Lung Nodules?
I had 10 noncalcified pulmonary nodules from 3-7mm show on a CT scan for something unrelated in Nov 08 when these were found. Since, CT scans revealed 2 more nodules in June 09 and now a whopping 15 nodules 3-7mm in size on my recent scan a week ago. Anyone have a take on what could be causing these? I am 32, non-smoker as of 6-09 and smoked for 23 yrs, since I was 9. the 3 newest nodules have come after I quit smoking. Drs tell me not to worry, yet cannot tell me the cause of these nodules or even what they are......Any suggestions? Im going crazy wondering.....

Thanks in advance!
Nicole I am no doctor - but I have done lots of research on Nodules - from what I have read - most lung nodules are benign.  I would not worry - sounds like you doctor is right - beneign lung nodules - I also have many scattered nodules - and if these were going to kills me - I should be dead by now..........mine are also up to 7mm .... small nodules are almost always benign..........stop worrying and enjoy your life.  Life is precious - we need to enjoy what we have ........good tidings - You are fine.........e-mail a response ......please. Julie
ps my nodules are exactly the same size as yours  3- 7 mm.

How are you doing? Julie :)
Im okay...they just keep multiplying, i have 6 ribs that have been broken since 2004, (nonunions, refuse to heal) and my clavicle is plated and the bone just rebroke as well. I can bend down to tie my shoes and break a rib. Its just depressing I suppose. I hurt every day and its increasing....I feel like i am going downhill....,these nodules just put the icing on the cake for me. Keep me up to date w/urs and Il do the same. I wouldnt worry if I hadnt smoked for 23 yrs (started at 9), but I did quit this june. i am, however, hopeful despite my depressing writing...writing is a release for me. Thanks for ur responses...:)
I understand completely where you are coming from. I am a melanoma patient (in remission 4 1/2 years now - first diagnosed at 22 years old). A couple of years ago they found lung nodules during a CT to check for a hernia. I have several of them mostly on the r lung I believe and mine actually ranges from small enough not to be sure if dangerous or not by pet scan to 9mm. They believe that it is nothing just normal nodules that many people get from a common type of bacteria in soil in some places, bird poo in others, etc. However I still have to continue with checks for all. Just had another skin biopsy three weeks ago and came back pre-cancerous (lentiginous junctional nevi with architechural disorder, moderate cytologic atypia (dysplastic nevus) according to shave biopsy. I hope that our Doctors are correct and these are nothing but I know how it feels to have to worry about it too. Good luck to both who post on here and God Bless!!!
Glad your nodules are ok - yes there a many many reasons other than cancer for nodules.  And I had read somewhere if you took a bus load of people and did a CT Scan on them - lots would have lung nodules!  But it doesn't ease the fear - I had a repeat CT yesterday - going to the doctor tomorrow for the results........... I haven't slept well since these darn nodules were discovered during a CT for other reasons.

I hope all of us are ok and just have benign nodules........Hugs, Julie........
Nicole so sorry to hear about your ribs - what is causing this to happen to you?  I broke a rib a long time ago and it is very painful.  What has the doctor told you about it?

Also are you scheduled for any more CT Scans to check your nodules - what are probably benign.?

Hope all is well with you.

Take care
Julie in So CALIF
Just came back from the doctor - got a copy of my CT Scan NO CHANGES since my last Scan in May 2009.  That is such great news for me - takes a load off me.  I have been very anxious for the past several months.

How are you doing?  

Hugs, Julie
Hey guys! Sorry for the delay- My next scan is in feb-my ribs broke the first time when I was ejected from a hardtop Jeep wrangler in 2004-and yes-wearing a seatbelt! The DRs are convinced I have either unrelated autoimmune dis or some type of cancer bc the same ribs break for no reason, if they broke in same places, it would make sense. My body also doesnt hold VItD, therefore not consuming calcium like it should. My vitD level was 17 then after taking supplements, it dropped to 16...strange, i know! thanks for all the comments and ill keep in better touch-its just that for so long noone responded! :)

Good Luck to all!
don't smoke - and yes nodules are usually no big deal especially if they are very tiny.  And yes/me like you - I have had panic/anxiety attacks since I was approximatley 25 years old.......probably the start of emphysema - told it was anxiety attacks - had a stress test - heart is in good shape - but heart doctors didn't tell me why I was out of breath on the tread mill - or even mention that I should see a respiratory specialist.

Oh well - sometimes we have to be our down doctors.

Please give up the cigarette.        Hugs
Have you found out anything new about your nodules?  I found out this last week that I have 11 nodules (noncalcified)  from what I understand I wish they were calcified.  It was recommended to me that I have another CT in 2 months to see if any new nodules appear or if the ones that are there grow.

At this point they are too small to do a biopsy on, but they have found a large mass in my neck.  I guess I will take it one step at a time and have the mass removed, they will know if it is cancerous or not and then I will have a better idea of whether or not the nodules in my lungs are metastatic.  I actually think to sit and wait the 2 months to have a new scan is just gutt rentching, the anxiety!

When do they plan to do another scan on you?  If I understand  correctly they do the second scan 2-3 months after the first and then double that time to a 6 month and then 12 month and then a 2 year.  This is if all is clear, and nothing to worry about.  

I haven't seen a post on here from you for awhile so if you have any new information I would be interested.  I hope you are doing well, and it is none of my business but I hope you are able to stop the smoking.  I know it must be hard.  
Good luck to you.
Tabitha
HI! Im ok for now, next scan in Feb, I will DEFINATELY update :)
Last scan showed more nodules and Drs dont seem too worried but I am. Just this week, Its been impossible for me to get out of bed some days. I have some bone issues as well and sometimes these lil nodules worry me on days like these. How are YOU? Thanks for the reply, by the way!

oh yeah-quit smoking June 23rd :D
my doctor refered me for an ultrasound to rule out some abdominal problem & incidentally they found 2 (tiny) non-calcified nodules (2&6mm). He ordered a CT scan, which I took on Monday & they did see those nodules, but they also identified a 13mm non-calcified, groundglass nodule!!! Because of this, my provider told me today that he has scheduled me for a PET Scan. I will get the date/time tomorrow...I am so nervous! I used to smoke (less then a pack a day), but quit when I got pregnant (in 81), my husband continued to smoke for years afterward (I finally nagged him into quiting about 7 yrs ago). So, here I am freaking out because not only do I have those nodules, I also have incredible off/on bone pain (arthritis?), headaches (everybody does?), off/on low grade fever (cold I can't shake?), total exhaustion (working too much?), I also have this  off/on hacking cough (my asthma?) & off/on hoarseness to the point where I lose my voice for a bit, then it goes back to normal! So, I'm pretty much freakn out...
Just needed to vent! Life still goes on while I wait for the verdict...chores need to be done, work to be completed, bills need to be paid. I found out that just because my world is off balance right now, I mean totally out of whack it does not mean that the world as a whole stops!!!

Thanks for listening,
AB,
Please, vent away! I found out about my nodules back in June and still not a second passes without the fear worry and confusion. My next scan is in Feb (last one in Sept) and mine have to grow 3mm before they will PET or biopsy. So, if anyone understands the need to vent-its me. If it will help you, click on my homepage here and read some of my public journal....I think it may help you to read mine and start one of ur own as well...urs doesnt have to public, u pick the settings but I definately feel its been an asset to my own sanity. ;)

Please keep me updated on ur progress and findings as will I as well and dont hesitate to ask questions or share ur venting/anger/sadness/etc here.....I check my posts daily hoping someone w a similar situation can shed some light on my own situation but I hardly got any responses and most werent quite what I was looking for anyway until urs....Finally someone else who realizes we have the right to be fearful and feel overwhelmed as many do not feel this way and think Im overreacting w my emotions. Well, put them in our shoes and see  how they would feel, right?

:) I hope with all my heart the findings are harmless but regardless of what happens, ur feelings fears and emotions are not only justified, but normal allowed and acceptable. Dont  let anyone tell u otherwise.....

I hope u keep in touch...
Glad I'm not the only one that has anxiety about this.  My appt with a pulmonologist is Wed the 27th.  I was diagnosed with a 16mm non calcified nodule which was found in a CT Scan.  After reading up on this, I am assuming I will need a PET?  But my question to you, is do you have any pain?  Because as I starting to recall, I have had a dull ache for such a long time that I just took for granted thinking it was soreness, and just aches and pains...(I'm 56) I'm of average fit. I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis years ago, smoked socially back in the 80's only with drinks and I was a mild drinker. But I am feeling that dull ache stronger and constant.  Any clues?.. just wondering...since I'm fighting anxiety attacks until I see the specialist....  Thanks for hearing me out!!!
Well your 16 mm nodule is probably nothing but old scar tissue - but I agree with you the anxiety awaiting for the results is just terrible!!!  Most of these nodules are NOT cancerous........ but just the thought about the test is enough to cause a panic attack!  Don't understand what type of pain your having - be a bit more specific.  Where is your dull pain?  Yes - technically - you can have a PET scan when your nodule is 16 mm - any nodule over 9 mm is a candidate for a PET scan and the PET scan is probably the best test to tell your that your OK - but take a deep breath and don't worry - especially since your are now a non- smoker. Ask them for the results ASAP.... so you don't keep worrying! And please let me know what the pulmonologist tells you on Wednesday.  Hope all turns out great for you.  Keep me updated. Julie In So Calif. :)

Hi! Im actually awaiting my results of my scan from Fri. I will know of any progress/regression tom by lunch. That 16mm nodule is def something to be concerned with. I have no pain, but being on high dose pain meds since 2004, I may not really know if I do have pain since my rib/chest area always hurts from my nonunion ribs/transverse process that never/wont heal from my wreck back in 2004. Please keep me updated on ur results. I would def ask for the pet scan and possible biopsy. From what my DRs tell me, old scars calcify , hence the concern for NONcalcified nodules. Most calcified nodules are harmless, very few are cancerous but NONcalcified are to be concerned with. Also, having one nodule instead of many also raises some concern. Ill report back tom, and hope you fill me in w ur progress too......A good support system from those in similar situation sure goes a long way when everyone else tells you "not to worry"....they dont understand bc its not them. I DO understand, and we have every  right to be worried. I wish you ALL the luck in this world and will def say a prayer for you!!!! I was never a pray-er until i got my nodules...I mean I was, but not REALLY, lol....I guess its worth a shot, eh? ;) seriously tho....you will be in my thoughts and hope you keep in touch often! :)
I appreciate finding this thread.  My fiance was in the ER a few weeks ago with kidney stones and when they did a CT also found some nodules on his lungs which at the time the ER doc said were inflammatory in nature.  A week and a half later he was back in the ER due to problems with the kidney stent they put in after the stones were removed and another CT was done and the nodules were obviously still present, this time the ER dr said they were not inflammatory in nature.  Needless to say we are pretty freaked out.  He is 32 years old and has never smoked, he has ulcerative colitis and aside from his recent kidney stones has not had any other issues.  He has an appointment with a pulmonologist this coming Thursday and we have no idea what to expect.  The ER was very vague in terms of how many nodules there are and what sizes they are so we are hoping to get some answers on Thursday.  I will be keeping my fingers crossed for him as well as all of you.  Its a very scary thing to go through and its sometimes comforting to know you're not alone.
Wow, I can't believe there are so many of us just hanging out in limbo, waiting and waiting for answers! I had a scan in October 2009, they found 2 non-calcified nodules, was re-checked in early Feb, now there are 8, but the original two have not changed. Went to a pulmonologist last week, told me that even a .08mm could be bipsied, but he also told me that there was a 50% chance of lung collapse with those biopsies. So I will have another ct scan the end of April, get the results early May, and that seems like an eternity to wait that long. Some of you have mentioned 6mm 12mm nodules, but I am still trying to figure out how big a mm is? He also told me that they would show up on a PET scan even if they are not that big. I have like .06mm, .08mm, .05mm so can anyone tell me how that works? if the .08mm get's to be .10mm is that just still like a tenth of a 1mm???? Will check back regualarly to see how everyone is doing. V
Wow! I am so lucky I found this forum. I just found out yesterday that I have up to 8 nodules, from 'granulomas' to 8mm. One, I am pretty sure is my calcified TB that I had years ago (and didn't know I had), but the others are pretty worrisome. I was diagnosed in the ER as well, and I am waiting for my doctor to call me. He'll probably do that after I leave the office, of course.

The waiting is excrutiating. It's hard not to worry about this.
Hey - I just found this forum - and I too feel better knowing I am not the only one.  I was at the hospital getting a CT scan done for a different problem and they came across 2 nodules - 3mm and 5mm.  I had to wait 6 months to get them checked again (felt like an eternity), but received my results back on Monday - they found "several" (which the doc is guessing around 10 total) more and now she is sending me to a pulmonologist.  They cannot get me in until April 15th (OVER A MONTH AWAY!)  I am a mess.  I smoked for 6 1/2 years but quit almost the instant they found a nodule... so almost 6 months smoke free! I am so nervous and I feel the doctor and radiologist do not think twice about it and they make me feel stupid for worrying.  I am recently married and we want to start a family, but I feel I need to postpone our plans due to CT scans every couple months...  

I would love to see everyone's updates and I will update with what I find out after the pulmonologist!
I am 49.
I have had on going health problems this past 2 years. I have had a issue with back problems since my 20's. But in Oct 09 I was diaignose with what I was told is a ruptured disk.(lower spine) I had to have a series of eperdal injections. I improved at least 80%.

Now for the most part beyond commom colds and flu,ive been healthy. I started 3 years ago getting mild night sweats occasionly 1 or 2xs a month,if even that.  with no other menopausal symptoms.
After my last eperdoral injection (which is steriods) the night sweats became worse and during the day also.and almost daily. My periods always regular and never missed one since pregnant  with my son at 20 yrs. and I missed 2 in a row.Jan and Feb. it returned this month.

But last month I went to the ER for upper back pain thinking kidney stones, They took catscan and said no stones,but they did see a few nodules om my lungs,and wanted to repeat the scans with dye. The ER Doc told me and my boyfriend ,they were nothing and I was fine and to go home and enjoy the weekend. Not even the mention of a follow up. But im bipolar and prone to anixety attacks. So I decided to go for a second opinion. So I did, and my regular Doc said she read the hospital results and there was alot of stuff wrote on them about even the posibility of needing a PETscan.and then it was wrote under it "if thought nessecery. Nothing else but what the ER Doc said was ever relayed to me.He sent me home assuring me Iwas fine. Now my regular Doc said she was concerned with the findings, but she could not say what they were intil further testing. She said she was sending me to a Lung Specialist. So I got the call today with the apointment set up for Wensday, and the nurse stressed it was very important I keep and make that apointment. So now I sit here in a stressed panic, thinking the worst...because of the way the nurse said that. The only issues I have atm I have lost about 35 to 40 pounds since like August or Sept due to back pain and not being able to stand up and cook or eve nmake a sandwhich, I have been living on slimfast drinks, yougurt, and salads since Oct. and I have the night sweats or hot flashes whatever you call them. and the 2 missed periods. I do beleive I did have a diaignoses of some form of Arthritis.....So now my Doc said she is concerned about the weight loss and the night sweats that at first she thought was menopausal.

And all I know is the nodules are suposedly somewhere in the middle of my lungs right side. I know this is long....but im scared...about how it could go from being nothing from what the ER Doc said.....to its very important I dont miss the apointment with the Lung specialist on wens.

Extremely panicked here in Ohio
please be checked for complications of histoplasmosis  you will see nodules on xray you need a high resoultion CT scan and a cardiac MRI to show all involement .
Hi people...so glad to find this site. Had ct scan last week for diverticulitis, which turned out just inflamed and not infected. Of course, they find something else. A 5mm nodule lower right, non calcified. Had a new Ct scan today...Dr. called tonight, said I have 3 nodules in right lung...two are 4mm and one 5mm, all non calcified. I'm 43, never smoked, but lived with HEAVY smokers first 20 years of life. My husband smokes, outside, but have always worried about his second hand smoke, we've been together for 7years. I did have bronchial asthma...many many times  in my 20's and 30's, and took inhalers daily. But last 7 years haven't needed them at all. Dr. is genuine, knowing I'm stressed and he calls to check on me, always saying to stop worrying. It is difficult. Wants another scan in 9mo. Thanks for forum...nice to put down my thoughts! Best wishes to all.Kim
Update of nodules! After reading everyones information, I put on a post that my nodules were .08 mm, but when I looked at my scan results and read them again it has in there are several nodules from .05 to .08 cm? Now I am confused as to what size they are? Does anyone out there who can tell me what the difference is between the .08 cm compared to a mm? Thanks Vivian
Something does not seem right about the numbers you were given. It would make more sense if the numbers were .5 and .8cm since one cm = 10 mm, then the sizes would be 5mm and 8mm. To give you an idea of what that looks like, 6.35mm = 1/4 inch. Hope this helps
Anyway I went for a ct scan for my thyroid back in January and the Dr decided to ask for a chest scan also since I had just quite smoking after 30 years. They found a 4mm nodule on the lower right lung. I will be getting it scanned again this month to see if it has changed. Worst part now is the waiting. I don't make any long term plans at this point untill I get an idea as to where this all ends up.
Thanks Rfred
Not sure if this will help anyone or not but I've learned over the last few months that even if you have nodules and they are growing it doesn't necessarily mean cancer. As I posted before my fiance had some nodules found during a scan for a kidney stone...well over the course of a few months the nodules grew pretty rapidly, some to over 2cm.  At first it was decided to repeat CT scans to keep an eye on them but his primary dr. thought it best we see on oncologist.  He had a lung biopsy last month and were relieved to find out it was not cancer but nocaseating granulomas.  We are not sure exactly what is causing them, he has ulcerative colitis so it could just be a result of his body's inflammatory process.  We are going back to the pulmonologist later this month to see what we need to do from here.  I guess point of the story is that its not always worst case scenario, so hang in there everyone and good luck!!! :)
Thanks so much to everyone for your posts.  I, too, just had an ultrafast heartscan and they incidentally saw two nodules, 3 & 6 mm in the lower lobe of my right lung.  I'm going to see my PCP on Tuesday and will get a plan of action then.  I'm  41, non-smoker and I keep telling myself it's probably nothing but then when I dwell on it, I make myself crazy.  If any of you have results, please continue to post.  It is helpful and therapeutic.  Everyone take care.
I received my CT scan rusults yesterday, and the radiologist reported that all my nodules are stable, and one did not even show up on this third scan! His diagnosis was that it may be some type of infection or inflammation of sort! I see my pulmonologist on May 3rd, so I will report his information at that time! I feel relieved, but will have to continue the Ct scans for up to 24 months just in case! Hang in there everybody, you just never know!!! Leaving for a 7 day cruise tomorrow, so at least this news will allow me to have a better time! Peace and Love Vivian
Hi Vivian - Glad to hear the nodules are stable - mine were stable too on my 2nd CT scan - now I am having my 3rd CT scan on Monday.............The last scan stated that it looked like old scar tissue???????????????  But the doctor (per their protocol) is doing another CT scan and this will be 1 year since my original CT so I have 1 year to go.

So your going on a cruise - how nice !!! where are you going to be headed?  Have a great time on your cruise and let us know all the details when you get back
Hugs - Julie in Southern California

Hi. I just found out today I have one 4mm nodule in my right lower lobe. From reading all the comments, I am not going to freak out about it, but the CT scan calls it a small 4 mm pleural based nodule. It doesn't say anything about calcified or noncalcified, and it is only 1 nodule. Does anyone know what pleural-based means?

Also, I put off getting a CT scan (they were actually looking for a kidney stone, which I didn't have, but that's another story) because I've heard that the radiation from one CT scan is a lifetime's worth of radiation. Yet I hear people here say they are going back for their 3rd or 4th scan. That is a huge load of radiation - couldn't that in itself cause these nodules to grow? Just curious! Or worried. Or both.

Ginger
Well I just got the results of my second scan of the 4mm nodule on my lower right lung and there is no change since first found in January. Now thats how I spell relief (if you remember the commercial). They do not want another ct scan for a year now so thats a good thing. Hope everyone does well and take care.

Rfred
I went in for a fluttering in the chest area (gone now), and came up positive for d-dimer, and then the ct found "multiple nodules less than 4mm). I know its probably benign, but yes, I am still freaking out. MULTIPLE?
No new scans for me as of yet (July Ill have next scan) but just wanted to say I went MONTHS without ANY responses to this thread and I decided to look again and BAM! TONS of responses!

I know what you mean about feeling better knowing you are not alone. I also know these nodules can be caused by MANY different hings, even some of our OWN nodules could be a few different things inside our own lungs.

Keep posting updates- Ill be back more often now that Im not alone! ;)

I wish the BEST to EVERYONE going thru this, and TOGETHER, I believe we can create a suport system strong enough for all of us sharing this unwanted, horrifying experience of the unknown....

Nicol
hi to make a long and devastating story short, my 51 year old aunt was diagnosed on March 5th with stage 4 lung cancer it had spread to her pericardial sac around her heart, we never left her alone from that time on, she passed away on April 7th a month and 2 days after finding out.  Our family is devastated, she and i were very close only 4 years apart, she never had kids and was close to my 2 adult children.  Since then, me only other aunt went for a ct scan, and last Friday May 14th was told she has lung cancer, had pet scan there are no more spots just one in upper right lobe, we are going to St. Louis Siteman cancer ctr on Wed to get consult.
I was having a difficult time and still am dealing with my aunts death, went to my GP who prescribed 2 meds to help me sleep and calm down, he suggested ct scan to give me piece of mind so on second visit i agreed, i never told anyone just did it. Got my results but they didnt give me piece of mind, the said there were multiple bilateral scattered what appeared to non calcified granulomas, but scan read they could not rule out early metastic disease.  Also nodules found in my neck, which i had on friday ultrasound on neck, doc called that day and told me i was scheduled for nuclear thyroid scan, and to see a pulmonologist next week to possibly do a bronchioscopy with staining on the nodules.  This is all familiar to me because of my first aunt.  I'm worried sick, about my second aunt, and my own situation which i've only told my husband children, i don't want to worry my aunt as she's for sure going to be going through some tough times when they operate perhaps.
Am i just overly anxious or is there cause?? any info help is greatly appreciated.  
Hi all:

I have been freaking out and crying hysterically for a week now.  On May 16th, I went to the ER for something unrelated.  They did a CT Scan on my chest and told me that they found a 4mm nodule on my upper right lung and it is non calcified.  On the report it said for me to get it checked again in 6 months.  I am 36 years old and I have smoked for many many years so you can understand my anxiety.  I have also gotten so much conflicting information.  The ER doctor who told me about the nodule told me not to worry about that 99.9% of the time they are nothing and he knew about my smoking history.  Then of course reading about it on the internet has freaked me out because everything points back to cancer.  I have been reading so many posts and some say not to worry and some say worry like for example reading I think Nicoles post to someone who was talking about a 16mm nodule, she commented that 1 nodule is a really bad sign and I have heard the opposite so I think when it all comes down to it, no one really knows not even the doctors.  I went to my primary doctor and he said that he sees these things at least 4 times a week but because I am a smoker it does make it a little more worrisome but that statistically it being benign was still on my side.  Tomorrow I go to see a Pulmonary doctor because I just can't sit and wait 6 months to find out abou this thing.  I even called a 24 hour cancer hotline crying hysterically.  Like everyone else, they told me not to jump ahead of myself and to please stop getting my information from the internet.  It's easier said than done.  All I can think about is the fact that I have a 15 month old son and the idea of him growing up without me puts me in such a deep dark place and I have no one to blame for this but myself.  I also started taking Chantex today, my doctor told me to look at this as a reason to quite smoking and boy am I ever.  It has been hard at times because I'm all stressed out about it so it makes me want to smoke a cigarette UGH!!!  I have none in my home and I refuse to go buy any and contribute more of my money to the destruction of my life.  Anyway, I really hope this turns out to be nothing more than a very scary wakeup call for me specially for the sake of my little boy because he is the most important thing to me, I just keep looking at his little face and I tell myself for him I am going to fight this but if it's lung cancer there is only so much I can do.

Well thanks for listening.
I am glad you are going to route of giving up smoking!  How is the chantix working for you?  I, unfortunately, had some side effects from the chantix and had to quit with the nicorette gum, but I know of others who have been able to give up smoking with chantix with good results.  

My third CT Scan showing similar results with no changes from the prior two CT Scans, which is a good thing.  The pulmonary doctor said I need just one more CT Scan at the end of this year and I will be done with having to schedule scans every 4 - 6 months.  

This is typical protocol to watch the nodules when they are found on a CT Scan for about 2 years or so.  I also have my CT Scan done for unrelated reasons.

I know how it is to walk on pins and needles from worry.  Hopfully the worry you are having will prove to be benign.  
Julie
Hi, my next scan isnt til July, so I have no perwsonal updates, but want to comment on others.
First, thru all of my extensive research, Ive found this to be the truth by average of collected data on the internet, asking actual doc and PAS, and reading magazines, reports, etc.

-If the nodule is calcified, its rare to be Cancer. If its non-calcified, it hasnt "scarred over and healed", so growth and Cancer are more likely found occur in the them.

-Single Pulmononary Nodules are statistically more likely to become Cancerous. Multiple are most likely caused by other things (TB, infection, scarring, exposure,etc.).

The reason we all freak out, which is NORMAL by the way, and its human nature to worry and its perfectly OKAy to do so, is because NO study, NO stats, NO nothing....can prove there is still not a 50/50 chance of our nodules being Cancer...just because we have them our risks for Cancer increase tremendously! Now, if we didnt have them, we wouldnt worry right? But their there, and we must scan and watch and scan and watch FOR a REASON. Noone knows....

I dont let myself worry as much as I used to, but Ive been thru a few scans. and so far just a few more nodules but no growth.

My DR doesnt seem to worried but I am, just not consuming my every thought w it anymore.

To the people here that are going thru this, remember its ok to feel all those feelings. Its healthier not to ignore them. Its healing, if you will.

I really hope everyone continues posting their results, as we can at least see whats going on statistically in our own online community. Take care!

PS I used an ecig to quit smoking a year ago-they work immediately. can read up on it at another forum zI frequent.

wwwe-cigarette-forum.com good luck hope you stick with it!
hope all is emotionally well!  After getting results in March/April on nodules...today actually, for first time, I told my family I'm happy. FINALLY! Went thru all emotions this unknown has caused. But I've put this on the back burner until next scan in December. Hope everyone has a great summer....STAY POSITIVE!
So glad to hear! :) My next ones in July, Ill be sure to post results! Keep the GOOD news coming!
Terrified here... I just went to the ER two days ago for possible heart attack or lung bloodclot. CT scan taken and found multiple non-calcified nodules in my right middle lobe. 2-5mm in size. I am suppose to go back for another CT in 6 mo and then 24mo. OMG! I am so stressed and full of anxiety. I had a CT in 2005 but they didnt mention them then. I just went through a scare about having ALS 3 years ago. It turned out to me some electrolyte problem with a messed up kidney. I finally got myslef to settle down and now this. I know I will eventually calm down, but it just scrares me so. My mother died from Breast cancer/lung cancer. She went through hell before she died. It had a huge impact on my life when I was in my mid 20's. I am not 44 and have a son about the same age as I was when my mom was diagnosed. I worry more about my loved ones than myself really. Here i go - convincing myslef i have cancer when it seems less that a 1% chance that i do. At least that is what i read. Anyway, I am mostly here to just vent and maybe find a support network, other than family. I dont like to worry them with my worrying, but seems hard to not show my fear. Anyway, thanks for listening.
I too have have a 3mm nodule noncalcified lower left lung.  I found out two weeks ago I have it, when my GP called and said it time for my 6 month CT scan.  I think my response was what the h*** are you talking about.  Last Dec I was admitted to the hospital for a heart pain.  After many test my heart is good but they forgot to tell me about the nodule.  Boy was I ever blindsided.  For ten days I was a mess,  I am 51 and quit smoking in 2007.  I have a twelve year old son, for 10 days I was convinced I would never see him graduate.  I was already telling my husband things he would need to do and know.  The mind can really be a terrible place when threatened.  I had my scan last Thurs.  the nodule is unchanged and I will have another scan in 6 months.  I still have my moments when I have to tell myself to breath.  I keep telling myself if I did not have the heart pain I would of never known I have this little thing.  Maybe devine intervention if it does someday turn out to be something.  I know this summer I am going to make the best of summer vacation, give more hugs and kisses, look up old friends.  Maybe this was a sign for me to slow down and enjoy life.  Maybe just a wake up call.   Best wishes to all of you.  I know how scary this all is!
I just happened to come by this site by a search.  I went in to my dr.'s in May to have my annual physical (several months late but went in non the less).  I had the usual done to include all my blood work.  It came back that I had some vitamin deficanices and now have to take a vitamin D supplement daily and get vitamin b-12 injections.  I have been having some digestive problems the last several months and with the blood work results they sent me for an adominal CT scan.  Just got the call from the doctor that they found a 3mm nodule on the base of my lung and I am now going in for a CT of my Chest Friday. I am really freaking out.....what the heck????
I am amazed that these nodules are all found in error....due to another illness. Is it a blessing in disquise? It just may be, you look at life differently, I've slowed down to enjoy things.

