Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Oxygen Therapy After Pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Oxygen Therapy After Pneumonia

I was diagnosed with Bacterial Pneumopnia March 30 at the ER.  I was hospitalized for 4 days.  My oxygen blood level was only 88 walking.  They sent me home with oxygen to be used 24 hours a day.  After a week I saw my physician, and he tested me again.
Walking without oxygen was still low. April 26 I visited him again, and my oxygen blood level was low again walking, but my resting level was good, in the 95, or 90's range.  He said I have to exercise on a stationary bike for two weeks, and walk at least a quarter of a mile.  I'm over weight, and have bad knees.  He said loosing weight, and exercise is crucial to my recovery.  He said I can take the oxygen off while resting, but I still need it when exercising.  I'm afraid to take it off at night.  Will it be ok if I still use it until I see my doctor in 2 weeks at night?  I take it off while resting at other activities.  Is it normal to need oxygen , and feel week after pneumonia?  I'm a 55 year old woman with borderline high blood pressure.  Is it realy safe to take the oxygen off at night?  I feel traumatized by the Pneumonia.  I was once a busy active woman.
What you are experiencing is very normal after pneumonia!

Pneumonia is inflammation of the lung.  This is most commonly due to an infection.  Since you had bacterial pneumonia, inhaling bacteria was the cause of your infection and antibiotics would help.  Additional treatment for pneumonia may include rest, fluids, oxygen, and inhaled medicine depending on the nature and severity of your symptoms.

Recovery from pneumonia varies based on the germ, your overall health, and how soon effective treatment is started.  It may be months after finishing the course of antibiotics, until your oxygen level is consistently above 90% and you
Hello! I am just curious...have you ever had an overnight oximetry test?? That would tell if your oxygen levels are low at night. I am glad you are slowly getting better, keep moving like the doc says. Mine is always after me, in fact, I go to pulmonary rehab twice a week. I have worn oxygen for about a year and a half now, tough to get used to but now I feel wierd without it. Last summer I was able to stay off the oxygen during rest, now I can't get off of it at all.  I use BiPAP at night, the respiratory therapist did an overnight oximetry on me to see if I was oxygenating well enough- it was a pretty easy test, just a probe clipped to your finger overnight and the machine does all of the rest! Probably the least painful test I have had done on myself! Bring this up to your doctor and see what he thinks about it. Take care and have a good day!-Sunnydaffy