Respiratory Disorders Community
Ongoing bouts of pleurisy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Ongoing bouts of pleurisy

I was diagnosed in 2007 with moderate COPD. I have had pleurisy about 5 times within the past year. Several episodes I went to the doctor for. The first bout of pleurisy was January last year. It was the worse case of pleurisy, that I have had yet. Took almost 3 mths. to get over. Went to the doctor and given an antibiotic. Last month had another episode of pleurisy. Went to the doctor for that and once again given an antibiotic. I recovered from that episode within a week. I have had several other bouts of pleurisy, but took ibuprofen and got over it within 4 to 5 days. Just this morning I got up and now I have pleurisy again. I believe this bout will pass, with the aid of ibuprofen. Anyone that has ever had pleurisy knows that it can be quite painful. I know that I have a lung disease and that problems are going to occur. And it seems one of the problems that I am going to keep having is this pleurisy. I will be okay when I go to bed and each time I get it, I wake up with it. I understand what pleurisy is. My question is will these episodes that I keep having with pleurisy, cause any further damage to my lungs or weaken them any further? Thank you very much.