Respiratory Disorders Community
Massive excess mucus production nightmare - help please
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Massive excess mucus production nightmare - help please

For the past two years i have suffured with some sort of chronic mucus problem main symtoms (symptoms) as follows:
- Excess mucus produced in the nose and throat 24/7 and thick post nasal drip.
- Massively worse to the point of making me sick and affecting normal breathing when outside, doing any exercise or even just walking outside, and also when eating (prevents me eating as much as i need to).
- Also have ear ache all the time (with gungy crappy discharge sometimes).  Probably as a result of massive noseblowing all the time.
- I am geneally miserable and depressed with it as the condition stops me eating properly and doing everything i want to do.  It takes so much time to manage the symtoms (symptoms) and nothing i can do really helps it much.

I am not sure what i have been diagnosed with as i dont think any doctors i have seen really know what is causing it.  All i know is before it started chronically 2 years ago, i had suffered a number of acute exacebations of bronchitis/sinusitis infection in the year and a half (roughly) leading up.  These acute episodes were always cleared up by amoxicillin.  Then one day 2 years ago when i was exeriencing the return an acute episode i went to the doctor for some amoxillin fully expecting to get it and was refused.  So i hought id go back in a couple of weeks when it was a bit worse then he would surely see the problem.  But i was refused again even tho i explained that amoxicillin was what sorted it out.  It wasnt until over 3 months later that the doctor acknowledged i had a problem and decided to treat it, with amoxicillin.  Finally i thought great, except this time it didnt work.  From then up until now i have been prescribed all the nasal sprays under the sun which have had no effect.  I have also had amoxicillin (again), erythromycin and clarythromycin which had no effect.  I have also had turbinate surgery which helped as over time the turbinates had become enlarged and the surgery made my nose more breathable but did nothing for the mucus discharge or my throat.

Still desparate to get rid of this miserable condition making my life hell, ruining my relationships etc...  :-(  I do think that the root of the problem is bacterial because of all the prior infections which were cleared up by amoxicillin.  Thinkin could i have something resistant?  What tests could be done to know for sure?  Would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on the matter from people in the know / people who suffer with the same.

Lloyd