Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Odor released when exhaling--How do I get rid of it?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

With these nose problems, when you exhale through the nose do you release the odor? Other people around me complain about an odor that a doctor claims is released from my nose. Could this be a symptom of a post nasal drip problem? Not sure if this is relevant at all, but its usualy worse when my stomach is empty.  Its very hard going to class everyday knowing many students are disgusted by the odor.  Thanks
This could be a symptom of postnasal drip.  It could also be a symptom of sinusitis.

Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, a stuffy nose, achy teeth, an odor coming from your nose, postnasal drip, cough, sore throat, laryngitis, constant low fever, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.  A CT scan of the sinuses is the best way to identify sinusitis.

This inflammation can block sinus drainage and cause increased mucus production.  The mucus can drain from the nose and sinuses down the back of the throat causing a constant or intermittent postnasal drip and odor coming from your nose.  This can fester sinusitis.

There could be several reasons for postnasal drip.  One reason is an allergy.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious inflammation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  Postnasal drip can cause breathing difficulty as a result of irritation of the throat and lungs.  You may experience the postnasal drip as a feeling of mucus at the back of your throat.  The mucus may "sit" there, especially when it is thick, and cause an odor to come from your nose.  It may not move with coughing or snorting.

As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily.  This will thin the mucus so that it moves more easily.  An antihistamine can dry up the postnasal drip.  However, it may make the mucus thicker and more difficult to move.  A decongestant like Sudafed
Sounds like you could have a simple sinus infection. Old mucous could be giving off that offensive odor. Or, it could be coming from your mouth. Do you have bad gums? do you brush your teeth as often as you should? It could just be halatosis. (bad breath)

Andy, RRT,CPFT
Yes I do in fact have bad gums, but I am scheduled to have root canal surgery on Tuesday so that should take care of my gums.  I'm a little wary about the alleviation of the problem after the surgery because I believe the odor is stemming from my stomach as the odor transforms when eating certain foods.  Also, you said it could be a simple sinus infection---could a sinus infection last 3 years?
Ever hear of Chronic Sinusitis? Absoluitely! Some simple antibiotics could nip this in the bud. But it sounds to me your gums could very well be the primary problem. Dont forget, the foods you eat slide into those neat little hiding places and just sit there. Aside from burping, food in the stomach doesn't cause bad breath my friend.

Good luck with your root canal....AcK!

-Andy, RRT,CPFT
Hey Showtime,

From your comments, I suspect that I am probably suffering the same problem as you. I am quite certain that there is a bad odor released from my nose by looking at the reaction of people around me. It's really hell going through everyday life with this problem.

I too have the same symptom that you mentioned, which is the smell is especially strong on an empty stomach.

Would you like to keep in contact with me so that we can update each other on the progress of our problem and hopefully find solutions?

Please email me at danny_needs_help***@**** if you are willing to respond.

Cheers

Hey Showtime,

Cheers

A related discussion, Did anyone find a cure? was started.