Respiratory Disorders Community
Nocturnal low blood oxygen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Nocturnal low blood oxygen

Hi, After having pneumonia 6 mos.ago,  I have been using oxygen at night .During the day the levels are in the 90s, but the last overnight oximeter test showed a sudden drop to the mid to low 70s  on two occasions. 4AM and 6AM .. I don't know how long this lasted (I have the graph, but can't tell) .. I'm seeing my primary this week. What should I be asking aside from what this may be caused from. I would think a sleep study would be in order.?? Ideas? Thank you, Sandy
If your drop in sats to the 70's lasted for much of any time at all, you probably would benefit from either a CPAP or an oral appliance to correct for sleep apnea (either one to be used in addition to, not instead of, your nocturnal o2).   A sleep study is generally quite expensive, and, since you already know that you are desaturating, I'm not sure that you need to have a sleep study unless you have other symptoms that suggest that you need a sleep study to check for other conditions (for instance restless leg syndrome).  I hope this helps.
Regards,
Patricia