nicol....best of luck in July, I enjoy your posts.Talk soon.
Thank you Kim :) Ive learned not to let the nodules consume me, but it took over almost a year.....geez, I mean its nice to know Im not alone but on the other hand, I dont wish this agony of not knowing on ANYONE. Im glad we all have found a place to vent and talk....My scan is a month away now and I do admit Im a lil nervous, but well see...Keep posting guys.....this forum gives us support that cant be found elsewhere. If we dont keep posting, wewill drive ourselves insane!

Good luck to everyone and I cannot wait to hear some good news from everyone SOON!!!!
I have had these for over 25years now,ever puffed a smoke. The Dr says the imune system fought off TB and they resulted. No change, just the constant pain under the breast bone. I,ve never known what life without pain is all this period. Blood tests are all clear.
Just got the report from chest CT.  What does this mean? "A small focus  of atelectasis is seen to the left lung base.  A couple of subcentimeter lymph nodes are seen to the prevascular space and mediastinum".
I'm so confused..............please help!!!!
atelectasis means small collapse of lung, and the fact that those lymphs were noted *could mean either of two things.....1-they were noted bc of enlargement or other abnormalty or 2-it is normal they were there and were noted as so......

call ur dr and ask him hat all this means....they will tell you. Id DEF want to know!!!!!

Good luck and hope to hear some good news....
I'm so glad I found this site. Like many, I had an unrelated test (heart scan) and just found out I have a subcentimeter nodule in each lung...no mention of whether they are calcified but I am assuming that since a heart scan looks for calcifications in the heart, that it also finds calcifications in the lungs.  They said to follow up with a CT scan in a year.  That seems like a long time. Does anyone know if there are blood tests that would show cancer markers for cancer of the lungs?
Like many others I am SO glad to have found this board!  

I was diagnosed w/breast cancer last year...had mastectomy and a micrometastasis to the 1st lymph node was discovered so off to chemo I needed to go.  Only the reconstruction of my breast went bad and I had skin necrosis -- can't do chemo w/an open wound.  It took months to heal, finally did my chemo and just finished 2mos ago.  It sucked, but I digress.

Towards the end of my treatment I suffered from shortness of breath and a pressure in my chest.  Oncologist kept saying it was a side effect but when I spiked a little fever they did a CT w/contrast and I was told I had pneumonia.  Went to a pulmonary doc to be sure all was well and he ordered a CT without contrast -- it showed 2 noncalcified nodules, one in each lung, very small (can't rememer now but measured in mm not cm)...he said they didn't look like cancer and scheduled a CT again for me in Sept.  But I went to a second pulmonary doc just to be sure.  He saw a third nodule on the CT film and as a cancer survivor himself said he wanted to rule out a fast growing metastasis and sent me for another CT w/o contrast.

Today he received the report (but not disc yet) and it said my original nodules shrank a bit but that there are other new ones.  He is not making any recommendations till he sees the film and can compare it to the others himself.

I am FREAKING out -- every thing that can go wrong has gone wrong from the minute I found the lumps in my breast 4/09.  I've not had a moment of peace since...trying to find the right surgeons...getting the right treatment...now this.  I am so weary I feel like I can't go on.  But I have two young children...they need me.

Oh, I am 46 and quit a 23y smoking habit about 9 years ago.  Prior to my breast cancer diagnosis I was a healthy vegan who hadn't even had a cold in about 8 years.

Thanks for letting me tell my story and venting.  Like others I will update when I know more in the hopes that it might help someone else.

PS -- a question -- does anyone know if nodules show up in CT's with or without contrast?  The first doc I saw claimed that you don't see noduels on CT's with contrast, but the second guy says you can see them either way.  

Kayleigh
Hi Kayleigh...hope all is well today for you, writing regarding CT/w and wo contrast, In my case the nodules were found with contrast on lower lung, Dr. sent me for full lung Ct scan following week  without contrast and 3 nodules were found. Hope this helps. Keep your spirit up, I know this is very difficult time. Keep posting.
Kim
This question has been on mind lately...any answers would be helpful.  If nodules are present due to TB, pneumonia, etc etc....and this is scar tissue during healing, wouldn't nodules stay the same size? Why do they continue to grow/multiply?  Personally I don't think doctors have any true answers that satisfy me! Thanks for any ideas.

Kim
I have multiple non calcified nodules in both lungs. One is described as spiculated. Most 2-3mm. One spiculated one in lower left lobe is 4x3mm. Smoked only for about 2 years in late teen years. I'm 38 now. They have been following these for 3 years now. They thought the big one may have grown the beginning of this year but they did a nodule protocol in the CT scan which does smaller slices of film, so they repeated it 3 mos later with the other type of CT scan and said no change. Have some slight pain in my chest sometimes but no other symptoms. Anyone else living with non calcified, spiculated nodules for a long time without any problems? Can these be scar tissue or something else when they are non calcified?
Thank you!
I just found out that I have nodules on my lungs during tests to check my stomach for reflux that has been giving me problems.  IT started out as an ultrasound for gall bladder due to stomach problems, then went to CT scan due to fatty liver possibility and now while they did find fat in the liver, radiologist suggested ct for lungs if there is a history of lung cancer in family.  There is a history so I am off to have another CT on Monday.  Dr. couldn't tell me much more than the CT would tell us more.  It has kind of freaked me out.  I just wanted to figure out why my reflux was acting up and make sure nothing else was going on.  I know that I have read that most nodules are benign but I have had a dry cough for years and get bronchitis a lot so it makes me a little nervous.
i recently had  a ct scan done and it indicated a 3mm noncalcified pulmonary nodule within the right upper lobe. is this cancerious. what do i need to be concerned with . i am a smoker of 25 yrs i am a 46 yr old male .. please help me understand what this means.
Lori- I have all the same symptoms minus the dry cough (thanks to these nodules I quit smoking last June [09[)

Im interested in ur results, I hope you will post as you get them.

EVERYONE-I have my next scan tomorrow morning, and as you can see Im up late NERVOUS...AGAIN!!!
Its always a nervous, anxious wait until getting the results of each scan, yet not total relief of an "unchanged reading" (hopefully, if not better) due to theres ALWAYS a "nest scan" around the corner.

To the girl who recovered from Breast Cancer last year- Stay as positive as possible...worry isnt something we cannot do, but something we cannot let overtake us, as it does bring our immune ssystem down. Ill keep you and everyone here in my prayers and if you need to vent further, feel free. I cannot imagine going thru ur situation....but I CAN relate to these nodules tearing you apart right now. Everyone says "dont worry, its prob ntothing" but unfortunately, we both know that NOT worrying just is NOT an option. Venting thru this forum has helped me tremendously and I hope you too, find some sort of comfort knowing you can vent here without being judged. :)
your on my mind today. I'm awaiting your results....patiently. Hope all is well. Please update soon. I tell myself "it is what it is" ...you just need to move on and LIVE! What else is there to do? I hate this and yet, I tell myself this is part of me now. I just feel trapped somehow, I'm sure others feel the same.  Maybe it's time for  me to take some "happy pills" well it's just a thought!
Hi,  I am a 16 month breast cancer survivor,in July of 09 I had a chest ct which showed a small 5mm nodule,they did another one in oct with no change,then had another one done in april of 2010 and it showed that it had grown to 6mm now.Yes I do smoke and have since I was 13 am now 53,my oncoligist says its to small to worry about,but with my history its hard not to.do you think I have reason to worry.
I am a 57year old female.  I went to the ER in Sept., 2009 with heart flutters.  The d-dimer test they gave me was elevated so they did a ct scan with contrast to rule out blood clots.  When they told me I have 3 pleural nodules of approximately 3mm each, I totally lost it.  I had a ct in Jan. 2010 and the nodules hadn't changed, although this report said I have 4 nodules and that the 4th one had been present on the first ct.  My primary doctor left the area so I am seeing a new one today to schedule another ct.  I try not to worry, but when I think of cancer, all reason leaves me.  I was a light smoker for 35 years , mainly to control my weight.  I quit June 2009....am very upset with myself for smoking.  This "condition" has caused me great anxiety, especially near the time of the ct scans.     Linda33
Hey my wife was recently told she has a nodule on her left lung 8mm the doctor really didn't go over anything just sent us to another doctor but we can't see him til 3 months somebody please tell me something all he said she was border line and that's it. Thanks court.
Hi...I suggest asking that doctor what he meant by "borderline."   That could mean a number of things.  Was this found on ct or an xray?  When my lung nodules were found, there were 3 in the right lung and each was app. 3 mm.  Since I was in the hospital, I saw a pulmonary specialist and he said to wait 3-4 months for a repeat ct.  It seems to me that the doctors like to wait at least 3 months to see if there is any growth from the original nodule size.  Are you to see a pulmonary specialost in 3 months?  If you do not want to wait, look around to find a different specialist who can see your wife sooner.  The news of lung nodules is SOOOO scary and upsetting...I know.   I am currently waiting for insurance approval to have my 2nd repeat ct scan.  First was in Sept. 2009, 2nd in Jan. 2010, and now my 3rd should be within the next 2 weeks.  Please keep me posted...Feel free to email me if you want to....It helps to connect with others...Take care...Linda33
Had several lung nodules in 2005, they showed up on a chest x-ray (5mm). Went through CT scans and PET scans and said not to worry. I didn't after the PET scan. Now in 2010, I had a bout of dry cough and SOB which the pulminologist said was reactive airway disease and treated me with my asthma meds and prednisone. I have had it for 2 months (although slightly better). Anyway my primary doc sent me for a chest MRI thinking it was less radiation. The report was horrible with more nodules, 2 @ 12mm. Went back to allergist and pulminologist who both said that the MRI was worthless and not the correct test to diagnose lung nodules. So now I'm scheduled for a CT scan soon. Should I have gone back since the 5 years - not sure, no one told me too. I do not think the nodules are in the same place. I'm hoping they are granulomas and this could lead to a diagnosis of sarcoidosis. I do have immune dysfunctions, allergies and possible autoimmune inflammation. The lung doctor said not to worry --easy to say, but not easy for me to handle. The only thing I can say is if these nodules were cancer I would be gone today from the last scare. So, I'm trying to stay positive and look into other possible diagnosis for these nodules.
I have also been diagnosed with a spiculated nodule in the left upper lung with some plueral thickening. I feel fine and have no real pain. Not sure how big the nodule is but I'm going to a Pulminary doctor tomorrow and am very freaked out. Does anyone have any advice that might help me sleep, this is very agonizing to go thru. Do these types of nodules usually become cancer?
I was so happy to find this - they found spots last fall - lung doc thought they were histoplasmosis until my second scan in the spring they found more spots.  Lucky me - I believe the spots are around .4mm to .6mm - not quite sure as it was quite a shock to me when they told me I had grown more.  I have had a lot of the same feelings as a lot of you  - you try to not to worry or think about it (the doc tells you not to worry) but you can't help it sometimes.  So it was good to hear that I am not the only one who feels this way.  The positive of it all it has spurred me to get my self in better shape - I currently have lost approx 45 lbs since they first found the spots and am going to continue to get as healthy as I can "just in case"!!   I go next Friday, Oct. 1st for my 3rd scan and to be honest I am a little bit nervous about it - last time I went into with the attitude nothing was up and all was good just to have that rug pulled out from under me so I am a little more cautious this time.  I see the doctor on the 21st for the results.  So thank you all for your words here as it has given me a sense of not being alone and it is hard for others to understand.  Due to family circumstances we haven't even told my kids (all adults) yet and I go back and forth if that is the right thing or if I should be telling them, that is probably the hardest part.  But then the situation with them doesn't make it easy to tell them either.  Tough place to be.  
Hi - I am a 27 year old female and i have smoked for 11 years. i have been experiencing right chest pain for months. in addition i also have fatigue, joint pain and occasional shortness of breath. I was put on steroids for a few months , off and on, and they helped but with pleurisy pains that wont go away my dr sen me for a ct scan with contrast and they found nodule(s) not sure how many. i am too see a pulmonologist  on oct. 6th but with few answers and billions of concerns not to mention the extremely painful chest pain daily i was wondering if anyone else has had nodules with chest pain and what was the outcome. my pain is all on my right side under my rib cage and it makes it hard to breath sometimes. any suggestions? all are appriecated.
thanks
shelly-PA
Hello All,i am a 41 year old male... i m so glad i found this board. Like most of you here they found 3 noncalcified nodules after a ct scan. 2 were 4 mm and one was 6mm, and were described as triangular in shape, and were found in the base of the lungs.In the conclusion of the radiology report it says that they simply noted 3 micro nodules and suggest a repeat scan in 6 months due to my smoking history (half pack a day for 12 or so years) and ( have been smoke free for 2 years now). It is also mentioned that at most they could be intra pulmonary lymph nodes (which supposedly was good news). Well after the first scan i saw my lung specialist who told me that there was nothing to worry about (yeah right) and that we would do a repeat scan in 6 months...come the end of the month of May 2010 a repeat scan was done and only 2 nodules showed up the 6mm one did not even show up, and the other 2 did not show any growth (what a relief) i then saw my lung specialist again who wants to see me only in the summer of 2011 and said he would not schedule a scan right now and we will discuss it at my next visit( i guess that s a good sign)....even after these positive results i still have a hard time with this.. i know that i m an obsessive person, but at least i see that i m not the only one who worries about this. everyone around thinks i m crazy to be so worried especially after receiving positive results.... i m sorry about my long post but i just needed for someone to listen and not judge me for feeling the way i do...Thanks to all here for letting me vent. God bless you all, and i will have you all in my prayers.
44 yrs old I'm new hear I just found out that I have a micronodule of 2.9 mm.  I'm a smoker.  Have to wait for an appointment with a respitory dr.  Should I be scared?  What should I ask?  How do I quit smoking?  Single mom, stress case!!!!
Hi EvaM65, i sent you a private message. I m also from Montreal and being followed at Maissonneuve Rosemont.
can a nodule that shrank from 5 mm to 3 mm still be cancerous.  i was just told that i had a nodule about a year and a half ago when i had pneumonia (the doctor never told me) then i have had this nagging cough and my new doctor told me that compared to my old c scan my nodule had shrank!  well i did not even know i had one before and now i am worried of course but being it shrank is there any cause to even worry about it?  
I had a full body scan in May 2010 to see why the extreme fatigue I had since Feb 10 did not go away.  The CT scan found a 4mm nodular in my lower lobe.  After taking my medical history (37 years old, non-smoker, no family member with cancer history), the pulmonologist said that it's nothing worry about.  Like many of you, the nodular has been on my mind since May.  The pulmonologist also said that if the nodular causes me anxiety, then have a repeat CT in a year (he said he would not do it if he were me because of the radiation risk).  

Since radiation exposure is also my concern, I decided to look for an alternative.  So, I found the new blood test for cancer, Early CDT-lung (Early Cancer Detection Test for lung) from this company: http://www.oncimmune.com/earlycdt-lung/.  I had my blood drawn and sent to this company.  The cost for the test is $475, but my insurance paid for it (I was told that if my insurance refuse to pay, I am NOT responsible for the cost.  I think this is because the test is so new and this company is willing to test you for free to gain popularity).  The test came back negative.  Sure, it gave me some peace.  
However, since this blood test is so new, I am not sure how reliable it is.  The sensitivity of the test is on 40%. When I asked them "Should I rely on your test and skip the CT scan?", they said that I should follow the recommended repeat CT in a year.

I would not worry too much if I do not feel sick...however, I am not feeling 100% and keep thinking that the nodular is cancerous and causing my fatigue...I try to convince myself that the sick feeling is caused by the anti-anxiety drug I 'm taking (i'm trying to get off clonazapem...used to take 1mg a day between June and Sept to help me sleep and anxiety....i'm on 0.0625mg a day now).

My goal is to be completely off Clonazapem by Thanks giving.  Then I'll have 6 months until my 1 year scan.  I pray to Jesus and the Virgin to give me the sign:
If I feel 100% healthy by May 2011, I might just skip the CT scan cause I don't want to be exposed to radiation too much.  If I still feel sick, then will have to do it.  

Let's keep each other in prayers...many time, I found peace praying the Rosary.  If you are not Catholic, I urge you to learn about Catholic faith and pray to Jesus and Mary...many miracles happen when they prayed...also, I pray so that God will help researchers to come up with better tests like these (http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00639067, http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=115141, http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AACR-IASLC/17936) sooner so we all can be relieved from this anxiety.
Hi everyone,
I have just spent the last 30 minutes reading everyone's posts instead of working. :)
I had a ct on my right shoulder on 10/29 and it showed a ground glass nodule 4mm in size in my right upper lobe. I am a melanoma survivor (2000) and am otherwise healthy (besides a bad right shoulder from years of volleyball!). I am very nervous for several reasons: 1) cancer runs in my family on both sides and I've already had a Level II melanoma and 2) I made the mistake of looking up "ground glass" and what I am finding is not sunshine and rainbows. That said, I am 31 years young and realize that the chances of my having lung cancer are very low BUT I am so scared because I am a young mom and worry about my future if my body is already developing cancerous growths. I have a full chest ct scheduled for November 30th and will enjoy the holidays as much as possible until then.
Anyone else experienced with GGO's? I smoked for about 15 years but on and off and at my worst, never more than a pack a day. :(
Thank you!!
MK
Suppose to have a CT scan number two in Dec., but going to wait for maybe another few months. Mainly to not worry for the holidays..and second...not fond of the radiation.  Nodules are small enough that I figure I can wait a full year. Everyone....put this aside and enjoy the holidays!
Hi All,  I had a ct scan performed about 2 months ago to look for possible kidney stones. 2 less than 4mm nodules were found in one lung. I have been referred to a pulmanary doctor who has asked for a chest x-ray before tthe appointment. Is there any point to having a chest xray at this time. Wouldn't a chest ct more valuable and informative like we're going backwards.

