Respiratory Disorders Community
MINIMAL PTB

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

MINIMAL PTB

My friend had a chest x-ray and based on the findings,it says Minimal PTB of undetermined activity,in the right upper lung zone.Please correlate with other clinical and laboratory parameters.On his chest x-ray findings show that there is a hazy densities seen in the right upper lung zone.The heart is not enlarged.The rest of visualized chest structures are remarkable.I would like to know all about this?Is this a serious disease?Is there a treatment for this?How can this be cure?.............Please help me.Thanks.
what is mean by undetermined PTB activity.
Hi, it means the densities could be latent inactive encapsulated TB infection, scarring from previous active infection of PTB that's healed, another infection resembling PTB, or newly activated PTB. Other clinical/laboratory correlation is needed by your doctor(e.g. history/exposure of PTB, positive sputum culture for Mycobacteria Tuberculosis, positive PPD). Take care
based on my xray 3yrs ago i have a ptb undetermined activity based on the result of my medical examination i take 2 months medicine only..Do i have this tell now? but ive never have a cough..  if ever i have this sickness can it be infect to another? specially to my kid but i dont have any symtoms (symptoms)  of having ptb.it seems im a healthy person..
Is undetermined ptb activity is a scarring sickness or is this a serious problem? what is the sign or symtoms (symptoms) of having this kind of sicknesses,.How long can cure this problem..
PTB undetermined activity.. is this an active TB.
Hi, I'm not a doctor, for a doctor's response you can post in this forum:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Respiratory-Disorders/show/128

PTB has to be active to be contagious, and is primarily spread by coughing water droplets infected with TB that are coughed out. Usually you have to "stew" a few hours in an infected persons cough in a confined area to catch it, it's not spread as easily as influenza is.

PTB is considered active if you have clinical symptoms, and your phlegm culture/pcr and/or tuberculin challenge has showed that you are infected with TB.

Basically if you live in a TB endemic area like the Philippines they tend to treat an abnormal x-ray as PTB until proven otherwise, and undetermined PTB as active until proven otherwise. TB will lay dormant in the lungs encased in a waxy cocoon waiting for your immune system do get run down so it can activate for the rest of your life if untreated. About a third the worlds population is infected with latent TB. That's why it's so important to treat inactive latent TB infection even if you feel great. You probably took a four or five drug combination for two months. They must have determined that your PTB was latent or they would have had you continue taking the two drug combo Isoniazid and Rifampicin for another four months.

You can talk to your doctor about some of these things, hope this helps. Take care.