Respiratory Disorders Community
Lung nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Lung nodule

I am a 60 year old female in fair health.  For the past 4 mos. or so, I have been having alot of congestion, wheezing and shortness of breath.  I have had 2 rounds of antibiotics and a steriod shot. Was sent for a lung function test which turned out somewhat ok in that I have good air intake and good output up to a point and then I wheeze quite a bit at the final exhale.  Had a CT scan which showed a 6 mil nodule on my right lung.  I also have alot of allergies and was sent to an allergist for testing.  I do still have alot of allergies and am on Singular, Allergra, and two inhalers - MaxAir and ProAir (sometimes I get really tight and it is hard to breath), and I use a steriod nasal spray.  They seem to help with my allergies but I just feel like there is still something not quite right in my right lung.  The allergist recommended that I start injections which I haven't decided on yet.

Normally, I wouldn't be so concerned but I have a history of lung cancer in my family.  My younger sister passed away from non-small cell lung cancer (smoker), and my younger brother had most of his right lung removed about two years ago, also from non-small cell lung cancer.  Thankfully, he is a survivor about 2 yrs. He smoked also but had stopped about 10 years prior).  I have never smoked!  

After finding the nodule on my lung, my PCP's nurse called me to say they were referring me to a  lung specialist. At my visit with him, he was very helpful in addressing my concerns.  He told me the lung nodules were not uncommon and he felt we should wait and see, keep a eye on it and have another CT scan in about 6 mos.  He  prescribed medication for coughing and another anihistamine to take at night to help me relax, sleep and breath better.  After about 2 weeks, I still have congestion and wheezing, although it is somewhat better.   I have another follow up visit with him in about 2 weeks.  

I just feel like I am being passed around to everyone. Am not fully convienced that my problem is all allergy related.  Do you have any suggestions?