Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lung nodules and bone lesion

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lung nodules and bone lesion

I previously posted about a 4mm and a 5mm nodules one in each lung. Reply said as I was an asymptomatic patient aged 42, the chances of mets are low. I have no symptoms apart from some heartburn. The ct report also shows a sclerotic bone lesion in lumbar spine 'probably a bone island'. I have a follow up ct next month sometime. Even without the symptoms of a primary cancer I am concerned these things found in a ct for something unrelated could be mets.

I would really appreciate any comments. What are the chances of mets? Low or high?
Yes, the odds of these nodules being met's are low, especially in a healthy non-smoker, but the possibility that they could be met's is real.  You mention that you have no symptoms of a primary cancer.  Equally important is to have no history of a previous cancer.

As previously mentioned, review of previous X-rays and Scans could be very informative.  The "sclerotic bone lesion probably a bone island" is probably just that and unrelated to the nodules.  You might want to check with your doctor about whether a combination CT-PET Scan might be helpful in this circumstance.

The following is also worth considering and in your favor:  With nodules too small to be seen on chest radiographs and found only on CT, the probability of multiple metastases is lower and the chance of multiple granulomas is higher.

Nodules this size usually do lend themselves to minimally invasive procedures such as needle aspiration or minimal surgery (called VATS) unless they are located in the peripheral part of one's lung, immediately adjacent to the pleural surface.

It definitely can be nerve-racking having to wait for a month or longer but that is probably your best choice.

Good luck