Respiratory Disorders Community
Lung Nodules?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 201-400 comments:
Oh OK a biopsy.  Make sure they give you conscious sedation.  I was fully awake but whatever they put in the IV relieved any pain or anxiety.  The only thing is my lung collapsed and they had to insert this thing for a few days until my lung inflatted.  I got the biopsy results the next day.  I called the radiation oncologist and he had already had the results faxed to him.  Hopefully it is nothing and you can just put this all behind out.  Your in my prayers and thoughts.  Hugs, Julie

What ended up happening with your mom?  Sounds just like me-I have a 1.6 cm in the upper left lobe, and another one that is .8 and 2 others that are smaller than that.  I have never smoked even a puff of a cigarette so my first pulmonologist was playing the waiting game with me having me come back every 6 months for another CScan.  I had my 2nd one a few weeks ago, and that one showed 4 nodules instead of the 2 I had the first time.  He didn't even tell me that at my appointment!  He just said to come back again in 6 months for another CScan.  I only found out I had more when I picked up a copy of the radiology report!  

The larger one has an irregular border too and they are non calcified.  I heard calcified is a good thing and usually means benign so because of both of those things, I decided to get a 2nd opinion from a top lung nodule doctor here in Louisville, Ky.  I met with her last week and she said because I have never smoked, it would be rare that it is lung cancer but of course it is possible.  She said why keep waiting 6 months because I defintely have something wrong, she just isn't sure what yet but we need to get going with treating whatever it is.  So she did extensive bloodwork last week and I am supposed to get those results back tomorrow.  She said if the bloodwork comes back okay and doesn't show any of those fungal diseases, then she will want to do a biopsy thru my bronchial tube to check for cancer cells.  

The reason we found these 7 months ago was because I was having chest pains so I had a chest xray.  My doctor said the chest pains were caused by the nodules.  The waiting game has been annoying, but I am very glad I found a new pulmonologist who is getting to the bottom of this.  Besides the chest pains, the only other symptom I have is that I am tired more.  I still exercise every day and then go about my work day, but I notice after that when I get home in the evening I am exhausted and I have been going to bed early.  

It will be interesting to find to find out what these nodules are!  Let me know what your mom found out.  Oh, my doctor also told me that PetScans will not show cancer until it is a lot larger than the size of these nodules.  It doesn't show early stages.  

Tara
Feeling much better about it now..  The GGO did not show up on the second ct scan... Read the report.  Thank you so much for your caring. I will keep you posted.  
Nice to hear you don't have GGO on your current CT !!! Good news.  Just like me - GGO on my very first CT Scan and the rest of the CTs did not show GGO.  So are you schedule for any more CT Scans in the future.  So glad the news is good - take care and please keep me posted. Hugs, Julie.
Hi Julie,
Thank you for posting the summary about ground glass opacities.  I recently
Had a chest CT which showed ground glass opacity, micronodules and linear densities in my left lung lobe.  I am terrified because everytime I do a Google search with any of these terms I get only serious progressive ill esses with veru little life span remaining.  I am hoping you or someone in this forum has experience to tell me if there is some other possibly non fatal cause for these
Findings.  I have been having worsening shortness of breath and chest pain
For a number of years.  If anyone has information that can help I would very much appreciate hearing from you.  
hello all i am wondering if anyone coule please give me some insite while im waiting to see the lung specialist on the 20th. I am 32 years old have smoked since i was 16 but have recently quit!!! I was diagnosed 9 months ago with cardiomyopathy and went into the er with chest pain they did a ct scan and found multiple centrilobular nodules my bloodwork was alittle off witha high wbc count high absolute lymphoctes low bun/creatinine ration. They reffered me to the lung specialist as i had a ct about 6 months ago and these nodules did not show does anyone know what this possibly could be? I have a family history of multiple different types of cancer.
Sounds like you had a doctor's appointment today.  How did it go?  You have had 2 CT Scans?  Hope all is well. Julie
Hi,,

I just had a TAH hysterectomy in august.  I am so scared they did a full abdominal CT scan and everything looked great except it came back that I had several pulmonary nodules in my lower lungs that were picked up.  I go tomorrow to get a chest CT scan and see a pulmonologist on friday.  I am so scared and could use any reassurance.  I dont have any symptoms, except I do smoke.  My gyn who ordered the tests did not seem overly concerned he said it just needed to be looked into.  I am so scared and lonely :(
Sorry your going through this.  What is your age?  When I originally got diagnosed with nodules in 2009 I did give up smoking within 2 weeks.  I hope you give up smoking too.  Nodules usually are benign especially when you have multiple nodules.  You'll be fine.  Update us after your appointment.  I have had many CT scan in the last 3 years and they still want me to get another CT Scan, but no malignancy has been found for me.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Best wishes.  Julie
Julie20111 thank you for your response.  I am 42 and already on chantix I am quitting for good.  I just got back from the pulmonologist today and he was a major ******* (sorry but he was).  He said it is not lung cancer, well in the fact that it is cancer that has started there. He said it is either met cancer or a fungal infection such as valley fever since until last August I lived in the Desert on the California/Arizona border.  I have now had a full abdominal CT scan and a CTchest scan.  He said wait 2 months have another chest scan.  I asked him if it grows would it still be considered stage1.  He stated that if it had grown it would be considered stage 4 because it means it is coming from another part of the body.  I am so scared and confused.  I mean I just had 2 full scans and nothing else showed up at all.  :(  He took 7 vials of blood so guess wait and see.
Oh my goodness - your right about the doctor; no compassion.  Good choice that you have decided to give up smoking.  I used the nicorette gum.  Sounds like the doctor really scared you. It is probably a fungal infection.  I know when I had my needle biopsy last years there was inflammation and one of the biopsies showed fibrosis, no malignancy, but here I am being told I need more CT Scans.   To top it all off 7 vials of blood, wow.  How many CT Scans of your lung have you had so far (one)?  I was scheduled to have one this month but didn't have it.  I will ask my doctor to get another auth for me to get it done towards the end of the year.  Hang in there - you'll be fine.  Julie
Well what was funny was that I went straight up to my gyn. because the pulmonary dr. stated that when my blood was drawn on 9/12 and my calcium was high and it was negligence on my gyn to not have me in immediately to investigate.  My gyn, is wonderful, compassionate and realizes I suffer from anxiety.  (to give you a little background they found a mass in my uterus in Julym went to biopsy it and could not get into my uterus because of what they said was scar tissue, scheduled me for a D&C and when they got in there they could not whatsoever get any samples, they had to puncture my uterus and the samples they got were not enough. 2 weeks later I had an abdominal hysterectomy,  this all occurred from July 27 to my Hysterectomy on August 28th.) anyways so he knows I have been under stress for some months now.  Well when I told him what he said and that he said my calcium was high and that is a marker for cancer, my Gyn told me to go home dont worry he would get to the bottom of this because my calcium was 11.5 and the highest it should be is 10.5, but that i had just gone through 2 major surgeries and back in July when they tested it, it was normal.  So I went home and low and behold yesterday at 4pm the director of the pulmonology dept from the Hospital called me.  He apologized profusely for the way I was treated and said that he and my Gyn had the lab put a stat on my labs.  Except for the ones that had to be sent out to test for fungal infections he stated that my calcium was in a normal range, my white blood cell count was normal, my liver panel came back perfectly fine and that I tested negative for lupus.  He told me that he would be the one seeing me in November and not to worry when he got the fungal infection reports back he would either write me a letter or call and to try not to worry, because as far as he was concerned I was healthy.  He said he went over both scans himself and except for 5 nodules that are under 1 cm each he saw nothing in either scan and neither did the 2 radiologists.  The Dr. I did see friday admitted he said that to me about if it was cancer elsewhere in 2 months there would be no hope.  I was shocked that my gyn went to all the trouble for me but feel very blessed that he did.  So now I am going to try and put it out of my mind and go back November 21st for another scan without contrast and I will be getting the results the same day.  I am hoping they are right that it is not cancer of the lungs, they said that much they could tell and with all the other tests coming back negative the likelihood of having it elsewhere was not likely.  I think I lived in the desert and probably got valley fever or another type of fungal infection.  He told me they were to small to biopsy without actually going in and cutting me open.  So for now I am going to concentrate on healing from my hysterectomy and try not to worry.
Wow you actually got a phone call and an apology.  Your deserved it!  Why did you have the hysterectomy done?  I had a fibroid in my uterus and had it removed in 2009.  That is when they found all those nodules for me.   The nodule needs to be 1 cm (10 mm) in order to biopsy it.  Listen to the doctor, relax and enjoy life and don't worry about it.  Glad to hear that your calcium is now within normal range and everything was normal.  I have lived on the west coast but I feel I probably had somethng invade my lungs when I was on the east coast, because I used to go on the bikes in the gym when I was in my 20's and be out of breath within 2 minutes, so I feel I have had long term lung problems.  It is such a good thing that you received a call back from the doctor to ease your mind.  Happy Sunday!
Hi every one my name is tina, i have read alot of your problems and im so still confused..I had broken ribs before had alot of surgeries most resent was an electic stim inplant in my spine for degernative disc,spinal stenoisis,and artheritis...And prior to this had a biopsy dont on the pancreas,and it was positive for arcenocarsenomia,well had the tail and body of pancreas removed and sleen,then they sent that off and it was negitive???? dont understand that either there is no history of a biopsy that was positive then turn out neg??? well now i am a server diabetic and uncontroled insulin 5 times a day and looking into a insulin pump,...in the mean time 2 months ago had problems breathing and chest pain,all test came back fine until they did a cath then i ended up with 3 stints in my heart....I know never ending..!!!! well now still finding it hard to breath and was coughing alot done a ct thought i had a pulminary emolisum but wasnt.. they found 16mm lymphnodes all gathered together and a 7mm nodule 32mm nodule and multiple in both lungs,but yet in my 2010 i only had one 4mm and a very tiny one????? im so tired of all this by now..seeing a pulminologis and now on 2 inhalers and cough med with codine...ontop of 14 other meds.. i have these nodules in my bowl and in my breast and in my thyroid,and now my lungs????im very scared my daughter seems to think it was cancer in the pancreas and now it is every where else????? SCARED......
Hi Tina:  Wow you have been through alot.  Your saying that they took part of your pancreas and afterward said that the biopsy was negative?  Did you get copies of your biopsy results? How could it of originally come back positive and then go to negative?  Probably if you had part of your pancreas removed it would account for your being a severe diabetic now.  Are you seeing a specialist?  Hope to hear from you.  Hugs, Julie
I am going through pretty much the same thing.  I am scheduled for my hysterectomy in a little over three weeks.  I saw my Primary dr due to some upper right quadrant discomfort I have had for a few years.  Sonogram was fine but she decided to do the Ct scan just to be sure.  All abdominal was fine but they noted 2 non-calcified nodules on my right lung...one in the lower lobe that is 3.5mm and one in mid lobe that is 6mm.  I had follow up CT today on my chest, but of course don't have results.  I have been a smoker unfortunately for about 20 years and am 40 now.  I am terrified.  I am guessing from what I am reading that most people that find out on ab CT that they have these nodules end up finding more on the chest CT.  I am absolutely losing my mind with worry.  One problem always seems to lead to another!
Sorry your going through this.  I agree with you that the fear and worry is tremendous.  My cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar have all spiked since I have been monitored for lung nodules in 2009.  It has affected my health in many negative ways, including anxiety/panic attacks from the worry.  They need a better way of diagnosing these nodules! This wait and see is causing us a lot of unnecessary stress and our physical health is suffering in the meantime.  I hope you give up smoking.  I did within a week of learing about my nodules.  Let us know how it goes, and your probably fine, but I hear you about the worry!  Take care, Julie.
The anxiety I am feeling is off the charts.  I am already a bit of a hypochondriac and I suffer with anxiety disorder.  The beginning of the year I had a dr prescribe several anxiety/depression meds and I had one a very rare side effect with all I took which was all over the body bruising.  Just my luck....a hypochondriac that ends up with real problems!  Anywhoo...I got my results from my chest CT.  It showed that I have a 6mm, a 4mm and a 2.5mm all in the right lung.  The day before the 4mm one showed as 3.5mm on the radiologist's report...so I can see that these small changes must be due to position many times...otherwise mine grew half a mm overnight!  I have an appointment with a pulmonologist on Thursday to look at my films because my radiologist's report is not very detailed at all.  Just says I have these nodules and repeat CT in 3 to 6 months.  I know that is protocol at this point and I am trying to get on with life, but it seems like almost every thought comes back to worry about these nodules in my lungs!  I feel for everyone out there going through this as the unknown is hard to deal with.  So glad that so many people with good results have come back here and posted. I know reading everyone's stories has helped me to relax a little.
That is exactly what they did with me.  CT Scan - another one in 3 - 6 months. I had 3 in one year and then one the end of the 2nd year.  Your right - it depends on what position you are in when you get the CT Scan; different positions may show a difference in the mm size of the nodule.  I had all three the first year partially sitting up.  then I got new insurance and went to a different facility where I was totally laying down.  That is when my nodule went from 7mm to 11mm and I had the needle biopsy done.  Hope you'll be able to put the worry behind you while your waiting for the next CT Scan.  You take care.  Julie
I am new to this board and I would really appreciate any/all input as this whole situation is making me so scared.
I am 47/female with past history of smoking. (abt 25 years). Stopped nearly three years ago. Have no shortness of breath, no pain, wheezing, etc. (thankfully)
In may 2012 I had a CT with contrast of abdomen/pelvis, for some bowel problems. It showed I had diverticulosis but also it showed that there was a 3mm nodule in right lower lobe and a 2mm nodule in left lung base.
Went to see pulmonologist told me to get a CT of Chest without contrast in 6 months. I recently went October 2012
for CT. This time it showed there were multiple noncalcified nodules (12 to be exact). Sizes range from 2mm-7mm.
Mainly in mid to lower lung zones. No mass or consolidation is evident. Central airways are widely patent and there are no suspicious os serous lesions.
IMPRESSION: (as per radiologist) - Multiple tiny bilateral pulmonary nodules. 3-6 month follow-up is suggested. Mild emphysema.
My pulmonologist said not to worry, but I am scared! He told me the reason why they seen more because this was a full chest CT, the one I took before was below (abdomen/pelvis), which makes sense but why are there so many and Non calcified? He tells me he wants me to get another CT done in 6 months. I'm already freaking out, I'm thinking shouldn't I go sooner, like in 3 months? He tells me he's not concerned and explained to me like this, it could be like if you have a scar on your hand and it doesn't go away, it's just a scar. I thought only calcified nodules are leftover scars. He also says this is common, still something we want to keep an eye on, but reassures me that its fine.
Any thoughts/ suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for this long post.
Welcome to the club!  Multiple nodules are usually benign.  I have lots of nodules - they did not tell me how many - just that I multiple nodules and mine are non-calcified too.  As you may have read in my prior comments in April it will be 4 years for me.  Even after a needle biopsy they still want more CT Scans!  Glad you quit smoking and you only have mild emphysema - I have moderate.  But I have been out of breath during exercise for about 30 years now!  So I probably began with emphysema in my 20"s but just wasn't tested for it.  I know your going to worry even if I tell you that your probably alright, because that is what happened to me!  Like I have been saying - they have to come up with a better way to  test us so they don't tell us to wait 3 months, or 6 months - 9 months or a year.  Because the stress of worry is going to affect all of us adversly even though we are probably OK, but in the back of our minds we say - what if?  Good luck and please keep me posted.  and if you find the secret to relaxing and not worrying please share it with me.  Hugs, Julie  
Thanks so much Julie for your kind words of wisdom.
I am really trying to get a grip on this, it's just so worrisome and I become so neurotic. Reading too much on the Internet can drive you insane.
But being on,this forum is a way to vent and offer and receive support so I'm glad I found it and glad I can talk to you and others.
Shelly
Yes Shelly the internet can drive us crazy.  Your nodules being so small - all being 7 mm and under is good.  This is what the doctors have been instructed to do with nodules - check em - check em and check em - via CT Scan.  I always got a copy of my CT Scans for comparison.  I think after your next CT Scan in 6 months your anxiety - stress level should go down.  I was a total basket case the first 6 months after my first CT Scan in 2009.  I worry anyway and the internet made things worse - but one doctor on the internet did tell me that since there were multiple nodules in both lungs it was probably benign.  Well enjoy your weekend. Maybe get a meditation CD to listen to at night, I put a meditation CD on when my mind is working overtime and it really helps put me to sleep.   Hugs, Julie

I know EXACTLY how you feel Sookiesmiles, I have multiple nodules on each of my lungs, that was just told to me.
I initially went in for a CT of abdomen/pelvis back in May of this year and report came back I had diverticulosis but they had seen a2mm nodule and a 3mm nodule in lungs (one in each). I was concerned and thought what?
Next thing I know I go see pulmonologist n he tells me to wait 6 months and then he wants me to take a Chest CT.
So October I go and report comes back that now I have 12 nodules in both lungs ranging from size 2mm-7mm and mild emphysema.  I was like,OMG for real?  And I'm so neurotic to begin with, now with this I'm saying to the doctor what next, he tells me not to get nervous, and of course I'm totally worried. But he wants me to come back in 6 months for another CT. He tells me this is common but still must be followed up on. I have a breath test I have to take next week, which is fairly simple, but other than that I guess it's the wait and see approach. But that's driving me nuts.
As I've explained to Julie, the anxiety is terrible and so bad for anyone's health and well-being.
So coming on this board is a release. We just gotta think positive and stay relaxed, not get so crazy. I'm trying to distract myself but it does pop back in my head, but I got to keep moving along. And you do too.
Remember we're here for support for each other so stay POSITIVE. I will try too..

I think a meditation CD is a great idea!
I also think the more we think about it, we're just wasting our energy and so I'm trying to focus on other things ( but I must admit , I do get sidetracked sometimes)
We're expecting a big storm here in NYC area, so hoping all will be well.
Happy Halloween
I hope the storm that is expected to hit the NY area is side tracked and goes towards the Atlantic Ocean.  Everyone on the east coast is in my prayers.   I am on the west coast and took a ride earlier and it is such a beautiful evening.  I had to turn the air conditioning on for awhile.  It is now about 70 degrees and I am thankful for this beutiful day.

Let's all try to think positive and not worry.  My meditation CD really does help me, but I probably had to listen to it at bedtime for about a month before I started to relax.  I am listening to "I Accept" by **** & Tara Sutphen.  Been listening to their meditation for about 30 years, got sidetracked for a few years and stopped listening and then a couple of years ago I started listening at night to the CD, and I am usually asleep before the CD is over.  It is better to fall asleep since it works on our subconscious mind.  It helps me with these negative feelings I get and I start to feel more positive and happy:)

Happy Halloween.
Take care, Julie.
I recently went to my dr. I was having long lasting cough, wheezing, pain in left shoulder and over left lung in back. Dr ordered a Chest Xray done that day and a chest CT non contrast for a few days later. When I went back 5 days after the Ct she said I needed to quit smoking immediately!  (I quit 6 yrs earlier/) I was then told they had found a Nodule and that a repeat CT of chest would be done in 6 moths, I am afraid to wait 6 months. Is it standard to wait 6 moths, or should I get one at 3 moths? When I was checking out at clinic I looked down on my paperwork and she had written and circled, Left Lung Mass, well thats all that sticks out in my mind. My left shoulder and back area around left lung are still sore, I have a "whistle" to my breathing when it is labored.
I also have an 8-9 mm nodule in my lung. There are also some smaller ones. I don't know what they are (CT scanning has been done). I have many diseases. I am not able to read all the posts here, because I am tired. Just now I have eg.  atrial fibrillaltion and possibly Norovirus.
Just wanted to say hi to everyone.  I am the one who originally was diagnosed with a lung nodule in 2009 and spent 2 long years stressed out!  My cholesterol went haywire, now I have become a diabetic!  I just didn't care for those years - from the way the doctors acted I had figured I had lung cancer and was dying anyway so why not eat and get stressed!  Now I am trying to get my cholesterol down and my blood sugar down.  How is everyone else doing?
Hi Shelly,

I am new to this forum. I noticed that your case is pretty similar to mine.I also have 5 noncalcified nodules on both lungs 3 to 7 mm that they were incidental on a routine coronary angiogram CT that I had on last October, for my heart and the arteries. I am 47 years old male, 30 years smoker with no symptoms at all, in very good health. The scan showed two noncalcified nodules on the right medium lobe 7 and 4 mm. The cardiologist requested another CT focused on the lungs after 3 months which I had on last January and the results were total of 5 nodules. Right lung 7mm and 5 mm in the medium lobe. Another 5 mm at the peripheral right lower lobe and two pleural based at the left lower lobe 4 and 3 mm. Cardiologist sent me to a pulmonary specialist that requested another CT after 3 months. My next CT is scheduled for April 15th. The radiologist's impression, "Multifocal noncalcified pulmonary parenchymal nodules. Although these may be post inflammatory, neoplastic involvement cannot be definitively ruled out. Follow up CT in 3-6 months." The Pulmonary doctor told me, he is pretty sure that they are benign but when I asked him what if on the next CT these nodules get bigger he answered, then I will worry. I had blood tests for TB, complete blood cell count, Coccidioides blood test, all negative and normal. Breathing test, normal. I will see him next Thursday to have a discussion for all of these tests.
I am worried. I have an 11 year old daughter and I feel guilty for all of these years of smoking but you know how it is. When you smoke you don't think it can come to you too. I know how everybody feels with these incidental findings. I am anxious and April 15th feels so long to wait. I obtained a copy of my CT scans to use it for comparison and second opinion. I showed them to a cardiothoracic surgery doctor friend of mine and he told me there is nothing that we can do at this point because they are sub centimeter. Just monitoring for growth with CTs and we go from there. I will keep you informed of my results.
Hello everyone,
im a 31yo guy from Italy.
As many of you i am glad i found this forum. After have had some sympthoms which i was relating to my lungs ( even after a Xray came out all clear)i insisted for a CT scan. Just last wednesday they told me they found 2 nodules, both on the upper part on my lungs: one on the left and one on the right. They are 5mm and 7 mm in size.
Ive seen a pneumologist straight away who at the beginning, after having had a look at my scan for half n hour, suggested a TB. But unfortunately the Mantaux test he did on me turned out to be negative. While waiting for the TB test result i had a look online and to me looked like all the pieces of a puzzle (symptoms over the past 7 years) had found their place. I was so hopefull it was TB but it wasnt :(.
At the moment the truth is those two nodules are there...I dont kn ow what to do...Im having the worst time of my life...even in the pneumologist told me not to worry. He said theres no way to reach them and .
Next wednesday a bronchoscopy is scheduled...he said he will pick up some mucus and made tests on it...I am scared to death he will find something else...something that maybe the CT scan hasnt seen...Is this possible? Didnt even found the strenght to tell my family about this...At the moment i only have the support of my friends...They try to calm me down...but its hard...I am glad i insisted to get the CT done...after the bronchoscopy another CT is scheduled in 3 months time...It all seems so unreal to me...all that i am going through...I am so scared of these tests!!! I hope everything will go well but i am very negative...I had a cough that is gone 20 days ago...and while i had it i had some little blood spot in my saliva...which a laryncoschopy found coming from my laringx ...But what if it was not? if there is a huge mass in my bronchus the ct scan hasnt found ? I know this is unrealistic but ...at the moment all the negative thoughts are onto me!!!!
Hello Dino,
we have exactly the same number of nodules and the same size.
Apparently the thing that they are more than one gives some hope they showed up after an inflammatory process...
I keep my finger crossed for you too
Hi - Hope you find the strength to calm down and not be like me, nervous & anxious.  In 2009 when my nodules were discovered via  CT Scan all my waking moments I did nothing but think the worse!  In the meantime - things are OK, but now I have high blood pressure and the stress has caused my pre-diabetes to turn into full blown diabetes.  I just didn't care anymore after my CT Scan in 2009, ate whatever I wanted, didn't take care of my health because I thought I was dying anyway.  I hope all is negative for you too!  God bless, Julie
Hi Antoit,

As Julie tells you, you need to calm down and think that these nodules might be nothing more than scar tissue from an infection. You are 31 years old and I am not a doctor or an expert but from the reading that I have done the experts say that at this age is extremely rare a lung cancer even for a heavy smoker. Calm down and let your doctor find what is going on. We all felt like you when we're told for our findings. You are not the only one. We all had and have negative thoughts. We are all scared. Unfortunately we have to wait for those CT scan results every 3 or 6 or 12 months. I know it feels like a century but you need to continue and hope. There is nothing else that you can do right now. This is what I do. I just wait, I read, I do have negative thoughts and I keep myself occupied so I don't think about it all the time. Be with friends but try not to talk continuously for your nodules and talk to your doctor for these symptoms that you have. Don't look on the net for possible causes of these symptoms. Write down these symptoms and any questions that you have and take your notes with you on your next appointment. This is what I will do next Thursday when I see my Pulmonary doctor and I will keep you informed. Honestly I feel lucky somehow that my nodules  were discovered now that they are 7 and 5 mm. I don't know how I would feel if they were discovered when they could be 70 mm...
Thanks Julie for your wishes,
the thing is that, after reading all the comments on here, i feel like the only one that has these small nodules with symptoms-...I would be more relaxed if i was doing ok. On the other hand i also feel worried about the broncoscophy. Does anyone of you know if there are cases where masses were found during a brocoscophe and missed in a previous CT scan? I couldnt find anything about this online...so in away i think it is a good sign. The pneumologist told me this was going to be performed even if the nodules are not reachable. So why does he do it? Even the nurse at the reception told me that a broncoscopy was necessery even before the doctor visited me...It sounded like a standard procedure...Bun havent found anyone with small nodules (and unreachable) that underwent such an invasive test.
I am glad things turned out fine for you. Take care of your health as much as you can...There's a lesson in all this: life's too precious!
You are right Dino,
but to be honest with you i lost any kind of trust i have in doctors.
No one was taking me seriously...7 doctors told me i was overworried and many of them even suggested psicological help. I had to go to the ER and almost beg to get checked! That night they did a chest xray and some basic blood tests and sent me home with an antibiotics. But for me that wasnt enough so i decided to fly back home ( i was living abroad at that time) and get a private CT scan. That's how i fouind it. If i would have listened to the doctors, given that my cough is gone, i would have trusted them and by now i was living happily without knowing what wos going on inside my body. You are right...in a way we are lucky...we found out about our lung condition when it perobably is on a early stage. You know what? i am worried about cancer but at the same time i am worried of how this thing is going to change my life in case everything end up ok. I feel like my life has been put on hold and the thing that i am just 31 makes it even worse. My friends are on that part of the life when they make long term plans...will i ever be able to do that? I feel like these nodules have taken my dreams ( i dont know if this make sense in english...sorry not native speaker here), i feel like even in the best scenario the wait will kill me, will kill all my enthusiasm . How can i even approach someone and make plans together if theres no warranty of what my future is going to be. I am sure it doesnt matter how old we are..it is a drama anyway. Everyone has plans and everyone wants to get the best from life. Probably by getting older your mind gets used year by year that some health problem might show up sooner or later..but at this stage of my life i am surrounded by people that just think their lives have just started so it makes me feel bad and somehow like the unlucky one. Many of my friends reacted in a different way : they want to stay away from this. I understand them in a way..they are young, too young to even help someone else dealing with this kind of thing. Sorry for writing such a long reply...But sometimes writing down what is in our mind is relieving. Anto
No I didn't have a bronsocopy - it would not have reached my nodules.  I had a needle biopsy.  They are probably going to do a biopsy - that is probably why they want to do the bronscopy.  Why don't you get a 2nd opinion before you have the test done,  and maybe have the doctor also explain why he/she is doing this procedure.  Your only 31 - so the odds are that your OK.  Sounds like the doctor is being very cautious.  Usually nodules are watched via CT Scan to see if they grow.  My nodule was 7 mm and 2 years later it was 11 mm - it was large enough for a needle biopsy - so I had it done in 2011 which showed it was beingn.  But even though it was benign - the doctor said I still need to have it watched, never ending, I wish they never found the nodules during a CT Scan for something else.  Wishing you the best, Julie
He said they will take some mucus to get it tested for bacterias as they are not able to reach the nodules. He told me this before the TB test was taken (turned out negative). Now i dont know what they are looking for...New nodules? wouldnt they show up if they were there?
31 is young i know...they were telling me this before the CT lol :) Actually that was why they didnt want me to undergo a CT scan (even after a clear xray).
Julie the thing is that it is rare...i read that too...but right now i feel so unlucky...like i am the one selected to show the entire world that it is rare but not impossible.
I am sorry to hear you are still dealing with CT scans...even after your nodule was fine. This makes me understand that probably we will never get rid of this...Sometimes it just feels like a nightmare ...this is so ureal...
Sorry for being so negative...I'm sure u would also like some nice and releaving words..
Yes, I have been dealing with this for so long that I don't know how to relax.  When my nodules were first diagnosed I was on the internet alot and read so much that I did think I was dying.  They are probably going to do the bronscopy because they can reach your nodules that way?  they were unable to reach my nodules with a bronscopy.  They actually wanted to do the VATS procedure, and I elected to have the needle biopsy when the nodule was at least 1 mm.  It did grow 4 mm in 2 years but proved to be negative.  When are you have the bronscopy done?  I hope all goes well with the procedure and you'll get great news.  Julie
Hey Julie,
unfortunately the doctor already told me they won't be able to reach the nodules. I have to do the broncoscopy tomorrow. I am scared to death.
Apparently the broncoscopy will make us understand if there is any infection ( i think they will get mucus tested) or cancer cells going around my body ( citological test???) who knows.
Since you have been through this for years what do u think about the probabbility these nodules might be metastatic ones? I went through the all the messages and found very little about this.

