Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
My chest xray
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My chest xray

I just had a chest xray and these are the findins:
Cardiac size is normal.  The lungs are hyperaerated.  Linear fibrotic reaction idientified in the right apex unchanged when compared to last year.  There is also some linear fibrosis at the left lung base. Pectus deformity of the sternum is present.  The bones are osteoporotic.
I have been a smoker for many years, but have slowed down over the past one year. I am 57 years old, very slim, but unactive. What should I do? I also have no health insurance HELP!
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
There are no findings of concern on your chest x-ray, save for the osteoporosis.  The linear fibrosis is just old scarring, probably from a previous infection.

You should do everything in your power to stop smoking and begin therapy for osteoporosis.  Without treatment for osteoporosis, you will be at significantly increased risk of fractures the rest of your life.  This is very important!

For optimum therapy for osteoporosis you will need a prescription medicine, such as alendronate.  You can begin treatment with an over the counter combination of calcium carbonate and Vitamin D such as Cal-CYUM and Caltrate® 600+D.  Avoid alcohol, since it may increase the risk of osteoporosis.  You should check with your doctor, if you are on any of the medicines listed below, that can interact with calcium and Vitamin D preparations.  Note also the precautions for food.
• calcium channel blockers (eg, verapamil) effects may be diminished, monitor response
• Digoxin®:  calcium supplementation may potentiate Digoxin® toxicity
• fluoroquinolones:  absorption may be significantly reduced; space administration times
• levothyroxine:  calcium carbonate and possibly other calcium salts may decrease T4 absorption; separate dose from levothyroxine by at least 4 hours
• Polystyrene sulfonate:  Potassium-binding ability is reduced; avoid concurrent use
• Tetracycline, Atenolol and potentially other beta-blockers, iron, fluoroquinolone antibiotics, alendronate, sodium fluoride, and zinc absorption are significantly decreased; space administration times
• thiazide diuretics can cause hypercalcemia (milk-alkali syndrome), monitor response
• food:  
1.  food may increase calcium absorption;
2.  calcium may decrease iron absorption;
3.  bran, foods high in oxalates, or whole grain cereals may decrease calcium absorption
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker