Respiratory Disorders Community
Mehylprednisolone and chest tightness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Mehylprednisolone and chest tightness

A little background, I have been sick for 2.5mths first diagnosis was asthmatic bronchitis but now my doctor is saying that it may be allergies related. I have had chest tightness, coughing, trouble breathing, fatigue, dizziness and excess mucus. Over the weekend I had very bad chest tightness and could barely breathe. Trip to urgent care had me on my 3rd round of antibiotics and a 6 day tapered medrol pack.

I am on day 3 of the medrol pack and yesterday was actually the only day I felt great - breathing normally, more energy than usual. Today while I am not as tired as I have been since I have been sick, the chest tightness reoccurred briefly in the afternoon. Using my albuterol inhaler helped, then the coughing returned. I still have a lot of mucus and my chest is slightly tight. It is all not as bad as it was before but is the medrol pack supposed to help clear this up? I thought at the very least I would have relief during the 6 days I am on it.
Most asthmatics will use their rescue inhaler at maximum dosage (minimum timing and maximum number of puffs on the prescription) along with the mederol or prednesone (whenever they are sick).  This helps to minimize the amount of oral steroids that are taken.  Also, you should follow up with your primary care provider about increasing your inhaled corticosteroid.  Many patients will increase that while they are sick.  

The mederol should help to open your airways and remove the congestion; but if it is working alone, it won't do quite as good of a job.

I do recommend that you check with your primary for further directions on getting over that bug.

Feel better.
The thing is I do not have a history of asthma. If this does not work then my doctor is going to do a spirometry test for asthma since it has been bothering me for more than 2 months. Thanks for the info about the albuterol inhaler, my doc said to continue using it but I thought the steroids would pretty much be the cure all (wishful thinking I guess).
A lot of patients will be put on inhalers to get them over bronchitis or pneumonia more quickly even if they don't have asthma.  Another thought would be illness induced asthma - asthma only with respiratory illnesses or allergies.  Some doctors really try to avoid the asthma diagnosis as it can make it hard to get insurance in the US.

I pray that the use of the albuterol more helps you feel better more quickly.  My regimen calls for use around the clock, but that is REALLY anoying.  You can decide if you want to do that or not.

Feel better.