Respiratory Disorders Community
Lymph nodes swollen in the lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Lymph nodes swollen in the lungs

I went in for my yearly physical about a week ago.  I as well wanted to check out why I couldn't get rid of this chest congestion.  I never get colds or any chest congestion so this really bothered me. I was even more concerned when I could not rid the congestion with the use of the over the counter medication mucinex.  I told my PCP, I had this congestion for about 6 weeks.  Of course the physician took a chest x-ray which revealed the following information.

There is enlargement of both hila but especially on the right side.  These findings are consistent with adenopathy. The left side is merely somewhat prominent but the right side is significantly enlarged.  There is questionable prominence of the right paratracheal region.  No focal air space disease is seen but there is some prominence of interstitial markings.  Is there any history of sarcoidosis in the patient?  No pleural effusions seen.

Impression:  Hilar prominence on the left but marked  enlargement on the right hilum.  Other diseases such as lymphoma also have to be considered.   Also this could even represent a lung tumor with hila involvement initially.  A CT examination with contract would be appropriate for further evaluation.

I had the CT scan today.  It revealed there is some inflammation in my lungs. (swollen lymph nodes) I am now to consult with a pulmonary specialist.   My PCP also indicated there is nothing to be alarm about at this time but he recommends further evaluation.  He indicated the swelling of the lymph nodes could be something but then again it may not be anything to worry about.  

My doctor seemed very evasion over the phone, so I need to know what could I be possibly diagnosed with and the complications that accompany the diagnosis. I have never smoked in my life.  I eat and live a healthy lifestyle. I workout and run at least 4 days a week.   I do everything possible to make sure by body function as it should.   I just do not understand how this could occur in someone like myself.  

One other question, could pneumonia cause the lymph nodes to swell?

Thank you.