not consider that period to be "Heavy" smoking.  But I did a bit of pipe smoking along with cigarettes - about a pack a day, more on weekends likely.

I quite "cold turkey" at age 45 and moved to regular exercising including jogging, was doing 3 miles at 10 minutes or less up to about age 67.

I am now 74 and still alive.  The only breathing problems I have are chronic nasal congestion at night (saline spray helps) and mild sleep apnea.  I have undergone a full sleep study and Xrays by a Pulmonary specialist. Nothing was found to be wrong with my lungs - I have never had a CT scan.

I am convinced that is I had continued to smoke I would not be typing this post now.  I'll guess I would have died by my early 60s.

Oh yes, I suffer from permanent atrial fibrillation of the heart, and have undergone open heart surgery at the age of 67 to repair the mitral valve.  Was the heart problems due to smoking?  I think not, but I think the stopping and the cardiovascular exercise I undertook for 20 years before the valve surgery helped, at least in my recovery.  I consider the heart surgery which put me in intensive care for 5 days, was a "cake walk"... it took another couple of months to fully recover and the atrial fibrillation has stopped my running for exercise...and forces me to work to keep my weight in check.

Stop Smoking, please - those electronic cigs likely put you into an environment where others are smoking exposing you second hand smoke and making it difficult to quit.
Thanks to both of you for responding. Congratulations to you both for quitting smoking. Jerry, I'm in NJ too, Morris County.

The only thing my primary doc could find out from the radiologist is that there was no mistake on the scan, the nodule is really there, it's not perfectly round, and I'm supposed to follow up after 3 months with another CT scan without contrast. It's too small to biopsy or PET.

In the meantime I need to find a good e-cig. I like the Logic brand except it runs out fast. Antoit, you say you mix your own juice?  Does it have nicotine in it?  I would need one with nicotine. I went onto the e cig forum and it's so huge, I don't even know where to start. I just know the ones I used so far taste pretty nasty and run out kinda fast.

I'm also going to use some of that myo-inositol, if I can find a decent brand for the right price. I read that it can reverse pre-malignancy in smokers cells.

My wife died from pancreatic cancer a year ago and I'm a single parent of an 11 year old boy. The thought of having lung cancer scares the hell out of me. I can hardly bear to think of my son losing his father, too.
Thank you for your responses. My PET was good. 2nd Cat stable. Doctor hasn't mentioned anything about biopsy.  I'm not crazy about the idea myself. I figure if it has to come out, take it out, why play with it.  Not thrilled with taking it out either!...Happy Holidays all !!
I haven't had one myself, but it a Needle Biopsy is proposed, it is easy.  My wife had one and she didn't have any complaints about pain during or after.

Not sure what you mean by "take it out", has your doctor suggested removal of a nodule is being considered?  I haven't heard of that, but then there's a lot I haven't heard of, thank God.

Merry Christmas
Actually, he mumbled it once or twice. After reading report, Doc follows up with his "team" and he said, lets see what they say, watch it or remove it.  Is this unusual??

Merry Xmas to all !
So I had my first pulmonary appointment today. Really good doc out of Morristown Memorial. 40 years experience. I showed him CT films and he said he didn't think it was anything. He told me not to worry about it. He's going to show the films to his own radiology guy, but he said the thing was so tiny and not spiculated.
He's having me wait 4 months instead of 3 to repeat the scan, unless his radiologist thinks it should be sooner.

I ran my numbers through the pulmonary nodule calculator on medscape and it says the likelihood  of my nodule being malignant was 2.4%, which isn't zero, but pretty low.

I feel a little better since that appointment. I know there's plenty of exceptions to the probabilities, and lots of lung cancer patients have heard their doctors say not to worry, but I do trust this guy's experience.

Now it's time to give up the cigarettes.

Happy New Year to all.

Congratulations I think you are alright... but one needs to be checked periodically - that said I've never had a CT scan myself, not sure I meet the criteria I suggest.  I do get a full physical exam every year.

And YES !! "give up the cigaretters"  I quit smoking in 1984 and think that has a lot to do with the fact I am still alive and still have no lung problems...my heart isn't do so well but... growing old has it problems.  I do not associate my heart problems with past smoking, but it may have played a factor.. just quit you'll feel a lot better physically and mentally, not to mention saving $'s per day.
Happy New Year.  So glad things went so well for you.  I would say when I had my last CT Scan in 2011 the cards were stacked against me - the nodule grew from 7 mm to 11 mm and it was spiculated - then the PET/CT scan had some activity,  I even though I must have something, so after the needle biopsy did not show a malignancy I was thrilled.  I couldn't believe it.  Wow it is 2014 already.  It will be 5 years in a couple or so months since my nodules were first identifed.  And yes it is time for you to give up the cigarettes, - you can do it.   Best wishes, Julie.
Nice to hear from both of you. I hope all is going well in the New Year.
My pulmonologist showed my film to his radiologist and the radiologist said he thinks it's nothing to worry about. He even said I could wait 6 months to get a follow up CT instead of 3 or 4 months. However, I'm still going to get one at 3 or 4.
Every little pain I have feels like cancer. The chest, the back, the shoulder......I've got this crazy vision of some super fast growing small cell cancer spreading all over my torso. It's really got me freaked out.
It's good for me to come here and check in every once in awhile. Julie you had every reason to believe yours was cancer and it wasn't, so that keeps me feeling a little better. I would love to get a biopsy but my nodule just isn't big enough to sample, unless they opened up my chest to take the whole thing out.
If mine turns out benign then this whole experience could be a real life changer and for the better. Time will tell.
Say hello when you get a chance.
Patrick
I am new here and add me to the "worry hopelessly about a nodule in my lung" group.

I am 43, NEVER smoked, and a regular xray found a 8.7mm nodule on my left lung. I suffer from sever acid reflux and sever anxiety. AND I live in Phoenix Arizona where I just found out about Valley Fever. I also live a block away from farming land and where we have too many pigeons in our subdivision.

Just got new insurance and knew I would need a referral from new dr to get my mammogram. They offered me a wellness check of an xray, blood work, and ekg. The doctor came in and said my xray looked good. Well, 6 days later, at 6:30 at night (they close at 8) I get a call from the nurse saying the radiology dept report came back and stated a nodule on my lung and to "recheck in 6 months". The nurse said the dr would give me a referral to a lung dr.

You know what sucked? The nurse originally told me 3mm, but when I called back and hour later to ask her a question and was told she had left, the guy who answered said he could answer for me, so when I asked what size again, he came back with 8.7! I told him the nurse just told me 3mm. So when I called her back the next day and got her on the phone, I told her what she originally told the size was and she said, "Oh, sorry, I must of got that from the web."
Gee, thanks.

Needless to say, I have been surfing the web since this past Monday looking up lung nodules.

I've seen calcified is better than non-calcified, nodules under 10mm won't show up on xrays (they did for me)
nodules period won't show up on xrays, 1 nodule is better than having multiple, and vice versa.

Glad to see the majority of people here have come up negative with their nodules.
I am making my lung doctor appt tomorrow.
I am scared stiff. And also waiting for my mammogram results to come back. I have cystic breasts so it's always something!

Hi - so sorry your going through this.  We have all been there.  The X-Rays are probably better at detecting nodules that are smaller in size than they used to be.  Like the rest of us you'll probably need to be watched for two years, and will probably be asked to have a CT Scan done.  Your nodule just may be from the environment you live in.  I am actually thinking mine came from having laughing gas during dental work.  I had no activity on my nodule for over a year, and then I had an hour & a half of dental work with nitrix oxide (spelling) laughing gas and when I had my next CT Scan the nodule grew.  I have had laughing gas previously but didn't have any the first year I had my CT Scans.  Please advise us as to what the doctor says when you go to your appointment, and please try not to stress.  Julie.

p.s. Nice to hear from all of you.  Hi Patrick!
Your tests are coming out so well, I wish I had a magic wand and could stop your worrying, but you sound like me when I was getting the 3 & 6 month CT then the 1 year CT etc.....I was always worried!  If the doctor even told you to wait 6 months that is a very good sign.  My doctor insisted on 3-4 months after my first CT.  How is 2014 been for you so far.  

Jerry - hope all is well for you and your wife.  

