Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Mild hyperinflation on x ray.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Mild hyperinflation on x ray.

I recently had a xray and it showed mild Hyperinflation..Because i am 53 and have been a smoker for 38 years of course it was presumed i had early stages of Emphysema and if i stopped smoking now things would be fine..I did a spiromerty test.. Got the results and took them too 2 doctors that know me well. one says you dont have emphysema you have  asthma also Anxiety. Both asthma and anxiety can cause mild hyperinflation on a lung xray.The other doctor says i have the early stages of emphysema and asthma..Ok I know the drill its safe to give up smoking now for a thousand reasons... .The spiromertry test said unconfirmend which means its left up to my doctor to deceide what i have...  My question is regarding  the doctor that says its early stages of emphysema.Is that prediction based on the assumption because of my age and smoking ,emphysema would be presend. Is their any way i can possibility find out if it is the early stages of emphysema.?.Because, Asthma, Anxiety emphysema can all cause mild hyperinflation.. many Thanks.
You could have asthma, emphysema or both.  While it might not be possible to distinguish between them on the basis of hyperinflation, alone but your history, record of response (or not) to medication, seasonality (or not) etc. might allow for a determination of which disease(s) is most likely.  In addition, a reduced carbon monoxide diffusion capacity (DLCO) , on pulmonary function testing would be consistent with the diagnosis of emphysema whereas an elevated DLCO would suggest the diagnosis of asthma.

You ask, “Is that prediction based on the assumption because of my age and smoking ,emphysema would be present. Is there any way I can possibility find out if it is the early stages of emphysema.?”  

I suspect that your assumption regarding your doctor’s assumption is correct.  A CT scan of your lungs would probably be the best way to distinguish between the two.  However, if you are to engage in smoking cessation regardless of the diagnosis, you should ask your doctor, what further purpose would be served by a demonstration of the “early stages of emphysema, besides the possibility that such knowledge might be a (necessary)  motivating factor for smoking cessation efforts to be successful.  

Good luck