Respiratory Disorders Community
Nose smells bad

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Nose smells bad

My nose lets out this offensive odor that make people cringe - it's smells like poo, rotting flesh, etc...  It is heightened in enclosed surroundings with air conditioning in offices or cars etc...  I have this nasal odor problem for several years now and every time I am in enclosed surroundings amongst people or on a one on one discussion in a room with someone... I see a reaction after a few minutes the person slides their chair back almost every single time.  It is become a dreaded problem and seems to be progressively getting worse.   At first I used to thing it was my mouth and went thru gallons of mouth washes, expensive brushes, baking sodas, dentists extractions etc..  Later discovering the problem was more my nose.
I have lost and missed out on some excellent work opportunities because this disease and I have been let go from my jobs (of course they make up some other excuses why they had to let me go) only to find myself completely out of work.  A reasonably intelligent person brought down by this terrible disease.  If you have any solution to this problem I would greatly appreciate it.  
Your problem is remarkably common on this forum, so at least you know that you are not some kind of freak.  All I can tell you is some of the things I've noted here, with no guarantees.
1.  Some people, including myself, have had a smell that only they can smell.  It could smell like dog-poop, old cheese, ammonia, a burning smell, etc.  The smell comes on, often, as a result of a cold or sinus infection. Some, not all, of these smells are caused by an anaerobic bacteria thriving in the upper sinuses, and I was able to remove mine with a Flip-Turn Sinus Flush, and many other people have had success with it as well:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.

2.  Some people had the smell, but were able to get rid of it with long-term antibiotics.
3.  Some people had cysts or polyps, which blocked off parts of their sinuses, and created a pocket of infection.  One woman, after reading my journal, made an appointment with Dr. Murray Grossan, who invented the Grossan Irrigation Machine, and he removed her cyst and the smell went away.
4.  One man did a sinus flush, and some white tofu-like chunks came out.  The smell actually got worse for a while, then went back to normal.
5.  Many people, particularly the ones who have a strong odor that other people are revolted by, had no change at all after doing a Sinus Flush.
6.  One woman found out that the smell was coming from a cracked tooth that her dentist was unable to find, but was discovered by a different dentist.
7.  Some smells can come from liver or kidney diseases, or from acid reflux in the stomach.
8.  Some smells can come from having a bad mix of bacteria in the intestines, and somehow the smell comes out through the sinuses or lungs.  The best solution that I have seen is The Schwarzbein Principle by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, MD.
9.  There is a disease called atrophic rhinitis, which involves the decay of the mucus membranes in the sinuses.  I don’t know much about it, that’s what ENTs and Google are for.
10.  There are people who have been to multiple ENTs, and the doctors are completely mystified.
11.  There may be a possibly be a fungal infection, possibly invasive, that doesn’t flush out with saline, but that’s just a hypothesis.
12. Another hypothesis: Some of the problems may be caused by the same kind of bacteria that cause tonsilloliths, or tonsil stones.
13.  Finally, some patients have doctors who have diagnosed a yeast infection in the gut, which cause the smell which comes out through the sinuses or breath, and prescribed Fluconazole 150mg.  This looks somewhat promising, but Fluconazole must be administered by a doctor at any rate.  Here is the Medhelp thread for that:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Bad-smell-coming-from-noseFound-a-Cure-Yayyyy/show/520721

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/Weird-Smell-in-my-Nasal-passage-will-not-go-away/show/1080376
For some more information about the fungus, put the following in your search engine:

“Fungal Theory Debated in Amphotericin B Controversy”

That's all I got. Good luck

That's all I got. Good luck
Thanks for taking the time to answer in detail, I really do appreciate it.  I will start with the flip-turn and hope for the best.   If that doesn't work I will start crossing out other possibilities.

Cheers!
I also had this problem and friggy did a good job of laying out options.

In my case after multiple runs with a heavy duty antibiotic, which helped but only temporarily, I started doing a sinus wash with Batroban inside it, and a hydrogen peroxide mouth wash (not actual HP, but a HP based mouthwash. Cleared it right up. I assume I had bacteria festering.
I'm not a Doctor but I know that this kind of disease is unkown for most of Doctors out there it may be Ozena, also known as (atrophic rhinitis), is a rare chronic inflammatory disease that affects the lining of the nasal cavity.

Treatment involves combination of antibiotics and other types of medication, vitamin therapy and systemic estrogens geared toward reducing the crusting and eliminating the odor.
After treated avoid get Flu or cold because it can trigger the previous condition if not treated in days.

If you feel that the whole world or air smells like an infected wound wrapped in a dirty sweat sock, that would be it.

Don't keep yourself in a close room, look for a Doctor on is 30s to 49 they may get is right.

I got that and it lasted 7 years only one Doctor got it rigth the youngest fot sure. A surgery was required in my case it fixed most of the symptoms but the smell did't go away, it just changes to
different things every week, sometimes  medicine, burning rubber, asphalt, propane gas, fish never a good thing it last 2 years after the surgery.
My case got solved only when I joined a Christian Church. Smell would go away while I was in Church but I had to pray for that. One day while praying  in Jesus name I promise God that if  He would give me a cure I would server him for life. I got well in about 5 days. I just feel bad for not keeping my promise. Try to keep yours or just don't promise anything .

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec19/ch221/ch221g.html provides an extensive overview of the various types of rhinitis, including ozena
I have foul odor in my nose also. And I am an MD!
If you think your "case got solved by joining a Christian Church", YOU must have a smelly brain. Praying does not cure your poop smell in your nostril. Medicine might have a solution. Science Fiction will waste your time and your nose poop will smell like llama ****. Get real! There IS no  g o d,  my friend...
Good luck to you and make an appt. to see us sooner than later.

AtheistsRULE  
To: Findout
If you think your "case got solved by joining a Christian Church", YOU must have a smelly brain. Praying does not cure your poop smell in your nostril. Medicine might have a solution. Science Fiction will waste your time and your nose poop will smell like llama S**T. Get real! There IS no  g o d,  my friend...
How do you know there is no god?  Obviously there is if findout prayed for a healing and was delivered from his ailment.  some god, somewhere heard him and answered his prayers.  Don't knock it till you try it, I don't understand why atheists feel the need to attack others for their faith, just because you don't understand the different frequencies, vibrations or mystical phenomenas doesn't make it false or untrue.  Obviously you are just in the dark, and calibrated at the lowest point of vibration a human can possibly be at, in other words you are subhuman.  I really am sorry for your state and know this lack you are experiencing can be remedied by praying for deliverance (in Jesus' name of course) otherwise you are condemned.
I have same problem.