New 6 mm nodule found on x-ray
I have bronchitis and had a chest x-ray done. I was told there appeared a 6 mm nodule on my upper right lung.  I am a 58 year old female who quit smoking almost 9 years ago. At that time I was told I had COPD. Could this be from the illness, bronchitis? What tests should I request when I go to the Pulmanary Doctor?

This discussion is related to small lung nodules.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

X rays are images and can show radiolucent or opaque shadows. And only a differential diagnosis can be obtained from this. Lung nodules can occur due to local causes like recurrent lung infections and sometimes due to cancer of the lungs. They can also be seen in systemic diseases like systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, sarcoidosis and scleroderma. Further evaluation will be based on whether the nodule is changing in size and systemic symptoms. A PET scan and biopsy may help in evaluation. A biopsy facilitates a histologic study of cells, which gives you a definite diagnosis. So once you have the diagnosis you will know what measures or precautions you need to follow.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.