Wishing everyone good health.
Julie, I wish you had the magic wand for all of us!  My six-month repeat CT is this afternoon.  I'm going to a newer facility out of town so as to be exposed to less radiation.  Will update when I hear something.  Heavenlyone, pulmonologist suspects histoplasmosis in my situation.  My nodules also initially presented on x-ray.  
Wishing good results... and thanks for comment on "newer" and "lower radiation" I'll ask my wife to ask at our hospital what they use.  
Hi, HeavnelyOne. Sorry that you had to find this thread. We're all going through the same thing. It's no fun. If it makes you feel any better, I have a friend who is a long time smoker. She has a nodule the same size as yours, also left lung, but it hasn't grown at all in a year and a half. It also was negative on a PET scan. And you're not even a smoker. Did the doc offer to do PET for yours? I would look into it. I think 8 to 10 mm is big enough to get a PET. I could be wrong, but they gave one to my friend. Hang in there. Let us know.
Hi, Julie.....2014 would be great if it wasn't for that stupid nodule. I also wish you had a magic wand. You know, after I saw the pulmonary and he showed the CT to his radiologist, and they both said I shouldn't worry about it much, I felt great for about 5 days. Then I went back to worrying.
Your theory on the laughing gas is interesting.
I'm going to just keep on keepin on. There isn't much I can do but wait.
I wish I had my own CT scan machine at home. lol. Hope it's warmer there than here!

Patrick
I have to wait 3 weeks for an appt!! I guess it's a busy lung time for lung doctors!

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I am just in the beginning stages of all this. I just got my referral for a lung doctor this past Friday and I can't even get into my first appt till Feb 12.
I had to wait about a month for my pulmonary appointment. But I wanted to see a guy who had a good rep and lots of experience.
Maybe your pulmonary doc is so busy because he's good.

Patrick
Hopefully! But I was told by one nurse that the average wait for a lung doctor is 3-6 weeks!
I guess it could be that time of year! Especially out here in Arizona.
Getting into a Pulmonary Doctor in Hunterdon Counte NJ was a "slam dunk" for me.  I had some oxygen saturation problems on an overnight Oximeter test run under prescription of my Primary Care. My PC recommended a PD practice and I was taken in the next week and did a full sleep study the next week.  

My wife and CT scans seem to came as needed, but too often unfortunately, that's why I am pleased to read there is a new lower radiation method.
I had my six-month follow-up CT on Monday and hadn't yet heard results by mid-afternoon today.  Needless to say I was very stressed.  I called the pulmonologist's office late afternoon and was told he had just dictated a letter to me.  My nodules have resolved and no follow-up is needed.  The nodules and enlarged node were apparently the result infection.  (I was very sick when this all started - never got a definite diagnosis.  I had multiple bilateral nodules, largest 5 mm, that appeared on x-ray and CT).  Pulmonologist mentioned possible histoplasmosis at our last appt.  

Thanks especially to Jerry, Julie and Antoit for your support earlier and hoping for stable scans and good news for everyone in 2014.  
So glad to hear. Best possible news anyone could have.
Great New Sharon!  The best possible news a person can get.  :) :) :) I am so very happy for you. I am sure your relieved.  And yes, wishing everyone good news for 2014 and beyond.
I have been reading all your post during the past week and have been freaking out but found your post calming. So I wanted to share my story to help others. I had a CT 02-11 and they found multiple nodule with a 6 month follow up had no change. I was supposed to get another a year later but foolishly did not. I never received the details of my previous CT scan but when I had another scan 01-22-13, I received a report indicating they didn't have anything to compare to and receive these results via email. Since I didn't have my previous result and the total number and size of my nodules I was having a meltdown. It took me all week to get the comparison results. Which indicated little to no change,
RESULT:

CLINICAL HISTORY: Followup pulmonary nodules. Smoker.

TECHNIQUE: Axial CT images of the chest performed without contrast.

COMPARISON FILMS: CT CHEST with contrast 11/29/2011.

FINDINGS:
Multiple scattered pulmonary nodules identified for index:
Right middle lobe high density 6 mm nodule, partially calcified (60/ 3).
Right lower lobe subpleural 6 x 5 mm nodule (77/3 ).
Right medial lobe subpleural 4 mm nodule (77/3 ).
Right middle lobe anterior 4 mm nodule ( 70 /3 ).
Right middle lobe peri fissural 5 mm  nodule ( 51/3 ), likely represents
intrapulmonary lymph node.
Right upper lobe 3 mm nodular density(37/3 ).
Right upper lobe subpleural 3 mm groundglass nodule (23/3).
Left upper lobe calcified granuloma.
Trachea and mainstem bronchi are patent. No focal airspace consolidation.
Normal attenuation from the lung parenchyma.
The  visualized thyroid gland grossly within normal. No large
pathological axillary, hilar or mediastinal nodes.
No pleural or pericardial effusion.
Normal outline of the thoracic aorta. Minimal atherosclerotic
calcification of the aortic arch. Normal outline the pulmonary arteries.
Patulous distal esophagus versus small hiatal hernia.
Limited images through the upper abdomen demonstrate normal outline of
the adrenal glands. No suspicious osseous lesion. Minimal anterior
floating osteophytes.

IMPRESSION:
Multiple pulmonary nodules as detailed .
The aforementioned pulmonary nodules in the right middle lobe, right
lower lobe all appear stable since previous exam.
Right middle lobe 6 mm nodule , stable in size with new punctate
peripheral calcification.
Given the stability over 2 years, no further followup is recommended
according to Fleischner's Society recommendations.
Impression:
Right upper lobe 3 mm subpleural groundglass nodule is new since previous
exam.
Recommendation: followup is recommended  for the right upper lobe
groundglass nodules in 6 to 12 months.

Not out of the woods but much better then I thought it would have been.
RESULT:

FINDINGS:
intrapulmonary lymph node.
Left upper lobe calcified granuloma.
No pleural or pericardial effusion.
floating osteophytes.

IMPRESSION:
peripheral calcification.
Impression:
exam.
groundglass nodules in 6 to 12 months.

Thanks for sharing.  Glad to hear your nodules seem unchanged.  Keep us updated, and best wishes to you.  Julie
My husband had a CT scan last week because of a kidney stone and they found out that he has 2 nodules in his lungs- one is 3 mm and the other is 7 mm. He is scheduled for a CT scan in three months. He has allergies and excessive mucus problem and I wonder if mucus could cause these nodules. I am very worried:( he is 49 and never smoked
Hello everyone,
I have been away from this forum for a while...
I promised to myself to stay calm and away from the internet...
Unfortunately it didnt help much...my lung nodules are always in my mind...
I am now 3 months away from my next scan and you can imagine all the things that are crossing my mind.
I can se that sadly new ones have joined this thread...but im also happy that many of you had good news to post. Sharon16 your post gives some hope to everyone on here...so happy you are out of this nightmare...Also glad that someone like Skiptate spent some of his time to give us some hope :)

to Melody_gs: Your husband has 2 nodules as i have ...one of my nodule is also 7mm...They were stable 7 months after...hope this helps to make you feel less worried. Did he have kidney stone before? Maybe he has already been scanned in the past and you might have something to compare with.

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Anto
Thanks for your reply. It was the first time he had a Ct scan so we have nothing to compare:(
Yes, it is scary when they find nodules and the problem is they cannot distinquish between benign and malignancy. That is what makes this so nerve racking.  I really wonder how many people actually have nodules and never get diagnosed?  In early 2009 I would have never known about the nodules if I wasn't having a CT Scan for other reasons.  The only good thing that has come out of the 2009 CT Scan is that I actually gave up smoking about a week after the nodules were identified.  Yes Antoit the worry is always there no matter how much we try to keep calm.  I surely hope that a new test comes up where we do not have to keep having CT Scan for years!  That the test will be able to distinquish as to what they nodules actually are right then and there.  Happy Sunday to you too!  Happy Sunday everyone.  Hugs, Julie
I have been trying to find answer on the net and I read an article written by a specialist saying that nodules are very common and 99% of them is benign but I will still be very nervous until we get the results in 3 months
That's right Melody. 99% of them are benign.
I suggest you go on the cancergrace.com website and watch the lung nodules podcast.
You can easily find the link in one of my previous post....I suggested it many times...It's very well made...probably the best resource on the topic you can find online...
It will make you understand how common these findings are due to the high resolution of the scanners nowadays.
Hope that helps...

Anto
If you find the article regarding nodules being 99% benign - please, please please share the article with us, or let us know where it is at!  Even though I have had a biopsy - I still worry.  I had read last week on another site about false-negative results.  OMG I started to worry again even though it has been almost 5 years since my nodules were identified.  And Antoit your saying Cancergrace has an article?  That is where I read about the false-negative.  Hope all is going well for all of you. Julie
What do you mean by false negative Julie?
Do you mean a wrong pathology report from the biopsy?

If your nodules have been stable over the last 5 years there's no chance, based of current knowledges, that they might be malignant.
We don't need to wait even 5 years for that...2 or 3 years are more than enough as for the what oncology science knows nowadays there's no abnormal cell that stays stable for more than 2 years.

I think we should look at these nodules as moles on our body...everyone has some and in some cases they can become malignant...If a mole is stable over the years there's little chance that that mole would become a melanoma ( skin cancer).

Oncology is not an exact science...That is for sure...but the diagnostic processes in oncology are quite advanced and there is a full or nearly full understanding of what is malignant and what is not...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/27/lung-spots-less-dangerous-than-patients-think/ is the link to the article
Thanks Melody for sharing this. :)
This makes me happy for 2 reasons: The first is that they compare them to the moles as i did (LOL)...and the second, which is the most important one, is that such a topic has been treated on fox.com which, as far as i know, is not a medical board...right? This makes me think that this issue of lung nodules is a common one even more...These kind of websites do not treat topics which  are not of wide interest....do they? Whats your opinion on this?

Hugs from Rome!

Anto

Your very welcome. Fox News is not a medical board. Such articles make me kinda relieved but don't stop my worrying:( I keep praying that we will hear the good news in 3 months. Julie, where are you from? Another article I read said that nodules are extremely common among people from the Midwest.
I had a stroke in my spinal cord (yes, very rare) in May of 2012.  Two weeks later, I had multiple pulmonary emboli in both lungs.  The CT scan also showed muliple pulmonary nodules (2 1/2 cm) at that time.  I had way too much on my plate to worry about the nodules.  I had become a paraplegic from the waist down and the ER doctor needed to know "my next of kin" because he said that I had a 75% chance of dying from the emboli.  A year later, I had a follow-up CT scan of my lungs and the nodules had grown to 3 cm.  Since late last fall, I have had a cough that won't go away.  I just had another CT and will get the results in 3 weeks.  It looks like a lot of people on this forum have had non cancerous nodules.  I can't take any more bad news. I had a small cerebral stroke a few months ago and am disabled.  I just want to LIVE and am not ready to die,  Yesterday my urologist set me up for a CT of my kidneys because of bleeding.  Jeez!  Thank heaven I usually have a positive attude, but now I am starting to get blue from all the bad news.
I just read the FoxNews article about lung nodules, thanks for sharing the site Melody.  Helps calm my nerves.  And yes Antoit 5 years later and I still worry.
Darlingtondoll, so very sorry to hear what your dealing with.  I would think without a biopsy it is hard to say what your pulmonary nodules are.  Has the doctor talked to you about a biopsy?  I am praying that they are just negative lung nodules.  
As for me I am originally from the East Coast now livng on the West Coast.  I remember as a child I loved the smell of gasoline.  When my parents were putting gasoline in the vehicle I would go stand close to the nozzle so I could smell the gasoline.  Don't know if that may have affected my lungs since I never had a CT Scan until I was in my 50s.  
Hoping everyone is doing well. Hugs, Julie
Hi Julie.  I too am originally from the East Coast (Massachusetts) but spent half of my life in California (Mountain View, the Monterey Peninsula and lastly, Palm Springs).  I talked to my hematologist and we decided that if they are larger this time, that I will have a biopsy.  My blood work looks OK except that my LDH is elevated and by BUN and Creatinine is borderline. I cried doe 12 hours last night but I am feeling better now that I have read so many posts about benign nodules.  I'll know more as soon as my doctors see me again.
I have been in California for over 30 years now.  Have they discussed what type of biopsy they want to perform on you?  It is scary to not know it our nodules are benign or not.  

I had read that there is going to be a new test that will be able to detect early lung cancer with a saliva sample.  Don't know when this test is going to be available.

Your in my prayers and I pray all your tests come back normal!
i am sorry to hear all that you went through during the past few years.
I know how it feels not knowing...Even if they have grown it does not mean it is a LC. Some benign masses also grow...Granulomas for example.
If i'm not wrong even Julie underwent for a biopsy for some growing and the biopsy revealed a benign nodule....am I right Julie?
Crying is good sometimes..helps us. Today is exactly one year since i found out i had them....I'll never forget that day...I knew nothing about lung nodules and on God knows how much i cried that day. To me that report was saying i had LC...Wish i had the knowledge i have today on this topic...I'd surely have reacted differently... We, as human beings, are scared of the unknown...But often the reality is way less scary than it seems to be!!! Sending you positive thoughts! Kepp us posted if you feel like!

Anto
Yes antoit my nodules had grown and the biopsy of two areas was benign.  How is everyones weekend going? Antoit you have done alot of research regarding nodules and you have become a good source of knowledge.  Wow it has been 1 year since your nodules were identified.  Wishing everyone the best, Julie
My nodules did not grow.  I am sooo happy!  I just ate four chocolates.
OMG that is great!  No changes!  I am so glad you have the good news regarding your nodules.  Have a whole box of chocolates and maybe a cupcake to celebrate the good news!
I have to watch my weight because I still spend time every day in a wheelchair.  I can still lift my entire body with just my arms and I need to stay small.
That's a fantastic news!!!!! Im glad!!!! :)
My husband had bladder cancer successfully treated december 2012. On a follow up scan of abdomen in april 2013 they caught his lungs. He has 2 nodules, one is 2mm and the other is 3 mm. His bladder cancer was Ta, non invasive and low grade. There are no recurrences and he is being checked by a uro- onc every 3-6 months. Yesterday he went for follow up scan  on nodules. It has been 10 1/2 months. They are unchanged marked stable. We spoke to radiologist directly and he told us he believes them to be benign due to histoplasmosis ( we are from the midwest) he said < 4 mm nodules would not even be followed if my husband didn't have history of bladder cancer.  And mets would have changed over 10 months. His recommendation was repeat scan in 8-9 months . We are speaking with his doctor today to see if he agrees with that recommendation. I am relieved the nodules are stable, but am a worrier by nature. Any comments appreciated.
P.s. This group is the most reassuring place for folks with nodules. Some articles online are so scary.
You are doing better than i do with 5 days of no worry. I am only good for about 5 hours of not worrying about my hubby's 2 nodules. These nodules take a toll on all of us.
Melody, my husband has 2 nodules, 2 mm and 3 mm. Stable after 10 1/2 months. I understand your worry.
Hubby and i spoke directly to radiologist last nite who said that exactly. Nodules commonly seen in people from midwest. We lived in Ohio 45 years and Illinois for 13.
His nodules are really tiny and the radiologist is right - if there was anything to worry about they nodules would have grown in 10 months.  Glad to also hear he is doing well with the bladder too.  Yes, I have heard that people from certain areas are more prone to being diagnosed with nodules.  Please keep us updated! Best wishes. Julie
Thanks for the encouragement Julie. I wish no one had to endure these scans. But, glad you are doing well!
Does anyone besides me get really concerned about the radiation? Hubby has had 3 scans now in the last 14 months. I know it's a risk/ benefit thing.
Hi Hudsongrl,
your husband nodules are extremely tiny...probably the tiniest ones ever reported on this thread... :) The thing that they have been stable for almost an year is quite reassuring too...
Do you have any old chest scan to compare? Something done like 3 years ago? If already present that would put your mind at rest!

Did you know that even people affected by LC have benign nodules that have no relation with their disease? Almost half of the population shows abnormalities on CT scans...

I'd suggest you to tell your husband story to Dr.West on the cancer grace.com forum. He's a very kind and knowledgable doctor and I am sure he will reassure you! When it comes to lungs he is the man!!! :)

Avoid to google "lung nodules"...it makes very little sense...as many information are outdated and based on specific criteria which are difficult to understand if you're not a doctor.
But then again we are talking about such little findings that, as your radiologist said, would not even require any fallow up!

