Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lung Nodules

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lung Nodules

I'm very scared.  I went to the emergency room in July and my blood pressure was up and I know now that I was having a panic attack but they decided since I felt like I couldn't breath good they would do a cat scan on my lungs.  They came back and said I had a 4 mm in the lower lobe of one lung and a 8 mm in the lower lobe of the other lung.  The er dr., radiologists and my md said they did not have any irregular appearance and they were smooth but the radiologist recommended me to be rescanned in 3-6 months.  The report said no I think it was called plural infusion or something (they told me that meant no fluid in my lungs).  I have not had a single episode since then and have walked several miles per week and worked every day and other than being scared to death I feel great.  I have never smoked, I do not work with chemicals, I do not live with a smoker or hang out where smoking occurs.  I live in East Tennessee and I have lived on or near the lake most of my life and I'm 49.  All of my blood work looks great according to the dr.  I feel great.  The er dr told me if they thought I had cancer they would not have let me leave the er they would have set me up with a pulmanologist right away and my md told me the same thing.  They have told me they can't tell me 100% that they think it is not cancer but they feel very confident at saying they are about 99% sure it is not.  They said it is common to find these on ct scans and I could have had it all my life, it could be histo, from where I have had pneumonia in the past, etc.  I guess I'm just looking to see if waiting to have the next scan in three weeks is the right approach to this before I seek further review.  they told me that often when you are sick things settle to the bottom of your lungs and that may be what happened.  I'm so scared that they may have increased in size and that might mean cancer.  I do not have any thing coming up from my lungs nor am I sick in anyway. Any advice is appreciated.
I can readily understand why you might be quite “scared” by the events you describe below, in good detail.  At the same time, I agree completely with your doctors who have suggested that, in reality, you have nothing to worry about.  The 4 mm and 8 mm (not irregular) nodules are, indeed, quite common on CT scans and nodules of this size, found in the lungs of a 49 year old woman who has never smoked, and with the rarest of exceptions, are benign.  99% assurance, in your circumstance, is about the best one can get in this world, so please do your best to not allow this worry to make your life miserable at this time.

You live in an area that is endemic for Histoplasmosis and so many of your neighbors also have un-calcified lung nodules such as yours.  If you have had chest X-rays in the past it could be helpful for the X-ray doctor to review them and compare them with your most recent X-rays.  On review, it might be appreciated that the nodules have been present for a long time.

While you fear is understandable it is not warranted.  Their recommendation to repeat scanning in 3-6 months is sound and there is no risk in waiting.  Be re-assured by the confidence with which your lung specialist has declared these lesions to be something to not worry about.

Good luck