Nose bleed break out while sleeping
What causes a nose bleed to start when one is sleeping?

We have had a series of cold days/nights in New Jersey (USA), but it had been warmer for a few days before last Thursday when I woke up about 3 AM with  a nose bleed... one too bad to stop on my own.  This was aggravated by the fact I am on an anticoagulant for protection against blood clot formation - not good when you are bleeding.

I went to ER and ended up with a Rhino Rocket (balloon) in my left nostril - that was removed by an ENT the next day, Friday last.  No bleeding since and I have a follow up with the ENT in early February.

I can say the USA medical system still works great, my case was handled on no less than what I consider a VIP basis.  Hope we don't lose this fine medical system we have up to now.

Question?  Yes, any recommendation on prevention against a future nose bleed: yes, humidification which I have increased in my home, I purchased some Vaseline (Walmart Equate) to put in my nostrils and have increase use of saline nasal spray - I used this anyway to help reduce my night time nasal congestion.  I'll discuss this congestion further with "my' new ENT doctor on the follow up.  

Question: I use Afrin nasal anti-congestion spray a couple of times a week when I just "need" an overnight of open nasal breathing.  That stuff works great but can't be used ongoing.  I wonder if my use may have contributed to the nose bleed.  I did not us Afrin the night before the bleed problem developed.

If I learn anything I'll add it to this thread.

Happy breathing to all.
I found a good on how to be ready for a bleeding episode, nose or on the open skin.  I posted this in an replay on Blood Disorder Community,  Rather than retype I proved a link below for anyone interested in learning one of the "best kept secretes in medicine" and over-the-counter too

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Blood-Disorders/clotting-/show/2068099