Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Medical Questions
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Medical Questions

I just found out that I have COPD.  Yea I smoke my my quit date is January 8,2009.   Have a lot of headaches, have pain in my chest that goes into my back is this normal?  I went to the hospital yesterday because my blood pressure was very high they said my heart is fine. Gave me pain pills for the pain and sent me home. Do I feel any better, no I do not.  Will I ever feel any better?
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
Having a “lot of headaches and pain in my chest that goes into my back” is definitely abnormal and not something that would be caused by chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).  No matter what, you should definitely do your best to stop smoking, January 8, as you promised yourself you would do.  There are many causes for chest pain, including what can be associated with “very high blood pressure.”  Your heart may “be fine” now, but it will eventually not “be fine” if the “very high blood pressure” is not controlled, and soon.  Greatly elevated blood pressure could give you a heart attack or a stroke, regardless of how old you are.  COPD can eventually make your life miserable and will if you don’t quit smoking.  But COPD is not an immediate threat to your life.  The high blood pressure is!!

You need to see a doctor, not another hospital/emergency room (ER) visit, who will listen to your story and start you on blood pressure medicine, immediately.  Do not delay.

Good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank