Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Out of breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Out of breath

Well I can walk maybe 45 or 50 feet and I'm carrying a load of dirty cloths and I get to the washer I'm feeling out of breath and sometimes it's scary. And sometimes it doesn't , or I can carry something like around 50 pds or even walking fast and I feel like I'm not getting enough air and I got it in my head that something is really wrong with me and I'm going to die, and then sometimes I'm fine. I've had 3 episodes were I felt like my chest was on fire and sick to my stomach got shacky and felt like I could not get enough air, but I know I was, and that was scary. I hope someone can tell me what's going on. Some one told me I was having an anxiety attack, I don't know, please help thank you.
That you are “fine” some of the time is good news.  However such fluctuating symptoms are consistent with anxiety and or a physical respiratory problem, for example, asthma, or even a heart problem for example an abnormal heart rhythm some of the time and not others.  

For those reasons, it is important that you and your doctor determine exactly what is causing your symptoms, so to be better able to successfully treat them.

I suggest that you seek your doctor’s advice;  have him/her examine your lungs at rest, and with exertion comparable to your carrying the wash.  Then testing of your lungs (Spirometry or pulmonary function tests) and evaluation of your heart with an EKG and possible continuous heart rhythm monitoring could follow.

I suspect that whatever the cause, it will be treatable, with relief of your symptoms.

Good luck