Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Medications

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Medications
I was diagnosed with COPD in 2002 after having a PFT done. I also had a chest x-ray taken, which I'm told was normal, although I have never been shown the x-ray. The dr. prescribed Azmacort Inhaler, 20GM/100MCG, two times a day; Serevent Diskus, 50 MCG/60 puffs, two times a day, and a fast acting inhaler, Albuterol, 17GM/90MCG, as needed. Is this a good combination? The cost is rather high for both the Serevent and the Azmacort. Would I get the same results if I asked the dr. to take me off the Azmacort or the Serevent?
This is a good combination.  As long as this is helping your breathing there would not be any health reason to make changes.  While this is a good combination it does not include the newest medicine being used to treat COPD.  Spiriva
Talk with your doctor about your financial issues with your meds--there are samples docs have to help folks who have a hard time paying for their meds.  There are also drug programs to help pay for meds, like http://www.needymeds.com.

It may take some experimenting, working CLOSELY with your doc to find the best combination of medications for you, which adequately control your symptoms and have the fewest side effects, and are within your budget.

Good luck!
Starion
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker