Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
MY 6 YEAR OLD SON COUGHING FOR LAST FOUR WEEKS
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MY 6 YEAR OLD SON COUGHING FOR LAST FOUR WEEKS

MY SIX YEAR OLD SON IS COUGHING FOR LAST FOUR WEEKS. COUGH IS A DRY COUGH. THE COUGH STARTED WITH A RUNNING NOSE AND FEVER. WE CONSULTED A PAEDIATRICIAN AND HE PRESCRIBED AN ANTIBIOTIC "CEFUROXINE" FOR FIVE DAYS AND PARACETAMOL AND MYCOLYTE COUGH SYRUP. BUT THE COUGH STILL EXISTS. LESS COUGHING DURING SLEEP BUT COUGING REGULARLY DURING THE DAY. BREATHING DIFFICULTIES ARE NOT WITNESSED. WE STARTED GIVING HIM NOW VENTROL SYRUN 5 ML TID AND PROSPAN SYRUP. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE REASON FOR THIS CONTINOUS AND NON ENDING COUGHING AND WHAT COURSE OF ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN FURTHER.
242587_tn?1355427710
As you know, there are very many causes of persistent cough, bacterial, viral and allergic of the upper and/or lower respiratory tract.  Sometimes just mechanical by non-infectious post-nasal drip.  Many of the infectious causes, for example pertussis (whooping cough) can result in a cough that takes months to resolve.

The important thing at this time is improving, albeit only slightly with the nocturnal cough, but that is encouraging.  An assessment of his overall well-being would also be important (e.g., appetite, energy level etc.).

It would be wise for him to be re-evaluated by the doctor who saw him and prescribed the listed medication to make a judgment about whether the persistent cough is an indication of a complication or just following the natural course of his disease.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank