Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Nodules in throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Nodules in throat

I have a co-worker that was told 5 weeks ago that she had a nodule in her throat and to rest her voice - it's been 5 weeks and she refuses to talk because it hurts.  Is the hurting her recovery? or is the right way to treat this?  Please help I am lossing my mind - she can't help answer the telephone or help customers - very frustrating!!!
I assume that your co-worker was told that she had a vocal cord nodule.  The most important question is how the diagnosis was made.  If it was not confirmed by direct examination of her larynx and vocal cords, with the use of an instrument designed for this purpose (a fiberoptic laryngoscope), an experienced physician can have a high index of suspicion of nodule(s), based on clinical findings.   However, the persistence of symptoms with voice rest is worrisome, as is the persistence of pain which is not generally a symptom of nodules.  Thus the pain could be caused by something other than a nodule.

Nodules are generally treated with voice rest and speech therapy.

At this time, the best suggestion I can give is that she should see a throat specialist (ENT), both to confirm the diagnosis and to recommend the proper therapy.  

Good luck