Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lung fuction test results

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lung fuction test results

I had Acute Respiratory Distress syndrome about 8 months ago and ended up on life support for about 3 weeks..I am doing pretty good.  Wanting to know more about my results on testing.  I am 31 year old female and always healty!
MY FVC is 85
   FEVI is 88
FEVI/FVC 104

TLC 87
DLCO/cor 63
These values are within normal limits.  With the information provided it's not possible to tell about the DLCO.  Without having previous pulmonary function tests for comparison, it
Normal values are based upon the age, height, ethnicity, and sex of the person being tested. Normal results are expressed as a percentage. A value is usually considered abnormal if it is less than 80% of the predicted value for that person.

Abnormal results usually mean that a degree of chest or lung disease or injury may be present.

FVC - Forced Vital Capacity - after the patient has taken in the deepest possible breath, this is the volume of air which can be forcibly and maximally exhaled out of the lungs until no more can be expired. FVC is usually expressed in units called liters. This PFT value is critically important in the diagnosis of obstructive and restrictive diseases

FEV1 - Forced Expiratory Volume in One Second - this is the volume of air which can be forcibly exhaled from the lungs in the first second of a forced expiratory manuever. It is expressed as liters. This PFT value is critically important in the diagnosis of obstructive and restrictive diseases.

FEV1/FVC - FEV1 Percent (FEV1%) - This number is the ratio of FEV1 to FVC - it indicates what percentage of the total FVC was expelled from the lungs during the first second of forced exhalation - this number is called FEV1%, %FEV1 or FEV1/FVC ratio. This PFT value is critically important in the diagnosis of obstructive and restrictive diseases.

TLC- Total lung capacity. The amount of air your lungs can hold.

Testing the diffusion capacity (also called the DLCO) permits an estimate of how efficiently the lungs transfer oxygen from the air into the bloodstream.

Normal PFT Outcomes:  > 85% of predicted values
Mild Disease:         > 65% but < 85% of predicted values
Moderate Disease:     > 50% but < 65% of predicted values
Severe Disease:       < 50 % of predicted values

Go back to your results and compare the values vs the predicted for your height, age, ethnicity, and sex. This should give you an idea of where you stand.

Hope this helps.

~L (Registered Respiratory Therapist)

Hi llrt:  
I read some of your answers, and see that you are a professional in the respitory field, as this is someone else's thread I would like to ask you, or beg you to please e-mail me as I really need some advice outside of my pulmo, PLEASE

***@****