Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Needle Biopsy Inconclusive

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Needle Biopsy Inconclusive

After 2 CT scans of lungs for 1CM nodule that was speculated, doctor had CT aided needle biopsy which came back as inconclusive. Report said it could not confirm that sample received was from nodule. Report said recommended PET scan to determine status of nodule. Doctor is setting that up. My doctor says that since the nodule is speculated it still appears as cancer even though result of biopsy is inconclusive. Report also said it was possible that nodule was caused by Sarcoidosis or infectious process of lung.  Will PET give final answer to this nodule? Are there any other test I can talk to my doctor about? Doctor says because father died 3 months ago of Lung Cancer we should pursue but I don't know what to do after PET scan if it returns inconclusive? What likelihodd is it that this is Cancer? In PET returns inconclusive should I just have doctor moniter? If so how often?  I am a 48 YO male, smoker for 1 years quit for 6. Diagnosed with Sarcoidosis 15 years ago. No issues with that over 15 years. Doctor says other than this nodule lungs look very good!
Spiculation is a widely accepted, strongly suggestive, criterion for distinguishing between benign and malignant solitary nodules.  But it is not definitive.  And there are other established radiologic criteria to suggest that a lesion is likely to be benign or malignant including, but not limited to, the density of the nodule.  You might want to discuss these criteria with your doctor.

The inconclusive needle biopsy is just that
I just returned home from the hospital Wed due to a nodule measuring only 11mm.  It started 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and a CT was taken.  They found two nodules.  Both extremely small. One measured only 5 mm and was located in the right lung.  The other was smaller and located in the left lung.  After three years of growing very slowly the doctors did a PET scan.  It came back inconclusive for cancer.  They watched it for another 6 months and it grew a little more.  A needle biopsy was not recommended due to the needle may not hit a part of the nodule that could be cancerous. Because of my BC and the fact I smoked for 15 years at a much younger age, they decided I needed to have it removed. So I had a thoracotomy preformed. This is major surgery. I was in ICU for three days and general hospital for 2.  I was released early, because I have always recuperated quickly. They found it was double the size they had thought. It seems part of nodule had been hiding. They biopsed it while I was on the table.  It was inclusive for anything. So the wedge section they were going to do turned into a lobectomy.  Better safe than sorry. They preformed the surgery because they still were unable to tell. The part I hate is that the other nodule is still growing and they will be keeping an eye on it. The wait and see game starts all over again..I have decided this time to not worry about the what ifs. There is so much more in life to focus on. I know from experience the anxiety of waiting can drive you crazy. My plan this time is to enjoy life to it's fullest each and everyday. I have decided to not let this situation rob me of the precious time I have to spend with my friends and family.  I am hoping to live  at least another 30 years.  (I'm 55)  MP