Respiratory Disorders Community
Odors no one else smells

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Odors no one else smells

I smell odors (bad smelling) that no one else smells.  I feel like I smell, my house and anything close to me, but no one else smells it.  What is happening?  This has been going on for several weeks.  It was weeks before I realized no one smelled it.

This discussion is related to I smell things no one else does.
Avatar n tn
My Husaband smells odors  no one else smells. He says it's coming from his feet or butt. This occurs when he is out in public he thinks people smell him and have covered their nose when he is present. Please help ,what can this be. I don't smell him
Hi.  Just a remote possibility, and don't mean to scare you, but mini seizures can cause an aura where you smell really bad smells.  Does it happen only in certain places, or only at certain times?   Another possibility is anxiety.
Avatar n tn
In women such smell can be pregnancy. Sometimes, actually 2/3 of the times fertilized egg does not survive ( for unknown reasons, or a mate having bad sperm), but symptom like distorted smell gets set in already, and it takes a couple of weeks for it to disappear.

Another reason could be diabetes, or kidney disease. However, I am not a doctor.
i have similar problem but i smell a scent of Male cats i can smell it from far and no body else smell it. i dont have problems with it but its wired,
anyone?
thanks
I smell vomit, but no one else does. I did this sinus flush that flushed out my upper sinuses and a bunch of green mucus came out. I had my boyfriend smell it and he almost threw up. I still have the smell, but it's not as bad since I did the flush.
  THESE SMELL'S,NOTICE  I SAID SMELL'S,BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE THAN ONE USUALLY WAKE ME UP FROM A SOUND SLEEP. DIFFERENT SMELLS ,BUT ALL ARE AWFUL SMELLS.IN MY NOSEGOES THROUGH ALL SMELLS .I HAVE TO GET UP SMELL OF SOMETHING STRONG TO TRY TO GET THE SMELLS TO GO AWAY .I AM ALMOST 70 YEARS OLD,HAVE COPD, ASTHMA .DIABETES, CLL,HIGH BLOOD P, PLEASE HELP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hi, I don't have cats so I thought I smelled dog pee all over the house, until I noticed that the smell followed me to the car, the restaurant etc. It is very intense .At the same time while I enjoy my food it's like it,s spoils instantly in my mouth. I keep rinsing with Listerine constantly helps for awhile. While I have some medical conditions, such as MDS, the doctors do not seem to think it is related.
hello. i have been looking everywhere online to find something like this... someone at work sprayed lysol ALL over the other day and since them i can smell something that no one else does and it smells so bad. i actually cry. i went to the dr and im using nasal saline but that isnt helping... i dunno what to do anymore
For about 6 months I have had this terrible "dead" like smell happen in my right nostril every day around 10am to 11am then go away around 1pm.
I can almost set a watch by it. It is really bad. I was treated for Sinus Infection, but that did not help. It still happens every day. Sometimes a little sooner or a little later, but within the 10am to 11am window. The only change I can notice on my body is my back right Molar has gone from straight to almost sideways; and has turned black around the gum line. There is no pain. Any ideas on why it comes and goes on (A) almost schedule?

i have a bad smell in my nose that smells like poo and i do suffer with anxiety and wonder if this is causing the problem
Had this awful sewer smell for bout 5mos seems like its alot stronger when I bend down so for,a while assuming that it was tge drains at work which is a bar/ resturant. Though lately it has been follow me home again I really noticable when I bemd down. I went to dr he said a I viral sinus infection and prescribed me some Clairtin I didnt get script right away so I was using a decongestant and my cabinet I believe it with sudafed
I finally picked up the prescription and it hasn't done anything the Sudafed seemed to work for the first couple hours his theory is that the inflammation and drainage of the sinus is what's causing the smell an infection it's been over a week and as I said the perscription he's prescribed it doesn't seem to work as well as the over the counter decongestant. I have spoken with a few of my friends in nursing and feel that it sounds more of a bacterial infection
I have it too, and it's terrible. It gets worse when I have pain in my right palate and my molar gets loose. I understand these are symptoms of peridontal disease but I can't find anything linking peridontal disease to sinusitis. I took a full course of flagyl and the smell went away for about a month, but its has recently returned. It's as people describe; there's an intermittent strong odor of dead cat or similar rotting flesh smell. How can there be no permanent solution for this?
Mine just started that very same thing a couple of weeks ago.  
Everyone in the house thinks I am insane, but the smell of ammonia is about to drive me to live in a tent!!
We covered the whole house with a black light to make sure I didn't kill an innocent cat (thank goodness 'cause he WAS innocent!)
How do you make it stop???
I myself seem to be getting an unexplained smell of what can be described as horrific breath or poo, I am so paranoid my tooth is rotting but I have asked my girlfriend to smell my breath at the time and it wasn't me, sometimes I smell it at work when people are talking to me and my mouth is shut. I am so paranoid its me! but its just so random I don't see how it can be!
my husband also feels it too.. he is paranoid when somebody
around him touching their nose,he feels they smell bad from him..but i cant smell any bad smell from him

May i ask if you find any cure ..thank you for sharing..
i really appreciate whatever it is...

