Respiratory Disorders Community
Lung nodule that is growing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Lung nodule that is growing

I have a signle pulmonary nodule on my right lower lobe that was found by accident in Nov 07. It was 0.9cm. Had another CT 3 months later and it had grown to 1.2cm. Had a PET scan and it was negative. Dr didn't seem to concerned because I'm 35 and have never smoked but wanted another scan in 3 months..the report said that it was showing signs of regression..Yea!..but a Nov. 08 scan showed further enlargement to 1.6 cm....had a needle biopsy Dec. 08 that was inconclusive.....we decided to wait 3 months for another scan.....April 09 showed that it had not changed....we were happy with that! Had another scan in Nov. 09 and the nodule is now 2.7 cm.....I go for a core needle biopsy tomorrow...but the pulmonologist wanted me to go straight to surgery..I insisted on the biopsy. He is concerned that it may be a slow growing kind of cancer. I have two children and a husband and am scared to death. That is a huge surgery to go through for something that could be harmless. Anyone else out there with a similar situation??