Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lung nodule vs. granuloma

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lung nodule vs. granuloma

In Ocotober 02 I had pneumonia.  I had a Chest xray then and a repeat in 3 months to check the status.  The intial chest xray showed the pneumnia and the repeat showed a "2-3mm nodule probably seen on xray but not noted on previous study".  I took this to my Radiologist friend in the hospital and he saw the nodule but called it a granuloma.  What is a lung granuloma and why is it there?  Being an RN in Oncology you can understand why this is unnerving to me.  I know what a granuloma is......but never in my years have I read a report or heard it tagged to a lung.  I also know I've smoked for.....eek...... 27 years. So I'm going for a Ct scan tomorrow (the report didn't make it to the ordering Dr. so it was delayed and I thought it was nothing because he didn't call me for the CT scan).  I've tried to ease my own fears, but this granuloma thing has me stumped. Any ideas?
A nodule is usually a small, round shadow seen on chest x-ray anywhere in the lungs.  A 2 to 3 mm nodule is very small.  The smaller the nodule, the less likely it is to be cancer.  You should get your previous chest x-rays so they can be compared with the most recent.  If this nodule was on a previous chest x-ray taken 2 or more years ago and is unchanged, no further testing is needed.

Nodules are due to infections, inflammation, or tumors.  It
Thank you for your responce.  I had the Ct Scan and it was normal.  It appears that it was just a granuloma from the prior pneumonia.  Thankfully!  It was a wake up call for me to say the least.........guess my smoking days are limited.  It's not going to be easy but I am determined to quit smoking while my lungs are looking good.  Thank you again.
About five years ago I went to a walk-in medical center to get an x-ray because I thought I had pneumonia. Well they scared the daylights out of me when a few days later they called and said they found something wrong with my x-ray, and said there was some spots on my lung. Well it turned out to be nothing - a granuloma of some sort.

I went to a local hospital and had another radiologist give me a 2nd opinion and he said it was nothing to worry about.

It's been about five years now and I haven't had another x-ray since then and I have no symptoms of anything.

I have also been a smoker for about 30 years now.

So don't worry too much about this.

I have been going back & forth trying to get some answer's, may be you can help, I have a small sinus of valsalva aneurysm, they also found a 5x3mm nodule on my lung.My question is, is this some thing i should be worried about? Also can I work with this?, or should there be some restriction's with this? I cann't seem to get my family DR. on the phone to find any of this out,we play phone tag.
I walk around dizzy, shortness of breath,hoarseness,weightloss(40LBS.)I'm tired most of the time, my heart rapitally beat's at time's, my bp was 110/95 the last time I got it checked it.so can some one give me an idea on what to do?
YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT; ***@****
                  THANK YOU!
for taking to time to read my post.
YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT; ***@****
                  THANK YOU!
for taking to time to read my post.
YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT; ***@****
                  THANK YOU!
for taking to time to read my post.
YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT; ***@****
                  THANK YOU!
for taking to time to read my post.
I recently had a routine chest x-ray and I smoke but not that much.  I can go weeks without a smoke.  But 2 yrs ago I had very bad bronchitis that would not go away with anitbiotics..and it lasted 6 wks.  I was give amox. and it did not work then I was give the VPack which did  help out and I got well. All this in 6 wks.  I live in Phx, Az (where we have Valley Fever) so I am wondering after reading the report below.  Do you suppose this bronchitis caused this, since the following year I got it again. No one ever took an x-ray at the time.  Can you imagine that? The report is below:
-------------------------------------------------------------
On the lateral film, there is a 1 cm nodular-like density in the infrahilar region, not clearly identified on previous study.  This may represent overlapping or possibly small granuloma.  
The Total Impression is as follows... 1).No acute cardiopulmonary disease. 2). Questionable nodular density infrahilar region on the hilar view.  Since prior films are not available, recommend 3 month follow-up to further evaluate.
Another Doctor was consulted,who is a radiologist, recommended I go and take another x-ray within a month and not to wait 3 months.  I have 2 opinions on the same report.This report was reviewed by 2 radiologists. So I am going in for this xray again.  My question is as follows:  
Are these Doctors on the right track?
I breathe just fine.. and nothing hurts me.  I feel totally good. I do not smoke anymore as per this report. Don't miss the habit.
A related discussion, Multiple Nodules was started.