Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
My son/18yrs old/57lbs/4'10- severe low muscle tone called hypoto...

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

My son/18yrs old/57lbs/4'10- severe low muscle tone called hypotonia

My son was diagnosed with COPD this week.Jesse was born with many problems,one of the hardest is hislow muscle tone(like a raggedy ann doll)called hypotonia. For years my son  every 2 to 3 months comes down with what the doctor says is a virus. He gets a tremendous amount of mucus that he cannot cough up because of his muscle tone. He feels horribly ill and weak and the doctor only gives him some cough meds... finally when he is about to miss another week of school..the doc gives him a 5day cours of antibiotic until he suffers again a month or two down road. In the 2nd week of Sept Jesse started saying he couldn't take a DEEP Breath.by the 3rd week of Sept he started feeling frightened about not being able to take a deep breath. I took him to my Asthma doc who ran tests that said he had severe pulmonary obstruction.HE put Jesse on Advair. The med did nothing to help Jesse.doc did allergy tests and said no allergies.Jesse took allergy meds for years. Jesse then sent to a Pulmonogist,had all lung function tests (blood gases) and chest xray the pulmonary  doc doubles the strength of the advair and tells JEsse to come back in 6 week..the advair did not help. The doc now says he has severe Significant,pumlmonary obstruction,puts him on prevental and flovent, its a week and
he's not better at all.I want to know what is causing this obstruction. They just wantto give him asthma drugs...that are not helping him. please help me..what tests can be done to find out what is causing the obstruction? What meds can jesse take to break up phlem?could old phlem be blocking his lungs? thank
The description that you have provided suggests that your son does not suffer from asthma.  Having hypotonia in addition to a breathing problem may make it more difficult to find treatment that will help your son.

Generally testing for a breathing problem starts with a simple breathing test called spirometry.  You would exhale into a machine called a spirometer.  The spirometer would measure how much air is exhaled in the first second and the total amount of air exhaled.  The information gathered from this testing requires that the person being tested gives their best effort when exhaling.  Your son
I urge you to telephone the LUNG LINE nurses, at 800-222-LUNG(5864) on Monday, to get some advice about your son's situation.

If your son can be seen at Nat'l Jewish Medical & Research Center, in Denver, Colorado, that would be great. If not, the LUNG LINE nurses may be able to recommend some good doctors in your area.

Good luck to you & your son. You can call the LUNG LINE, and see if you can leave a message, if no-one is in, on the weekend.

Sincerely, Concerned lady
I urge you to ask for imaging that can show blood clots in the lungs.  My brother had this as a side-effect of a med he was on.  It was a mystery for weeks/months until an ER doc saw him and got the right answer.  (More than 12 other visits to various docs had already occurred.)  Good luck