Raf
My husband has one 7 mm calcified spot and one 13 mm non-calcified spot on his left lung.  His doctor wants a repeat CT scan in 3 months for the 13mm spot and the waiting is killing me.  He doesn't seem worried about this at all, but I am coming unglued.  He was a heavy smoker for over 30 yrs, but has quit.  He is 47 years old and says he feels fine & all other tests at his physical were fine, but he wheezes every once in awhile & has a cough that produces phlegm.  Any ideas?
I am a 38 y/o male, have not smoked for over 13 years.  I too have nodules in both lungs that range from 6 to 11mm.  in size.  Most are near the exterrior of my lungs.  I have a CT Scan on the 16th of Feb so I am holding my breath waiting for the result.  Meanwhile, I have been having terrible sweating spells.  Today for example I have been sweating off an on, mostly on, all day long.  I am really tired but when I try to sleep I feel like it's 100degrees out and cant seem to get my body to fall asleep.  This normally happens between 3 and 5 times a day, at least it has for hte last month.  Today was full on though.  We are gettin kinda woried.  Any thoughs you have would be appreciated.
I know the stress of waiting is the hardest part, but try not to worry.  My husband's got his next ct scan on march 1st & i have about driven myself crazy worrying for the last 6 weeks.  From what I hear most nodules are nothing to be concerned about.  I, myself, had a spot on my lung 10 yrs ago which turned out to be a calcified granuloma.  The difference between mine & my husband's was that mine was easily identified with the first ct scan.  His was not calcified then so we are playing the watch & wait game.  Will say a prayer for you on the 16th.
Thanks for the prayers.  They are much appreciated.  
My nodules are non calcified as well.  The doc says that if there is any real growth on the 16 then he will do a biopsy.  He seems pretty confidant that this is not goin to be cancer but it is exhausting waiting it out....  Good luck in March.  We will be praying for y'all too...

Those of you feeling pain in chest since discovering your nodules should chalk it up to stress.  We feel all kinds of things once the suggestion of a "growth" or a condition is suggested.  Let's all lighten up, breathe deeply and take the positive suggestions our doctors give us.  We don't have lung cancer!
I've been sitting here reading all these posts which I'm so glad I found.  Back in October I had what ended up being a pulled muscle but the Dr. thought it may have been a pulmonary embolism so she ordered a CT scan which showed 3 (largest was 9mm I think) nodules and 3 enlarged lymph nodes.  I thought I was dead right at that very moment.  I have a 3yr old and 1yr old and it was all I could think about.  But she went on to say that they're very common and she's not at all concerned and we'll re-check them in 3 months.  I went back the next day because I was in a complete panic and asked for bloodwork.  She said bloodwork wouldn't show if I had cancer but she would order them.  All bloodwork was OK and my 3 month re-check CT scan is this coming Monday on the 7th.  This is completely consuming my every minute of ever day since I found out about these things back in october.  All I can think about all day is dying of lung cancer and my kids and Mom having to watch.  It's unbearable.  I've even though about not going on Monday because I don't know how I can even handling finding out there are any changes.  I forgot to mention that I had begged my Dr to refer me to the pulmonologist who saw me right away and also agreed this is nothing to worry about.  Why don't we trust our Drs I wonder?  This whole thing has probably aged me 5 years.  The stress is more than I can handle and as Monday is coming up I can't even hardly function.  I just sit on the computer every chance I get and look for some good news where the nodules and lymph nodes are concerned.  I see a lot of talk on here about nodules but few say anything about lymph nodes. That has me worried more if that was even possible.  
Hi all, I am in the same boat as many of you.  I am 39, good health, never smoked and after an episode of intense chest pain (which I was told was due to a chest spasm) a nodule was found in my right lung on a chest x-ray.  I had a follow-up CT scan a couple of weeks later, which showed more nodules in two clusters (on the top and the bottom) of my right lung.  After that CT, the radiologist said the spots were likely "inflammatory in nature", i.e., Valley Fever (since I live in Arizona and this fungal infection is very common).  I had blood work done to test for Valley Fever and it came back negative.  My doctor put me on antibiotics to see if this would clear up any infection and I waited a month before my next CT scan.  I just got the results back and 2 months after the first x-ray, I have even more spots on the right lung than I had before.  My primary care doc is perplexed and I am scheduled to see the pulmonologist on the 14th.  He says that I am at low risk for cancer due to age, non-smoking history and I am not showing many symptoms of "inflammatory" processes.  However, I have had shortness of breath when I exercise over the last few weeks. I have used my inhaler 3 and 4 times before and after the gym to try and keep my breath when working out.  I am trying not to worry, there is nothing I can do at the moment and it isn't good to be distracted when you're the Mom of a 4 year old and a 1 year old.  However, it is stressful to have no answers and shortness of breath episodes.  :(  I am hoping the pulmonologist doesn't give me a "wait and see" treatment plan...I do not feel like I can wait 6 months with the possibility of getting worse.  Does anyone know what the next step might be in treatment?
Hi.  I'm so glad to have found this site as it's been helpful to read these posts.  I recently had an abdominal CT scan and it was noted my report that a pleural-based 3mm nodule was found on my right lung.  I had a chest CT scan in 2009 and the only thing noted was a scar on my left lung (due to pneumonia that I had years ago).  My doctor is having the films compared and I'm hoping to find out more this week.  I have smoked socially (off and on) when I was younger but never was a heavy smoker.  I have since stopped smoking.  I most likely will have another chest scan done again.  I'm trying to stay calm but am very nervous about it.
I just wanted to leave this update for everyone.  I heard back from my doctor today and after a comparison of my 2009 and 2011 CAT scan films, it was discovered that the nodule found on my lung in my most recent CAT scan was also present in 2009 and has not changed in size.  Needless to say I am very relieved.  Good luck to everyone who is in this same situation.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you all.
I also wanted to leave an update.  I saw the pulmonologist last Monday and he was fabulous.  He looked over everything, had his lab draw another set of tests (including a repeat of the Valley Fever test), and scheduled me for a bronchoscopy on Friday.  He collected some mucus and did a "wash" in several parts of the lung, to take specimens to culture.  The only thing he noticed with certainty during the bronch was a mild case of thrush, which was likely caused by the intense antibiotics (20 days worth) I had in January.  I have a follow-up appt on the 28th where he said we'd know the results of about 80% of the tests, but in the meantime, he put me on another type of antibiotics (covering another spectrum of bacteria than the other antibiotics I was on), gave me something for the thrush, set me up with a steroid inhaler, and wants me to have nebulizer treatments at home until my breathing returns to normal.  Other than the excessive medication/treatment over the next few weeks, I am feeling hopeful.  The pulm thinks that this is an "atypical" bacterial infection...we shall see.  Hope everyone else is doing well.
Hi everyone...I just wanted to give everyone an update on my husband.  He had his 3 month follow up scan last week & we got the results back today.  The spot has not changed at all...exactly the same size & shape.  They have not been able to confirm it as calcified but they have cleared him to wait 6 months rather than 3 for his next scan.  Needless to say I take this as good news & feel very relieved.  Thanks for all of your prayers.  I will continue praying for all of you in the same situation.  Prayers for no change at 6 months appreciated.
I am 35 years old female, and starting in dec of 2010 I started having a cough, would keep me up at night .. I finally went to the doctor and he said my lungs were a  little rough and wanted me to go have an xray done to rule out pnumonia. My test came back negative for pnemonia, but found a lung nodule in my rt lower lung lobe. They ordered a ctscan and results came back that i have several nodules the two biggest is 5mm and 6mm. They went back to previous chest xrays and nothing showed up. I go back in june for another scan. I am worried and scared. They recently did a TB test on me to make sure that wasn't the cause, and that was negative. I still have a cough , but not as bad. But there are many sleepless nights and times that i just sit and cry. Does anyone have any advice ? Thanks a bunch.. rm
I am a 35 year old female, i am a non smoker, but grew up in a house with 2 parents that smoked.  I have smoked marijuana socially.  stupid i know.  but it was only for about a year.  i have been having pains in my left side and had 2 kidney infections recently.  Dr thiking stress related cause an untra sound showed no abnormalities in kidney but pains are still there...ordered a CT scan for blood clots.  CT Scan was monday...dr just called today, no blod clots found, but there is a nodule on right lung.  i dont know size or if its calcified or not.  he wants me to go for a pet scan.  because he is ordering this....should i be concerned?  he says not to be concerned yet....but all i can think about is some of the stuff i looked up related to this, and i have 2 little girls i want to see grow up.
Don't worry ,it doesn't do anything anyway.Your nodules are usually too small to signal malignancy so you should wait the 3 months and see what happens.Meanwhile take care of yourself and remember stress doesn't help the situation.I'm not a Dr, but from what I've read and what my Dr. told me you have nothing to worry about.
Once again, without knowing the sise ,shape ,color etc. nobody can really give you an accurate opinion, but just because the Dr. ordered a pet scan is not a reason to worry.Also considering your age and the fact you're a non smoker the odds are on your side.Worst case scenario, if its something bad you caught it early and can take care of it .Keep the faith and let us know what happens.Good luck
I am a 29 yo female and have never smoked. I also had a ct without contrast for an unrelated reason and got a report back with 9 non-calcified, non-specific 2-4 mm nodules in the right lung and 3, 2-4 mm in the left lung. Of course I freaked- I am a nurse we worry!!! So I called my Dr., a pulmonologist, an oncologist and all say I should be fine, recommend follow up in 6mo-1yr, that it is probably scarring from inhalation  of something from childhood. I am glad to see I'm not the only young non-smoker with these.
hi i am 30 yrs old male from india.i am having some problem since more than 1.5 years.i do throat clearing all the time .more throat clearing after eating. as if a small mucus is stucked in my throat,which is not comming out.i was admitted for this in hospital.they have lots of tests including ct scan of chest,mri scan of throat,barium meal,endoscopy,24 hr esophagal ph monitoring,usg,blood tests.all are normal.no GERD.what should i do now?
please help me.

one thing i must tell u.this started at sep.2009.at that time,one day i sprayed baygon spray(for killing bugs and moquitoes) in my room ,and then i had to sleep in that room.since then my problem increased.there was some smell of spray.

i am doing this for 1 and half years.now i cant cough and hawk anymore.pls help. ..