In my case one thing is sure: i won't lose 3 months with their procedures...in the meanwhile i will push for other tests..I know it might sound stupid...but i really cannot think to wait and see for 2 years...there must be something that can be done----Maybe a Total body CT scan? to see if it actually comes from somewhere else? ...
Let me know how the broncoscopy goes.  I know you are scared but it will be over before you know it.  I think that most small nodules are benign, but once they find the nodules they want to check them for at least 2 years.  I had also had a PET/CT Scan before the lung needle biopsy, and they did did the biopsy after the scan.  I know it is best to get all the procedures over with and not have to wait for 2 years, but with nodules that is the normal procedure - they follow you for at least 2 years.  Later, Julie...Best wishes.
I was reading fast and I am not bright enough to read (fast)... sorry if I overlooked.

I haven't see the word cancer, does that mean the discovery of nodules on/in the lungs is not related to cancer?  I hope it isn't - pleas god.  But given the visibility and medical experience with cancer I'd think that would be recognized by the doctor if it was a concern.

My wife has some nodule activity on her lungs and some in her abdomen where she had surgery for cancer.  The Oncologist watching her cancer condition/cure/treatment spotted the lung nodules and suggested a needle biopsy - but has referred these nodules to a respiratory specialist - this is what brought me to this thread, which I mark for my "watch list".  I will post anything we learn that seems related.  
They are cautious when they find nodules, and since your wife has had cancer they are really being cautious.  How long ago did she have surgery for cancer?  Yes, I had to go to a specialist for my needle biopsy, was almost painless, but my lung collaposed and I was not able to work for about 4 days after the needle biopsy.  I had it done by a Radiation Oncologist.  They gave me the results the next day.  So glad they did since I was a basket case!  I am from the East Coast so I am not sure if there is something in the environment there was make people more prone to nodules.  Let us know how it is going with your wife, she's in my prayers!  Julie
My wife was diagnosed with uterus and ovarian cancer by accident. She was having some pain, she has since a young woman had back problems, and we went to ER.  The usual ER diagnostic detected some suspicious activity in her female organ area - the ER doctor refereed her to specialists who confirmed within a couple of days a high probability of cancer and we spoke with a surgeon in the next couple of days.  She underwent surgery within a week or two, and it would have been sooner but we asked for about a week so she could visit our children in California, a trip already in her plans.  The USA medical system works great, or at least it used to.  This was in 2010 - I don't remember the date, but I'll do remember the chemo which started a couple of months after the surgery ended in March 2011.

Her Oncologist has been keeping a close "eye" on her,and has done more CT scans than we'd like, but that is what detected the lung nodules.  She also has nodules in the stomach area and is going back under chemo starting Friday.  We sure hope she isn't now also coming down with a lung issue.  

Growing old "ain't for sissies" I've been told and am beginning to understand.
Hello Jerry,
i noticed no one mention the word cancer too...One thing i can tell you is that that word is always in my mind. Please keep us updated about your wife health status. I am sure u are of great support for her...In this moment i wish i had a partner too.

finger crossed for all of us
So your wife's surgery was in 2010.  She has been in remission ever since?  Have they done a PET Scan on your wife?  I am praying that her nodules are benign.  My sister had cancer surgery about a year and a half ago and everytime anything hurts she fears it is cancer.  It is tough after a cancer diagnosis.  Are they saying the nodules are malignant without a biopsy?  I would imagine they have done a PET/CT scan on her?  My SUV was 0.8 where the nodules are during my PET Scan about a year and a half ago, right before I had the needle biopsy done.  I still worry because the doctors have told me I still need follow-up and I have received about 6 CT Scan - (maybe more) and the needle biopsy was CT guided, so I have received a lot of radiation too.  And my nodules were found during testing for something else, sometimes I wish I would of never had the original CT Scan done, because that is all the doctors cared about was my lungs!  I had blood pressure problems - cholesterol was going thru the roof, blood sugar was up, but the doctors didn't really address anything during my visits except my nodules.  Your so right growing old is not for sissies!

And Antoit - I think your test is today.  Please let me know how the testing went and how your doing.

Take care everyone,  Julie
Hi Anto,

I think your bronchoscope is today. I wish you have good news. You are very stressed out and anxious. Nodules don't mean only cancer. I am hoping they are scars from a pneumonia that I had 5 years ago. Good luck,

Dino
Hi Julie,

did you have any chest pain all of this time, especially in the location of a nodule? Just curious, because I had a pneumonia 5 years ago and the my big one (7mm) is at the area where the pneumonia was. Since they discovered the nodules I had a light, very light burning sensation when I smoked. It is been almost three weeks that I quitted.Now I feel it sometimes when I stretch. It might be my idea but I am pretty sure is there. it comes and goes.
My wife has not had a PET scan, but is scheduled for a needle biopsy on Friday.  This us under the direction of the respirator (forget the specialty name, and hope I don't learn it from use) doctor.  The Oncologist is taking Chemo action on the nodule activity in the abdomen area, and is doing it without any cancer confirmation beyond the CT.  We don't take either CT scans or Chemo as good for "Just in case" both have long term side effects.  I'll try to figure it out, my wife may have a better understanding of what the doctor said on the CT readout to which I was present.  I think I tend to listen for good news, had as it is sometimes to find, and thus misplace some of the not-so-good details.

I left you both a "Note" at your profile pages.  
Hello everyone,
today i had my broncoscopy done. I had bad time while doing it...not for the broncoscopy itself but because it made me realise that something bigger than me is going on in my life. Luckily the doctor who performed it couldnt see anything. The report sais the broncoscopy is negative. But now the worse seems yet to come. The cytological test results. I am not sure for how long i am going to wait to get these results. Probably around 6 days.

The thing that shocked me was that when i met the doctor for the report he told me that before the broncoscopy he had another look at the CT scan on a bigger screen this time and guess what?...he couldnt find the two nodules described on the scan report (7mm and 5mm)...On the other hand he found another one...in a different area of the lungs (he said it was around 5-6mm) and he doesnt undestand why it has not been reported and the other two ( he said they were no nodules) were reported.

This really makes me going mad! I think tomorrow i will seek a different opinion on this scan. Did anyone else have the same experience? The funny thing is that, while talking to a friend of mine yesterday, i told him that i dont trust doctors anymore..i only trust scans and blood tests.

It seems i have to change my mind about this.

BTW the pneumologist who had a look at the scan today has 40years experience!
Thank you for your thought Dino.
Yes, i had my broncoscopy done today...All the details on the message above.

A.
Sorry to read more questions and fears.  

My wife gets her needle biopsy on Friday... but neither she nor her Oncologist (I have not met her pneumologist - is that what the lung specialist is called?) said "broncoscopy or cytological tests, should I be asking the doctor why not?

In my replay three above your last post I was referring to you and Jullie when I said "I left you both a note"... I thought the rely would show the two of you, seems I don't know how to do that with the address field, guess on has to simply type in in the "comment" area. .
Anto,

Is this happening in Italy or in the US? Just curious. My pneumonogist on January told me that there are 5 nodules on the CT and If I search for more I might find few more smaller ones!! I live in a suburban in San Francisco area.
I am happy for your bronchoscope test. Negative is good. 4th day without a cigarette. It is hard after 31 years to fight my addiction. Tomorrow U will see my pneumonoligist to talk for all the tests that I had.
Hey Jerry,
i did reply to you and also sent an invitation for friendship...did u receive it?

I think that the broncoscopy and the cytological test are indicated is particular situations like mine (there were time to time little blood spots in my saliva).

Hi Dino,
this is happening in Rome...
I am trying to understand what's happening: nodules disappearing, another one showing up...all by looking at the same scan.

I read that lung nodules are very common. While all this started i was in england and the doctors didnt want to send me for a CT scan. One of the reason why they do avoid to send people for CT scan is that since CT scans are very sensitive they show up something abnormal in almost 50% of the cases. But most of these abnormalities are benign and as result just frighteen people and this means also a loss for the NHS. So they are very cautius and send people for CT scans only if needed. So to get mine i had to fly back in italy where u can do it privately without medical prescription.
This is to tell you that yes: nodules are scary but probably many people out there have them and they dont even know...My case was slightly different as i had some sympthoms - In England i was told they were nothing to be worried about...but i ve been stubborn and decided to find a way to get  a scan done. One of my sympthom was the cough that disappeared 20 days ago...Sometimes i ask myself " what would have happened if i would have listened to the doctors back in england?"....probably, as the cough is gone, i would have lived happily without knowing...
Are you a smoker? Because coughing might be allergic. Did you just moved to England?  I don't have symptoms either. Mine were incidental findings. My chest X ray was clear. My friend doctor told me that if you get 100 people and you scan them,  70 to 80 they might will have one at least. That's why you need to relax. The only problem now is that we know that we have nodules and we need to continue monitoring them with CTs. We will get invisible from the high radiation. Because the radiation from these CTs is high.
Exactly, hope I am not repeating myself on this thread, CT and other radiation tests take their toll on our health too.  I understand radiation destroys minerals in our system that are essential to the functioning of our immune functions.  I'd have to do some research to recall where I read this, but I recall it was from a medical doctor, not a patient.

Given some of the recent experiences with medical doctors the above may not be viewed more credible because it came from a doctor.

anto:
Do you believe you left me a note on my profile page?  I didn't see it when I checked.. I have not received a "friend" notice either - I can look again.  
So she is scheduled for the needle biopsy this Friday.  Is she getting conscious sedation for the procedure?  I did not feel a thing during the procedure, but I did have collapsed lung which took about 4 or 5 days for me to recover from.  I hope her results are negative!  
She will be sedated and can not drive - we were told it would take all day, but she is also getting a chemo port installed.  I will take her to the hospital and return when she is complete.  Fortunately we live only 3 miles from the hospital - The Hunderdon Medical Center, NJ.  This hospital has a major cancer (non-surgical) center and the chemo center does a wonderful job.  My wife had hoped to return as a volunteer, not as a returning patient.  

From what I read in the recent replies, these lung nodules are very common and usually symptom free - suppose I have some too and just don't know it yet.  Not making this about me, our concern is the nodules detected in my wife.  

I remember years ago, we have lived in the same house over 20 years, when we were thinking of moving to California or one of the lower cost order states and my wife expressed a concern about the medical facilities and looked for a near-by hospital.... oh! how right she was.  We didn't move yet and it was just luck the hospital is nearby, we benefited from basically good health through our middle age years and at age 50 I think neither of us were really planning for old age other than investing for retirement and getting our two children through college.

Jullie, I visited your MedHelp Profile and left a "note" and requested a "friendship" link, this I believe is a passive connection and really just enters you in my friendship list / directory, useful if I wanted to contact you after we have moved away from a interest in a common thread.  I did the same wiht Anto
I will try to look up that link and give you my e-mail address.  Best wishes for your wife tomorrow.  I am on my way out the door to work right now.  :) Julie
best wished for tomorrow. A
Hello everyone, its my first time here and I need advice!!! A week ago I went to see my primary care doctor about some urinary issues.  He thought I had kidney stones so he suggested a CT scan. I had the scan on Monday and the nurse at my primary care doctor called me to say I have no stones, but the radiologist did find a nodule in one of my lungs. It seemed to come out of left field. I am 31 years old, a nonsmoker with no history of lung cancer in my family and no symptoms of lung problems.

The nurse did not tell me the size or if the nodule was calcified, she just said I needed to immediately go back to have another CT scan done specifically for that area. I didn't even get to talk to my doctor.  Needless to say I thought two CT scans  IN THE SAME WEEK sounded really bad for my health, all that radiation can't be good, right??? I haven't made the appt. for that scan, but I did contact a pulmonologist, but he isn't available for appts til next month.

I am driving my poor husband crazy because I am freaking out and stressed. I just don't know what course of action to take. Should I try and call the radiology place to learn more about the nodule? Should I just have the scan now or should I wait to talk to a pulmonologist and see what they say? I'd appreciate any and all advice. The internet is full of so much information and it can be overwhelming, but I was glad to find this place and know that I am not alone in feeling scared and frustrated.

