Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Odd feeling in chest

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Odd feeling in chest

I don't know if this is respiratory or not, but here it goes.  Lately, I have had this odd sensation in the base of my throat and down the middle of my chest.  The only way I can explain it is it has the feeling when you get when you have run too hard.  You know how you kind of have that achy, cooling feeling after you have had a brisk run?  That is what it feels like, but I have not been exerting myself.  When I take a deep breath, I can feel it more.  I don't know if this is pulmonary or realted to my GERD.  I apologize that I can't explain it better.  I also have little pains from time to time on either side of my chest.  Could this be an infection or something more serious?  It seems to be centrally located in the base of my throat and down the middle of my chest/sternum area and kind of off to the side a bit.
You will need to share your concerns with your doctor to know for sure if what you are experiencing is pulmonary, related to your gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), an infection, or something more serious.

It is possible for this to be pulmonary.  Generally testing for a breathing problem starts with a simple breathing test called spirometry.  It measures how your lungs are working.  You exhale into a machine called a spirometer.  The spirometer measures how much air you can exhale in the first second and how much air you can exhale total.  For the testing to accurately measure how your lungs are working, it is important that you give your best effort when exhaling.

It is also possible for this to be related to your GERD.  If this is the case it means that your GERD is not being controlled by your present treatment.  A pH probe could determine if this is the problem.  This test measures the acid in your esophagus to see if digestive juices are coming up from your stomach into your esophagus.

This could also be an unusual type of angina or chest pain.  Check with your doctor to be sure there is no problem with blockage of the blood vessels that supply your heart.  Of course, your symptoms could be totally unrelated to any of your present health problems.  A chest x-ray may be helpful in finding other causes.
sometimes heart arrythmias present this way...check your pulse on your wrist and see if its regular or not
It appears to be normal.  I do check my pulse a lot.  I have MVP, so I don't know if that has anything to do with my feeling or not.  I go to see my PCP tomorrow.  Thanks for responding.