I am a 47 year old female who discovered a lump in my left breast back in April 2010 and had mammograms done at that time that said the lump in the left breast was just a cyst and nothing to worry about but the mammogram did show a small area of concen in the right breast and ordered a repeat mammogram of the right breast for October of 2010.  In the meantime my mom was diagnosed with Stage 3 aggressive breast cancer.  When the repeat mammogram was done they said that the area of concern remained unchanged but after discussion decided to biopsy it because of my moms diagnosis.  It turned out to be breast cancer.  I had a lumpectomy in December of 2010.  The pathalogy report showed that they did not get it all and I had a reinsision done in January 2011.  A CT scan was also ordered in January because a pre-op chest x-ray showed something in my lung.  It turned out that I have multiple nodules measuring 6mm and smaller.  I went to see a thoracic surgeon who didn't think these nodules were anything of concern and would just like to do a repeat CT in 3 months.  I was also sent to a radiation oncologist for planning of treatment.  The CT scan worried her enough that she ordered a breast MRI and a PET scan.  The MRI showed more cancer in my right breast, outside my orginal surgery site, and an area of concern in my left breast (the lump that I went to see them about in April 2010.  I had the left breast biopsied on March 11 to find that it too was cancer.  Now they tell me that the mammograms missed well over 80% of my cancer and that they are still worried about my lung.  Back to the thoracic surgeon I go on referral this time.  Between the Thoracic surgeon and my breast surgeon they decided that they would do a lung biopsy along with a double mastectomy around the middle of April.  The thoracic surgeon made me believe that there still didn't seem to be any cause of worry re the nodules.  Two days ago I get a call from my breast surgeon to come see her.  Now she's telling me that they want to do the lung biopsy first because if it's cancer there's nothing they can do for me and really there's not much point in going ahead with the bilateral mastectomy even she's now booked me for the bilateral mastectomy for May 2nd just in case the lung biopsy comes back negative.  I'm having the lung biopsy on April 18th and now I'm scared stiff.  All this from what they said back in April of 2010 was nothing to worry about.  I'm very frustrated and confused.  One day they tell it's nothing, the next day they tell me I have cancer but in the very early stages (Stages 1 & 2 DCIS), the next day telling me that they're not sure I'm going to make it.  How does this happen?  I have three beautiful grandchildren that I want to see grow up.  I have been very positive all along until my doctors appointment this week.  I'll keep you in my prayers.  I know exactly where you're coming from.
Be strong and keep positive. Your biopsy will be fine. Stay focused and prepare yourself for the surgery in May. Continue to write and please update. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Kim
I am a 49 year old female. I am an avid bicyclist and back in October 2010 was having breathing difficulties and heart rate spikes that corresponded with chest pains.

My friend took me to the emergency room and they admitted me to the hospital. Ran all kinds of heart checks and it turned out fine, but they said I was severely anemic and needed a blood transfusion.

For the past several months, they have been monitoring my blood levels and there was a slow climb, but I felt better on my bike and really felt the improvement. (Also had colonoscopy to rule out colon cancer).

About a month and half ago, I began struggling again and they ran more labs and I had gone backwords with my blood level. They sent me to a hematologist/oncologist who was concerned for someone as healthy as me and from the tests he ran that my breathing should have nothing to do with the anemia. He ordered a CT scan.

Scan showed non-calcified multiple (10) nodules ranging from 4 mm to 11mm. A PET scan and head CT (since I have been having many headaches) is scheduled.

I am frightened because google is available and it appears everything looks to be against me except the fact that I have never been a smoker.

Anyone's insight or encouragement would be much appreciated.
I have many nodules in my lungs too.  Most nodules are of no concern.  Just don't let yourself be totally worried and do the testing just to rule things out and then your doctor can find out why you have been having shortness of breath.  I have had shortness of breath since I was in my 30"s, and I am in my late 50s now and I have multiple nodules in my lungs too.  Take care and please keep us posted!
I was told I have a L hilar nodule after 2 chest xray's that were done 2 months intervals. I had a CT Scan with contrast today and will get the results on Monday. I had a productive cough late fall and early spring which lasted forever with a few episodes of slight fever. I was told I had respiratory virus when seen by MD. There was slight decreased breath sounds on L side lung fields per MD so he is sending me for PFT's tomorrow. I have been slightly short of breath and having trouble with fatigue, but I have systemic Lupus and have poor endurance much of the time with joint pain and muscle pain. I did cough up some tissue and blood last month, so they did a TB test which is negative. I am trying to be positive and thinking it may be a healing pneumonia or inflammation due to Lupus. Is there anybody who has Lupus which has experienced this before? Thanks for allowing me to vent.
I went for my PET scan and follow-up. One of the things the oncologist said prior to my scan to ease my fears was that he wasn't afraid since I wasn't a smoker and that he didn't see activity in the nodes in the lungs.

The PET scan didn't light up the previously seen nodules, however it did light up new nodes in the lungs. The report concluded granulomas or metastatic disease. The oncologist went with calling it sarchoidosis. I am scheduled to see a pulmonologist on Wednesday.

I am not sure how he chose sarchoid over metastatic and I wish that I had thought to ask him, but I will find out more about what the pulmonologist will do this week.

The oncologist did schedule another scan in 8 weeks and I will breathe easier after it, hoping for no new or enlarged activity.
had another scan..its been 15 months since last. One nodule has completely disappeared and the other two have shrunk in size? No more further followups needed.

What a relief! So to all of you...do what dr. says about testing...and try not to dwell.
Hi, I am 37 and had a CT scan for other reasons as well, and resulted in a 7mm nodule too. Now my ribs hurt I'm not sure if there is any relations. I also had low platlets, and my vitamin D is very low. I had to repeat my blood for platlets they slowly elevated...but wad told I had to repeat blood work, which I haven't. besides the rib pain I also feel disoriented.
I am 59 and a pack a day smoker for 17 years.  Had a CT scan done about 3 weeks ago - the findings are: Numerous bilateral pulmonary nodules are identified, measuring up to 7mm in diameter.  The largest one is adjacent to the minor fissure on the right.  Mildly enlarged paratracheal lymph nodes are identified, the largest one is on the right measuring 11mm.  There are also multiple mildly prominent bilateral hilar lymph nodes.  No enlarged axillary lymph nodes identified. IMPRESSION: Numerous bilateral pulmonary nodules measuring 7mm in diameter, there are also multiple mildly prominent mediastinal and bilateral hilar lymph nodes.  Recommend further evaluation to exclude a primary malignancy, as these findings can be seen in the setting of metastatic disease to the chest.  Follow-up chest CT in 8 to 12 weeks is also recommended to document stability.  

