Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Nodule found in lower lobe of left lung

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Nodule found in lower lobe of left lung

I am a 48 year old male who was diagnosed with Sarcodosis 15 years ago and at the time I was put on both inhalant and oral steriods for about 6 months. I never had any symptoms and the doctor said after looking at xrays 1 year later said the Sarcoidosis was in remission. Last week while undergoing a CT Scan in ER for Diverticulitis a approxiamately 1 1/2" Nodule was seen on the lower lobe of my left lung. In discussing this with my current Physician he stated that he had never heard of Sarcoidosis re-occuring in a patient and ordered a full CT Scan to be done on my lungs. That was done no Tuesday and I am waiting for results. According to this physician Xrays over last 5 years have been "Clear". Can this be sarcoidosis? Is it likely not? He stated they might want to do needle biopsy depending on CT Scan, is that the logical next step? I had a Biopsy of Lymph node to disagnose original Sarcoid not needle biopsy. I am very worried about this as I was a 1 pack smoker for about 15 years quitting 6 years ago. Thanks for your input.
Recurrence of previously inactive sarcoidosis is quite uncommon, but can occur.  This nodule could be sarcoidosis, but it is unlikely.  That cannot be the assumption.  Many such nodules prove to be benign, many of which are called granulomas.  The description of previously normal x-rays indicates that this is a new nodule and your physician's recommendation of a biopsy is appropriate, including a needle biopsy, especially if the nodule is peripheral.

The CT scan may resolve the issue if it strongly suggests a typically benign or malignant lesion.  If not you might ask your doctor about the value of an MRI.  There are reports that the combination of CT and MRI is more often diagnostic than either one alone.
For the past year I have been having chronic lung inflammation.  At first they thought it was pnuemonia (pneumonia), however, further testing PFT, VATS, Open Lung, and 2 bronchoscopes prove it is Sarcoidosis and Atypical Mycobacteria Non Tubercolosis.

Next week I am to have a Gallium Scan and possibly another broncho-lavage wash to see if they can capture more of the organism.  It seems it is very rare for me to have the later portion of the disease because I am a 46 year old black female.  Infectious Disease doctor told me this is something that normally affects 2 in 100,000 people.  Mainly middle aged, thin, white females or HIV+ people of which I am none.

I am told there is no cure for Atypical Mycobacteria but it is treatable.  Only thing, I am allergic to the drugs used for treatment and thus my life expectancy may be cut short.

Are their drugs on the market besides Biaxin that treat this organism?  On top of all that I am also an asthmatic.