i really appreciate whatever it is...
im 29, male with this problem combined with high anxiety so needless to say my life is over until i get this figured out. it started a few years ago now and i have bought a second stick of pit stick for the problem but isn't really helping cause im too embarrassed to talk to anyone. I also have two wisdom teeth that need to be pulled and i suspect it could have something to do with it, my sister had a lot of bad teeth and when she had them removed the smell dissipated (wasn't the same smell however). Also i was reading a previous page that stated constipation can cause fould odors as well so im gonna try a laxative and have my teeth looked at. I hope someone figures this out. I will post my results and hope i can help someone. unfortunately for me tho, other people can smell it, my brother has called attention to it :(
Since last week, I started smelling vomit/poop. Nobody else in my family smells it. Every morning since then, I do wake up with a very dry throat and a stuffy nose. When I blow my nose, green flaps or flake like crap comes out. This has only started since last week. I have no idea whats going on
I've been waking up with a horrible smell...every time I smell the same thing and I really can't explain what it smells like..I get nausea ,vomiting,black vision with bright circles,weak especially in my arms and tingling sensation throughout my body...can anyone help
I, too, have had this phantom smell "disorder" for a few months and the only place I can find real information is at http://www.tasteandsmell.com/aug07.htm

The call it Cyclic Smell Distortions and claim that it is caused by brain seizures that do not effect the body's motor system, just the olfactory nerve which gives the sense of smell.
I am a 53 year old man. I have full dentures top and bottom.so don't think it's to do with bad teeth as I don't have any left. im also getting this pungent smell, like rotten flesh or mould is how I would describe it,.its driving me mad, as no one near me can smell it..I've tried using tooth paste. Nasal sniffs.now I put aftershave under my nasal passage to try to clear it..but it won't go away. It clears after a few weeks then comes back. Been with me for one week again....what's the cure. I haven't been to the doctors about it yet. But that looks like the next step...been getting this for a few years now.
I smell an oder several times a day, no one else smells it.  I feel like it is external but obviously it is in my nose, it is always the same smell.  At first I blamed my dogs for passing gas  but then I smelled it when I was in town and  many places where my dogs were far away.  This is unbelievable I am glad to know I am not the one.  Now we nee a cure.
My name is Jeremy and I HAVE THE EXACT SAME ISSUE! I have asked my coworkers to stand by me when I smell it but they smell nothing. My wife says she never smells anything either. Please if you know what the root of this may be email me ***@****
do you only get it when using the Computer, desk or Laptop I have heard folks say thats when they smell the smell'
I use a little dab of tea tree oil, if I am staying home and a more pleasant oil, like mint, if I am going out. So I can go on smell-cation, like a vacation for your smells!
I have the same thing going on with me, it started about 2 months ago, I went on line & somewhere ther they said it could be lack of good bacteria in your gut.  I went to my health food store & he said that I need to take a probiotic  capsule as the smell is coming up your nose from your gut & only you can smell it. I've  been taking 2- 50 billion  capules a day for 2 weeks, now somedays its not as bad as it was but from what I understand it takes awhile maybe a few months to work & you may have to take a weaker dose the rest of your lifeif you have found anything else since you put this on line, I sure would like to know.  I haven,t joined this site yet but I will & I will be .
For the past 46 months Ive been able to smell peoples' needs. It is a violent, noxious odor, loyal to no particular being, and traceable to no specific location. Its first whiffs surfaced at seemingly dissimilar places; bars, church raffles, fertility clinics, and my first (and subsequently last) Incubus concert. It has progressively worsened with few methods available to cope. Masking my face and nose only intensifies its pungency. My personal relationships have now all but completely dissolved. The slightest attempt to embrace in a simple hug can trigger the potent stench through my olfactory. I would describe to you the qualities of this smell if able, but there is no match. It exists as I do now, alone and without counterpart. I believe this smell cannot be entirely of this world. Perhaps I am not either. Thank you. Good morning.
I too have been having this EXACT problem for months!!! I was diognosed with sinusitis but antibiotics didnt get rid of it! Its terrible! Nobody can smell what i'm smelling. My sense of smell & taste are basically gone unless its a really strong smell even then i can just barely smell it, the awful unexplainable smell i smell is literally all i can smell all the time! It gets extremely strong (it 's nauseating ) when it first started i thought it was my babies pee, the house ect until i began smelling it while driving or in other places. I realized it was my nose. When it started i also had congestion, a bright green/yellow nasal mucus that seemed never ending and toothpain. Now (months later congestion/toothpain is basically gone, the smell is there just a little less or i'm becoming used to it! I try to explain what i am smelling to others but its impossible, its "close" but i can never pinpoint it exactlt. (Cat spray(when in heat), rotten, urine, a mix of them all idk ! ) its freaking unbearible. I get so frustrated i just cry
Okay your comment is invalid because no doctor knows what you're even trying to say. Pregnant women smell bad smells because of their invalid pregnancy? Knock off the b/s
i am smelling a dog smell. Do not know wht to do?
I am taking probiotic everyday from so many years also.
I am going to trying yoga breathing exercise.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034244_yoga_bad_breath.html
HI, so at times I smell the filth of cigarettes, and being a non-smoker, it is repulsive.  I started looking at this as a warning that I was missing something in my diet, and began experimenting with different foods from what I normally eat.  And, yes, I have been able to get rid of the smell!  
When that foul smell is in my nose, I eat sauerkraut, usually raw, not cooked, and the smell goes away quickly.  I can also drink lemonade, not the one with all the sugar, but fresh lemonade and the smell also goes away, not as fast though as with the sauerkraut.  Hope this helps someone else.
I have somewhat of a similar experience with all the comments but this was thd first time I constantly smelt the same bad odor. It was me, yeah but it wasn't the actual smell, does that make sense? Whatever smelt, was not related to what I was doing. I had smoked 'G' for 2 days & then suddenly smelt the same thing over & over. The smell of a cigarette was no longer the smell anymore, it was that same smell i smelt on everything that I know would smell. Sure, I sprayed cologne but not even after 30 min it goes back to that same smell. The smell was indescribable. Like plastic or something but it sure made me nauseous about 5 times today. Even the pizza I ate today smelt like it. Is it that you guys forgot to include smoking meth or is it just me?
I think these smells are spirit trying to getcyoyr attention