These are results directly from the CT report.  I am having a PET scan next week to rule out a primary malignancy.....GOING CRAZY WAITING!!!  I will have another CT scan in early Nov.  I have had a normal Pulmonary Function test and my Polumary Dr does not think it is Sarcoidosis. Most everything I have read and the responses I have gotten from oncoloyg specialist have not been favorable. So why do I keep reading....i don't want any surprises.....If I expect the worse, then the good is even better....  I am trying to make light of it all, but I can't help but worry.  Given my smoking history and the results, does anyone have any ideas or words of encourgement?
Well I have had multipal nodules followed for 2 plus years - I had a needle biopsy for a nodule that grew from 7 mm to 11 mm and it was negative for cancer.
Im a 48 yr old male.I went to the hospital 2 1/2 years ago for chest pain and had an xray.The doctor at the ER told me that the xray showed nodules in my lungs.He tolod me to contact my PCP right away.So i did.I had a ct done and they found 5 nodules ranging from 3cm to 5cm.I had another ct 6 months later and they were the same , np change.I just had the third ct scan and the PCP told me that the radiologist revealed that its a form of lung cancer, but that they have not changed since the last ct.Im sooo confused.Im very worried.First im told that if theres no change i shouldnt worry and then my PCP tells me that im high risk for cancer.I just changed my PCP.I will request to see a pulmonologist and ultimately request a biopsy.
Hi - are you sure your nodules are 3 - 5 cm - or do you mean 3 -  5 mm.  Big difference between CM & MM .  They cannot say you have a malignancy without a  biopsy!...  I have multi-focual nodules and mine changed from 7 mm to 11 mm.  The radiologist said it was a speculed nodule - very suspicious for cancer - so I had a needle biopsy.  They took two samples of the 11 mm nodule and there is NO cancer!  So unless the biopsy shows there is a true cancer - you cannot speculate that it is cancer.  Do what I did - have the needle biopsy - much easier than "VATS".  Let me know what your doctor says and I would not worry about something that may turn out to be nothing!....  Julie
I am a 28 yr old woman. Smoker since I was 13 yrs old but quit July 22nd 2011. It all started in since I was pregnant with my oldest son in 2008 I had chest pains and shortness of breath. Then it happen again while I was pregnant with my second son in 2009. And then again recently in January 2011 and July 2011.
In July 19th 2011, I went to the emegrency room then put me on the ECG machine over night and then they told me to do chest x-rays. They told me they found 2 nodules in my right lung only. They told me they would send me to do a CT Scan on me right away.
A week later, I went for a CT Scan and still they didnt know what they were in my lung. So they sent me somewhere to see a specialist of the lung.
So, I had an appt within a week. I went and she told me that my nodules were 2.3 cm and the other one was 2.6 cm.... I seen it with my own eyes. She didnt know what they were either it could be bunch of stuff she wasnt ruling out anything even lung cancer. She told me I would have to do a biopsy.
So within in a week in Aug 27th 2011 I did the lung biopsy. WOW that is very painful and sore. I couldnt move for 45 mins. I was awake. So the surgeon told me that I would have my results in 7-10 days but its has been 3 weeks now and I still havent heard anything yet from my family doctor!!!!!
thanks for reading my comment
I called my doctor up the next day after my biopsy and had him call the pathologist to get my test results.  He called me back and let me know that the nodule was negative for cancer.  I guess if no one has been in touch with you in 3 weeks you must be OK.  I have had shortness of breath since I was in my 20's, but didn't have a CT Scan until I was in my 50's.  If you want to be sure - call your doctor and demand the results of your biopsy!  Good luck and I hope all is well with you! Julie
I just found out I have a 5mm nodule on my right lower lobe.  Will be rescanned in December.  I am trying to deal with this rationally, but I am terrified.
I had a CT scan following a resection of adenocarcinoma colon cancer stage 1. they found multiple ground glass nodules. 1 is 8mm. I need to go back in November (3 months after first scan) to see if there are any changes.
My oncologist says not to worry about it.. he has lung nodules, too..
I am freaking out.. It is all I can think about now..

Were your nodules noncalcified?  My husband has 3 noncalcified nodules ranging from 6 mm to 10 mm that showed up on a chest x-ray.  These nodules were not present (or not noted) on a PET scan he had last November.  Also, would this size be considered small?

Thank you for any information you can give me.

I have a 5mm nodule on my right lower lobe as well. It was found in March and I just had another scan done today to see if it grew or if more nodules showed up.  The waiting was not fun but it went by quick. I will post my results when I get them. Hopefully it is nothing.
Just wanted  to let everyone know that today is my 2 year scan. If there is no change this should be my last scan. As many of you today i am feeling very nervous and anxious. For the past 2 years it has not been easy to get through the waiting and constant uncertainty. As soon as the results are in  i will post them here. God bless, and for me prayer and my faith has helped get me get through alot of though times during the past 2 years.
Congratulations on your great CT results.  I am so very happy for you.  It is a life full of stress and anxiety when you are told they will watch and wait for a full 2 years!  God bless you too!  Julie.
Hi!  Yes my nodules were all non-calcified, multi-focal. Mine did happen to grow 4 mm in 2 years.  And it was stressful to have to go through a needle biopsy since they doctor's suspected cancer.  It was such good news to find out it was not cancer.  I also was being followed for 2 years.  On the PET scan the SUV on the 11 mm nodule was 0.7.  And yes 6 - 10 mm nodules are very small - I think anything under 2 cc 20 mm is still considered small.  By the way - why did your husband have a PET Scan done last year.  Has he had another PET scan since the nodules were diagnosed.  I wish you the best!
Hello all, as promised i got my results today and i am so happy to report that after 2 years of anxiety and stressful times there has no been NO CHANGE. Everything is awesome......
The report also mentions that the nodules that were detected 2 years ago are very indicative of lympnoides and there has been absolutely n change. So no more followups for me and no more worries. I really wanted to take the time to post as this place which for the past 2 years has helped me so much in getting through this. Also with the help of God and prayers, and an exceptional wife i was able to get through all of this. I also promise to each one of you that i will have you all in my prayers. God bless you all

Frank

Hi Frank,  This is so weird.  2 years ago I was having problems breathing, SOB with anything I did, walking, talking etc.  I was diagnosed with anxiety attacks however I had no anxiety just SOB.  Now since then all these ground glass nodules are showing up.  I am a past smoker and todate I only have a couple puffs here and there.  I also have a small amount od emphezema now.  I just need suggestions and is there anyone else out there with this same problem who has ended up with a cancer diagnosis.  

My thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Linda
Hi Linda - My original CT Scan was multi-focal nodules with ground glass.  And no I did not end up with cancer with the original diagnosis.  By the way how old are you?  You have mild emphysema?  Also had anxiety attacks (or so they said) for about 30 years.  How did you get diagnosed with ground glass>?  CT Scan?

Frank Is home free with his CT Scans and I am so happy for him!  

Hugs - Julie
Hi Smurfy16187, i know how scary all this can be. I have been through all possible emotions in the past 2 years. When i first found out that i had these nodules, all i could think about was the nodules and nothing else. I had so much anxiety over these darn nodules. I will share my story, which only my wife a a few very close family members know about.
I had gone to the emergency because i was coughing up blood.I went though X-rays,ct scan (this is when they found the nodules), bronchoscopy,gastroscopy,laryngoscopy and so many other exams because no doctor or specialist was able to find out where all the blood was coming from.This went on for 6 months......Through all this i had to be followed for the nodules which were found from the start. My lung specialist  kept reassuring me that they were nothing and that the nodules were nothing to worry about, and that the blood was definitely not coming from the lungs. The lung specialist just wanted to do follow up scans to follow protocol for nodules. Obviously it turned out to be nothing (lymphoid which looked like nodules). My 3 nodules they were 3 and 4 mm in size and triangular in shape. Now during all this time all i could do is research nodules on the internet (thinking back what a mistake, and even the lung specialist told me not to) as it all pointed to the worst. The only thing that i truly learned about nodules (especially small ones) is that it truly is in the vast majority of cases NOTHING.....During my 2 years of followup i met so many people at the hospital that were being followed for nodules and the vast majority of these nodules were found by accident. The nurse at the lung specialist dept. told me that they followed over 100 people per month for lung nodules. So why i am i telling you all this, well i promised myself that when all this would be over, that i would keep coming back to this wonderfull little forum and even chat with people going through all this( which if you want let me know) to share my experience so that people  feel more reassured and not just hear it from doctors and find confusing information from the internet. So if i was in your place i would continue the followups as required keeping in mind that the vast majority of the times these darn nodules are nothing. Please give up the smoking completely. i had smoked for a period of about 8 years, and it has been 3 years now that i have been smoke free :-) and will never touch a damm smoke again. i truly believe that this was God's way of telling me to wake up (but that is another discussion on it s own).

Julieben Thank you so much for your kind words it nice to see how many people actually do care :-) ..... Oh by the way diagnosis for the coughing up of the blood after 6 Months believe it or not BLEEDING GUMS and this was found by my wife and confirmed and taken care of by my dentist.
Just found this site and it's oh so comforting.  I just found out I have one 10mm " pre vascular anterior mediastinal nodule".  From what I'm reading, the size and the fact that there's only 1 sounds a little more ominous though I had2CT scans 2 months apart and it hasn't grown.  As most of the comments on here are about smaller and more nodules, I would sure appreciate anyone's comments who have similar stats.
Thank you for coming back to the site even though everything turned out well.  So many never come back after all is well.  We need people like you to reinforce that when we are being watched for nodules we need to realize it is not cancer the majority of times!  Glad to hear that your bleeding was from your gums - which is fixable!  Keep coming back - your an inspiration to all of us.  Thanks again!
10 mm is small.  and no change in 2 months is very good news!  so when do you get your next CT Scan done.  I hope you don't spend 2 years worrying like I did.  !!!   Keep us posted.  Julie
Hi, thank you for answering me.  I never had anxiety attacks (as they called them) until last year and they went away.  I ended up with really bad upper respiratory infections last year that I just couldn't shake.  Ground glass densities started showing up with in this year and the nodules have been there for approximately 1 1/2 years.  I do have mild emphezma.  Just kind of lost as I can never get a straight answer.  I do have a second opinion this Wednesday.  Everyone is telling me I need a biopsy since the newest one grew so fast.  Thanks for listening.  Linda
Frank thank you so much for your input, means alot that you shared it with me, a perfect stranger in need of answers.  I am glad I have you and your wife to talk with about this.  I am really trying to stay with a positive outlook and keep thinking the best.  I will definately keep in touch and hope you both will also.

Linda
Hi Linda - how fast did the nodule grow?  How many CT Scans have you had in the past year and a half?  Are you seeing a Pulmonary doctor?  Good to hear you are seeing another doctor for a 2nd opinion.  I wish you the best...Julie
Thanks for the info.  I have an appt next week with a pulmonologist who I assume will order a PET scan.  I'm staying on top of this, believe me!  As everyone before me, I'm a nervous wreck and am clinging to every word of encouragement that I can get!  Being an ex smoker, over 60 and having recent breathing problems is making me extra scared....Becky