Lung Nodules?
I had 10 noncalcified pulmonary nodules from 3-7mm show on a CT scan for something unrelated in Nov 08 when these were found. Since, CT scans revealed 2 more nodules in June 09 and now a whopping 15 nodules 3-7mm in size on my recent scan a week ago. Anyone have a take on what could be causing these? I am 32, non-smoker as of 6-09 and smoked for 23 yrs, since I was 9. the 3 newest nodules have come after I quit smoking. Drs tell me not to worry, yet cannot tell me the cause of these nodules or even what they are......Any suggestions? Im going crazy wondering.....

Thanks in advance!
I am 49.
I have had on going health problems this past 2 years. I have had a issue with back problems since my 20's. But in Oct 09 I was diaignose with what I was told is a ruptured disk.(lower spine) I had to have a series of eperdal injections. I improved at least 80%.

Now for the most part beyond commom colds and flu,ive been healthy. I started 3 years ago getting mild night sweats occasionly 1 or 2xs a month,if even that.  with no other menopausal symptoms.
After my last eperdoral injection (which is steriods) the night sweats became worse and during the day also.and almost daily. My periods always regular and never missed one since pregnant  with my son at 20 yrs. and I missed 2 in a row.Jan and Feb. it returned this month.

But last month I went to the ER for upper back pain thinking kidney stones, They took catscan and said no stones,but they did see a few nodules om my lungs,and wanted to repeat the scans with dye. The ER Doc told me and my boyfriend ,they were nothing and I was fine and to go home and enjoy the weekend. Not even the mention of a follow up. But im bipolar and prone to anixety attacks. So I decided to go for a second opinion. So I did, and my regular Doc said she read the hospital results and there was alot of stuff wrote on them about even the posibility of needing a PETscan.and then it was wrote under it "if thought nessecery. Nothing else but what the ER Doc said was ever relayed to me.He sent me home assuring me Iwas fine. Now my regular Doc said she was concerned with the findings, but she could not say what they were intil further testing. She said she was sending me to a Lung Specialist. So I got the call today with the apointment set up for Wensday, and the nurse stressed it was very important I keep and make that apointment. So now I sit here in a stressed panic, thinking the worst...because of the way the nurse said that. The only issues I have atm I have lost about 35 to 40 pounds since like August or Sept due to back pain and not being able to stand up and cook or eve nmake a sandwhich, I have been living on slimfast drinks, yougurt, and salads since Oct. and I have the night sweats or hot flashes whatever you call them. and the 2 missed periods. I do beleive I did have a diaignoses of some form of Arthritis.....So now my Doc said she is concerned about the weight loss and the night sweats that at first she thought was menopausal.

And all I know is the nodules are suposedly somewhere in the middle of my lungs right side. I know this is long....but im scared...about how it could go from being nothing from what the ER Doc said.....to its very important I dont miss the apointment with the Lung specialist on wens.

