Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Mediastinal and Hilar Lymphadenopathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Mediastinal and Hilar Lymphadenopathy

I recently had a routine chest x-ray which showed a mass on my right lung.  A CT Scan was done and the findings were evidence of Mediastinal and Hilar Lymphadenopathy and recommended a PET scanning.  After the Chest x-ray was taken I asked my physician if I can have a flu shot, his answer was yes, and the shot was given prior to the CT Scan. Could the flu shot have caused the enlarged lymph node.
The flu shot does not cause a lymph node to become enlarged.  A CT scan shows more detail than a chest x-ray.  So what was seen as a mass on the chest x-ray before you were given the flu shot is being seen as enlarged lymph nodes in the mediastinal and hilar area of the lung on the CT scan after you were given the flu shot.  The mediastinal area is in the center of the lungs along the breastbone or sternum.  The lung hilar is the area at the center of the lungs near the heart.
1 Comment
A related discussion, enlarged lymph node mediastinum 12mm was started.