Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Mildly hyperinflated lungs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Mildly hyperinflated lungs

I went for a Chest Xray and there was no broncitis or phomonia.The result said
MILDLY HYPERINFLATED LUNGS.
I have no history of any lung disease.I do not smoke or drink.
I have had 2 courses of anti-biotics.I am just producing xtra mucus
and it is white in colour.I saw the web and it said it could signs of Asthma.
My G.P. did not respond to this xray and filed the report.
I do not have any breathing problems.No fever,just slight cough.Will this xtra
mucus go away on its own or you think it needs further investigation.
thanks.
Mildly hyperinflated lungs are consistent with a number of lung diseases including, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, bronchiolitis obliterans and sub-optimally controlled asthma.  Clear mucus, in a non-smoker, in association with hyperinflation, a slight cough and no history of any lung disease is most consistent with the diagnosis of asthma.  You should ask your doctor to order pulmonary function tests (PFTs) or spirometry, before and after inhaling a bronchodilator to see if your measured lung function is also consistent with asthma.

If so, you should be treated for asthma, and not with antibiotics.  The excessive mucus is unlikely to go away on its own.
I am 55 years old, overweight and have the following problems. I have gurgling or crackling noises on my left side mainly, when breathing. It does not happen all the time just sometimes. I had a very slight similar problem for about a year or so but not as pronunced and it moved around the chest area more. I have been treated for ~5 or 6 years by a pulmonologist. I had an elevated diaphram that they could find no reason for and a lung nodule that gradually disappeared over a couple of years. I also get winded very easily. I was also diagnosed with asthma and sleep apena. This gurgling breath sound that I sometimes experience is very annoying. I seem to have a fair amount of drainage during the night (in my throat) I recently went to my local er when the problem became worrying and they did a chest x-ray and a chest ct-scan (no contrast) which they told me was negative-normal. I have an appointment in about a month to go in to my pulmonary specialist for a check up. Do you have any ideas as to where this problem is coming from? Thanks in advance.
Is it possible to develop Asthma-i have never had it,nor there is a family
history.I am 56.just wondering.
MR.Bhuta.