Extremely panicked here in Ohio
please be checked for complications of histoplasmosis  you will see nodules on xray you need a high resoultion CT scan and a cardiac MRI to show all involement .
Hi people...so glad to find this site. Had ct scan last week for diverticulitis, which turned out just inflamed and not infected. Of course, they find something else. A 5mm nodule lower right, non calcified. Had a new Ct scan today...Dr. called tonight, said I have 3 nodules in right lung...two are 4mm and one 5mm, all non calcified. I'm 43, never smoked, but lived with HEAVY smokers first 20 years of life. My husband smokes, outside, but have always worried about his second hand smoke, we've been together for 7years. I did have bronchial asthma...many many times  in my 20's and 30's, and took inhalers daily. But last 7 years haven't needed them at all. Dr. is genuine, knowing I'm stressed and he calls to check on me, always saying to stop worrying. It is difficult. Wants another scan in 9mo. Thanks for forum...nice to put down my thoughts! Best wishes to all.Kim
Update of nodules! After reading everyones information, I put on a post that my nodules were .08 mm, but when I looked at my scan results and read them again it has in there are several nodules from .05 to .08 cm? Now I am confused as to what size they are? Does anyone out there who can tell me what the difference is between the .08 cm compared to a mm? Thanks Vivian
Something does not seem right about the numbers you were given. It would make more sense if the numbers were .5 and .8cm since one cm = 10 mm, then the sizes would be 5mm and 8mm. To give you an idea of what that looks like, 6.35mm = 1/4 inch. Hope this helps
Anyway I went for a ct scan for my thyroid back in January and the Dr decided to ask for a chest scan also since I had just quite smoking after 30 years. They found a 4mm nodule on the lower right lung. I will be getting it scanned again this month to see if it has changed. Worst part now is the waiting. I don't make any long term plans at this point untill I get an idea as to where this all ends up.
Thanks Rfred
Not sure if this will help anyone or not but I've learned over the last few months that even if you have nodules and they are growing it doesn't necessarily mean cancer. As I posted before my fiance had some nodules found during a scan for a kidney stone...well over the course of a few months the nodules grew pretty rapidly, some to over 2cm.  At first it was decided to repeat CT scans to keep an eye on them but his primary dr. thought it best we see on oncologist.  He had a lung biopsy last month and were relieved to find out it was not cancer but nocaseating granulomas.  We are not sure exactly what is causing them, he has ulcerative colitis so it could just be a result of his body's inflammatory process.  We are going back to the pulmonologist later this month to see what we need to do from here.  I guess point of the story is that its not always worst case scenario, so hang in there everyone and good luck!!! :)
Thanks so much to everyone for your posts.  I, too, just had an ultrafast heartscan and they incidentally saw two nodules, 3 & 6 mm in the lower lobe of my right lung.  I'm going to see my PCP on Tuesday and will get a plan of action then.  I'm  41, non-smoker and I keep telling myself it's probably nothing but then when I dwell on it, I make myself crazy.  If any of you have results, please continue to post.  It is helpful and therapeutic.  Everyone take care.
I received my CT scan rusults yesterday, and the radiologist reported that all my nodules are stable, and one did not even show up on this third scan! His diagnosis was that it may be some type of infection or inflammation of sort! I see my pulmonologist on May 3rd, so I will report his information at that time! I feel relieved, but will have to continue the Ct scans for up to 24 months just in case! Hang in there everybody, you just never know!!! Leaving for a 7 day cruise tomorrow, so at least this news will allow me to have a better time! Peace and Love Vivian
Hi Vivian - Glad to hear the nodules are stable - mine were stable too on my 2nd CT scan - now I am having my 3rd CT scan on Monday.............The last scan stated that it looked like old scar tissue???????????????  But the doctor (per their protocol) is doing another CT scan and this will be 1 year since my original CT so I have 1 year to go.

So your going on a cruise - how nice !!! where are you going to be headed?  Have a great time on your cruise and let us know all the details when you get back
Hugs - Julie in Southern California

Hi. I just found out today I have one 4mm nodule in my right lower lobe. From reading all the comments, I am not going to freak out about it, but the CT scan calls it a small 4 mm pleural based nodule. It doesn't say anything about calcified or noncalcified, and it is only 1 nodule. Does anyone know what pleural-based means?

Also, I put off getting a CT scan (they were actually looking for a kidney stone, which I didn't have, but that's another story) because I've heard that the radiation from one CT scan is a lifetime's worth of radiation. Yet I hear people here say they are going back for their 3rd or 4th scan. That is a huge load of radiation - couldn't that in itself cause these nodules to grow? Just curious! Or worried. Or both.

Ginger
Well I just got the results of my second scan of the 4mm nodule on my lower right lung and there is no change since first found in January. Now thats how I spell relief (if you remember the commercial). They do not want another ct scan for a year now so thats a good thing. Hope everyone does well and take care.