On a related note, my mom seems to think I have developed an aspergilloma (fungal ball) in my lung because the last house I lived in had mold problems.  Has anyone here had their nodule turn out to be the result of a fungal infection?
Just got home from taking my wife to the hospital, a short 3 miles from home.  She said it would be at least 4 hours before she'd be ready to return home.  She also mentioned the (troubling) CT scan and said it was somehow used in the needle biopsy procedure of the lung nodule - I said (shouldn't have) we need to discuss with her doctor (Oncologist central figure for CT scans) how many can she have before the too many line is crossed.  Not a good send-off, but she understood my concern was love and concern not criticism   Hey, I"m a guy and a retired electrical engineer - spent my whole working life being logical.  

** adriana,
Welcome to the Community and this thread - as you can see I too am concerned about the radiation involved in the CT scan.  For a metric I can estimate my wife has had at least 4 in the last year, and two already this year, with yet another today.  I do not know the time/exposure I am sure that depends on what is being done.  If the CT associated with the needle biopsy is to guide/evaluate I fear it is a very high dose instance.

Thanks to all for the good wishes, my hope is the lung issue is not related to her battle with cancer - unrelated to the lung nodule she begins a second round of chemo in a few days - too much going on I forget now when that starts, she has to have a "port" installed first - better than frequent use of IV to tap in chemo.

Your wife is in my prayers.  You know I never asked you about the lung nodules - re: how big.  To do a needle biopsy the nodules should be at least 1 cm.  Do your wife get a copy of her CT report.  One of my lung nodules grew from 7 mm to 11 mm - so they were able to do a needle biopsy.  I will be home for lunch later and hopefully you have news about your wife.  

Adriana - Yes the nodule could be something other than a malignancy.  The CT Scan just lets them know you have a nodule - they cannot usually tell if it is maliginant - usually they watch to see if the nodules change for 2 years.  Everyone goes thru the same protocol usually.  Watch and see.
Congratulations on not smoking!  Glad your tests were negative.  Always good to give up the cigarette.  
Hello Adriana,
I am 31 too...but i used to be a smoker and also ive been symtomatic.
Ive been looking for stuff online lately and i can tell you that simnce you are a no-smoker u should feel pretty safe. Also notice that this was an accidental finding...so no symptoms which is also good news for you. What scares us is the word "nodule" but this can mean so many things!!! I think you should at least push to get to know the size of what they found. Smaller sizes usually give you extra peace of mind. You can be considered  low risk for lung cancer, if they find out u have lung cancer you would be a rare case, very rare. For your peace of mind do not wait for the pneumologist next month...just try to push to get more information..you deserve them. Getting lots of scans can be very harmful at our age...you're right...and it seems there's no way to escape from them. What i suggest you is to do what they tell you to do...maybe they can find out straight away what the nodule is about and you wont need any further scan in the future. Also, please do not listen to nurses, they are not doctors and i do not think they are "allowed" to use the word "urgently"..so just listed to your specialist....U will surely be fine soon!!!
My wife is home from the needle biopsy - she was at the hospital for 5+ hours, wow.  She met me at the hospital door and walked to the car when she saw me drive up.  She is tired but no real problems  and said she was not put "under" so was awake the whole time.  She said they made the entry through her back, so she didn't see what they were doing.  I didn't ask, but assume the "Needle" is indeed a needle, a big one.

She doesn't know when the result s will be known.

She is a past smoker, she quit about 30 years ago, a few years ahead of me quitting.
5hrs...it s more or less the time i spent 2 days ago in the hospital for the broncoscopy....I had the screen almost in front of me but i decided to do not watch...I kept my eyes closed all the time. I was very tense and the nurse was very kind to me holding my hand. She even wiped my tears.
This is to tell you that it has been good your wife didnt get to see what they were doing. I hope both of us will get negative results out of these tests.
finger crossed! A
Glad your wife did so well during the biopsy.  They gave me conscious sedation and I was also awake during the entire procedure, but no pain.  Have her rest up and keep us updated.  Julie
Thank you Julie. 5th day today without a cigarette. I had a difficult day with my doctor yesterday. We met to discuss the results from ghe blood work and the breathing tests which were all normal and negative. My CT is scheduled for April 15th and I asked him what will be the next step if they grow. His answer was, he is pretty sure that they are not malignant so I should not worry about it. So I asked him his impression is based on shape, location, morphology, size. What exactly making him think they are nothing. His answer was that I read stuff on the Internet and I became anxious. I asked him again if they grow what will be the next step. Biopsy for example or what? He said we cannot do biopsy because mine are total of 5 nodules and which one to choose to do the biopsy since we can't do all 5 of them. I asked him if they are cancerous what stage would be? He said since they are on both lungs it will be 4th stage and with some radiation and chemotherapy we can buy you few months and if you want me I can't be more gruesome!!!
I freaked out with his attitude. So I should take his impression without questions and go on with my life like nothing happened.
Today he called to apologize and he told me to continue my life and my plans and let him worry about my nodules but I lost trust on him. I was told that he really good doctor but I am skeptical now if I should continue with him or go with another one.
Thank you for the comforting words. I've been lucky and have never been sick much my whole life except for colds and allergies, so this feels so scary. I am sorry you had a rough time with the broncoscopy, but you got through it and now can hopefully get some answers. Have they given you the results from it yet? I went ahead and called a few more pulmonology specialists until I found the one with the earliest appointment which is Thursday. I just don't want to deal with my regular doctor or his rude, inconsiderate nurse anymore. It sounds strange to say it, but I am almost looking forward to this appointment with the specialist, because I really could not wait a whole month. The anxiety and stress is just too much.

**Jerry_NJ, glad to hear your wife is done with her biopsy and things went well. It is good that you are retired and able to care for her and be available whenever she needs you. My husband is trying to finish up his Master's degree, he graduates in May and he is also working as a student teacher. I have tried not to worry him too much because I know he is so busy and tired with work and school, but I know he wishes he could take time off to take me to appointments, etc.

**Julie, I read back through your comments and saw you practice meditation. Even before this lung nodule business, I was trying to learn to meditate because I suffer from anxiety. I think I will try the guided meditation you recommended.  So it seems the "watch and see" method is pretty common with periodic CT scanning. I was actually trying to start a family before this happened, so I think I may have to put those plans on hold because pregnant women cannot get CT scans. I am really hoping my first appointment with a pulmonologist on Thursday will give me some hope.
I consider my wife and I fortunate to have had generally good (surely not perfect) health throughout our middle age and early senior years.  Of course, now in the senior years we have much less energy and the problems begin to compound.

My wife became pregnant when I was an older (Navy vet) undergraduate, and she had our second when I was in graduate school and working as an engineer.  When an undergrad we didn't have any health insurance but we managed to pay for everything ourselves - her dear mother took care of our daughter after the first year so my wife could go back to work and I could again work part-time and go to school full time.  I'm not trying to make this a story of my life, just recalling as I relate and empathize with your situation.  

I have some interest in meditation, but I have not yet given any close attention.

My wife has some back pain this morning, the local anesthetic has all worn off. Proves the needles were physical in big.
Oh no Dino, Im sorry to hear you had to deal with such a doctor.Maybe he was just trying to make you understand that there are a lot of possibilities . I dont think you can stage a cancer in that way...actually im pretty sure...never heard someone staging it by looking at it.
i perfecty understand what you are going through...same feelings here....
I didnt tell you those stuff because i wanted to be reassuring to you but because it's what ive actually read during these months.
You should wait your apointment on thursday trying not to panic...Statistics are on your side!!! < 1%
Hello, Dino - sounds like the doctor didn't want you asking so many questions.  Doctors can be so cruel ... well, he did realize he overdid it if he apologized to you the next day!

Adriana - yes I have practiced meditation for years now because of my panic/anxiety attacks, so you can imagine how I got when I was told about the nodules!  If it was me - I would have the next CT Scan and then plan on getting pregnant.  I had 3 the first year and no CT until the end of the 2nd year.  

Hi antoit - hope your well

and Jerry - sorry to hear that your wife is having back pain today.  Hopefully it will be just temporary for today.  

Wishing all of you a wonderful weekend!  Julie

Hi. Read your story tonight. Have had ct and have a 4 and 5mm nodule. One in each lung. Desperately worried and hoping to find help and support.on this forum.

Any advice or comments appreciated
My wife had a needle biopsy done on one or more of her lung nodules.  We do not yet received the results.  I will share whatever we learn.  
Hi Andrea - Your nodules are very tiny.  I am starting to think that if a person does not have any symptoms that the doctors are making too much of the nodules.  The problem is a CT Scan cannot tell the difference between a benign nodule or a malignant one.  So many of us have repeated and unnecessary CT Scans.  I am being honest I think I have had 6 CT Scans - but think I have gotten much more radiation than 6 CT Scans, because of the CT/PET I had and the CT guided biopsy  while they did two different biopsies on my nodule, It took them about a half hour while the CT Scan kept running so I wonder how much radiation I received that day?  I feel bad for the younger people who are having these scans.  They have to come with a better way of diagnosing a benign nodule so we don't have to be put through the radiation and the stress of wait and see for years!  I know your nervous, don't blame you, it is very stressful even if the nodule is benign!

Jerry - how is your wife doing?  I am glad her lung didn't collapse during the procedure, like mine did.  Did they give your wife oxygen while they were doing the procedure?  I was told that it would of been better if I would of been given oxygen during the procedure (my lung may not of collapsed).  

How is everyone doing?  

Hope everyone is well.  Take care. Julie  
Hello everyone,
i am still waiting for my citological test result...They told me 10 days...but doday is day 12. In the morning i try to wake up late...so that i dont have to live the anxiety...but it doesnt help as in the early afternoon i get very tense with my phone in my hand waiting for "the call". This is a nightmare and i am starting fearing it is just the start. Tonight i am feeling very depressed...It's a saturday night and cannot stop thinking that just 2 months ago i was enjoying my life with friends talking about feauture plans and stuff. In the meanwhile my life is falling apart. Even my friends do not want me to talk about nodules and tests results. I feel completely lonely and started thinking about all negative stuff. Whoever has a good word for me,....that will be much appreciated!!! A.
The old sayings around here are:
1) No news is good news
2) Bad news travels fast

They may say the same thing, but fact you haven't been contacted suggests to me they didn't find anything critically troubling... never mind have good enough sense to let you know the good news.

I don't what what to recommend other than believe you will get good news and life will get better.

God bless, us all : )
Yes, you are right, it is not going to make a bit of difference feeling anxious about what if.  Doctors need to have more compassion and not leave us hanging for test results.  If the doctor told you 10 days and the test is not there yet, the doctor should of had the courtesy to call you and let you know he/she is still waiting for the results.  Or as you said Jerry - no news is good news, bad news travels fast!  Also,  99% of the things we worry about never happen.  I hope you get your good news about the citological test very soon so your mind can be at ease.  Best wishes to everyone, Julie.
Hi antoit - the above comments was also for you.  Sorry forgot to add your name. Julie
Hi Jerry and Julie, thank you for your words...
we have a similar saying over here. Today is day 13. It is a sunday and therefore i wasnt expecting any news so i felt slightly more relaxed.I tried to enjoy the sunny afternoon we had with some friends. Now that it s getting dark i feel like the countdown has started. I do not practice any religion ( i come from a catholic background tho) but last night felt like praying. I usually do that when i feel there's nothing can help.
Julie you are also right when you say " 99% of the things we worry about never happen"...that's so true. I experienced that in my life and that's why im trying to figure all the way it might happen...Im quite scaramantic.

Thank you again,
A.
Jerry, what about your wife? did you get any news yet?
Tomorrow is Monday.  Why don't you call your doctor for the test results.  I would imagine that if something was wrong you would of received a phone call immediately.  So chances are your tests were all negative.  Enjoy the evening.  It is 10:00 AM for me - Just the start of Sunday, beautiful weather here.  Last night I took a nice walk.  I am from a catholic background too, and found that prayer has been very powerful in my life.  Julie
No word yet on my wife's biopsy - I tend toward optimism, but like 99% of the things we worry about don't happen; no I don't want to connect that thought to my optimism.

I have been fortunate, as has my wife, we've lived to our senior years before our bodies started falling apart.  It is still troubling and hard to deal with, we all live in the "now" regardless of how much history or future we have or might have.  

I was not raised in a religious household, we couldn't afford it (ha, today in the USA folks with a similar lack of financial resources (poor) are given enough government help to have color TV, Internet, cell phone, food, medicine)... sorry I digress.  Religion, I find the older I get the more I miss it... it must be a great help when what is before you is totally out of your control, e.g., growing old.
Another day has passed. This morning i went to the hospital where i had my broncoscopy done to talk to my doctor. He was busy and said that the results were not ready yet. It was a very quick meeting in the corridor...Then i menaged to talk to the main nourse of the pneumology ward ( who manages all the tests results ) who told me that they were not ready yet otherwise i would have been called (in both cases : negative or positive). She said that sometimes it takes longer than 10 days. I spent the rest of the day worrying...I tried to go for a walk but couldnt stop picturing the scene of the news. I felt like a movie director who rehearse the scene again and again ...adding more and more details time to time. Later messages from worried friends started coming....Two of them told me they love me...I couldnt help myself from crying when i read those messages. They suggest i must be strong and stay positive. Why all this is happening? Sometimes i even regret i went for that scan. Maybe sometimes it is better to be stupid, believe the first doctor we meet and try to live without worrying about our own health. These and other thoughts are crossing my mind at the moment. I feel so confused and at the same time so scared I just want my file back
Sorry you haven't gotten good news, I remain optimistic as I am in my wife's case - still no news on her lung biopsy.  

She has started chemo for other reasons last Friday - had the port installed to make the intravenous chemo more of a "plug-an-play" arrangement, same as the last time. Sorry for bringing up cancer in this context, again my wife's chemo is separate from the nodules on her lungs. we wait an hope for good news.

We are all in this together, no matter how much our physical positions separate us on planet Earth, and we all I believe, love each other and "man kind" for all the suffering it has to endure.  

It is times like these I wish I had a strong religious faith.
I am worried they are metastases and I can't get an answer from the Ask a doctor. I'm going out of my mind. Thanks for your answer. Hope you are ok
hi Andrea - metastases ? why metastases?  4 & 5 mm nodule - your probably OK.

I just want everyone to know I have a lung biopsy in 2011 and I called the doctor who ordered the biopsy and had him call the lab for verbal esults the day after my procedure was done.  I got the results within 24 hours.  But my biopsy may have been different?  

Have a wonderful day/evening everyone.   Julie.

Hi Andrea I have had your same worry lately...I dont know why i started thinking they are metastases. I have many moles on my back and i started supposing that everything probably started from there. I went trough all the messages of this thread and found almost no one who get checked by his/her doctor by having a look at other organs to see if there is something somewhere else. They just say wait a certain number of months and see...Why dont they use these months to make further checks that do not involve radiation? I do not understand this standard procedure. Maybe an ecography to the abdomen wouldnt hurt...yes...it will probably not be able to to have a detailed look at all the organs but at least would give an idea of what's going on...There are also many advnced blood test that can give a vague idea of the status of the body and maybe suggest areas of concern for further tests. To be honest to you all i can tell you that so far one of the most important thing i have learned is that we must be the doctors of ourself. If we have a feeling we should investigate and insist. At the same time we should be careful tho...by trying to avoid scans to get peace of mind.

My cytological test is not ready yet...they told me 10 days and today is day 14!!! I kept on walking with no destination all day long while my mind went far with all the negative thoughts. Lucky you julie...24hrs is a very short waiting time...I imagine it felt like eternity for you though.
Yes, the 24 hours sure did feel like an eternity!  I am very anxious and have panic attacks and told the doctor that if it was possible to please call the lab and get a verbal result until they get it in writing.  I did get the verbal and then a few days later picked up the written results.  The doctor knew I was in no position to wait, and to tell you the truth I actually thought the results were going to be bad.  Hope you get your peace of mind soon by getting your results too.  I know the wait is terrible!  I have been there.  Take care, Julie
Please update us, you must have a report by now.  Is this delay typical for the health system in Italy?  I fear that's where the USA is headed with the government takeover of the medical industry which is really getting started this year. It will take several years to take over all aspects - single payer system (tax payer) but it is coming.

That said, still no word for my wife.  She is getting ready now to go to the hospital for a check on her chemo port surgery and her second chemo.  So it is a good time to ask about the lung nodules (not the current chemo subject in her case) biopsy.  The biopsy sample was taken about a week ago - so I already see some of the benefits of our implementation of a NHS.  I'm still learning the jargon, NHS is sometimes used to stand for National Health System. Here we also have the ACA, Affordable Care Act for Obamacare in slang talk.  The "affordable" part isn't yet showing much promise.

Hope you have some good news to share, we will all celebrate and rejoice - good news is always great to hear/read.
Good morning - I am also worred about what Obama Care may do to our country.  We may all just wait and wait for procedures, surgeries and results.  My nephew did his taxes and was told that he would have to start paying for insurance in October 2013, all run by the IRS, how convenient.  Don't want insurance, the IRS will be coming after us.  Well it is Friday :) That is a good thing.  Later, Julie
My wife called from the hospital where she is in today for the second chemo treatment for problems other than the lung nodules.  She said the biopsy is back and positive... cancer.  She seemed upbeat, after all she is in for chemo anyway.  I don't know if the treatment she has already started will also address the lung issue, but we will learn.

So, bad news here.  The only thing I can think of is to try to enjoy everything to the maximum, no more holding back.

We're approaching the age where the high cost of Medicare will likely be addressed by our new NHS review committee, surely as sympathetic as the IRS, on deciding if the old person is worth the high cost procedures, after all it may provide only months of additional life expediency.  In this, replace the Ryan-look-alike pushing granny off the cliff with Nancy doing the pushing.  
Hello Jerry,
I am so sorry to hear that your wife nodules turned to be positive.
The only thing i can tell you is that lately i have been reading a lot about lung nodules as metastasis (as i was supposing mine were metastasis too) and it seems that, if they are small and not primary cancer, it is quite common to get rid of them by undergoing chemo sessions.
I wish i had half of the strenght your wife has to deal with this kind of news.
I am sure that in these cases the right attitude helps a lot.

I havent got my results yet, which is more than wierd. I have been googling " Italy+citological+istological+delay" or stuff like that and found very little...No one complaining about delays...Why did this happen to me? Everyone around me feels it's weird and i dont even know what to reply if anyone asks! They said 10 days for the citological test results ...but on that mucus sample they also made batterical tests which they told me they would have been ready in 6 days...In that case they called me to tell me the results on day 5!!!

In a way since this is becoming so long i kind of found a balance and , in a way, i even got used to this way of spanding the day: waking up late, worring for the results, at night time spend few ours with friends (their company helps a lot), spending the night on the net reading cancer stories or medical researches....

In a way, if compared to the early days, the ones right after the broncoscopy, i feel i am a bit more relaxed...and this scares me! How can i relax..even for few minutes? how can i have a laugh with friends? is this time to feel like that? Maybe God is delaying everything to let me leave some other days in "in peace"...

My mind is already set for the bad news. I already feel like i do not belong anymore to the people who do not have cancer. I am on the other side, where people with cancer are....Maybe i fel a bit more relaxed lately because of that...Maybe i am accepting it already.

I have been thinking a lot lately about life and death. Whatever the result will be this experience have changed me forever.

A.
Thanks for the true empathy you feel because of the threat over your head and that also comes from cancer patients and those close to cancer.  I also appreciate you positive input that small nodules can be beat.  I think that is the attitude of her Oncologist, first he tried hormones (via oral tablets) and when that didn't stop the activity he went to Chemo.  The attitude again is more in the vein that we have to use the heavy weapon to beat the cancer back, but he of course has to maintain a "can do" demeanor to keep the patient as positive as possible.  My wife does worry that this may be the "end"... to which I push back with the arguments,and belief just reviewed above and I'll use your input to help bolster optimism.  She told me tonight her Oncologist thinks this Chemo run may be a short one... we have to wait and see what progress is made.  It is clear no doctor can ever say you are cancer free now, you'll never have cancer again.  It does seem that once cancer is identified life is a series of battles, hopefully with years of remission in between.  I have heard the number 5 years cancer free as the bench mark for being cured.

I sat in with my wife at the end of her first chemo and also did a few times in the first session and can say our hospital cancer center is very upbeat and comfortable.  When there I can look around the chemo lounge and see many others, many much younger, who are fighting the same battle with cancer.  One can hope medical science will someday come up with better tools than chemo, but chemo is much more than those a generation or two back didn't have access to - in fact I don't know the date chemo was first used, I'll look that up.
First of all, so sorry that the nodules your wife has were malignant.  I give her so much credit for dealing with this so well.  I also know they have cyber knife to get rid of some lung cancers.  It targets just the cancer and does not harm the healthy tissue.  You may want to see if she is a candidate for cyber knife.  

Antoit - wow no news yet.  I guess this is normal in Italy? Long delays?  Well maybe you will get good news about your biopsies next week.  May the good Lord bless you all. Always, Julie.
Hi Jerry, it seems you are right about being "cancer free". No doctor is gonna tell someone is cancer free. It is the sad truth. But on the other hand, even if I am pessimistic by nature, I must say that I have read about many many many success stories. Few days ago I read a statement from an oncologist. Basically he was saying that everyone is exposed to cancer and it is inappropriate to tell a patient with cancer history you are cancer free if theres no evidence of cancer anymore, but it is appropriate to tell them your chances of getting cancer, at the moment, are slightly higher than a patient without cancer history. That means that both should worry. That's the aim of science when it comes to cancer: decrease the risk of a patient with a cancer history as closer as possible to the risk of a patient without one. ( hope u understood what I tried to explain- I know my English... Lol).
It is also true that there are many types of cancers and each person affected by it is a different clinical case. I've read of people with bad prognosis getting back on their feet and their lives. Luckily the percentage of these kind of patient is increasing of the 1% each year. At the moment it seems that 50% of the people with a cancer diagnosis get back to their normal lives. In the 70ies this percentage was just 20%.
Thanks Julie, I wish that was normal but it seems it isn't... That's why I panic.
There are many problems in this country but the public and private health system is the only good thing we have. After French one is the best health care system in Europe. On Italian forums no one complains about it... But now I'm getting not just worried but also angry... As in my case whatever charts say the system *****!
Anyway I think I should focus on the results as that's the most important thing. Once I get it whatever happened before will have little importance.
I added you as friend on here... :) wish u a nice week end, a.
Sort of good new, albeit not understood well.

My wife is in to the hospital today for her shots to bolster the white blood cell content given chemo kills them off.  That's not the news.

She came home yesterday from her second chemo treatment (this series) and told me her doctor said to schedule another chemo next week but if she looks "good" or did she say "better" they may skip the 4th treatment.  I asked if she asked him what that means, no she said. Guess I have to go along if I want my questions answered.  She in the past and now starting with the second chemo drives her self to/from the hospital.. I checked is it 4 miles with light traffic if not the "rush hour", it normally isn't the rush hour when she goes.

I'll take the unexplained optimism of her doctor as good news.

As for national health systems, the US appears to be moving to one that will strip much of the high cost of old people from the rolls by denying these high cost services for those over 75.  Yes, if you just stay alive you too will someday be 75, but if you don't have a couple $$ Million (low inflation assumed) you may not last much longer under the changes in Medicare forced by the new USA health care law.  I do not know what any of the European NHS provide for the oldest members of their population, I do understand that there and elsewhere NHS require referrals (approvals) of the primary care doctor before they can see a specialist and  even with that it can take months to get an appointment.

My wife's female organ cancer was discovered in our hospital's emergency room when she complained about back paint.  That was about 2 1/2 years ago. When the ER doctor suspected serious problems she was able to see several specialists and obtain several specialized lab tests in the next 5 days and to see a surgeon and discuss immediate surgery in the next couple of days.  This was all under the USA Medicare system, the "old" system, and a great system..thanks to the many doctors who accept the much reduced payments allowed by Medicare.  I believe most doctors in the USA accept the elderly at the Medicare approved rates... but a few more cuts in those rates, will bring that to a end, and many believe will cut off the supply of new doctors as students will no longer see the cost of becoming a doctor (money, time and effort) is worth it.  I have some idea as my son is a medical doctor in critical care, a field that required 5 years as a resident (one of them as an intern) not the usual 4 years for his field, anesthesiology.  We paid his way through under graduate school, but he ran up about $200.000 in debt to get to where he is now, never mind how much money he didn't make during the time he was running up the debt.
Sounds like your wife is responding well to the chemo!  That is great news.  I also do not know how they handle their health care in Canada or Europe.  I have heard they have end of life drugs so we go quickly.  I will be on Medicare in a few years and so sad I will probably end up with much less than my parents.  I have a friend who scheduled her knee surgery before we have the new health care because she was afraid that she would not be able to have the surgery in a timely manner if at all.  Yes it sounds like us old folks will be put to pasture, and our treatments delayed so long we will be terminal by the time the treatment is approved.  So sad.  And our children and grandchildren do not realize that if they have a long life they will be in the same predictiment as us as they age.  I know when I was young being a senior citizen sounded like an eternity away.

Antoit - I have to go to work for a few hours - and I will look up how to also make you my friend on this site when I get back this afternoon.  I hope your enjoying your weekend. We change our time forward 1 hour this weekend.....like back - do not like forward with the time.   :)
From my old days as an international business/engineer I recall Europe and the USA agree on when to move the clock - could be wrong, the last time I was out of the USA was in, humm... 2006 it may have been, to London..the only time I flew on Virgin Atlantic - I was in coach class and it was like the good old days when coach got good service.  My 6' 6" 240 pound frame however didn't appreciate the normally small seat. I don't recall exactly the numbers, but I'll estimate Business Class was over $6,000 UA RT and coach was perhaps $600 US RT.  The flight from New York to London (tail wind) takes a bit over 6 hours, about the same time as from New York to San Francisco, head wind. Why would I even want to travel BC, even when vouching as a business expense.

Sorry for the side-track, I find it nice to recall good thing rather than health issues - yes, I was in denial myself up to my 60s, I was still a runner at age 67, then my heart went atrial fibrillation and worse... it is under control, so in our house hold we have both cancer and heart disease - hang around and you get old.

I believe I have linked to both of you as MH "Friends".
Hello everyone, The citological test turned out to be negative.
I know that many other tests, scans are on their way but at least for today i want to take this good news and relax.

I will keep you updated about next steps...

a big hug!!! Anto
Good news!!!  You must be relieved.  
I read lots of stuff online saying multiple nodules are often mets but I feel fine. I have no symptoms of a primary tumour. Im angry this information is out there and its scary. I spoke to an oncolovist on justanswer who was quite reassuring. E
please private message me if you can. We can share information. My nodules are 4 mm and 5 mm one each lung. We are in the same boat

Google says multiple nodules are usually mets. I have spoken to an oncology radiation dr who says this is not true. Im so confused. Please send private message if you can. I need help and advice how to get through this
Good morning Andrea:  I will be going to work soon, but will private message you tonight.  I would believe the radiation oncologist.  Spring is almost here and the weather is great!  Enjoy your day.  

I am a bit sorry to see the nodule experience go "private".. it is a benefit to many readers when information is posted.

For my (wife's) case, her Oncologist believes she is making great progress on the confirmed cancerous lung nodules and suspected other nodules in her body related to past cancer.  She has had two chemo sessions, the first over 2 hours long as it was a series of treatments to one that was quite short in time.  Her doctor is talking about one more and then maybe skipping a week.  I think he is doing a cancer-marker blood test each week and is seeing improvements already.

We can all hope break-through curative treatments will soon be uncovered, it does appear that chemo is capable of knocking back if not out, active cancer cells.  Of course there are many cases in which chemo has resulted in many years of cancer free life.  

