Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Mediastinal and Hilar Lymphadenopathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Mediastinal and Hilar Lymphadenopathy

I posted a question a couple of days ago about a 12mm SPN that shows nonspecific.  On my last CT of the chest it showed to be 13mm (only a week after the first test-radiologist said could have been artifact).  On this CT it also showed "borderline bilateral mediastinal and hilar lymphadenopathy".  When I asked my doctor he didn't really explain and said he was more worried about the SPN. Could someone please explain what this may mean?  I have a PET scan scheduled for this Thursday so hopefully I will have answers soon.  Thanks for the help!
JTerry
The difference between 12 mm and 13 mm is within the limits of the technique.  This is probably of no clinical significance.

Hilar lymphadenopathy is another way of saying the lymph nodes in the upper middle area of the lungs near the heart are larger than usual.  This can occur by itself without any other health problem.  There are many causes.  When this happens it usually causes no symptoms and is of no consequence.  The mediastinum is the area between the lungs that contains the heart, blood vessels, the trachea, large bronchial tubes, and lymph nodes.

The single pulmonary nodule (SPN) and the "borderline bilateral mediastinal and hilar lymphadenopathy" are most likely related.  If the appearance of the enlarged lymph nodes in the mediastinum and hilar area are characteristic of a specific health problem, this could reveal more about the nature of the nodule.  The PET scan may allow your doctors to further limit the number of possibilities.  However it may be necessary to do further testing to determine the cause of this nodule.  Mediastinascopy is a relatively non-invasive procedure that allows several different pieces of tissue to be taken for testing.  This technique is often used to gather pieces of tissue from enlarged mediastinal lymph nodes.
I sustained sarcoidosis and hilar adenopathy after taking Accutane.
A related discussion, nonspecific lymph nodes in mediastimun was started.