Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
O2 sat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

O2 sat

Thank you for this site. I am 53 with a history of allergies, thick post nasal drip, occassional wheezing and GERD.  I wake up in the mornings with some sticky mucous that I cough up that feels like it's mostly on the right side. It's not a lot. Also when I lay down I immediately hear some wheezing up near my trachea, If I cough a few times it goes away. A friend has an O2 sat machine that I have checked my oxygen on quite a few times. While i'm upright it ranges from 94-96. At times goes to 92. If I cough just a little, clear my throat or take a slow deep breath it goes right up to 97-98 then returns to around 94-95. The other thing that I noticed is that if I check right when I lie down, it'll drop down to 91-94 and hovers in the low 90's, but basically 94. If i gently take a deep breath it goes up over 96-98 then goes back down. I thought O2 sats should be over 95?  I checked it after walking up the stairs and it doesn't drop, sometimes goes up higher.
I was wondering: What would cause my oxygen level to be on the mid to lower end and if the numbers are ok? Should I be worried. I feel fine. COuld this just be my base level?m I have had maybe 2 bronchitisis and sinus infections in my life, never pneumonia. I had a chest xray about 3 months ago which they said no acute disease. I don't know if I breathe shallow and if this could cause it.
Thank you for your response.
The slight variation in oxygen saturation with postural change that you have described is within normal limits and the limits of the oximeter.  What is more important is that your oxygen does not fall, with your walking up the stairs.  If your doctor attributes your postnasal drip to allergies, that should be treatable.  You should ask, however, if the wheezing is an indication of asthma.  If so, that might require treatment.  If you smoke you should quit, for that would aggravate your nose, sinuses and lungs.
i forgot to say I smoked and quit a few months ago.