As I type, and being already an old person, I wonder if I have any active cancer in my body... I'll try not to worry about it. When I get my annual physical next week I am sure it will not include a CT or X-Ray of my lungs nor will it include a cancer-marker blood test.  So, who knows?  

Try to be positive and take each not in pain as a blessing, something I'm still working on.
Hi Andrea, to be honest with you I don't have symptoms of a primary cancer either... I had a light cough at the beginning of this year that lasted longer than usual. I got scared because of some blood in my sputum... Few weeks ago ( because of the blood) the pneumologist suggested a broncoscopy. During the broncoscopy ( since my nodules are not easily reachable) what they did was put "water" in my lungs, leave it for a while and then took it back to get analysed. The citological test ( the one that looks for cancer cells) was negative but I tested positive for klebsiella pneumoniae which is a bacteria that can cause blood in sputum. Unfortunately this doesn't explain the nodules. The citological test is not an istological test so it doesn't make me sure those nodules are not cancer... It just tells me that there were no cancer cells in my lungs... But that "water" might not even reached the nodules... Though the doctor who performed it said he tried to go as closer as possible.
I am an hypochondriac and I start feeling weird pains everywhere... Everyday is a new one... Lol!!! In these days I'm obsessed something's wrong with my brain... Yesterday was my arm... Tomorrow who knows!!!
As at the moment, apart from getting paranoid, I am focusing my attention on my moles... I have many on my back... I always had...( I am Mediterranean looking... Black hairs and eyes but with an extremely pale skin). I am going to get them checked this week. I will also get many blood tests done this week. As you might know blood tests do not show cancer ( as jerry was saying) but I think that they can tell you a lot about your health status... So if there is a primary cancer so big to have mets I think that something will turn out to be wrong...
I think that, as we all have to wait for other scans, what we can do in the meanwhile is trying to get some information from other tests that do not harm us as scans or stuff like that.
Also.. While waiting.. Another thing I did was to contact by email as many doctors ( chest surgeons, oncologists, radiologists....) and asked them to get a look at my scan. Some replied and accepted to see my scan. I got some other information by doing this as, even if they are small, many doctors are able to understand what looks suspicious and what doesn't. This puts you to the same stress of the scan each time, I know... And it's not like getting an istological result but at least tells you, based on the opinion of people that "work" with chest scans, chest surgery and lung cancers, if the pictures of those nodules are suspicious or not. I did this because I was desperate when I got the news of these nodules and helped me getting more information that I didn't get on the first scan result.... So while waiting you can try it too...
Well the weekend is finally here after a long week at work.  Trying to be proactive in keeping myself working longer, like eating right, not smoking, taking walks, etc.  Hope everyone is doing well. Julie
Do chest x-rays show lung nodules?  

To keep the saga going,I went to the hospital yesterday for a session of x-ray pictures of my lungs.

This was due to a low oxygen level in my blood detected in an Recording Oximeter study of my blood oxygen while sleeping.  The x-rays are needed by the Pulmonary specialist who will consult on my case,or take it over.  There is a possibility I have developed a case of COPD or worse.

I believe the CT scan is the tool for detecting nodules, but x-ray images may also provide some insight.  I have been concerned about the possibility I have some given my wife's condition.  She and I have lived in a shared environment for over 50 years, so our environmental exposure is similar.  We even share a past smoking history.  I smoked for about 30 years before quitting and she about 25 years.

I provide a more detailed report on the Oximeter subject on my post on that subject on the Heart Rhythm Community for any who want to read more on the subject... one person's experience.
Hi Jerry - usually nodules are found via CT Scan unless they (I think) are over 10 mm.  I had a chest X-Ray done before surgery about a year or less  before I had the CT Scan and my doctor called me to let me know that my X-Ray was normal.  The CT Scan showed mild COPD and multiple nodules  - which did not show up on the chest X-Ray.  Let us know how the check X-Ray turns out for you.  X-rays may show more now than back in 2009 who knows?  Better quality X-rays.  How are you and your wife doing?  I hope your x-rays don't show any abnormalities.  I know what you mean - it is one thing after another as we get older.  Hope all is well, Julie
Thanks for the response, I was in fact missing chats with friends on this thread.

I really don't expect nodules in my case but the thought crossed my mind.  

My wife's chemo goes on, with the problematic side-effects.  We believe she is making progress - regaining control/stopping of growth.  She has not had any additional CT scans, I think the progress during chemo is by the cancer marker test.

I hope the silence on this tread in recent weeks means good news.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have nodules.  I am from the East Coast and think my environment was a partial cause of my nodules.  As a child I used to like the smell of gasoline when my dad was pumping gasoline. (That is not good)!!!  The buses had thick black smoke, we inhaled that! I used to get sick afer every bus ride, and sometimes I would get sick in the car - the fumes?  Glad your wife's cancer marker test is showing improvement!  That is great.  When is the chemo going to finally be done for her?  Have a great Thursday - Julie
I got mostly good news from the review with a Pulmonary specialist, he had the X-rays, my Oximeter record and a physical "hands-on".  He said he believes my lungs are fine (for a person my age), but he could see some restriction in my throat, likely mild Obstructive Apnea.  He also indicated the loss of some weight might open my throat some - yep, I could stand to lose 25 pounds, seems I now have another reason.

The doctor prescribed a one night sleep study.  I have not yet scheduled it but will do so tomorrow.  I want to sleep on it (ha) first.

He also prescribed a nasal spray he said is more like "Afirin" - absent the rebound problem.  I hope it is effective and affordable.  The Flonase generic I had been using wasn't much help and it is over $20 a month.

Good news!  If you want to lose 25 pounds - do what I did - count carbs,  I had no rice, bread, pasta for 3 months and the pounds melted off me with my fish and salad diet.  I think I overdid it!  But watching carbs really works.  It may be a good idea to get into a sleep study to get diagnosed and maybe solve your Apnea.  Meds can be expensive!  Bye for now, Julie.
Hello everyone,
it has been a while i haven't been posting anything...
I tried to keep away from the internet and i must say that it worked!...
my next scan is on his way and i already can feel the anxiety growing....
I went through once again all the messages of this thread. I wonder if all those who disappeared without updating got good news... It's been 3 months i dont have any respiratory symptoms...even by back pain is gone...the last time i had was 1 and a half month ago...
to be honest i dont know what to expect from next scan...Many who posted updates were reporting even more findings and im afraid that will happen to me too.

I hope all of you are doing well...you julie...how are you? and Mr Jerry? how is your wife doing?

hugs

My wife continues with chemo - but at our age (wife and I) we have many health problems.  As I posted about myself the last visit here I will continue on that report with the fact that I underwent a over night sleep study - brain waves, heart, blood oxygen and carbon dioxide levels, recording of sounds and video of what I did while alseep and a real live technician standing by all night watching over me and one other person.  I had so many wires coming off of my body I felt like I was ready to be shot to Mars.  I have an appointment next Friday (3 days from now) to go over the results of the study and the implications on me and what should be done.  I anticipate a CPAP in my future.  I have a fishing buddy (he has moved to the other coast so we don't fish together anymore) who is about 10 years younger than me.  When I sent him a note saying I have a preliminary diagnosis of minor obstructive apnea.  He said he has been using a CPAP for about a 4 years and he "loves it"... yes.  He said he had forgotten how good it feels to have a good night's sleep.  Still, I'd like to not join the CPAP club.  Still, nothing has been fouind by the Pulmonary folks that suggest any lung problem - I did not have a CT scan, just 5 or 6 X-Rays..
Hello Antoit - it has been awhile since you have posted.  Glad to hear from you and glad your working and not having any pain.  I have been well.  Been to Vegas a couple of times and now my blood sugar is spiking and I am dealing with that.  It is one thing after another, but basically so far my health is good, I work full time and do a lot of traveling on the weekends.  Hi Jerry - so you did have the sleep study done.  Post what their findings are after your appointment on Friday.  Give my regards to your wife, and tell her she is a very strong person.  After the chemo is done I am hopeful she will be feeling better.  My best to both of you, God's speed. Julie.
Hello everyone, I finally had my 3rd CT Scan (technically 2nd because the first one was with contrast focusing on the heart and arteries and they didn't count it) and my nodules are stable, same numbers,same positions. This was the 3rd month one follow up. For the record I have 5 Non Calcified nodules 7mm, 5mm and 5mm on the right lung and 2 nodules 4 and 3 mm on the left one. They are unchanged. 31 years of continuous smoking. I feel great I never had any symptoms, the ones that showed up on the CT were incidental. 66 days without smoking now. I gained 20 pounds but I will loose them. I quitted cold turkey. Next one will be in six months from now and if everything is the same then after a year and that will be the final if they are unchanged. My best to all of you. I will post again on my next one scheduled 15th of October. Dino.
Just what I wanted to hear.  Your nodules are stable!  So happy for you.  There has got to be a better way to check for nodules, this wait and see is very stressful.  Thanks for the good news, now you can breath a sigh of relief.  Yes, keep us updated.  Happy Friday, Julie
My wife's chemo treatment for active nodules (she is a past cancer patient) will be checked by CT in a couple more weeks... we are looking for them to be reduced in size or gone, I think.  I'm not sure how good results from chemo is established, but gone has got to be good.

On my side issue on apnea I met with the sleep specialist yesterday - he said my sleep study confirms mild obstructive apnea.  I asked if it reasonable that I put off the CPAP step by trying to lose 20 or 25 pounds over the next 5 or 6 weeks. He said it is worth a try, and if I manage to lose the weight and notice an improvement in my sleeping pattern he will prescribe another recording Oximeter test over one night at home.  That much easier and much less expensive than going back for a full sleep study.

I am sure I can learn to life with a CPAP mask, but will try to put it off as long as I can.  I did get a confirmation that my related x-rays did not show anything of concern in my lungs... but then x-ray tests don't show nodules, I understand.  I try not to "catch" every thing around me, but illness in others makes me wonder about myself too.
I hope there is improvement in your wife's CT or the nodules will be gone.  If they are just nodules and benign - it will be ok if they are still there. Nice to hear you have made a commitment to lose 20 plus pounds.  You can do it!  Let us know how the diet is going and remember go easy on the carbs, and no big meals at night.  Make your biggest meal your breakfast, I wish you luck.  We are getting summer like weather here, and the evening walks have been refreshing for me.  Hugs, Julie
Hey Dino, so glad to hear good news from you....
Usually when things go well people do not come back here...
glad you updated us and gave us some hope :)
My wife's weekly chemo session with blood tests showed a CA 125 (cancer marker test) of 25. This is still over the goal of less than 21, but getting closer.  Here doctor said they would soon do another CT scan to check on the progress in the battle against the nodules detected a few months back.

These things make me wonder why all of us don't get a CA 125 test included when we undergo an annual physical exam with a "full" blood test.  As a male I get a PSA test done to check on prostate cancer, why not a more general CA 125 test?  Or are they much the same anyway.  Doing a little side study (on another browser) I see CA 125 is designed specifically for Ovarian Cancer and know PSA is for Prostate - yet in the current for my wife it is cancer in nodules (as I understand it) but she had been treated (surgery and chemo) for Ovarian Cancer about 3 years ago.

I hope some research dollars (yea, and Euros too) are going into a simple, accurate, and inexpensive test for all types of cancer.
Glad to hear her CA 125 is going down.  Your right  -  I do not know why they do not do the blood test with our annual exam?  It is probably too expensive and the insurance companies do not want to pay for it?  I am just guessing.  Hope your wife's CT scan gives good results.  
I have just been told by my doctor that I has a 3.5 cm x 2.0 cm nodules in one of my lungs.  I have a CT Scan tomorrow.  I have always lived life thinking that when your number is up, its up!  I have learned a great deal of information from this forum and questions I should be asking, etc. . .  Unfortunately, I am a smoker and I am kind of worried.  Other medical site say that when the nodule(s) are as big as mine, they are usually cancerous.  I seem to always get bronchitis and have a mild cough on a regular basis, so I am for the best.  I also try not to think about it, but when I do, my mind starts racing. .   will I see my daughter graduate college, get married, have a child, etc. . .  
Hi Jeff.  I would imagine the nodule was found during a routine X-Ray?  Yes, the size of the nodule is sugnificiant, but until you get a biopsy no one can say if it is malignant.  Did you have the CT done today?  When do you see your doctor?  I hope all is ok with you.  Please let us know how it goes.  Julie.
Hi Jeff.....
I can certainly appreciate how you feel.  I'm 43, single mom of two beautiful kids and want to see them grow up.  I went to the ER with abdominal pain and they did all kinds of blood tests, ct scan, chest xray.  I had an elevated  sed rate of 53, elevated d dimer, mildly enlarged spleen, and the incidental finding of a 1.4 lung nodule.  Needless to say, I have been scared and crying since hearing that news.  Now, I have elevated blood pressure due to the anxiety.  I go see the primary care doctor tomorrow who will probably schedule more tests......I have never smoked but both of my parents died of lung cancer and were heavy smokers.  I have had respiratory problems my whole life as a result of their smoking habits in the home I'm sure.  I think the worst part for me is the waiting---the waiting to find out what I have is the worst thing.  It could very well be nothing, but it could be something.  Everyone tells me "don't worry...you're fine" but truthfully, that's not validating my fears.  I know they mean well, but I'm worried.  I've been reading people's posts and I feel like a lot of people are going through what I am currently....and I need all the support I can get.  I believe in God and I'm trying to stay as positive as I can but it's so hard when you've watched both of your parents die of lung cancer.  You keep thinking it's your turn now.  I'm scared.
I agree with you !!! The stress is terrible.  I was totally stressed out for over 2 years.  So sorry your both going through this.  
The chest x-ray stated: malignant mass is strongly  suspected - CT is recommended for further evaluation.  I had the CT scan with contrast yesterday and my doctor just called and stated the results: Partially calcified nodule along the left lung base has benign calcification pattern and is most likely either a hamartoma or related to granulomatouse diease.  I have to make an appointment with the pulmonologist  so they can determine if a biopsy and or remove of the nodule is necessary.  I feel very lucky and relieved, but I will hold all emotions until after my appointment and or biopsy / removal.
Hey Julie. . I am sorry to hear about your parents.  Times were different back then and second hand smoke . .  what was that?  They didn't know about that then.  I hope you get good news at the doctors. .   please let me know.  I will be saying a prayer for you.
Calcified is good!  My CT was suspicious for malignancy so I had a needle biopsy done- one of my nodules actually grew from 7 mm to 11 mm.  I am so very happy for you!  Your CT Scan gave you very good news!  But I hope you do decide to quit smoking.  I quit smoking in 2009 a week after my nodules were identified.  Let me know what the pulmonary doctor decides to do.  They may not remove the mass since it is most likely benign!  :) :) :).  You are so lucky you got the good news so quickly.  That is probably because the mass was so large they were better able to identify the cause.  A sign of relief!  Hugs, Julie
How are you doing?  Just be assured that most nodules are benign!  
Slow progress, but in the right direction.

My wife came home yesterday morning from her scheduled Chemo, she said the doctor said she could "skip" chemo this week and would chemo would be less than once a week going forward toward the next CT scan, which he did not put a date on.  

In any case the CA25 (cancer marker) blood tests indicated the cancer is backing down, again.

We are thankful for any reprieve, cancer is either active or in the "wings" waiting a chance to strike again.  Sorry for the "downer" ending here, in fact we are encouraged.
Your wife must be relieved no chemo next week!  and that is good that her CA25 is down!  How are you doing?  Any plans for you & your wife for Mother's Day?  Enjoy the weekend.
Hello everyone,
Today I had my second scan... ( the whole story is in the posts above).
Needless to say I am terrified about the results which I am going to have on the 15th (tomorrow).
Please say a little prayer for me!

Anto
Sending a prayer - and a good luck too.  Be positive and optimistic, then if you're right, no wasted worry, if wrong, still no wasted worry.

I am counting on good results, just as are you.
Well, today I met with my Pulmonologist.  He is ordering a PET Scan. . . Lets see if the insurance will cover that ($10,000).  He is concerned by the size of the nodules, even though they show calcification in the CT Scan.  He said I have 3 options:  1) wait 3 months and see if it grows larger  2) PET Scan  3) Biopsy and then make the decision to remove or leave it be and continue with the x-rays depending on the outcome of the biopsy.

Antoit - I will say a prayer for you tonight.  
Hi Jeff - that is what doctors do best, check - check and keep rechecking!  I also had a PET Scan done too!  Your insurance will cover the cost if the doctor says you should have one.  I had everything done and I was still not through.  This all started (testing) in April or May 2009 and I actually decided not to do the last CT scan in Sept 2012.  It has been 4 years now, and I have received so many CT Scans, a PET Scan, needle biopsy!  They still want to keep testing me!  All the radiation I have had is going to kill me, LOL.  So be prepared for tests.  You actually got a good report from your CT Scan, but doctors want to be 100% sure they have done everything.  It will all work out ok for you.

Antoit - I am also saying a prayer for you.
Hello everyone,
Today has been a long one.... Got my second scan results ( 3 months after the first one) which say they haven't changed in size and number.
Anyway a new scan is already scheduled in 3 months.
Thanks Julie and jerry for your prayers... It seems they worked.
Hope my results, even if partial, give a little bit of hope to anyone on this site and out of this site waiting for answers. I will keep praying for all of you.
I just said a prayer for you Jeff.
I read a lot about lung nodules and patterns and calcification mean a lot...
Of course no doctor will tell you that the calcification and the pattern rule out more serious stuff but still good that yours have these characteristics.
I hope you will get soon some good news... I imagine what u are going through right now and I empathise with u.
I have been following your cases and greatly sympathize with your predicament.  It's great to hear your wife's cancer is backing down, Jerry.  And you, Julie, you have become a steady supporter of all those who come to this site for information and support.  Most of your comments on the new healthcare system, though, are based on fear, rather than valid information, and there I disagree with both.  Having traveled extensively all over Europe, especially to Britain, where I lived one year (and to where I have returned more than ten times), I have come to appreciate the European health care systems.  The US is the only country in the developed world NOT to have a national health service. Is it possible that all those countries are wrong and we are right?  I don't think so.  Consider, for example, longevity rate, as it is a revealing way to evaluate the health of a society: All those countries, almost WITHOUT EXCEPTION, have higher rates of longevity than the US.  I forget now how the US ranks, but it is a demoralizing low rank.  Yes, it is true that the differential rates  between the various countries are small, but the one between the first and ours is significant:  they live almost seven years longer than we do!  Besides, most of the objections you expressed are based on rumor:  "I have a friend who has decided to postpone her knee surgery . . . , " or "I hear that they wait for months to be seen by a doctor," etc, are based on anecdotal evidence, not real facts or substantial evidence. "It looks as though we, old folks, are to be put to pasture" is another case in point. You have to base your opinion on stronger evidence than hearsay. More than once President Obama stated and I quote him now:  "If you like what you have now, then keep it,"  which means that even after the new system kicks in you will have a choice.  Besides, why not look into European systems or that of Canada and ask yourselves:  Are  Canadians and Europeans less healthy than Americans?  The answer is NO!  They are not! Also remember that  when President Lyndon Johnson pushed Medicare  (from which the three of us benefit) through Congress, he was met with the same kind of objection (this is socialism!).  The three of us are lucky in that we have reached an age where we have our pensions to depend on, but what about those who lost theirs? Or the 7.5% of the  work force who is now unemployed on account of the current crisis? Do you realize that to have good, underline that, good medical care, those people would probably lose all they have and then have to put up with creditors breathing on their necks for the remainder of their lives? Finally:  transitions are never easy, my friends, and our new system  is going to be no exception, but, in the long run, the American people will be its great beneficiaries, in the same way that British people, Dutch people, Swedish people, French people, and Danish people are the beneficiaries of theirs. And that's more substantial than rumors!  Anna.
I consider your post "out of line", this is not a health care evaluation forum.  To that I add there are significant numbers and facts to dispute you claims and again note this is not the place to discuss them.

If I am guilty of not following the above, mine is done about the facts of my own experience, not some general attack or defense.  I remain very happy with the existing/past USA health care system, as are many high profile people from around the world who come here to get treatments that are not available elsewhere.  Life expectancy involves much more than the medical system, life style has a major impact and the USA has one of the highest risk life styles.  
Excuse me, but I also have gone through experiences of my own that led to  generalizations,(as you seem to have done) and comparisons with other countries's systems. When you  criticize the new plan as you have done here several times, you are evaluating it, so how come my evaluation is out of line? , Also:the facts I mentioned can be backed up by publications of the WHO, or World Health Organization, although I don't recall the exact figures.  As to the people who come here from abroad to receive treatment, they are are not from countries like Britain, Denmark, Sweden, France, etc because they don't need to come here.  The ones who come are from Third World countries and they do so because of the superior US technology, not because of our health system. Finally, it is not my intention to to turn this into a forum of evaluation of the health system. I expressed my opinion once, that's all.  From now on you may continue to enjoy the monopoly of that privilege. Anna.
Hi Jerry!  I am surprised with her post too.  Came out of no where, LOL.  Well hope you and your wife have a great weekend.  Take care.
Thanks, not looking for arguments

I hope one of two things happen regarding the evolution of the USA health system:
1) the current takeover is stopped, or
2) I am wrong in seeing it as another step to a clone of the European economic disaster. .  
Hi everyone
I am 43 old gentleman with approximately 20 years of smoking history (average smoker for almost 15 years and remaining 5 years kind of light smoker).  On may 8th I was rushed to ER due to sore throat and severe lower abdominal and back pain.  I was diagnosed with mono but during ER visit they did CT scan of my abdomen and pelvic area.  Initially I was told that everything is OK but few days later my primary care doctor nurse called me and told me that they saw 9 mm non calcified nodule at the bottom of my right lung.  I have been smoke free since then (cold turkey with sometimes nicotine gum), I have been regularly exercising for last 1.5 years (4 times a week at the gym), dont have any chest pain no shortness of breathing or coughing.   But as I read here, reading on internet possibilities of what this nodule could be is driving me insane.  I am seeing specialist this coming Monday to get further update and I was suggested by radiologist to get another CT scan in three months.  I really dont think I can stay sane in this time period, I will be asking my doctor about biopsy issue and also about superdimension in reach technology for diagnostic purposes which is available at Chicago medical center.  I do hope it is nothing since I would like to get married and start a family soon, I live in US but I am from eastern Europa and I have no family members here except my two cats and many lovely friends.  My prayers are with every one of you, I am wishing you all the best.  LD
Hi, Julie! My comments were in answer to his and yours about the Affordable Health Care System.  That's where they came from.  
Hi LD and welcome to this site.  I can totally identify with the fear after being diagnosed with nodules.  So your getting another CT Scan in 3 months?  As for a biopsy - the nodule has to be 1 cm (10 mm) usually before they will perform a biopsy.  And great to hear you quit smoking cold turkey!  It took me one week after the nodule was discovered to quit smoking.  It will be very hard for you to stay sane for 3 months, maybe the specialist on Monday will ease your mind,  but after you start having the CT Scans and the nodule stays stable you will feel better.  Let us know what the specialist suggests on Monday, and your in my prayers.  Best wishes, Julie
Ditto Jerry - I totally agree with you.  
Hi LD61822,
I think you should be quite positive about what's happening to you.
I am saying that because you said you had a abdomen and pelvic scan too which were fine....so there's nothing apart this nodule...Many people on here are worried about these nodules being mets...but with a almost full body scan you should feel quite relieved that that nodule was the only thing they found.
9mm nodule is very small and it is not rare that CT scans show such a things.
If you like statistics i can tell you that 30% of thoracic CT scans (in smokers or formal ones) show abnormalities...it is a very high percentage isn't it? that means that 1 person out of 3 who undergo a scan would probably have a scan report similar to yours. Probably 9mm is ok for a PET scan which would show if the nodule is active or not...Remember that even if active it doesn't mean it is a cancer...Only a biopsy can rule that out.
But this is not time for bad thoughts but for positive ones. You have no sign of any disease and the scans reports are in your favor. In the worst of the scenarios that nodule is so little that would be easily treatable.But, again, this is just the worse of the scenarios. Statistics say that only 2-3%of these nodules are cancer...97% they are not!!!
This is driving me nuts and affecting my life. I was feeling a little ahort of breath but only while still or thinking about it. It was almost like anxiety but I am not an anxious person, My doctor said it was reflux so he put me on prevacid...things seemed to stop. He also thought it may be mild asthma so he sent me for a test ...all ok only slightly reduced lung function. I stopped the prevacid and was feeling fine for months but I had a CT scan to rule out any issue and close the file. Thats when I learned about a 5 mm nodule in my right lung. Within a few days I was feeling stressed and I was feeling pains in my side. I went to the doctor and he told me it was not related....I went to a chiropractor and he said my hip was locked and I have some locked bones in my spine and this was contributing to the cause of my pain. I am 42 a non smoker but have worked in industry all my life....even if this nodule is benign it is taking years of my life.
Try not to assume the worst.  One, wow, you are only one away from none.  I am not a expert here, but one nodule sounds rather benign to me.  

I've never had a chest CT scan, and I wonder how many nodules I may have, no kidding, I do wonder.  But, I try not to think bad thoughts, in fact I rarely think about it.  

I have  some shortness of breath but I am 1) an old guy, and 2) I have chronic nasal congestion and atrial fibrillation.

I visit this thread because my wife has (or had) several nodules.  She will be getting another CT scan in the coming weeks, and we hope to see improvement, fewer nodules.

What is your next step?  Is any further testing of the nodule planned, such as a biopsy?

Good luck, I bet it is benign.  
I just found out the insurance company approved my PET scan, after repeated calls and continued nagging from yours truly.  I go next Tuesday (30 May) for the scan.  I am being told they will know something the next day, but my follow up isn't until the end of that week. . . I TOTALLY agree with Jerry_NJ - Try not to think about it until you know from the doctors.  I have recently started a HUGE project:  I am finishing my basement and adding a bathroom.  I seem to spend a lot of time down there working (Plumbing, sheetrock, taping, mudding, sanding, painting, tiling, etc. . . ).  I find that keeping busy with life helps take my mind off it as long as I am busy.  Positive attitude helps me not to think about it when I am idle.  As for the smoking. . .  that is harder to kick for me.  I guess a part of me still thinks I am invincible.  I know even if my test come back good for me, I still need to quit ! ! ! ! !

I hope ALL enjoy their time with your friends and family this weekend.  I know I will be cooking some HUGE FAT STEAKS on the grill and having a bunch of friends over.  Being retired military, this is an important day for our great country and all other veterans.  Please say a pray for all the soldiers, wherever they may be serving.
Yes, please due your friends, family and self a favor, the gift of life, quit smoking.  I smoked until about 45 years old and will soon be 74.  I have health problems that's why I "hang out" on MedHelp, several issues/subject/communities.

Stopping smoking is hard, but worth it. I am convinced I would not be alive today if I had not quit.  As said, I don't know if I have any lung nodules, but then I've never been scanned as I have no symptoms that suggest I do.  I have, however, had a careful study of my lungs and breathing, a sleep study, and there's nothing wrong capaiby-wise with my smoking, but I quit smoking almost 30 years ago.  

Thanks for your service to this great country, we still have alot of work to keep it that way.  From a "fellow vet", albeit I was lucky enough to serve during that period of no wars following the Korean war.  I was am a "cold war" vet, no one shot at me.
Hi Jeff,
reading back the last messages on this thread i found out that today is your scan day!!! Will keep the finger crossed for you and say a prayer for good results.
Please keep us posted!

Anto
Well, I went for my PET scan today.  Worst part was keeping the arms over the top of my head. . I have an appointment with my Pulmonologist next week (Tuesday) so needless to say, it will be a very LOOOOOOOOONG weekend.  I will let you all know as soon as I hear.  Thanks for the posts and prayers.  I will continue to say some for you all as well.  
Good you did it Jeff. It will give you more information. I imagine the last weekend has been a long one for you. Still keeping the finger crossed here for you.

Let us know how it goes at the pulmonologist.

A.
Jeff - hope the news is good tomorrow when you go to the Pulmonologist.  You may want to ask for a copy of your PET Scan results.  Let us know how things turn out as soon as you can.  You are in my prayers for good results.  I am also keeping my fingers crossed. best wishes, Julie
Well, the results were GREAT.  It was just a calcification and not cancer.  Now they want me to go and see a kidney specialist as they say my one kidney is enlarged.  Sigh. . . .  Thank you all who said prayers for me. . .  I really appreciate it.  I am starting to cut back on my smoking now.  I figure if I cut back, it will be easier to quit.  At least that is what I am going to try to do.  Maybe the patch, gum or Chantex. . I guess I will try one at a time.  I definitely want to quit now and they say that is the first step.  I will continue to say prayers for all of you and check back periodically and see how everyone is doing.  Thanks again ALL.  

JEFF
A calcification!  great news.  Benign calcification, I know you must be feelng so much better.  Quit smoking with whatever technique works for you.  I used the gum.  Quit smoking an do not look back, quiting is always for the best and in time the cravings get minimal. So now they will be checking your kidney.  They found a cyst in my kidney when they were doing my PET Scan.  Thanks for sharing the good news.  :)
Jeff i am so happy for you!!! This is a very good news! :) :)
I quit smoking by using an electronic cigarette for a couple of weeks....do a research online...u will find many stores to buy it from...It came so easy for me because by using it for a couple of weeks i realised how bad it smelled and suddenly i couldnt even stand it anymore!

If you need more info about this i will be glad to give you some tips.

Enjoy your good news :)

Anto
Glad to hear your still not smoking and yes food will taste so much better now.  Hope all my friends on this site are all well.  Julie.  
My wife came home from her Friday Chemo treatment early and told me the doctor decided to skip Chemo this week and told her to made an appointment for a CT scan (to check on the status of her lung nodules).  So we hope to learn soon that the Chemo has been successful in "Killing" the cancerous nodules.  
Hi Jerry, i'll keep my fingers crossed for your wife CT scan...
Keep us posted about the results please.

Your wife is in my prayers.  Always, Julie
My wife is in right now for her CT scan, and our Westie dog is at the groomer to help celebrate what we expect to be good news.

I don't know yet how long before we get the results, but the USA system is still pretty quick, I'll be we know in a day or two.

Julie, thanks for the prayers, I remain optimistic as we must.
I am also anticipating good news for your wife.  And, yes the results are quick, I usually get my results the following day.  They get faxed to my doctor.  Best wishes....
I am new to this forum and hope I am posting correctly.  I have joined this crazy merry go round.  I was ill in April with cough, rash, high sed rate, eye inflammation.  Was referred to a rheumatologist who suspects I have Sjogrens Syndrome.  All those symptoms are gone and I now feel fine.  However, a chest xray showed two small nodules.  CT today showed a 5 mm nodule and other tiny uncalcified nodules in both lungs.  Also a mildly prominent mediastinal lymph node.  Recommended followup in six months.  Needless to say, I am very upset and worried and am going to ask GP for referral to a pulmonologist.  The rheumatologist was not concerned about chest xray and was not going to recommend CT until I requested it.

I am 49 and a non-smoker.  I lost my husband last December due to metastatic prostate cancer and so this has been extremely stressful.

I look forward to hearing more of others' experiences.  
I believe lung nodules are very common, who knows I may have some myself, I've never had a CT scan of anything.  I have had chest/lung x-rays in the last few months in for an examination by a Pulmonary Specialist concerning possible obstructive sleep apnea.  The x-rays didn't show anything of concern, or none the doctor cared to share with me.

I also believe from the experience with my wife's case that it is common practice when nodules are detected by a CT scan to wait a period of time, 6 months sounds long to me, and do a follow up CT scan.  If the nodules have grown in size or number further action, such as needle biopsy, is indicated.  In the absence of any change I believe the patient is considered stable an no corrective action is indicated.

Thanks, Jerry.  This was my first chest x-ray and CT so nothing to compare to - it does seem that now it is just a waiting game.  Still plan to ask for referral to pulmonologist.  

Glad nothing was seen on your x-rays and hoping for the best with your wife's scan.  
Hello Sharon,
I read your story and i definitely feel like reassure you about lung nodules especially if these nodules are of that dimension (5mm).
I am sure you must have been shocked by the impressive number of replies this thread has...That already tells you something about these nodules being so common.
Unfortunately not everyone comes back on here when further scans show no changes.

A friend of mine that i met on here just got her results from the second scan (4 months recheck) today...Guess what: NO CHANGES!!! :)
She is now due for a rescan in 9 months time...Quite encouraging :)
She was in a similar situation. A 5mm nodule and another 4mm.

Hope this puts a smile on your face as it put it on mine this morning as she texted me with the nice news!

BTW mine were unchanged too after 3 months... :)

Yes, that is encouraging, thank you for posting.  I'm glad I found this forum, it definitely helps me deal with the stress and understand all this.  My GP is not too good about returning calls or explaining test results and I think I will still ask to be followed by a pulmonologist.  

Very glad to hear about your friend's results and yours!  
So sorry about your loss of your husband.  Very surprised your doctor did not recommend a CT scan.  Your nodule is very small and your a non-smoker which is great!  It will be fine.  I know it is going to be a tough 6 month waiting for your next CT Scan. You can send me a private e-mail on this site if you would like.  Hugs, Julie
Hey Sharon,
When I got the report of my first scan i went straight to a pulmonologist (private). Before getting scanned i dealed with my GP too and I can tell you that usually GPs know very little about this findings. It also depends on their specialization and their experiences i suppose.
My GP had previous experiences and before i went for the scan he insisted i should not have it done as  1) it was not necessary 2)from his experience scans often show little things of no importance that scare patients.
I don't know if "no scan" is the right approach but i am sure that on this thread there are many posts from people whose scans showed little things of no importance :)

I am sure you have googled a lot about lung nodules. One of the best study i have found so far about them is a podcast from cancergrace.com

here's the link if you want to watch it:
http://cancergrace.org/lung/2011/12/07/yankelevitz-lung-nodules-podcast/

The doctor says that the vast majority of the chest scan has little findings.

I am an Italian speaker and time ago on a well known italian forum a doctor got pissed off by the amount of people asking questions about little lung nodules over and over...inviting them to read the previous answers and to use the forum for serious stuff :)

This, again, makes you understand how many people are dealing with nodules out there and what chest specialists who deal daily with scans think about them.

Of course no specialist will tell you "you're fine"...They just cannot!!! The protocol says that when someone has lung nodules this must be scanned time by time to see if there is any growth.

Also think about the time you have to wait: 6 months! A suspicious situation would require a rescan earlier than that...So, I know that's a long wait...
but you have many elements to think positive. Keep us posted.

A.
The medical wheels don't turn real fast, but not too bad I guess.

My wife called the CT center this afternoon to find out if her results from the Tuesday CT scan were ready. They are, and were sent to her Oncologist today... but nothing has come to us from the Oncologist... maybe Monday.

I''ll take the "no news is good news" attitude : )
I guess her doctor has got to interpret the results before your wife can get the results.  He/she may not have even looked at the results yet.  I am so much hopeful for good news for your wife.   Have a great weekend.
CT report following about 6 months of Chemo show my wife's maleglant lung nodules are reduced in size and number.  She had a few in the 2 cm range, none now are over 2 mm (1/10th the size before Chemo) and fewer in number, but I didn't get a count from the discussion with her doctor.  She will continue a treatment administered like Chemo, but just a biological agent until next fall when an additional CT scan will be run.

Generally good news, but not the best possible.  It appears she has been able to again beat back the cancer demon using Chemo.  As she is a "cancer survivor" it is likely the disease will resurface.  

Today this is about the best we can get from our current set of tools to battle cancer.  

Keep in mind this all followed a needle biopsy, and a past history of cancer, and is not an argument that lung nodules are all cancerous.... they are not.
That is a major improvement from 2 cm to 2 mm!  How has she been holding up with the chemo? So now she is going to be on a different agent until the fall and then get rechecked?  Sounds like she is doing much better, at least the chemo shrunk the nodules, which is great news.  Hope you and your wife can enjoy your summer, any trips or plans for you and her?  Hugs, Julie
Thanks, I respond briefly here as there are a few others following along.

Again, it is important that others diagnosed with lung nodules must not assume they have the same cancer condition my wife suffers from.

Our son, a medical doctor, was here to join us yesterday when we met with our Oncologist.  That helps my wife's spirits too as she (and less often I) travel to San Francisco to visit him and our daughter who also lives in that area.  Getting off of Chemo opens the possibility that my wife can make that trip again in the coming weeks.  My wife also has family in Florida where she like to visit.

Thanks for the support.
Jerry, so glad to hear of your wife's good response to the chemo and the significant shrinkage.  Enjoy the chemo break and I hope some travel will be possible over the summer.  

Thanks to you, Antoit and Julie for the encouraging posts.  I left a message with my GP asking for a referral to a pulmonologist, hopefully will get a response reasonably soon.  Am going to try to relax and enjoy the rest of the week.  Happy Independence Day to those of us in the U.S.
Jerry i am so glad to hear the great improvement your wife has had!!!
wow! such a huge shrinkage!!!!! excellent!
Wish you both a nice trip then!!!

:)

Anto
Thanks for the celebration.  We still have a ways to go, the prescription now is to continue with a "chemo-like" treatment with a patent medicine name Gemzar and then do another CT in the September time-frame.  This treatment will be less often, not once a week.

Seems smaller is good but gone is the goal.  As already noted my wife is a cancer survivor and that nasty disease has a way of coming back, sometimes stronger than before.

There is still much to learn before medicine can cure cancer with any certainty.
You are right Jerry, there is still a lot to learn to cure cancer.
I read somewhere that when there is such a huge shrinkage what is left ( in your wife case a 2mm nodule) is just a scar from the original nodule with no clinical importance.
If this make sense to you try to ask the doctor if this might be your wife case too.

I had requested a referral to a pulmonologist for my nodules (largest 5 mm, other tiny nodules, one mildly enlarged node).  I met with him today.  He feels my nodules are consistent with histoplasmosis and that I am at a low risk for lung cancer.  

He told me, as I knew from reading here and elsewhere, that the nodules are too small to biopsy or for PET scan to be reliable.  I will have another CT in six months.  It sounded like they have a large number of patients being followed - the receptionist said she would "add me to the list" to schedule another scan at that time.  

I was exposed to neighbor's chickens dust and droppings quite a bit this spring as the chickens like to nest in my barn.  I also had an illness in April which started this testing - I wonder if this was histoplasmosis.  

I am going to try put the whole thing on the back burner for now as there is nothing else I can do at this time.  I hope everyone else is doing well and hope to hear your updates.  
Sorry about the nodule find, but "too small" is good, very good.  Next we pray to see a post saying in 6 months, no change - don't know but I think nodules just go away, but stable is good.

As you have read in my wife's case it took two scans to first establish her nodules were active and as they were as large as 20 mm a biopsy was done.

At my age it is always worrisome to get any test, something is always going wrong.  I (try) to remain optimistic, but on guard.

I don't know what "histoplasmosis", but I'll look it up.
well I had a ct of the lungs and they found several lesions on both lungs , nodules I suppose, but also found what they said looks like a patchy ground glass in my lingual. what ever that means, now they want to do biopsies, in which I don't want. what to do what to do?
I believe a biopsy is currently the only sure way to detect or show the absence of cancer.  As for lung biopsy, my wife had that done on a nodule or two that were in the centimeter size (usually we talk about millimeters) and it was done with what is described as a needle biopsy. I didn't observe but the words seem clear enough.  I do know she had it done on an office visit basis and had few or no side effects (recovery time).  

I have no understanding of the other issues found in your case, perhaps others who continue to "watch" this thread can offer more explanation/experience.  

As I hope you know you are "talking" with patients or care-givers (me on this subject), not medical doctors.  If a doctor replies it will carry the medical symbol
Hi - did you get a copy of your CT Scan report?  You didn't mention the size of your nodules, and as for ground glass I also had that - ground glass I think means it is hazy.  My first CT Scan said ground glass, but my other scans did not show ground glass.  What size are the nodules?  Best wishes, Julie
I hope everyone is doing well on here.
My next scan is due in 10 days or so ( still have to know the exact date).
This will be the 7 months one.... I consider it an important one as, as far as ive read, most dangerous nodules increase in size in 7 months...So this scan will actually give me an idea if something serious is actually going on.

Anto
Wishing the best (luck) outcome.  

As I recall you are not under any treatment, the nodules are just being watched.

I do recall my wife's nodules showed growth in size in one month - but she is a cancer survivor and the nodules turned out to be cancerous.  As you may recall, she is under ongoing chemo-like treatment and the size is going down.  

I hope/think your nodules are benign - we may all have some small nodules and just don't know it.  I'm an old guy so there has been plenty of time for them to develop in me. I've never had a CT scan, only X-Ray pictures.

Sorry for nothing new to tell - but seeing your post I felt like having a little chat just to say hello..

Thinking of you and hoping for very good news on the scan.  It doesn't sound like you have reason to be extremely worried but it is always stressful.  

Please keep us updated.
It is almost time for another scan - it has been 7 months already/  Yes usually the worst senerio is that the nodule has grown in 3 months.  I am praying for you to have good results from your CT Scan.  Looking forward to hearing good news from you in a week or so.  Take care, Julie  p.s. - hope everyone had a good weekend too.
Thanks Jerry, Sharon and Julie.

Scan is due on Monday...send positive thoughts on that day please...
will keep you posted with results that are usually back in a couple of days.

finger crossed,

Anto
Viewing 201-400 comments: