Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
My son has trouble breathing at night

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

My son has trouble breathing at night

My 7 yr old son has had trouble sleeping since he was an infant.  He was never able to take a bottle, would either gag or refuse it.  He was always breast fed.  He started to gag on solid foods at 1 1/2 years old. and would throw up his food.   He has done this on and off for years, even with his favorite foods.  He has no problem with ice cream.  Last year he was having problems with attention and being tired in class, but never a behavioral issue.  This year the same thing but his teacher gave me more info that it was worse in the morning than in the afternoon.  I researched and  brought him to an ent to check for sleep apnea.  His finding were almost normal, slight deviated septum and adenoids (adenoids) at 2.5, Sleep study indicates 1 episode of OSA and 8 of central and a bunch of labored breathing episodes, no snoring.  he slept from 10 to 6, I don't think he got much REM sleep as a child that age needs at least 10 hours.  The neuro blew me off and said to reprogram his sleep cycle and if that doesn't work than it is ADHD, He Doesn't have ADHD, no one thinks that. Not the  teachers, the school physiologist the other Dr's involved.  His sleep quantity has improved but I can't say his quality has improved.  He still lets out gasps for air with groans, I have seen him lying on his back stopping breathing and his legs twitch as do the muscles in his throat.  We drove to Florida and he was strapped into his car seat sleeping up right behind the driver and I never heard a peep out of him as someone was always awake driving.  we have been to an oral surgeon to look for jaw and tongue deformities, nothing.  he thrust his tongue when he sleeps, sleeps with is mouth open, has speech problems which we are going to get treated.  bloodwork from our ped was  fine.  still has trouble with processing information and getting work done in a timely manner but is also working to do better and more accurate.  Why when he sleeps on his back he has trouble breathing and throat muscle spasms?
Tags: trouble breathing, sleep problems, speech problems, throat muscle spasms
I am sorry that your son has continued to have these potentially sleep related symptoms.  The key questions for me relates why did your son exhibit gagging on solid foods at age 1 ½ and why has he continued to have, “problems with attention and being tired in class  and still having trouble with processing information and getting work done in a timely man “? \ The question would be, are these symptoms a reflection of a sleep disorder, despite the “almost normal” sleep study or are they signs of a neurologic disorder?  

Why when he sleeps on his back does he have trouble breathing and throat muscle spasms?  I am sorry but I don’t have an answer to this question but I would wonder about the possibility of Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).  

I suggest that you request a meeting with the sleep specialist at which time you could discuss the question I pose in # 1 and the and the second question regarding GERD.

At some point you my also arrange for consultation with a Pediatric Neurologist unrelated to the first neurologist, whom you allege “blew me off.”

Good luck.