Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
No explanation for cause of hole in my nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Last fall I had severe nose dryness and if I blew my nose I easily had nosebleeds. I have been to the Dr. 3x since them. They just tell that the inside of my nose is very inflamed but with no signs of infection.I have been on antibiotics, used saline spray, humidifiers, estrogen creme, vaseline, you name it, I've tried it. I began developing huge scabs in my nose and would blow them out. Last week my Dr. finally referred me to an ENT. I began reading about nasal septum and discovered the term perforated septum. I felt in my nose and thought I could feel a hole. After looking in the mirror with a flashlight I discovered one. Now I'm scheduled for a CT scan and more than likely surgery. The ? is why did this happen? I am not a drug user, never have been. No nose piercings either. I'm 44 and in excellent health. The doctors are baffled. All I can figure out is that with the months of nosebleeds and scabbing that it eventually wore out the tissue and a hole developed. I don't care if it stays the size it is, but I'm scared because they don't know the cause. I don't want this to continue and the hole to grow. What are your opinions and recommendations?
It is not so uncommon to have a perforated nasal septum.  It is likely that the reason that you have guessed is, indeed, the cause.  You may have started with an infection and developed a chronic inflammation.  This did not have a chance to heal to the outside, but rather grew deeper and finally wore through the septum.  Probably the ENT will culture the area to make sure that this is not a fungal infection, which has not been treated with conventional antibiotics.
Thanks for replying. I just am so scared and frustrated that this wasn't stopped sooner. I just don't want it to continue. The Dr. did call to tell me he wants to have me allergy tested also. Even though I'm on antibiotic, again, and it helps a little, the inside of my nostrils are still very inflamed. I am allowing scabs to form. This sounds so gross...but it is a med. site. Thanks, again.
My sister has been diagnosed with the same thing ( also  not a drug user). She previously had an ear infection. Why is a CT scan required and also is the surgery exploratory or to close the hole ? thanks for your help
I have scabs in my nose too.I dont know what caused it neither but it is very anoying.I have to constantly pick at it because I know its there.Hopefully it will go away one day