Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lung problems show up after Lung function test

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hi everybody. Friday I had a physical for a new job. One of the tests I had was a lung capacity test. I had to take a deep breath and then blow out hard through a tube for as long as I could. I could only blow for about 4 seconds. My reading was in the low 80's. I was told that normal readings for someone my age is in the 100's. The doctor told me I had the lung capacity of a 68 year old man. I then had a chest X-ray and he said that everything looks fine. He thought I should go to my personal doctor and get checked out.

Does anyone have a clue what the cause of this could be?

I have never smoked. Last year I went to a pulmonologist after there was some cloudiness on my X-ray. I went through all the tests then, but everything came back normal. He said that the cloudiness was probably scar tissue, maybe getting over pneumonia. I'm wondering if it could be my job. I work in a machine shop where we cut metal and I'm just wondering if the burning smell of the metal could have something to do with it. I've been having problems with taking deep breaths lately. My heart and everything else have basically been pronounced fine. I just don't know what it is. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank You...
For the lung capacity test that you did there is a range of normal values.  Generally 80% or greater is consider to be in the normal range.  The most important question to be answered is:  "Has your lung capacity test or your chest x-ray worsened since last year?
BTW, I am 37 years old...so when the doc told me about having the capacity of a 68 year old man...it hit me hard.