Keep us posted if you feel like.

Best,

anto

Hi there, thanks for your post. We have no old CT scans for comparison. Just the one from a year ago when the micronodules were first found. I made the mistake of googling "lung nodules" before I found you folks here, and so many articles talk about metastasis that i freaked myself out.

My husbands bladder cancer was caught early and was low grade. Pathology showed clear margins, tumor was considered superficial, meaning it did not invade bladder wall. He has followups every 3-6 months for that and all has been good. We see a urologist/ oncologist at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago for that. The radiologist told us with early bladder cancer it would be very unlikely for it to spread to lungs, but I am a worrier.

My husband is very calm...go figure :)

Anyway, your words meant so much to me as i was feeling down tonite.

Thanks again!
P.S even though radiologist said repeat scan in 8-9 months i think hubby has decided to repeat in 6 months and doc is ok with that too.
Hello everyone,

I just thought it was fair to pop in and give you a good news.
A friend on mine (we met on here) today just told me she got her 1 year scan report which showed no changes again!
I am so happy for her...I think she probably doesn't even remember this website so i thought it was fair to give the news as many people post on here and then we don't hear from them anymore!!!
We need good news! don't we?

wish you all a nice Sunday

Hello, all. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Unfortunately, haven't had any news. My pulmonologist said I should wait until the 4 month mark to get my re-scan   4 months came and my lousy insurance company said they won't pay for another scan until 6 months have passed. Go figure. Those are their guidelines. I was going absolutely nuts with worry, with every expectation that I had a fast-growing lung tumor the size of a grapefruit pushing out my chest wall, ready to kill me. Anyway, I did get a chest x ray just to make sure it wasn't something humongous like that and it was clear. I know there's a lot that won't show on a chest x ray. From what I hear, a nodule that's 8 or 10 mm will show up on x ray, but there are even exceptions to that.

I totally felt like I had something huge growing in my lungs, pushing against my ribs and working it's way up into my airways. I'm not out of the woods until I get that CT scan to see if it has changed some. But I'm a little relieved it isn't something huge and growing out of control. I feel like---if it's still pretty small come May 21st then hopefully it hasn't spread and they can resect it and I can be cured. If it has showed no changes at all, then I will feel much better.

The anxiety involved is torturous. And being on here helps me realize that I'm not crazy. That there are others who get worried about lung nodules.

I take some solace in the fact that my pulmonary isn't worried about it at all. He's fine with the 6 month scan as he says the nodule "looks very benign".  I could always pay for a scan myself and just get it done now, but it is pricey and I'm not loaded to the hilt. At least 6 months will give me a clearer picture of everything.

Julie, Antoit--I'm glad to hear you two are doing well. Hope to see you in here soon.

Hudsongirl, I read thru your posts. Sorry about what's gone on with your husband but I really do think he has nothing to worry about. I know that doesn't help your worrying any. But think of me as a lung nodule expert....lol. I've read just about everything there is to read on pulmonary nodules and quite a bit on lung cancer, too. I'm thinking he will be ok.

Regards,

Patrick
Yes, stability seems to be good news even when cancer has been found, maybe more so in the case of cancer.

My wife's condition required (she is a cancer survivor, and has been surgery and chemo in the past) chemo followed by something not called chemo but administered in the same way.  I went with her to her treatment yesterday in part because she has a CT scan coming up April 1.  In her meeting with the doctor I asked what would be good news as far as the CT scan goes, I suggested the obvious of nodules gone, to fewer and smaller (a past result about 6 months ago) and the doctor said stability (no growth) would be good.  So, even if nodules are/were cancerous stability is great as that means the cancer is not active.  

For those who do not have cancer, the majority of those posting here I believe, and thank God, I post this both as an update for those who have followed along on my wife's case and for those who have stable nodules.. which clearly means there is no active cancer.
Nice to see you again, Jerry. I'm glad to hear, it sounds like your wife is doing well. Hoping that her CT scan turned out good. Please let us know. I'm praying for her.

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

I think that what your pulmonary told you  "looks very benign" its a very important information.
They see scans every day and they can tell by looking at the nodules what looks suspicious and what doesn't.
When i got my first scan done i managed to get a copy of it on a CD and i sent it to a specialist who gave me information about the look of my nodules...He said they didn't look suspicious. That had more value for me than whatever the report from the radiologist stated!!!...I still have his email saved and time to time,when i feel negative about this situation, i go and read it again! :)

I think nodules are a bit like moles...many people have them (i am all covered :)) some of them look suspicious some other look benign....A dermatologist can tell straight away, from his/her experience, what looks bad and what does not and so can a pulmonary doctor when he looks at lung scans.

That's why i think you should repeat to yourself the statement of your doctor time to time...i'm sure it will make you feel better...

Gerry;
long time we haven't heard from you on here...Hope you are well.
I think you are right about the stability thing.
I suppose as for today your wife has already been scanned...I'll send positive thoughts for the best outcome!!!
Please keep us updated about her situation if you want.

Anto
I am doing well.  Spent a week in Vegas and have to go home this afternoon.  Take care! Julie
I was at the emergency room and they did an abdominal CT scan and found scattered pulmonary nodules in my lower lungs... need to make an appointment for a Doc and a chest CT. What I have read in this group makes me feel better, but Im scared. Im gonna call a Dr. Monday to get checked next week. Will let you all know what I hear. I need to quit smoking in a hurry. Been a smoker for 30 yrs and a house painter.... hope I am okay.
Stopping smoking is a given, regardless of what the CT scan shows.

I smoked for about 30 years, and quit about 30 years ago (do the math, I'm old and still alive).

I in this group because of my wife's problems which may or may not be related to past smoking.  But she, like I, quit many years ago and believe it hs contributed to our longevity and general quality of life on the physical side.

Most nodules are benign from what I read.  My wife's were not but they seem to be under control with treatment - but not needing treatment is far better and not smoking can help in that regard.

Many people stop out of fear, and that is a good and effective motivator, use it.
I now know that I have 3 nodules 4mm, 4 mm and 3 mm... thinking I am probably okay. Yes quitting smoking is a must. No doubt about it. I think I feel lucky considering I have smoked for a long time and also spraying paint etc for over 25 yrs. I havent been as safety minded as I probably should have been. Im not so scared now knowing their size.
Good day.  Yes, your nodules are very small, and multiple pulmary nodules are usually benign.  I quit smoking around April 2009 with nicorette gum.  I quit a week after my lung nodules were discovered via CT Scan.  So I sincerely hope you quit smoking no matter what.  Enjoy your Sunday!  Julie
Hi Patrick, thanks so much for your kind words. This is certainly an anxiety provoking condition and the folks on this group are so supportive. I do not blame you for getting that chest x- ray done...peace of mind is priceless. Sending calming thoughts to everyone tonite! Love reading the good news here.
New to the group. Had an abdominal CT for some pain I was having and the CT came back with a nodule in my lower right lung, 5mm. Got sent for a Chest CT and they found 2 more, another in the lower right lobe (4mm) and one int the apex (3mm). Im a 30 yr old female and I am freaking out. Im scared I have lymphoma or metastasized cancer from somewhere else. I have severe health anxiety and this is just awful for me. They also saw a mildly enlarged spleen (within upper limits of normal). I have been crying all day. I have 2 small children and I am just stricken with worry. I have an appt with a pulmonologist on monday. Any idea of what to expect? Will they do a biopsy or CT/PET scan?
Have you had any cancer in the past?  If not then metastasized seems very unlikely, I believe.

The "odds" are in your favor.  From what I have read most lung nodules are benign.

The usual way to determine in my experience is first to wait a period, say a month or more and then do another CT.  This is compared with the "baseline" scan you already have.  If there is not change I think the diagnosis is: Benign.

If the nodules are active growing or increasing in number, a needle biopsy would be performed.  This is not a painful procedure and is the "gold" standard in determining cancer or not.

Nodules below 10 cm are to my knowledge considered small, and perhaps "normal" for non-cancerous nodules.

If the worse is the case the cancer can be treated with Chemo therapy.

I pay you have the most likely case BENIGN.  Believe in that and if wrong then start to work on a cure.  Don't increase the pain by assuming the worse, which is treatable.

