Respiratory Disorders Community
Lung Scar Tissue- what causes this?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Lung Scar Tissue- what causes this?

For the past few months, I've been having some difficulty breathing.  It's hard to explain- it doesn't seem to get much worse with exertion- it's just a general labored breathing, even in a rested state.  It's not even that bad- it's just bad enough that I notice myself breathing and have to make a little bit of a conscious effort to get more air, and usually have to breath through my mouth to get enough (though I've always had to breath through my mouth a bit).

I do have rather severe GERD with a small hiatal hernia, though I've been taking prevacid for the past year (though I had been missing some doses, the last 4 weeks I've taken it every day).

I had a chest xray, and it came back "basically" normal, according to the Dr.  However, it did have a little mark of scar tissue (I forget what he called it- technically, but he explained it as scar tissue).  He's now sending me to a lung specialist, but didn't seem too concerned about it, and said it wouldn't be causing my symptoms.  He seems to be leaning towards some sort of reactive lung disorder.  he doesn't think it's from my acid reflux, since I've been on those pills.

Anyway, my question is, what might have caused this scar tissue on my lung?  Will it go away?  Does a small amount of scar tissue have a noticeable affect, or can it grow?  Could it be indicative of a serious problem?

PS: I'm 32 years old and in otherwise good health.  I had a pulmonary function test (the basic kind), and it came back basically normal.  The doc gave me a sprayer thing, but it doesn't seem to do anything much.
I have scar tissue build up in my back from having surgery. Can this tissue spread to my lungs. I do have pulmanary fibrosis and pulmanary hypertension.  Are these two linked.