Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Mucus thickening, snoring, bad breath and what not!

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have a problem that I've been trying to get fixed for long now. I have a thick mucus feeling at the back of my throat constantly...24/7/365. I've had a septoplasty, UPPP & Sinus revision. They have thinned out the mucus secretions, but, I have terrible breath... I know it is not higine... I brush twice a day and use Hyd. peroxide... I have noticed that the symptoms are worse in Airconditioning and generally in cold weather.. Drinking cold fluids, including water brings the lumpy feeling in the throat. I've been treated with Amoxicillin and Avelox. Did not help. I use Nasochort. So far, no help. Benerdryll works... Mucinex does not. Drinking plenty of water makes very little difference.
My allergist suggested that I get vaccinated for my allegies (pepper, some fungi and dust mites). But when I asked him about the cold weather scenario, he said that other than avoidance, all I can do is take the drug that works, for the rest of my life!!!! Avoidance of cold weather cannot happen... take Benedryll everyday for the rest of my life??? Doesn't sound too good. OVer time will it not lose potency and what about the side effects?
The only remedy that I am looking for is for the bad breath... like I said, Benedryll helps.. but it makes me very drowsy and increases my snoring in the night... I snore from the back of my nose, not the throat (like a snort).
Is there anything that I can do to fix the problem??
I'm really deperate for a fix.
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, a stuffy nose, achy teeth, an odor coming from the nose, cough, laryngitis, lightheadedness, constant low fever, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.

The best way to identify a sinus infection is with a sinus CT scan, although sinus x-rays are a decent alternative.  A sinus CT scan will also identify if any of the openings that drain your sinuses are blocked.  If your symptoms are due to sinusitis, they will last as long as the inflammation continues.  Here are some ways to clear up the inflammation.  Please check with your doctor to see which of these would work best for you.  Usually sinus surgery is considered when these techniques have not been helpful.  Please read our Sinusitis MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/sin.html for more information.

This inflammation can block sinus drainage and cause increased mucus production.  The mucus may
Can you please describe the mucus in more detail?  I am experiencing an accumulation of a large volume of sticky, clear mucus with a diffuse white suspension on the left side of my nose/mouth.  CT scans show a smooth, 1 cm polyp in my left maxillary antrum, at the site of a prior tooth extraction.  Treatments with Levaquine, Flagyl, Cipro, and some cephalosporins have been unsuccessful.  I am considering a treatment with Augmentin, as well as surgical debridement of the polyp.
I just read your question and it was like reading my own story.
I have the same problem.  I don't have any major sinus problems.
No pain, no congestion.  But I clear my throat all the time and I feel like there is something stuck in the back of my throat plus the breath problem.  It is driving me crazy.  I'm always on the computere looking for something that might help.  I have not been to a doc yet but have an appt scheduled.  The only things that I'm doing now is using Therabreath toothpaste and oral rinse and I also use the Hydropulse Irrigator which flushes out the nasal cavity and it is a throat irrigator too and it seems to help but it doesn't clear up the problem completely.  I was hoping by talking to someone else that has the same problem I might find some other ideas.  I read that you use benedryl.  The info that I have gotten says that using any medications that cause drying of the mouth will make the breath problem worse.  I'm willing to try anything at this point.  Do you have a taste disorder with your problem?  Like a sour or metallic taste?
A related discussion, mucus & bad breath was started.