Rfred
I went in for a fluttering in the chest area (gone now), and came up positive for d-dimer, and then the ct found "multiple nodules less than 4mm). I know its probably benign, but yes, I am still freaking out. MULTIPLE?
No new scans for me as of yet (July Ill have next scan) but just wanted to say I went MONTHS without ANY responses to this thread and I decided to look again and BAM! TONS of responses!

I know what you mean about feeling better knowing you are not alone. I also know these nodules can be caused by MANY different hings, even some of our OWN nodules could be a few different things inside our own lungs.

Keep posting updates- Ill be back more often now that Im not alone! ;)

I wish the BEST to EVERYONE going thru this, and TOGETHER, I believe we can create a suport system strong enough for all of us sharing this unwanted, horrifying experience of the unknown....

Nicol
hi to make a long and devastating story short, my 51 year old aunt was diagnosed on March 5th with stage 4 lung cancer it had spread to her pericardial sac around her heart, we never left her alone from that time on, she passed away on April 7th a month and 2 days after finding out.  Our family is devastated, she and i were very close only 4 years apart, she never had kids and was close to my 2 adult children.  Since then, me only other aunt went for a ct scan, and last Friday May 14th was told she has lung cancer, had pet scan there are no more spots just one in upper right lobe, we are going to St. Louis Siteman cancer ctr on Wed to get consult.
I was having a difficult time and still am dealing with my aunts death, went to my GP who prescribed 2 meds to help me sleep and calm down, he suggested ct scan to give me piece of mind so on second visit i agreed, i never told anyone just did it. Got my results but they didnt give me piece of mind, the said there were multiple bilateral scattered what appeared to non calcified granulomas, but scan read they could not rule out early metastic disease.  Also nodules found in my neck, which i had on friday ultrasound on neck, doc called that day and told me i was scheduled for nuclear thyroid scan, and to see a pulmonologist next week to possibly do a bronchioscopy with staining on the nodules.  This is all familiar to me because of my first aunt.  I'm worried sick, about my second aunt, and my own situation which i've only told my husband children, i don't want to worry my aunt as she's for sure going to be going through some tough times when they operate perhaps.
Am i just overly anxious or is there cause?? any info help is greatly appreciated.  
Hi all:

I have been freaking out and crying hysterically for a week now.  On May 16th, I went to the ER for something unrelated.  They did a CT Scan on my chest and told me that they found a 4mm nodule on my upper right lung and it is non calcified.  On the report it said for me to get it checked again in 6 months.  I am 36 years old and I have smoked for many many years so you can understand my anxiety.  I have also gotten so much conflicting information.  The ER doctor who told me about the nodule told me not to worry about that 99.9% of the time they are nothing and he knew about my smoking history.  Then of course reading about it on the internet has freaked me out because everything points back to cancer.  I have been reading so many posts and some say not to worry and some say worry like for example reading I think Nicoles post to someone who was talking about a 16mm nodule, she commented that 1 nodule is a really bad sign and I have heard the opposite so I think when it all comes down to it, no one really knows not even the doctors.  I went to my primary doctor and he said that he sees these things at least 4 times a week but because I am a smoker it does make it a little more worrisome but that statistically it being benign was still on my side.  Tomorrow I go to see a Pulmonary doctor because I just can't sit and wait 6 months to find out abou this thing.  I even called a 24 hour cancer hotline crying hysterically.  Like everyone else, they told me not to jump ahead of myself and to please stop getting my information from the internet.  It's easier said than done.  All I can think about is the fact that I have a 15 month old son and the idea of him growing up without me puts me in such a deep dark place and I have no one to blame for this but myself.  I also started taking Chantex today, my doctor told me to look at this as a reason to quite smoking and boy am I ever.  It has been hard at times because I'm all stressed out about it so it makes me want to smoke a cigarette UGH!!!  I have none in my home and I refuse to go buy any and contribute more of my money to the destruction of my life.  Anyway, I really hope this turns out to be nothing more than a very scary wakeup call for me specially for the sake of my little boy because he is the most important thing to me, I just keep looking at his little face and I tell myself for him I am going to fight this but if it's lung cancer there is only so much I can do.

Well thanks for listening.
I am glad you are going to route of giving up smoking!  How is the chantix working for you?  I, unfortunately, had some side effects from the chantix and had to quit with the nicorette gum, but I know of others who have been able to give up smoking with chantix with good results.  

My third CT Scan showing similar results with no changes from the prior two CT Scans, which is a good thing.  The pulmonary doctor said I need just one more CT Scan at the end of this year and I will be done with having to schedule scans every 4 - 6 months.  

This is typical protocol to watch the nodules when they are found on a CT Scan for about 2 years or so.  I also have my CT Scan done for unrelated reasons.

I know how it is to walk on pins and needles from worry.  Hopfully the worry you are having will prove to be benign.  
Julie
Hi, my next scan isnt til July, so I have no perwsonal updates, but want to comment on others.
First, thru all of my extensive research, Ive found this to be the truth by average of collected data on the internet, asking actual doc and PAS, and reading magazines, reports, etc.

-If the nodule is calcified, its rare to be Cancer. If its non-calcified, it hasnt "scarred over and healed", so growth and Cancer are more likely found occur in the them.

-Single Pulmononary Nodules are statistically more likely to become Cancerous. Multiple are most likely caused by other things (TB, infection, scarring, exposure,etc.).

The reason we all freak out, which is NORMAL by the way, and its human nature to worry and its perfectly OKAy to do so, is because NO study, NO stats, NO nothing....can prove there is still not a 50/50 chance of our nodules being Cancer...just because we have them our risks for Cancer increase tremendously! Now, if we didnt have them, we wouldnt worry right? But their there, and we must scan and watch and scan and watch FOR a REASON. Noone knows....

I dont let myself worry as much as I used to, but Ive been thru a few scans. and so far just a few more nodules but no growth.

My DR doesnt seem to worried but I am, just not consuming my every thought w it anymore.

To the people here that are going thru this, remember its ok to feel all those feelings. Its healthier not to ignore them. Its healing, if you will.

I really hope everyone continues posting their results, as we can at least see whats going on statistically in our own online community. Take care!

PS I used an ecig to quit smoking a year ago-they work immediately. can read up on it at another forum zI frequent.

wwwe-cigarette-forum.com good luck hope you stick with it!
hope all is emotionally well!  After getting results in March/April on nodules...today actually, for first time, I told my family I'm happy. FINALLY! Went thru all emotions this unknown has caused. But I've put this on the back burner until next scan in December. Hope everyone has a great summer....STAY POSITIVE!
So glad to hear! :) My next ones in July, Ill be sure to post results! Keep the GOOD news coming!
Terrified here... I just went to the ER two days ago for possible heart attack or lung bloodclot. CT scan taken and found multiple non-calcified nodules in my right middle lobe. 2-5mm in size. I am suppose to go back for another CT in 6 mo and then 24mo. OMG! I am so stressed and full of anxiety. I had a CT in 2005 but they didnt mention them then. I just went through a scare about having ALS 3 years ago. It turned out to me some electrolyte problem with a messed up kidney. I finally got myslef to settle down and now this. I know I will eventually calm down, but it just scrares me so. My mother died from Breast cancer/lung cancer. She went through hell before she died. It had a huge impact on my life when I was in my mid 20's. I am not 44 and have a son about the same age as I was when my mom was diagnosed. I worry more about my loved ones than myself really. Here i go - convincing myslef i have cancer when it seems less that a 1% chance that i do. At least that is what i read. Anyway, I am mostly here to just vent and maybe find a support network, other than family. I dont like to worry them with my worrying, but seems hard to not show my fear. Anyway, thanks for listening.