Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Mild Chest Tightness for Almost Two Weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have had mild/occasional chest tightness for almost two weeks now (12 days).  It started in the evening while I was just hanging out with family, so not during any stressful situations or physical activity.  It came out of nowhere and was mild (and has continued to be mild except last night when I started getting really worried about it, but once I calmed my self down it was mild/occasional again).  But when it first happened, I just found it really odd because I don't remember ever feel anything like it before.  I've had anxiety and chest pains, but never tightness.  Today I've been paranoid about it and it has been slightly worse, so I took at 25mg alprazolam.  It helped mostly but not 100%.  I think it is anxiety, although I don't FEEL stressed, but a lot is going on right now so I probably am more than I feel.  I'm hoping it's just from stress/anxiety, but since chest tightness isn't something I've experienced from anxiety in the past, I'm worried it may be something more serious.  But the fact that it has gone on for a couple weeks makes me think if it was something serious, it would have gotten worse by now.
The somewhat non-specific symptom of, “tightness of the chest” lends itself to several interpretations.  For example it can be a symptom of coronary artery disease (the equivalent of chest pain) or a restriction of breathing, as experienced with asthma or COPD.  It can occur with acid reflux resulting in spasm of the esophagus or, as you have indicated, as a symptom secondary to anxiety.

It is a symptom, especially when one not previously experienced and  sustained, that should not be ignored or written-off as benign (even when “mild”.)  Being “mild” it is probably something you could live with but I strongly recommend that you consult with your physician to rule out the more serious physical causes and not assume it to not be of significance, for two reasons: (1) it will add to your anxiety and could influence the way you live your life (fear of the unknown can be powerful) and 2) it could be a sign of serious heart or lung disease, amenable to treatment.

Good  luck