You are young and that works in your favor, mom, we are "pulling" for hearing good news from you.
I agree with Jerry,
you are very young for this and the size of your nodules is small to be anything...

I suggest you go read all the previous posts as well as watching the cancergrage podcast i have many time suggested to all the newbies :)
(you'll find a link somewhere if you scroll this page up).
There's also a page from foxnews somewhere...Read it...it's very encouraging...

Don't cry and please don't waste any day of your life worrying for these nodules as i did...Live any healthy day you have!

If you have any question please do not google...Results for "lung nodules" on google are quite scary...but 99% of the things you will find refer to situations which are far far away to be related to your situation (It took me nearly a year to understand that....)

If you have any question you can ask to people on here...
Some of them are quite experienced on the topic.

I know now it's hard but trust me it will get better and better...sometimes i completely forget i have them for weeks and weeks:)

Trust me it's way less serious than you think...we are talking about something that in the 98% of the times (as you have nodules not bigger than 5mm) it's nothing...

It is not me saying that but the statistics!!!

i forgot to reply to your question about what to expect from your appointment on Monday...
Basically i would expect your doctor saying that they will monitor the nodules over a period of 2/3 years...First couples of follows up every 6 months and then 1 every year.
They won't send you for any PET as pet only works for stuff not smaller than 8mm/1cm...so there's no need of a PET...
They cannot do a biopsy either as they are so small than it would be impossible to reach them and get a proper sample to biopsy.
This is a wait and watch situation...
Thank you for your replies. Googling is what made me so upset. You know the "The most common cause of multiple nodules is metastatic cancer". I suffer from severe anxiety so this is a very difficult situation for me. It seems from this post that a very small percentage of the cases have resulted in something serious. And of those, most were either bigger or had a previous cancer history. I hate google. Seriously. All i can think is OMG i have metastatic breast cancer and its in my lungs. I know how irrational it is. But the anxiety is overwhelming at times. These posts are very reassuring. And its nice to see a place where people actually come back and update. Most posts on google never get updated when people get good news. I have read a lot of the posts here. How is your wife doing Jerry? Did i mention I hate waiting? :P
Well I wasn't going to post, but ..

My wife had a CT in early April.   The goal was to find a stable nodule population.  She had been on a "softer" (I can't remember the name of all the medication - I can look up) Chemo-like therapy for about 6 months following a CT that showed the nodules were in retreat after several months of Chemo - the strong makes one sick for a couple of days and lose your hair stuff.  

The CT scan was what I'll call "it could have been worse, a few of the nodules are active still (no explosion of activity) and one is in the centimeter range (large).  So last Friday she went back on Chemo, to day the nausea is better.  Her Oncologist said they watch progress with blood tests, no biopsy was needed to confirm.

Not all good news, but the fight continues and we'll do it.

The conclusion for those with lung nodules, try not to worry, and, franrap, don't hate waiting... all minutes that pass are minutes of your life.  Fill those minutes with good, kind, and fun thought and activities.
Well I wasn't going to post, but ..

I understand what you're going through, franrap. My wife died about 17 months ago from pancreatic cancer....I have an 11 year old son who is with me full time...and I'm watching a 5mm solitary pulmonary nodule. It's on the periphery of my right middle lobe and I swear I feel like I can feel it growing. That's what it seems like.

I, too, am a serial worrier. The nodule is on my mind every waking minute. My lungs are poisoned from almost 30 years of smoking. My nodule was found on a CT scan 11/21/2013 and I can't get a followup scan until May 21st when it will be 6 months. It's driving me absolutely crazy. I'm trying to figure out how I will deal with it if it has grown and I need to undergo major surgery to remove it and maybe chemo and who knows what else down the line.

My pulmonary doc said the nodule on the film "looks very benign" and isn't very concerned. He has told me not to worry, but that doesn't help.

Antoit---I do keep the voicemail on my phone when the pulmonary doc left a message telling me it's nothing to worry about and I do listen to it from time to time. It helps me for a few minutes, then back to worrying!

I just want to get my 6 month scan, see that it is stable and go on with my life but I feel almost immobilized by that damn nodule. I don't what is going to happen.

Franrap, know that you're not alone and you're not crazy. I think you will be fine, but I understand how words do not soothe you.

Let's just hang in there and try and take it one day at a time.

Patrick
Pulmonologist appt today. Praying for some reassuring news on the scans. Im guessing they look at it a little more detailed than the ER doc/radiologist. Hoping to hear they "look benign". Will update.
Thank you everyone for sharing on this board.

I am one of you and i am terrified.

My stats:  im 44 years old.   I was diagnosed with kidney cancer 2 years ago.  It was low grade and i had 1/2 of my kidney removed.  With my stats the chance of recurrence or spreading is very very low.    During a regular follow up last week they detected a 5mm nodule in my lung.  My doctor told me that its very likely benign and not to worry.  

Unfortunately ive spent a lot of time reading everything i can find on google (which, so many people point out on this thread,  is a bad idea) and im terrified.  I have an amazing wife and a wonderful 15month old son.  

Im trying hard..harder than ive ever tried...to remain optimistic.  It is a challenge..especially facing the fact that the best case scenario involves 2 years of vigilant observation.    Having each of you share your stories and the stories of your loved ones helps more than i can say.  

I wish each of you the best.   Thanks for your stories.  Lets keep each other updated.

Peace & Good Health,

Jeff  
Ok well. He sort of totally blew it off. Said we have moles and freckles on the outside and cat scans make us able to see them on the inside. Since I'm not a smoker, I follow up with another ct in a year. But he doesn't think it's anything bad and I shouldn't even think about it anymore. I asked a few questions about them Being calcified or not and he said they were so small it didn't even matter. So. I guess I won't worry about it (yeah right). He said i don't need to follow up until A YEAR! Shrugs.I will probably go back in 6 months since that seems to be the consensus on here. But he did say, they're very common and in young non smokers I have nothing to worry about. Im still worried they are mets from something else but i have no symptoms of a primary tumor so i have to force it out of my mind and move on.
I did follow up in six months although I've read studies that show a year is fine in many cases.  I also have health anxiety and the waiting was very difficult.  I had either one or two 5 mm nodules and multiple bilateral smaller nodules.  Also a mildly enlarged medastinal node.   Needless to say, telling me not to worry wasn't going to cut it.  

I hope my story gives some encouragement - my nodules completely resolved and were not visible on my six-month scan.  This whole thing must have been from an infection.  (I had been ill previously but felt fine at the time of the first CT).  

Good luck - reading here and the advice and encouragement of others helped me much more than my GP!
Here is a good news story. I had a friend with breast cancer. A7mm lung nodule was discovered during her chemo. She had multiple CT scans for 2 years. nodule did not change. 12 years later she is fine and nodule still there. I understand your anxiety. I have terrible health anxiety myself. But, try not to worry and keep repeating what your doc told you!
Jeff, my husband had surgery for low grade bladder cancer Dec. 2012.  Last april 2013 they  discovered 2 lung nodules 2 mm and 3 mm viewed by accident on an abdominal CT. Follow up chest CT scan was done in February 2014, so 10 months later, and nodules are still there, but stable. Of course  i was worried about cancer spreading,  but radiologist told us it would be highly unlikely with low grade bladder cancer. Hubby is repeating scan in 6 months, which is August. I feel your same anxiety, but i think you are fine. The radiologist  told us 50% of people have some lung anomaly and these CT scans are so sensitive they pick up everything. My advice is do NOT google. Just read this group. There is lots of encouraging news here and great support.
I totally feel your anxiety. Hang in there. We are all in the same boat, but i truly believe you are ok. I'm very sorry about your wife. That is such a loss/ trauma and I am sure it makes your anxiety even worse :(  we have to stay positive.
Thanks so much to Hudson for your postings and to Sharon16 and Franrap for sharing your stories.   Its clear to me that this board is a strong, safe environment for us to share our concerns and situations and wish each other well and all the best.

Peace & Healthy wishes for all

Jeff
This is the best thread on lung nodules ever!
I dare you fonding another one with beautiful people like Sharon that even if her nodules resolved ( so she could basically forget about them and go on with her life) still cares to pop in and cheer us up with her story!!!

Bless you!!!! :)
That's right, everyone in here is good people. It's nice to have others who can relate.
In the name of Allah,most Gracious,most merciful

Good Morning Everybody

New to the group. 6 months back I have been selected for a job in middle east, so a complete medical exam has been done in my home country which was very much good and Fit.Once I landed here I was again subjected to go medical check ups of this country to obtain Resident Permit.
At the medical check up  they initially told on 23-3-2014, my chest X-ray was abnormal and again a plain chest x-ray taken in different angles and issued a report saying  ---  

Peripherally located right mid zonal opacity measures 6mm for evaluation.
on 30-3-2014 they did a PPD test and givena report of 10 mm induration and  blood test revealed Anti - HIV negative.
on 14-4-2014 , I have been asked to go to T.B Clinic for  further evaluation there they have took around 30-40 ml blood  sample for further evaluation.

I am a 33 yr old male and I am freaking out. Im scared I might have pneumonia or tuberculosis infection somewhere else. I dont have habit of smoking and drinking, I have severe health anxiety and this is just  worrying me and my family a lot.  I have 2 small children and I  have just joined in this new job, unless my medical is clear i wont be given the Resident permit and  if medical fails it may lead to go back  to my country for a new job search.

I have an appt with a T.B Clinic doctor on 21- 4-14 monday.

Any idea of what to expect? Will they do any other test further??

I would like to share all the information regarding me for a better cure for the past 20 days i have been Googling out and luckily I have found a few good people sharing their views on this forum, I very much relaxed to see the views, suggestions and advices. Hope .. u all kind and merciful persons can suggest me further....

Thanking u for ur Patience and time u spent in reading all this stuff
wish a wholesome and fine healthy family..

Regards ---- smvali
Hi Smvali, so sorry your going through all of this.  First of all it sounds like you haven't been diagnosed yet.  If it is TB - TB is curable.  Update us when you go to the doctor tomorrow.  Hopefully it is nothing serious and you will be cured with medication.  Will be looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow.  Are you in the United States at this time?  Best wishes, Julie.
Hello Smvali,

It is very good practice to go for a TB test when something shows up on chest CT scans... Actually every newbie on here should go for it.
There are 3 different kind of tests to rule out TB. The most common one is a puncture on your forearm which takes 3 days for te result... They will probably start with that one and if suspicious they will perform the others to make sure. Every test they might take it will show even if you ha it in te past. Remember that you might have had it without even have noticed it... So do not panic if now you don't remember having had any symptoms.
As Julie said TB is curable... So in case you test positive you have little to worry... Just the hassle of a long antibiotic treatment.
It is not clear to me if you underwent any CT scan already...
Keep us posted and don't panic!!!

Anto

Thanks a lot Jullie madam,
           ur supporting words are really a hope if I would be found with TB, right now I am going to the doctor in another 1 hr  I will meet him,  I havent been treated for this kind of disease. I am not in United States at present I am in DOHA, Qartar.

Regards Madam...

SMVALI

Dear Anto ,
                       Thanking ur reply and u really keep watch on this forum to back up our energy levels. I havent undergone any CT scan but during my second x-ray taking they have taken almost 8 different positions of my body to reveal that nodule size.Right now I am going to meet the doctor.

I will update my status once I am back...

Regards
SMVALI
Hi, after having a ct scan for something else they found numerous nodules on my lungs.  I was told to do a follow up if I had ever been a smoker, but doing more ct scans is not very good either.  With that said they also advised me that these nodules were most likely from having pneumonia in the past it causes scar tissue to develop which are referred to as nodules.  I will say a prayer for you.  Not sure when this was written so help it helps.
So I had a neck scan for my throat and they found an 8mm irregular nodule in my upper left lobe.  I'll be getting a full chest scan tomorrow morning.  Also, found a tiny nodule on my thyroid.  This is an absolute rollercoaster.  I'm scared to death.  My wife is pregnant.  I'm 31, non-smoker.

Thanks to all on this board.
Hi Brad and welcome.  My nodule was irregular too.  My first scan was around April or May 2009.  I actually had various nodules, but one 7 mm nodule grew and was irregular (11 mm).  I did have the nodule biopsied to make sure it was not malignant, it wasn't (sigh of relief).  Your 31 - never smoked, you probably are fine!  When are you going to have the CT Scan done?  Also congrats on the bundle of joy you and your wife are expecting.  Take care, Julie (and keep us updated)
Hi Julie - Thanks.  I'll have a full CT scan tomorrow morning.  The first was only of my neck/throat, which caught the nodule referenced above. I'm hoping the CT shows no other nodules.  I also have an ultrasound next Wed for the "tiny" nodule found on my thyroid.  As I'm a bit of a headcase with all this, I'll certainly try to analyze my pictures tomorrow after the scan.  I forgot to mention in my original post that I had a neck scan 18 months ago as well with no mention of nodules.  I'll be giving that CD to the radiologist tomorrow.  I will keep everyone posted.  
Glad to hear that your CT Scan is scheduled for tomorrow.  After this scan they will probably tell you to wait another 4 to 6 months for a second CT Scan.  Normal Protocol. As for your thyroid - they will probably want to keep an eye on the nodule.  If the nodule gets to large on the thyroid there can be a problem with swallowing at which time they could aspirate it. I have a friend who had a nodule grow in her thyroid and they just aspirated it.  Not painful at all.   Did you also have a blood test to test your thyroid?  Your doctor should get a report regarding your CT Scan by Tuesday.  Let me know how it goes, and please do not worry, all will be OK.  Have a great weekend!
Hi Julie,

I just got the call from the doc.  What was considered an 8mm nodule during my throat/neck scan is now called a 5x5mm partially solid nodule.  Not sure if partially solid is good or bad.  He said no other nodules were found.  They did find a cyst on my kidney so I'll need to get that looked at.  I'll also follow up with a pulmonary doctor regarding the nodule (been dealing w/ ENT). I do feel better than I did for the past few days.  Thanks again.
5mm either in diameter for a circle or side of a square is "small" - the fact there are no other nodules makes it very likely to be benign from what I have read and know.  

I will guess you will have to get another CT scan in 3 to 6 months and those results will be compared to what you have today. If no growth and nothing new the nodule is benign.  I'd guess no needle biopsy would be required in the case of stability.

If I didn't already say so, the odds are greatly in your favor that the nodule id benign..  Here I assume you have not had cancer anywhere in your body in your history.
Hello Brad:  Glad your CT Scan was OK.  5x5 is very tiny.  I do not think partially solid is a problem.  I had a cyst on my kidney too, but no doctor asked me to be followed up for the cyst.  Nice to hear that you are feeling better now.  Keep us updated and enjoy your week.  Julie...
Jerry and Julie,

Thanks for the messages.  I'll see a pulmonary on the 14th, I'm guessing he'll want another scan in the future.  Hoping it goes away or is no issue. Now following up on cyst on thyroid (had ultrasound today) and kidney (TBD).

Hi Jerry
I'm 31 male,smoked for 5 yrs. and stopped for 2yrs. now because of the pain I noticed while smoking. I treated a chest pain in 2012 for about 1 month each which recurred in 2013 with anti-inflammatories. Since this yr. I've this similar pain in my left chest. The pain gets worse with physical activity,no cough. The x-rays proves normal but I insisted on CT scan which revealed a 5.6 mm calcified nodule on the S4 segment of my right lung. The lymph nones are normal. The doctor said is nothing but am just afraid, am not relaxed. What do you think?

Mame
I do not think the pain is related to the nodule... That simply cannot be. Lungs unfortunately do not have the "ability" to send pain signals to the brain. Large masses in lungs can cause pain though. That's because when they get large enough they start pushing surrounding nervers/muscles/organs which have that ability... Hence the pain. A 5mm nodule is not a mass... Its a tiny spot!
I said "unfortunately" because if lungs were able to send pain signals many lung cancers would be discovered at early stage when they might still be treatable.  Plus a calcification is most of the times related to the nodule being benign.... So very good news indeed!!! I am not doctor (just a medical science junkie lol :) but for what I read your situation sounds not scary at all!!! do the follow ups your doctor suggests ...I'm sure you'll be fine!  
hi Julie... I havent been on here in awhile... been working to much... those 3 were found on an abdominal CAT scan... I havent had a full chest scan... thinking I need to. So I dont know if that is all I have... I hope so. It is so expensive to go get a scan. They want 500.00 gosh... seems like so much and hard to get together.  But, I need to do it. A bit scared if there are 3 on my lower... kinda concerned what is in the full chest scan. I am a house painter and spray paint some times... just sayin....insurance wants you to spend like 12,000.00 before they pay anything out and wont let me change my plan with these nodules... uggggggg.... can you just go to the hospital and ask for a full chest scan? Its like half the price of an image center...
Hello Cylas. Sounds like you have a very high deductible!  Yes, I would imagine you could get a scan at the hospital and get the scan but then you are going to be billed for the CT Scan.  $500. doesn't seem very pricey since I think the CT Scan usually costs much more.  You should call around and see how much you would have to pay for the CT Scan without insurance.  Why don't you ask the facility if they can accept monthly payments on the $500.00 - may $50. or $100. a month until it is paid in full.  Sounds like you have multiple nodules (most multiple nodules are benign).  Have you quit smoking yet?  Have a great weekend, Julie.
Hello everyone,
I am due for my scan the day after tomorrow.
No matter how much you know about lung nodules the "scanxiety" is always there...No matter how much i try to keep myself busy I cannot help myself to calm down....and lots of "what if" cross my mind every minute!!!

I will probably get my results by Friday morning...
please send positive thoughts and (if religious) prayers next Wednesday!

I'll keep you updated.

Anto
I will keep you in my prayers.  Another scan already, where does the time go.  I am sure you are going to be OK.  God bless you. Julie
Antoit please post and let us know how your scan went. Thinking of everyone today and sending prayers.
So, today I had my 6 month scan for my nodule. I didn't have a 3 month scan, as insurance would not pay for it. Only had an x-ray at 4 months, which was normal.

So....I'm just waiting for the phone call and feeling very down/anxious. I should get the results by Friday, even earlier if like last time.

I hate these scans. I almost decided not to do it, and just put it off for awhile. But a few people I know made me go do it. I may not even answer the phone when the doc calls.

I hope you are all doing well.

Patrick
Patrick, i feel your anxiety. I get that way too with my husband and his micronodules. Today, hubby saw his urologist/ oncologist for bladder checkup, which went well. All clear. We showed him the lung CT report from Feb. Showing 2 micronodules...one 2 mm and one 3 mm. His comment was " i'm not worried. Rescan in August as planned and if no change, it doesn't need to be followed further".  I was shocked he was this casual be ause this doc is a real stickler on tests.  He said these nodules are so common. My point is, i know you are scared, but try to think positive.  I get myself so worked up sometimes i feel sick. Please let us know when your doc calls and hang in there!
I know how nerve racking these tests are, but what are the alternatives?  This is the protocol, we get checked out for two years because they are unable to distingush between benign and malignant growths on the CT Scans!  You would think that in 2014 they would be able to test us only once and give us the right answer!  Have a great weekend, Julie
Haven't heard from you in about 10 days, is everything ok with you?  Hoping your are doing well. Hugs, Julie
Hello everyone,
sorry for this late update….my doctor has been in Switzerland for the whole week and i just managed to see him.
Results show again NO CHANGES…actually there is a little change…If you recall i had 2 nodules ( one of 5mm and the other one of 7mm)…The 7mm one is now 6mm. YAY! :)
The doctor went through all my past scans and he insists that what he sees has nothing to do with cancer but to him my lungs look like lungs affected by TB.
Even if i had many tests to check for TB he wants me to go for it once more…
This week has been endless and i tried to stay away from the internet in order to do not get more anxious…
Next scan in 1 year time…

Thanks Julie and Hudsongirl for your thoughts…i really appreciated it!!!

wish you all a nice Sunday and stable nodules!!! LOL :)
No scan for a whole year! Great news and your nodule shrunk too!  Your doing great.  Keep in touch, and thanks for sharing the very good news.  Happy weekend to you too!  Hugs, Julie
Awesome news! Thanks for sharing:)

what do you guys make of my hubbys doc saying he is not worried about his 2 micronodules? He is a well respected oncologist at Northwestern.  He told him to keep to the schedule for a scan in August and if no change no need to follow further. Hmm. I think his GP will want one more scan to complete the 2 year follow up. That is protocol, right?
Patrick, did you hear from your doc ? Sending good thoughts to you.
Thanks Hudsongrl,

For how long lung nodules have to be followed up depends of their sizes.
A 2 year follow up is required for nodules of 5mm (or bigger).
For what i have read the one applying the protocol is actually the oncologist that suggests just another scan. On the other hand your GP is applying a "generic" protocol as in most cases lung nodules are followed up for a couple of years. A nodule of 5mm has an extremely little chance to be cancerous (1 to 2 %?)...let alone a 3mm one...you make the calculations :)  Hope this helped!

Keep smiling,

Anto

Hi Patrick,

Please update us on your situation...I know how it is to wait for the results and how hard it gets when that moment gets closer....I really empathize with you!
Hope you got good news!

positive vibes to you!
Thanks Antoit. I guess we will decide these things after next scan in August. One scan at a time...ugh.
I am new to this board and want to say thank you for all of your many stories and follow-up posts - your encouragement and thoughtfulness for one another - SO calming!!  You have all helped me IMMENSELY! THANK YOU!!!!  You all are WONDERFUL  - the way you all check in with each other on this board!

Just had a chest x-ray show a 12mm dense nodule in the middle lung field and I am going for a CT scan tomorrow night.  

In 1997 I came down with walking pneumonia (right lung collapsed), while at school in Israel, and was left with 2  - 3 mm scar tissue in my right lung and an on-going problem with mucous being trapped in my Aveoli and popping up in my throat frequently.  A doctor at Mayo checked me out - did a Lavash (lung rinse) and came up with nothing. He informed me that I did have a problem, but that even Mayo Clinic does not have all the answers...I used to run cross country in college and would run 3 miles here and there, but I started becoming a running maniac because it kept my lungs clear!  I ran 3 marathons, numerous 1/2 marathons, running approx. 50 miles a week until 2002 when I was pregnant with my first child.  I now exercise frequently, but backed off of running after 2 surgeries on my big toes (because I wore out the cartilage).  Still have mucous coming up all the time though since 1997.

SO, in 2006 there were no nodules and this one has showed up and from your posts on this site - I am wondering if it is from an on-going (17 year) unidentified lung infection.  Has anyone been diagnosed as an infection being the cause of their nodules??  Can non-cancerous nodules go away on their own?  

This site has been a great encouragement and I am now hoping that it is from an infection and maybe they can give me something to cure the infection and solve BOTH problems!!

Hi and welcome, wish you didn't have to be here because of nodules.  In 2006 you say there were no nodules.  Did you get a chest X-Ray in 2006 or a CT Scan?  My nodules did not show up in a chest X-Ray prior to having the CT Scan because they were too small to show up on the X-Ray, so that could be why the nodule did not show up in 2006.  And yes, nodules can be caused by infection.  Unfortunately they cannot usually distinguish what the nodule is so that is why they check you for approx 2 years after the nodule is discovered.  You'll have a better idea about the nodule when they perform the CT Scan.  Non-cancerous nodules are really not a concern even if they do not go away.  Please let us know how your CT Scan goes.  Best wishes, Julie
Thank you for your response!  They did not show up on a 2006 x-ray.   I had assumed that I did not have any nodules back then, since it did not appear on the x-ray. Thank you for your insight.

Does anyone know, once you get one are you prone to get more?  I am getting ahead of myself...first, find out what the CT Scan shows...

I will keep you posted!

Cyndi

As I am reading the posts, it seems 12 mm (a little over a centimeter) is a rather large nodule...is this true?

Cyndi
I have multiple nodules.  They can be nothing more than scar tissue.  My lagest nodule was originally 7 mm in 2009 and had stayed stable for a year.  On my 2 year CT Scan my nodule grew to 11 mm, which was large enough to biopsy.  I did have a needle biopsy in 2011 whch was negative for malignancy.  I also had a PET scan before the biopsy in 2011 which had showed some activity - (0.8 SUV) that is why I had the needle biopsy. Your probably OK, but once they find a nodule they usually follow up for 2 years.  Let us know what your CT Scan report shows when you get a copy of it.  Hugs, Julie
Sorry about the late update. So, the 6 month scan said no change! It also said there was a 1-2 mm nodule in my lower lobe which, on retrospect, was there 6 months ago and is also stable.

Whew!!

I know I'm not out of the woods just yet but now I am going to do some hard work at reversing any possible dysplasia in my lungs.

I must say, it is amazing how sick a person can make themselves feel upon hearing they have a lung nodule. I was convinced mine had spread into my lymph nodes, into my upper lobe, my liver, my chest wall, my ribs, and on and on....I had pain in all areas of my right side. Funny how it really doesn't hurt at all now!

Love you all. Peace and good tidings from NJ, USA.

Patrick
Thank you for your return post.  Did the needle biopsy hurt?  I reread my 2006 report and it actually was a CT scan.  It said my right lung had two 3 mm nodules that they believed were scar tissue from the pneumonia in 1997, but my left lung was clear!

Just had the CT Scan - nice guy and it was quick - he said most nodules are benign, but he did say that 12 mm was on the large side from what he has seen...I told him that maybe the x-ray overshot the size and maybe it was smaller (any chance of that?)

I was fine until a few moments ago - googled (shouldn't have) and read an article on nodules which said larger nodules have a greater chance of being cancerous...It had two columns  - chances are "cancerous" in one column and "non-cancerous" in the other...in the cancer column was 1) Over 30 (yes) 2) large nodule, over 6 mm (twice the size) etc etc.

Came to this site to calm down.  They should have the CT results in two days.

Good night!

Cyndi

Cindi - your working yourself up!  I did the same thing though for 2 years, I was sure I had cancer!  When I had the needle biopsy done, I had made plans for what type of treatment I was going to have, etc... When I called the radiation oncologist the next day and he told me it was benign I almost fell off my chair, I couldn't believe it.  As for the biopsy - they gave me conscious sedation, and I did not feel a thing.  I felt like I was fully awake but had no pain.  They biopsied the 11 mm nodule in 2 places, felt nothing - but my lung collapsed and they had to insert something for a few days - but it did not hurt at all.  

Also, I did too much reading on the internet - and I became anxious, thought the worse, it was horrible what I put myself through.  I hope that the doctor will be able to reassure you about your CT Scan.  Do you have an appointment to see the doctor?  

Patrick - Your CT Scan sounds good!  Glad to hear that are no changes.  But I know exactly how you've been feeling, been there done that!  You have a CT Scan scheduled at 1 year?  Thanks for sharing the great news.

Best wishes to everyone.  Julie......

Great news Patrick. Thanks for letting us know!
Once again, thank you for your encouragement.  Your story has really helped me!  I will google no more!  This is a great site for encouraging information and support - no need to go elsewhere right now!

I am back to positive thinking and relying on my faith and trust in my LORD to take care of this, and me!

I do not have an appointment scheduled with the doctor who ordered the x-ray - she said she would call me with the results.  I do have an appointment in August with my lung specialist in Chicago which I set up before all this came about (hadn't checked my lungs since 2006 and have a lot of mucous going on so I thought I would go in to see him).  He is hard to get an appointment with so I will bring all this to him when I go to see him and see what his opinion is...

Right now the next move is a win-win.  Either they don't see anything remarkable and they tell me to come back in 6 months for another scan or they choose to do a biopsy and then we see what is really going on and take care of it if it is anything!!

The CT tech said that most of his CTs are now for lung nodules!  He said that they are SO common now and they really rarely grow.  I found this interesting...

Peace to everyone on this site!  Enjoy THIS day!

Cyndi

Excellent Patrick!!!
Thanks for coming back to us with updates...

You know in march, as my scan date was getting closer, I started feeling a weird shoulder pain? I knew that if the scan was stable it would have disappeared the same day... And guess what as I came back from the doctor it magically went away!

If I'm not wrong this was your first follow up! The first one is the most scary one probably... It gets better with time... Furter follows up, if needed, are way less scary...still scary ( feeling scared is part of us human beings) but I'm sure you'll go through it with a complete different approach and attitude!

Enjoy the good news,

Hi Cyndi,

There are many causes for lung nodules...
2006 seems yesterday but still it's nearly 8 years ago. The scan you had at that time surely shows you didn't have that 12mm nodule but I wouldn't take it in consideration. Everyone on this board if was scanned 8 years ago probably would have had scans with no nodules...
Mine were found by accident... Probably there's been a day where my 7mm nodule, if scanned, was a 2mm nodule... Actually I'm sure it's like that.. Nodules do not appear straight away in the size we discover them.

A 12mm nodule is still a nodule and certainly not a mass (which are at least 3cm)... Masses are usually more concerning. The size of your nodule still sounds to me in the 'safe' range. Granulomas (a benign condition) can generate lung masses even of 4cm...and still be benign.

Did you get to know a visual description of this nodule? Or the report states just "12mm nodule" and that's it?

Don't google!!!

Anto

Where is everybody? I checked in looking for some good news. Hope everyone is well!
hey Hudsongirl...
no news is good news right? :)

hope everyone is well too...

A.
My husband had an operation 7 weeks ago to remove a kidney and a tumour. Today we went for the follow up appointment and we're told that the op went well, but the tumour was a "stage one" cancer. The consultant then told us that a CT scan would be arranged in 3 months time to check on the "nodules" in his chest which were apparently found in 2011 when he had a CT scan. (They thought he had bowel cancer at the time). We were shocked to be told this news as we had hoped to be given the "all clear" today. We don't understand why nothing has been said or done about theses "nodules" before now! During the op the surgeon noticed abnormality of the liver and suggested my husband had cirrhosis. He had an ultrasound scan and this week his GP said there was no need to worry and no further action was needed. We were so relieved about that. But now we are feeling so down again and worried. Normally we are both fit and active 70 year olds. We cycle and walk and like to get out and about in our motorhome.
Hello, the only information I can give you is that even people with diagnosed lung cancer have lung nodules not related to the disease.
If the nodules were present already in 2011 and found stable after 3years I would not be concerned much about them. The usual wait and watch time is 2 years... If 3 years have passed it seems highly unlikely that these nodules are related to any form of cancer as there's no literature about cancerous nodules being stable for more than 2 years...
I am no doctor, just a medial science junkie ;) you can ask your oncologist and see if he confirms what I am telling you.

Anto
Thank you for your comments. The main reason I am worried is that until yesterday we were not aware that these nodules existed. There has been no scans or checks of any kind during the past 3 years. The CT scan t.hat showed the nodules was for the kidneys. Once a problem was detected with the kidney, it seems to me that the chest nodules were put on hold.
As a fellow 70s couple "we" can report that lung nodules that are cancerous are very active, changes can be seen between CT scans only a few months apart. I believe lung nodules are rather common, even in the younger folks, but most are not malignant.... do not require any treatment.  Seems you doctors low key approach suggest that is your case.  As them for specific advice, I would.  

Actively growing lung nodules may be tested using a needle biopsy - an same day (out-patient) test in our experience.
Hi there my husband has 2 micronodules 2 mm and 3 mm stable so far, that we have been watching for 15 months.  Next scan in 6 weeks. If your husband had lung nodules for 3 years and they end up being stable on this next scan i would not worry. As others have said cancerous nodules change in that amount of time. Lots of people have benign nodules. Glad the liver ultrasound went well. I was once told my liver looked " odd" during removal of sn ovary and went thru a zillion tests to rule out liver issues. That was 8 years ago...nothing was found and I am still here. But, it scared me to death. I am not much of a drinker and never have bern , so i couldn't figure out why my liver looked odd. I have since learned livers ....even normal  ones can look odd. Who knew?
Hubby going for  repeat CT scan of a 2mm  and 3 mm nodules.  I am freaking out tonite as usual. It has been 18 months since these were first found. Praying for stability. Like last time. Anyone out there to talk me down?
Don't worry Hudsongrl!!! as i recall they were already stable after nearly a year...plus they are very very tiny!!! All the odds are in your favour!
Let us know how it goes!!!

A.
I agree with antoit, and reply just to add positive emphasis.

Anything smaller than 2mm is likely not even noted.
Report said the 2 mm one is now a calcified granuloma and stable. The 3 mm one hasn't changed and is marked stable as well.  They said  no more follow ups needed...finally. I swear we aged10 years these last 18 months. Thanks everyone for your support!
YAY!! this calls for celebration!!!! Enjoy the news! :)
How is everyone else doing? It's been so quiet here?
Viewing 401-590 comments: